What's new

Remembrance of Muharram , the days of sorrow and grief

raptor22

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Remembrance of Muharram , the days of sorrow and grief

PCdTl.jpg

IN THE house of the Holy Prophet (pbuh&hf), which presented the best image of both the worlds - the heaven and the earth - a child who benefited humanity as if he was Divine Impression reflecting the earth, was born on the 3rd night of the month of Shaban. His father was Imam Ali (a.s.), the best model of kindness towards his friends and the bravest against the enemies of Islam, and his mother was Hazrat Fatimah (s.a.), the only daughter of the Holy Prophet (pbuh&hf) who had as universally acknowledged, inherited the qualities of her father. Imam Hussain (a.s.), is the third Imam. When the good news of his birth reached the Holy Prophet (pbuh&hf), he came to his daughter's house, took the newly-born child in his arms, recited adhan and iqamah in his right and left ears respectively, and on the 7th day of his birth, after performing the rites of aqiqah, named him al-Hussain, in compliance with Allah's (swt) command. Hassan (a.s.) and Hussain (a.s.), the two sons of the Holy Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (a.s.) and Hazrat Fatimah (s.a.),our Lady of Light, were respected and revered as the "Leaders of the Youths of Paradise" as stated by the Holy Prophet (pbuh&hf).

The Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh&hf) had openly prophesied that the faith of Islam would be rescued by his second grandson Hussain (a.s.), when Yazid, son of Muawiayh, would endeavour to destroy it. Yazid was known for his devilish character and brutish conduct. He was known as the most licentious of men. The people having known and understood the character of Yazid, formed a covenant by which Muawiyah could not appoint Yazid as his successor. This undertaking was given by Muawiyah to Imam Hassan (a.s.) from whom Muawiyah had snatched power. Muawiyah violated this undertaking and nominated Yazid who succeeded his father. Immediately as he came to power, Yazid began acting in full accordance with his known character. He started interfering in the fundamentals of the faith and practised every vice and wickedness freely with the highest degree of impunity and yet held himself out as the successor of the Holy Prophet (pbuh&hf), demanding allegiance to himself as the leading guide of the faith. Paying allegiance to Yazid was nothing short of acknowledging the devil as God. If a divine personality like the Holy Imam Hussain (a.s.) had agreed to his authority, it would be actually recommending the devil to humanity in place of God. Yazid demanded allegiance from the Holy Imam Hussain (a.s.), who could have never agreed to it at any cost. The people fearing death and destruction at the hands of the tyrant had yielded to him out of fear. Imam Hussain (a.s.) said that come whatever may, he would never yield to the devil in place of God and undo what his grandfather, the Holy Prophet (pbuh&hf) had established. The refusal of the Holy Imam (a.s.) to pay allegiance to this fiend, marked the start of the persecution of the Holy Imam (a.s.). As a result he had retired to Medina where he led a secluded life. Even here he was not allowed to live in peace, and was forced to seek refuge in Mecca where also he was badly harassed, and Yazid plotted to murder him in the very precincts of the great sanctuary of Kaabah. The people of Kufa getting tired of the tyrannical and satanic rule of Yazid, had written innumerable letters and sent emissaries to Imam Hussain (a.s.) to come over and give them guidance in faith. Although Imam Hussain (a.s.) knew the ultimate end of the invitations, he as the divinely chosen Imam could not refuse to give the guidance sought for. When the Holy Imam (a.s.) with his entourage had reached Karbala, his horse mysteriously stopped and would not move any further. Upon this the Holy Imam (a.s.) declared: "This is the land , the land of sufferings and tortures." He alighted from his horse, and ordered his followers to encamp there saying: "Here shall we be martyred and our children be killed. Here shall our tents be burned and our family arrested. This is the land about which my grandfather the Holy Prophet (pbuh&hf) had foretold, and his prophecy will certainly be fulfilled." On the 7th Muharram water supply to the Imam's camp was cut and the torture of thirst and hunger started. The Holy Imam's (a.s.) camp consisted of ladies, innocent children including babies and some male members of the Holy Prophet's (pbuh&hf) family; along with a small band of some faithful friends of Imam Hussain (a.s.) who had chosen to die with the Holy Imam, fighting against the devil for the cause of Allah (swt).

dI5b.jpg

The Day of Ashura ( 10th of Muharram )

At dawn the Imam (a.s.) glanced over the army of Yazid and saw Umar ibn-e-Sa'ad ordering his forces to march towards him. He gathered his followers and addressed them thus:" Allah has, this day, permitted us for our martyrdom. So prepare yourselves to fight against the enemies of Islam with patience and resistance. O sons of the noble and self - respecting persons, be patient! Death is nothing but a bridge which you must cross after facing trials and tribulations so as to reach Heaven and its joys. Which of you do not like to go from this prison (world) to the lofty palaces (Paradise)?" Having heard the Imam's (a.s.) address, all his companions were overwhelmed and cried out ," O our Master! We are all ready to defend you and your Ahlul-bayt, and to sacrifice our lives for the cause of Islam."

Imam Hussain (a.s.) sent out his companions from his camp one after another to fight and sacrifice their lives in the way of the Lord. Lastly, when all his men and children had laid down their lives, Imam Hussain (a.s.) brought his six- month old baby son Ali Asghar (a.s.), and offering him on his own hands, demanded some water for the baby, dying of thirst. The thirst of the baby was quenched by a deadly poisoned arrow from the brute's forces, which pinned the baby's neck to the arm of the helpless father. At last when the six-month old baby also was killed, Imam Hussain (a.s.) addressed Allah (swt): "O Lord! Your Hussain has offered in your way whatever your had blessed him with. Bless Your Hussain, O Lord! with the acceptance of this sacrifice. Every thing Hussain could do till now was through Your help and by Your Grace." Lastly Imam Hussain (a.s.) came into the field and was martyred, the details of which merciless slaughter are heart rending. The forces of Yazid having killed Imam Hussain (a.s.), cut and severed his head from his body and raised it on a lance. The severed head of the Holy Imam (a.s.) began glorifying Allah (swt) from the point of the lance saying,` Allahu Akbar'. "All glory be to Allah Who is the Greatest!" After the wholesale, merciless and most brutal slaughter of the Holy Imam (a.s.) with his faithful band, the helpless ladies and children along with the ailing son of Imam Hussain (a.s.), Imam Ali Zain-ul-Abideen (a.s.), were taken captives.

There are Two different Narratives of the event if i am right ??

yes depending on which side you are on.

Plz don't troll here ... surly I'm on side of the grandson of prophet (pbuh)

Changing the flag of the shrines of Imam Husain (A.S) in Karbala (Iraq) and Imam Reza (A.S) in Mashhad (Iran) for Muharram 2012

Changing the flag is a tradition every year when the month of Muharram starts they change the Red flag to a Black flag, as a sign of mourning.
Note that the Red flag symbolizes the fact that one day Imam Mahdi (a.f) will avenge the martyrdom of his great grandfather Imam Husain (a.s).

Last edited by a moderator:
Non Muslim Quotes regarding imam hussain (asws)

qeYO.jpg

(charles dickens - famous english writer) 'if hussain had faught to quench his worldly desires, then i dont understand why his sisters, wives and children accompanied him. it stands to reason therefore he sacrifised purely for islam'

Mahatma Gandhi (Indian political and spiritual leader): “I learnt from Hussein how to achieve victory while being oppressed.”

Edward Gibbon (English historian and member of parliament): “In a distant age and climate, the tragic scene of the death of Hosein will awaken the sympathy of the coldest reader.” (The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, London, 1911, volume 5, p. 391-392)

Dr. K. Sheldrake: “Of that gallant band, male and female knew that the enemy forces around were implacable, and were not only ready to fight, but to kill. Denied even water for the children, they remained parched under the burning sun and scorching sands, yet not one faltered for a moment. Husain marched with his little company, not to glory, not to power of wealth, but to a supreme sacrifice, and every member bravely faced the greatest odds without flinching.”

Mahatma Gandhi : 'My faith is that the progress of Islam does not depend on the use of sword by its believers, but the result of the supreme sacrifice of Hussain (A.S.), the great saint.'

Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru : 'Imam Hussain's (A.S.) sacrifice is for all groups and communities, an example of the path of rightousness.'

Rabindranath Tagore : 'In order to keep alive justice and truth, instead of an army or weapons, success can be achieved by sacrificing lives, exactly what Imam Hussain (a.s) did.'

Dr. Rajendra Prasad : 'The sacrifice of Imam Hussain (A.S.) is not limited to one country, or nation, but it is the hereditary state of the brotherhood of all mankind.'

Swami Shankaracharya : 'It is Hussain's (A.S.) sacrifice that has kept Islam alive or else in this world there would be no one left to take Islam's name.'

Antoine Bara (Lebanese writer): “No battle in the modern and past history of mankind has earned more sympathy and admiration as well as provided more lessons than the martyrdom of Husayn in the battle of Karbala.” (Husayn in Christian Ideology)

Dude, there is no side.. It was a terrible thing that happened... Don't try to bring Shia and Sunni into it.. I belong to the latter, however, it was disgusting what happened!

Just have some respect for this month.

lets forget what happen in 7th century for power struggle and concentrate on fixing our own country which is definitely not being helped with this 7th century mentality. Era of khilafah and prophecy is long over - time to move along.

lets forget what happen in 7th century for power struggle and concentrate on fixing our own country which is definitely not being helped with this 7th century mentality. Era of khilafah and prophecy is long over - time to move along.

History repeats itself , the only difference is actors and actress . you mentioned that it was nothing but for power struggle , it indicates that you don't know anything about history ...Imam Hussain (a.s) wasn't an ordinary person who spends his life to get power he was grandson of the prophet(pbuh) a person who prophet described him in this way :

The Messenger of Allah said: "Al-Hasan and al-Husain are the chiefs of the youth of Paradise and Fatimah is the chief of their women."

The Messenger of Allah said: "Husain is from me and I am from Husain." Could you please tell me wht does it mean?

The Prophet (PBUH) looked toward Ali, Hasan, Husain, and Fatimah (AS), and then said: "I am in war with those who will fight you, and in peace with those who are peaceful to you."

The Messenger of Allah said: "He who loves al-Hasan and al-Husain, has loved me, and he who makes them angry has made me angry."

AHh8.jpg

Besides don't forget that he was one of the members of the incident of Mubahala : "Our sons" Hasan and Husayn .

The verse of purification :

"...Verily, Allah has decreed to remove fault from you, O' Ahlul Bayt, and sanctify you in a perfect way." Quran 33:33

and you know Imam Hussian was one of the members of Ahlul Bayt .

The Aims and Objectives of Imam Hussain's Stand

What was the course of Imam Hussain's (A) revolution? What reasons prompted him to initiate such a great and unmatched upspring? Did he intended to overthrow the Yazid regime? Did he wish to end the Umayyid dynasty? These and such other questions keep cropping in the mind and everyone wants to know the satisfactory replies, specially the mourner of Imam Hussain (A) are more eager in this regard.

When Imam Hussain (A) was preparing to leave on his longest journey, he bid adieu to the grave of his grandfather, the Holy Prophet (S.AW). Then he wrote a legacy addressing his brother Mohammed Bin Hanafiyyah in which he explained the aims and objectives of his uprising. We are quoting an extract from the same legacy hereunder. He wrote thus:

"And surely the aim of my stand is not inspired by vain exultation and it is also not for the quest of kingdom, Neither it is to cause dissension and corruption nor it is to wrong anybody unjustly."

These sentences of Imam Hussain (A) are sufficient enough to beat all the criticisms and accusation leveled against him by the enemies of Islam and the enemies of Imam Hussain (A).) Now the question arises if these were not the motives of Imam's uprising than why did he took stand? What were the aims of his uprising? Thus continued Imam Hussain (A)

"The purpose of my stand is the reformation of my grandfather's nation. I intend to enjoin goodness and forbid evil. I want to emulate my grandfather, the Holy Prophet (S)and my father Alt Bin Abu Talib (A). Whosoever accepts me by accepting the truth, then Allah is higher than the truth. And whosoever rejects me then I will bear patiently until Allah adjudges between me and them and He is the best Judge."

In this legacy the chief of martyrs has explained three purposes for his stand:

1. The reformation of his grandfather's nation
  2. Enjoining Good and Forbidding Evil
  3. Renewal and Revival of the tradition of the Holy Prophet (S) and Imam Ali (A)

These purposes are not different than each other rather these are complementary to each other because, nation can be reformed only by means of bidding good and forbidding evil. The tradition and path of the Holy Prophet (S) and Imam Ali (A) is goodness and anything other than that is evil. Some facts are stated by Imam Husain (A) in his other sermons and letters but in other words. When he reached Mecca he wrote a letter to the people of Basra thus;

"I invite you towards the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (S) because indeed Sunnah has been mutilated and hereby is revived. Whoever will accept my words, then I will guide him towards the straight path". (Tarikhe-Tabari vol.7, pg.240)

In another letter to the people of Kufa he wrote thus:

"By God, Imam is the one who acts on the commands of the Book, deals with Justice, followed the truth and reserves his self for the pleasure of Allah."

These words of Imam imply that only he can be an Imam who possesses these characteristics and the one who does not possess them cannot be an Imam. Hence Yazid Bin Muawiyah has had no right to the caliphate. When he reached at 'Baiza', a place near Karbala and was besieged by the contingent of Hur, then he addressed his men and the army of Hur in these words:

"The one who sees a tyrant King who is making unlawful as lawful, violating the pledge (of God), opposing the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (S) ruling on the servant of Allah with sins and oppression. And by his words and actions does not oppose the King and does not strive to reform the circumstances, then it behooves Allah to hurl him into Hell along with the King."

Then he continued about the Yazidi regime thus:

"They have shun the obedience of Allah and acted following Shaitan. They are instigating commotion and dismissing the divine laws. They are expending from the public exchequer for their selfish end and are changing the prohibited things to permissible thing."

In the first sermon at Karbala he spoke thus:

"Can't you see that the truth is not followed and the falsehood is not shunned.? In such circumstances a believer should desire to meet Allah. Surely I regard death as nothing but an honour and life with Oppressors as anything but disgrace." Tarikhe-Tabari, vol.-7pg.300)

Nevertheless the unique and unparalleled revolution of Imam Hussain (A) which began in Rajab 60 AH. and apparently ended with the glorious martyrdom of Imam Hussain (A), his kith, kin and companions was not in vain. The purpose of this revolution was to revive and rejuvenate Islam (which was distorted and Yazidi regime wanted to annihilate it), and also to reform the nation of the Holy Prophet (S). Some of the Sunni Traditionalists have added a phrase of 'and on the path of Khulafa Rashedeen'. It is an addition made in the reign of Umayyid dynasty because the term 'Khulafa-Rashedeen' was coined by the Historians and Scholastic Theologians of that time and this term was not in use at the time of Imam Hussain (A).

Moreover, Imam Hussain (A) was critical about the behavioural pattern of the caliphs, then how he could have desired to follow their paths ?

History repeats itself , the only difference is actors and actress . you mentioned that it was nothing but for power struggle , it indicates that you don't know anything about history ...Imam Hussain (a.s) wasn't an ordinary person who spends his life to get power he was grandson of the prophet(pbuh) a person who prophet described him in this way :

I try to have an objective look on the history without the religious element to it. This second look always helps with better understand of events, in any case history needs to be studied in 3 dimensions. By collecting bits and pieces, you can trace history down to its actual cause. The roots of this conflict are infested in Hashmite vs Ummyad nationalism, nothing to do with religion. The two were major power factions in pre-islamic Arabia vying for the throne of Makkah and situation essentially remained unchanged afterwards. Precisely the reason why Ummayads were swift to shift the capital away from Medina to Damascus to make it as far away as possible from Hashmite power center in Mekkah!

I try to have an objective look on the history without the religious element to it. This second look always helps with better understand of events, in any case history needs to be studied in 3 dimensions. By collecting bits and pieces, you can trace history down to its actual cause. The roots of this conflict are infested in Hashmite vs Ummyad nationalism, nothing to do with religion. The two were major power factions in pre-islamic Arabia vying for the throne of Makkah and situation essentially remained unchanged afterwards. Precisely the reason why Ummayads were swift to shift the capital away from Medina to Damascus to make it as far away as possible from Hashmite power center in Mekkah!

Please ensure that your objectivity refrains from implying insults to the prophets grandson.

Back
Top Bottom