What's new

Reports of Tentative Truce, Amnesty for Militants as Pakistan Negotiates with Outlawed TTP

A good deal…

It’ll break TTP into different groups. Some groups will join the Indian funded ISIS, which is fighting the Taliban too! Then it’ll be easier to take them out….

If Revenge means more Pakistanis die then I don't want it.

Guys ASAK.
A simple question? How many of you know the dynamics of the TTP uprising and what are the difficulties in countering them?
I ask this question as it seems none of you have actually studied the Afghan war, its implications on the tribal belt, the resistence and how it has transpired and developed into TTP.
Once I know how much you know I will try and explain why it is so important to batten these doors down and why the time for this is NOW.
A

i don’t know, I would really appreciate if you could take time to explain. Thank you so much.

And as I don’t know the dynamics il very unhappy with the temporary understanding .

1A7D8F18-EB9E-4FD2-A0D3-2D6F98EC9976_cx0_cy2_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

FILE - Armed militants of Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) pose for photographs next to a captured armored vehicle in the Pakistan-Afghanistan border town of Landikotal, November 10, 2008.

Pakistan is engaging in peace talks with the outlawed militant alliance known as the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) in an effort to steer them away from years of anti-state violence, according to unnamed officials who are playing down the significance of negotiations in its early stages.

Multiple officials in Islamabad confirmed Friday the dialogue is ongoing in Afghanistan, and that the neighboring country's new Taliban rulers are aiding the process.

"It is ongoing. Nothing concrete as of now," one of the sources, who asked that his name be withheld to speak candidly, told VOA.

Another source said the process is aimed at bringing TTP "foot soldiers who are not involved in serious crimes against the state" back into Pakistan's constitutional and legal framework. A proposed amnesty for the militants also is under consideration in line with the country's constitution, they added.

99a42682-35d4-45fb-80e0-b87ad98c267b_w250_r0_s.jpg

FILE - Moeed Yusuf, Pakistan's national
security advisor, speaks to reporters
at the Pakistani embassy in Washington
on Aug. 4, 2021, after a week of meetings
with U.S. officials.

Pakistan's national security adviser, Moeed Yusuf, defended the negotiations Thursday while speaking to a virtual event at the Washington-based Middle East Institute. He said the Pakistani government previously had also undertaken such initiatives.

"All states should talk, and if there are ways to bring your own citizens back into the fold of normal legal structures and bounds and constitution, we should," Yusuf said.

But the adviser played down the media hype around the peace talks with TTP.

"I think it has been taken out of proportion. There isn't any mega-negotiation project as such," Yusuf said.

"There has been a change in Afghanistan, and we want to see whether better sense will prevail," the Pakistani adviser continued, adding that he hopes the TTP "will realize that there is a constitution of Pakistan, [that] there is a legal structure within which, if they want to operate, they will actually be better off."

Confidence-building measures

The English-language Dawn newspaper reported Friday that "a tentative understanding" had been reached between the two sides, requiring TTP to declare a countrywide truce in return for the release of an unknown number of their prisoners from Pakistani jails "as part of confidence-building measures."

The monthlong truce would come into effect once the prisoners are released, possibly paving the ground for a "broader peace agreement" to end nearly two decades of militant violence in Pakistan, the paper quoted its sources as saying.

Last month, Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan revealed for the first time in a television interview his government had been engaged in talks with "some groups" within TTP, saying Afghanistan was hosting the process and Taliban rulers there were acting as mediators.

The Pakistani militant alliance responded by denying Khan's assertion that the two sides were in negotiations; neither the Afghan Taliban nor TTP militants have since commented on the negotiations.

Years of violence, failed negotiations

Tens of thousands of Pakistanis, including security forces, have died in terrorist attacks claimed by the Pakistani Taliban since the group emerged in 2007.

Failed talks with the TTP prompted Pakistan to launch counter-militancy offensives against the group's strongholds near the Afghan border in 2014, killing several thousand militants and forcing others to flee across the border into Afghanistan.

While security measures reduced militant violence in Pakistan for several years, the country has witnessed a resurgence of TTP attacks since the start of 2021, which have killed and injured hundreds of security forces.

Islamabad had strained diplomatic ties with the Western-backed former Afghan government that collapsed in the face of the stunning Taliban victories that enabled the Islamist movement to seize control of Kabul in August.

Pakistan consistently accused the previous Afghan rulers of sheltering fugitive TTP leaders and helping them to orchestrate cross-border terrorist attacks against Pakistan. Pakistan's alleged support for the Afghan Taliban is believed to have played a role in helping the insurgent group wage and sustain attacks against the former Kabul government forces, as well as U.S.-led foreign troops in Afghanistan over the past 20 years — charges Islamabad denies.

Sirajuddin Haqqani, the interior minister of the Taliban's interim government in Afghanistan, is said to be acting as a mediator in Pakistan's peace talks with TTP. He heads the notorious Haqqani network of militants designated as a global terrorist by the U.S. He himself is wanted by the U.S. and carries a bounty of $10 million for information leading to his arrest.

The Afghan Taliban interior minister allegedly maintains ties with the Pakistani spy agency and the TTP, which is designated as a global terrorist group by Washington and the United Nations.

Critics say Pakistan's long-running support for the Taliban has prompted Islamabad to seek payback by pressing the acting Kabul government to help in containing TTP-led violence.

More than the Govt its TTP which wants peace since their hide outs in Afghanistan after Taliban takeover may get wipped out. Remember proposal came from Talibans to try for a deal and if TTP continues their terrorism way than both Talibans and PakistanArmy will go after them in their land respectively. As long as they are ready to surrender than Pakistan Govt can strike a deal which likely to be case. Same kind of deal has been proposed for Balochi militants for the last few years. Some of them surrenders some doesn't.

More than the Govt its TTP which wants peace since their hide outs in Afghanistan after Taliban takeover may get wipped out. Remember proposal came from Talibans to try for a deal and if TTP continues their terrorism way than both Talibans and PakistanArmy will go after them in their land respectively. As long as they are ready to surrender than Pakistan Govt can strike a deal which likely to be case. Same kind of deal has been proposed for Balochi militants for the last few years. Some of them surrenders some doesn't.
The Baloch war is different than the TTP war. One is political and the other is religious. I have seen some posters give example of the Irish war, that was political too.
You can negotiate and have peace in a political war. But an ideological war, a religious war where the other party considers you infidels and is ready to give their life for the cause. I doubt any truce or peace can change their hearts. They will strike back when strong. Its a dumb as hell move from our end.

i don’t know, I would really appreciate if you could take time to explain. Thank you so much.

And as I don’t know the dynamics il very unhappy with the temporary understanding .
When the Afghan resistence to Soviet invasion started, a lot of youth went over to Afghanistan to help their tribes and cousins out. A lot of youth from all over the Arab world joined the war. They brought a different ideology along with them as most of them rightly thought of it as a Jehad against foreign oppressors. It suited the Arab states as most of the hardliner youth could be sent down to Afghanistan and their death there would be just the right step for the Arab rulers(reasons for this are entirely to remove any resistence to their corrupt rule). These youth attained a position of authority to some extent as they knew the Quran and spoke Arabic and so a new dimension of the war being a "HOLY WAR" started taking over from a tribal duty to help your brothers in need.
Added to this was the problem of chronic umemployment of youth in Pakistan, general disgruntlement with the lack of effort to tackle their Problems.
TheTaliban needed money for their jehad and I think the Pakistani ISI floated the idea of converting the ample amounts of Opium into Heroin and set up some labs for the purpose. As is true for most difficult times the policy was condoned or at least not discouraged by the religious leadership as the money was vital for the war. So Heroin made its way into the conundrum making some Pakistani political leadership( if you can understand the Zia regime as a political setup!) started getting rich from the proceeds.
So the war was fueled by Islamic ideology but under the guise of necessity Heroin was allowed to be sold as a just means of securing finances to wage the war. The foot soldier did not get much but at the top many people became very rich.
When the US stepped into the War equipment started arriving and because the US to a certain extent gave Pakistan a hand in its distribution that became a bone of contention as Pakistani establishment started distributing equipment to factions it liked and could control.
Fast forward to the nineties and a big hole appeared in the earnings of the tribes as the US withdrew its support. The Russians had left and the Afghan Taliban's attention diverted towards building their country. The Pakistani youth engaged in the Afghan campaign suddenly had nothing to hold on to as their resource pool shrunk, the Heroin trade was still ongoing but the money was not as good as possibly with the US moving out the supply line had been interrupted ( entirely my guess). But most importantly the legitimacy of what they had learnt for 10-15 years was not there. Disgruntlement started but life went on as some money was still trickling through. Come 9/11 and the US ire at the"Axis of Evil", those who were heroes suddenly became villians. Thumbscrews started being tightened and people started becoming angrier.
The queztions being asked were:
A. Why is the Afghan occupation by the US not worth fighting for whereas the Russian one was?
B. Why is our own government siding up with the US and fighting us when they were training us to wage the war in the past.
The state duplicity was considered nothing short of a stab in the back.
There were other cogent reasons. The poppy cultivation in Afghanistan had stopped on Mullah Umar's order so the money had dried up. The US/Pak aggression towards the Taliban and also the local tribes then fuelled the insurgency. This took the shape of attacks on the military , kidnap for ransom and guns for hire.
The state had had enough so with the action in the Tribal belt these elementsxwere either neutralized or sent into Afghanistan. The institution of the fen ing has now created difficulties for these people to find a hiding place and people in Acghanistan cannot return to Pakistan.
H9wever this war has not been one sided and a lot of sacrifices were made by the Pak Army. The army does not want ot revisit this issue again. It feels that the time for truce is now as we are in a poaition of strength. For the army there are a few points to ponder.
A. At the end of the day these people are Pakistanis and they have relatives in the armed forces. So when someone gets killed it gives rise to resentment.
B. Most importantly the ideology of Jehad still reigns strong. Where as the army knows there is no jehad against your fellow muslim but it also knows that killing your fellow muslim has very harsh implications in islam.
C. Provious experience has taught us that even if you kill the leadership new and more rigid leadership emerges which continues to cause problems.
D. With US out of Afghanistan and the Indian setup in/Afghanistan destroyed there is some urgency in settling the issue once and for all. The reasons are clear due to use of these tr8bes as guns for hire by RAWand other nefarious organisations. There has been a clear direction from Afghanistan that its soil will not be used for aggression against any foreign government so it seems Pakistan wants to set its affair straight by offering truce to TLP. They will be bound by the assurances given by the Talibqn not to attack Pakistan.
E. It seems the terms of release for most people in jail is they will be freed in Afghanistan and will not return to Pakistan. Even people that are allowed to return back can be monitored closely as they become known entities so problems from them will be lessened and more controllable.
Once fencing gets completed by next year control at the borders will be possible so all external support to the movements will stop. This will weaken the BLA, and other movements as well as ingress through Iran will not become a problem.
With its back secured PA can sefely concentrate on the Eastern friend and ensure we are not ensnared in a 2 front war.
I think this is what is being thought.
All thoughts are frought with inaccuracies qs no one knows what the future holds. One can only take decisions based on their best possible scenario of how events will shape out.
I th8nk given the scenarios the decision has a lot of merit and sound logic b3hind it. PA has qlways avoided war unless as a last resort.
A

TTP cant be trusted.

Nevertheless, it seems that new government in Kabul is pushing them to disarm. Which is a positive.

Lastly, Afghan Taliban call the shots, if their sincere then TTP will buckle.

Es decision aur decision makers pe hazaar baar laanat. 80k martyrs at the hands of these terrorists including innocent school kids. after defeating them and wiping them out almost completely the govt decides to make peace and release the same terrorist who killed our people. What a shame. Deal with TLP check Deal with TTP check. Deal with BLA check. Only deal left is with India. What a disappointment Khan and Bajwa have proved to be.

Back
Top Bottom