What's new

Remove Farakka barrage', demands Nitish Kumar as flood situation in Bihar turns grim

:rofl:

Own goal as for last 5 years BD is going down list
while India is going up.

@Nilgiri

Thats like saying someone that has been lapped in a race is finally making up some of the time....while the one that has lapped him is tiring out a little bit.

Make up half the lap first and then talk about increase and decrease.

@gslv mk3 ; @Nilgiri

Ok, interesting metric this one.

BD is at 90.7 but it has gone down by 10.2 in the last 5 years.
India is at 79.6 but has gone up by 6.9 in the last 5 years.

With the way that BD is going down the list and India going up, if the trend continues which it may not, then
BD should be lower down the list by 2020.

I do not want to turn this into a your country is more fragile than mine but more interested in the factors at play here.

The fragile States Index measures the below criteria:

1. A state that has little practical control over much of its territory.
2. Non-provision of public services
3. Widespread corruption and criminality;
4. Refugees and involuntary movement of populations
5. Sharp economic decline

I presume that India has been declining due to the insurgencies that it has in some parts of the country, something that BD does not face. The other factors look positive for India here.

BD really needs to focus on it's widespread corruption and then it will be able to make good progress but that seems like it will be a medium-long term project.

What are your thoughts?

I did say going forward from 2030 - please read my posts fully.

Write "After 14 years" instead of "2030"...this way you don't have to keep pushing the date forward till kingdom come, and you can live happily ever after with your wishful thinking.

Write "After 14 years" instead of "2030"...this way you don't have to keep pushing the date forward till kingdom come, and you can live happily ever after with your wishful thinking.

2030 is the date set officially for military modernisation to be completed. No-one
is moving any dates forward. That is when BD will be ready to fully defend it's interests in the region.

It should be a good time to be a BD'shi then with poverty eradicated, good infrastructure
and a strong military - not guaranteed of course but most probably this is what will happen.

That is when BD will be ready to fully defend it's interests in the region.

For one full day...on the higher side...

It should be a good time to be a BD'shi then with poverty eradicated, good infrastructure
and a strong military - not guaranteed of course but most probably this is what will happen.

That's a junk bond coupled with poor marketing....even Bangladeshis don't buy it and jump the border to India.

@Rain Man

Well think and say what you like but BD is progressing very nicely.

7% GDP growth, large scale investments in infrastructure , rapid wage hikes
coupled with low inflation means things are looking bright.

@gslv mk3 ; @Nilgiri

Ok, interesting metric this one.

BD is at 90.7 but it has gone down by 10.2 in the last 5 years.
India is at 79.6 but has gone up by 6.9 in the last 5 years.

With the way that BD is going down the list and India going up, if the trend continues which it may not, then
BD should be lower down the list by 2020.

I do not want to turn this into a your country is more fragile than mine but more interested in the factors at play here.

The fragile States Index measures the below criteria:

1. A state that has little practical control over much of its territory.
2. Non-provision of public services
3. Widespread corruption and criminality;
4. Refugees and involuntary movement of populations
5. Sharp economic decline

I presume that India has been declining due to the insurgencies that it has in some parts of the country, something that BD does not face. The other factors look positive for India here.

BD really needs to focus on it's widespread corruption and then it will be able to make good progress but that seems like it will be a medium-long term project.

What are your thoughts?

That is a big if.

Plus you have added all the changes as though they are from year to year to get the overall up/down trend which is NOT the case....each one is in reference from that year to 2016 score.

Thus the absolute change for Bangladesh over 5 years (i.e the change since 2011) is 3.7 gain and India its loss of 0.3 in the score.

You can check yourself using the 2011 data:

http://fsi.fundforpeace.org/rankings-2011-sortable

Thus the trend will have to continue (and thats a big if seeing how Bangladesh is starting to approach plateauing as easy stability things to fix are running out as seen in many countries in the bracket). Bangladesh will need massive instituional reform to get into the mid 80s like Philippines, forget about surpassing India in the high 70s anytime soon. It gets progressively harder and harder, thats why BD is slowing down its improvement.

There have even been years in BD where it has got worse one year after another:

http://fsi.fundforpeace.org/rankings-2012-sortable

http://fsi.fundforpeace.org/rankings-2013-sortable

So it is not a predictable assured trend.

That is a big if.

Plus you have added all the changes as though they are from year to year to get the overall up/down trend which is NOT the case....each one is in reference from that year to 2016 score.

Thus the absolute change for Bangladesh over 5 years (i.e the change since 2011) is 3.7 gain and India its loss of 0.3 in the score.

You can check yourself using the 2011 data:

http://fsi.fundforpeace.org/rankings-2011-sortable

Thus the trend will have to continue (and thats a big if seeing how Bangladesh is starting to approach plateauing as easy stability things to fix are running out as seen in many countries in the bracket). Bangladesh will need massive instituional reform to get into the mid 80s like Philippines, forget about surpassing India in the high 70s anytime soon. It gets progressively harder and harder, thats why BD is slowing down its improvement.

OK that was my bad and you are correct in that case.

I see BD's biggest issue to tackle as being the widespread corruption.
I disagree that BD cannot keep making further easy gains as it would keep
improving non-provision of public services as government revenue is
quickly rising and so money will be there for that.

Dam stays, we will review a silt management policy.
Remember my word, the dam will break down, today or tomorrow. But, before being overturned by the heavy flow someday it will keep on flooding the very poor Bihar. It is because of silting at the upper stream side. A dam in a plane landscape does not help. So, keep the gates open throughout the year and use its top slab as usual as a motorway.

Remember my word, the dam will break down, today or tomorrow. But, before being overturned by the heavy flow someday it will keep on flooding the very poor Bihar. It is because of silting at the upper stream side. A dam in a plane landscape does not help. So, keep the gates open throughout the year and use its top slab as usual as a motorway.

150 Bihari died in the flood. I can't remember This kind of death toll in Bangladesh during floods. I guess it's important to keep kolkata navigable than 150 lives in Bihar.

Back
Top Bottom