What's new

REMEMBERING MY SENIOR SIR RASHID MINHAS

@Pakistanisage @MastanKhan Pardon me if I sound ignorant just wanted to know that from point of boarding the aircraft by Mati to the point of take off, was there ever any communication between tower and aircraft? Or the tower and aircraft remain silent normally?

We have blamed Mati and Rashid Minhas but nobody said anything about tower, why did not they notice something suspicious all the while when aircraft was being hijacked? Considering East Pakistanis were grounded and Late Rashid Minhas Shaheed was half concious (which seems like to be the case as he kept repeating words "Hijacked" without communicating any other details).

According to Ar Cdr K. Tufail's account, he was in full flying gear: Not encumbered by his flying gear (parachute, anti-G suit, life jacket and helmet), Matiur-Rehman easily stepped on to the wing and slipped into the rear cockpit through the open canopy

No Matiur Rehman was not wearing Flying Gear.

I think you misunderstood what Air Cdr. Tufail said.

Encumbrance
A burden, obstruction, or impediment

What Air Cdr. Tufail is saying is " Because " Mati was " NOT ENCUMBERED BY (not wearing) FLYING GEAR, he could easily slip in the rear cockpit through the open Canopy."

Here is another excerpt, further on down, from his article " Bluebird 166 is hijacked " :

" In the aftermath of the military crackdown that started inEast Pakistanon25 March 1971, the Bengali pilots in the PAF were grounded for fear of an adverse reaction.As the situation became more complex and war clouds started gathering, it was felt prudent to withdraw the flying clothing and equipment of Bengali aircrew, with hijacking of aircraft being precisely one of the fears. "

Last edited:

What Air Cdr. Tufail is saying is since Mati was NOT ENCUMBERED BY (not wearing) FLYING GEAR, he could easily slip in the rear cockpit through the open Canopy.

Encumbrance

Yes, I just realized my comprehension error and was about to delete my post. Thank you for replying.

@Pakistanisage @MastanKhan Pardon me if I sound ignorant just wanted to know that from point of boarding the aircraft by Mati to the point of take off, was there ever any communication between tower and aircraft? Or the tower and aircraft remain silent normally?

We have blamed Mati and Rashid Minhas but nobody said anything about tower, why did not they notice something suspicious all the while when aircraft was being hijacked? Considering East Pakistanis were grounded and Late Rashid Minhas Shaheed was half concious (which seems like to be the case as he kept repeating words "Hijacked" without communicating any other details).
More you ponder into it more question will arise and it is obvious that some are not happy with raising those questions. This line of thought is not confined to this incident alone. I have been actively trying to confirm the story of Pakistan's first Nishan-e-Haider Captain Sarwar and at-least I was failed to confirm the events as we are told from childhood or dramatized in PTV's hugely successful drama. Now if we question, we are labeled and considered less than patriot and not respectful towards the martyrs.

More you ponder into it more question will arise and it is obvious that some are not happy with raising those questions. This line of thought is not confined to this incident alone. I have been actively trying to confirm the story of Pakistan's first Nishan-e-Haider Captain Sarwar and at-least I was failed to confirm the events as we are told from childhood or dramatized in PTV's hugely successful drama. Now if we question, we are labeled and considered less than patriot and not respectful towards the martyrs.

Well nobody is raising any questions on bravery of our soldiers, laying one's life in line of duty is enough to prove his courage and love for his country, even I think joining the battle is enough. No doubts there.

But labeling a questioning mind a traitor just because he does not agree with the history being told by people who were not even remotely part of the incident and real happening is unjustified.

An interesting story about how history gets distorted, Sorry to my Shia friends in advance I don't intend to offend anyone and I respect their feelings but this is funny.

"A molvi sb. in some remote Saraiki area was delivering a sermon (most probably Friday prayer sermon) he was explaining to people about Hazrat Ali's throwing open of Khyber's door, Molvi sb in his local dialect said "Asman tay dho farishtay baithay saan, innay bich hikkki farishtay dojay ko akhya, heee keee shay andi pai aaaa asman all, dojay farishtay nay dikhya tay bolya nuth oey ayy Khyber da boa Mola Ali nay chuk kay sutiya e asman al".

Translation "Two Angels were enjoying each other's company while seated in skies somewhere, all of sudden one of the angels asked the other, look there is something coming towards us, the other observed and said run oey, this is door of Khyber pulled and thrown by Mola Ali towards skies."

@syedali73
Sir it's all about nature and age factor.
RM was young and type of person in which emotions dominate wisdom, at this age physical power is not dependant on mental power..... if you are old man then it will be difficult for you to understand why he took such a big decision...... but for young ones it's not a matter of surprise...... remember Kamikaze pilots? Remember our soldiers who tied bombs with their bodies to stop Indian tank advance? Both world wars particularly are full of such decisions which keep "wise" people wandering why young ones did that??
I am young and I am RM type.....:D not boasting myself but if a person of my mentality was their in the plane, he have done the same.........
Some decisions need emotions, but most need wisdom, when wisdom fail to work, use emotions...... this is what I say ...... and as per chloroform... as far as I know RM was hit on his head by a screw driver too..... is it true?
Chloroform+Screw drive= Unconsciousness

Encumbrance

What Air Cdr. Tufail is saying is " Because " Mati was " NOT ENCUMBERED BY (not wearing) FLYING GEAR, he could easily slip in the rear cockpit through the open Canopy."

Here is another excerpt, further on down, from his article " Bluebird 166 is hijacked " :

" In the aftermath of the military crackdown that started inEast Pakistanon25 March 1971, the Bengali pilots in the PAF were grounded for fear of an adverse reaction.As the situation became more complex and war clouds started gathering, it was felt prudent to withdraw the flying clothing and equipment of Bengali aircrew, with hijacking of aircraft being precisely one of the fears. "
My only question is........why Bangaliz awarded MR their highest military award? On what grounds? During Mushi times Pakistan handed over body of MR to Bangladesh..... why his body was so precious? What was idea behind hijacking a trainer aircraft and flying it to India?...... it's not a war trophy...... it's not the case of plane study...... Soviet Mig21 & Mig25 were also ended up in American hands, when Soviet pilots flew them to Japan...... these aircraft were thoroughly studied by Americans and traitor pilots were awarded luxury lives in Europe...... as far as I know, these both were not cases involved..... so what was actual reason????
@Pakistanisage

Last edited:
@syedali73
RM was young and type of person in which emotions dominate wisdom, at this age physical power is not dependant on mental power..... if you are old man then it will be difficult for you to understand why he took such a big decision...... but for young ones it's not a matter of surprise...... remember Kamikaze pilots? Remember our soldiers who tied bombs with their bodies to stop Indian tank advance? Both world wars particularly are full of such decisions which keep "wise" people wandering why young ones did that??
I am young and I am RM type.....:D not boasting myself but if a person of my mentality was their in the plane, he have done the same.........
Some decisions need emotions, but most need wisdom, when wisdom fail to work, use emotions...... this is what I say ...... and as per chloroform... as far as I know RM was hit on his head by a screw driver too..... is it true?
Arey Bhai, I was not born old, I too was young once, believe me. Joke aside, I agree with what you are saying but Mastan saheb has point, many points actually. There are number of questions that arise as follows:

1. Exactly what was/is the SOP? Can a pilot of taxiing airplane stop his airplane and allow a superior officer to approach the plane?
2. Should he have not informed the ATC as to why he stopped the airplane?
3. While seeing him stopped, why did ATC not ask him as to what he was up to?
4. Did Mati-the-traitor make him to pass out by forcing him to inhale Chloroform? My experience with these substances says no, unless Minhas volunteered to inhale.
5. Did Mati-the-traitor intimidate Minhas using a fake handgun, which was claimed to be recovered from the wreckage? If true, how Minhas gave up to intimidation when he was already prepared to shed the last drop of his blood for his nation?
6. Is this possible that during the take off, the canopy was not latched properly and opened up during the flight that resulted in the crash of airplane?

What we know for sure is:

1. Plane was hijacked.

What we do not know is:

1. Why Minhas stopped his plane and allowed Mati to hopped in?
2. Did Mati take off the plane himself while sitting so awkwardly into the backseat or forced Minhas on a gun point to do so?
3. Plane crashed because Minhas made it to crash or it was a result of struggle to gain control or it happened due to opened up canopy that triggered catastrophic events?

@MastanKhan

Last edited:
1. Why Minhas stopped his plane and allowed Mati to hopped in?
2. Did Mati take off the plane himself while sitting so awkwardly into the backseat or forced Minhas on a gun point to do so?
2. Plane crashed because Minhas made it to crash or it was a result of struggle to gain control or it happened due to opened up canopy that triggered catastrophic events?

1: Mistake due to lack of experience. Issue with newbies is that they consider their seniors as masters and follow their orders which are some times not according to rule.
2: I wonder same
3: Could be both cases. But did RM knew that plane was still in Pakistani territory? What if he thought that he was in Indian territory after he gained consciousness?

1: Mistake due to lack of experience. Issue with newbies is that they consider their seniors as masters and follow their orders which are some times not according to rule.
2: I wonder same
3: Could be both cases. But did RM knew that plane was still in Pakistani territory? What if he thought that he was in Indian territory after he gained consciousness?
Sir military runs on discipline and SOPs not on experience or fear of seniors. You take out discipline and SOP from the military, it will become like any ordinary institution and cease to function.

Pakistan ka Allah hafiz hai cuz of ranting people like us.

I just dont get if fso can stop a plane on taxi track then he wont come driving his car hiding in bushes. If he still held the authority which apparently mati did, then he cud have confidently gone on the track.

Seoncdly,if instructors can stop the jets on the track , and as the blog said,Rm must have expected him to speak thru wireless cuz some issue has arisen, then for this thing to happen an fso already has to be present on taxi track.

As in if immediately some issue aries or some info has to be conveyed then obviously there wont be enough a time for fso to go rushing to the track. It will be done straight thru control tower. In other words if fso or anyone is allowed on tracks then pilot has to be aware of his presence on tracks and also that which fso is on duty on that particular day.

Or maybe these were some issues with flying school and overlooked nuances which they fixed after this very unfortunate incident.

And it wud be near criminal for us to ridicule a martyr and guess what even if he had committed a mistake by stopping on tracks, even then i wud never have said that his death was solution. I wanted him to have survived despite that. Human lives are not jokes.

Pakistan ka Allah hafiz hai cuz of ranting people like us.

I just dont get if fso can stop a plane on taxi track then he wont come driving his car hiding in bushes. If he still held the authority which apparently mati did, then he cud have confidently gone on the track.

Seoncdly,if instructors can stop the jets on the track , and as the blog said,Rm must have expected him to speak thru wireless cuz some issue has arisen, then for this thing to happen an fso already has to be present on taxi track.

As in if immediately some issue aries or some info has to be conveyed then obviously there wont be enough a time for fso to go rushing to the track. It will be done straight thru control tower. In other words if fso or anyone is allowed on tracks then pilot has to be aware of his presence on tracks and also that which fso is on duty on that particular day.

Or maybe these were some issues with flying school and overlooked nuances which they fixed after this very unfortunate incident.

And it wud be near criminal for us to ridicule a martyr and guess what even if he had committed a mistake by stopping on tracks, even then i wud never have said that his death was solution. I wanted him to have survived despite that. Human lives are not jokes.

Hi,

Once the contact is established between the pilot and tower--and tower has given instructions to move---and the plane starts to move and is on the taxiway----the plane is owned by the tower till it takes off.

No single person can approach a taxiing plane on the taxi way----now we are away for the hangar and the crew---and wave it down.

You have to inform the tower ---" tower---I have a situation---I have an officer waving me down to stop---bla bla bla. What is your insturctions ".

@syedali73

My only question is........why Bangaliz awarded MR their highest military award? On what grounds? During Mushi times Pakistan handed over body of MR to Bangladesh..... why his body was so precious? What was idea behind hijacking a trainer aircraft and flying it to India?...... it's not a war trophy...... it's not the case of plane study...... Soviet Mig21 & Mig25 were also ended up in American hands, when Soviet pilots flew them to Japan...... these aircraft were thoroughly studied by Americans and traitor pilots were awarded luxury lives in Europe...... as far as I know, these both were not cases involved..... so what was actual reason????
@Pakistanisage

Sorry @Tipu7, I missed your question. let me try to answer your question candidly.

You have to look at it from their Perspective ( Bangladeshis ), especially from Mujib ur Rehman's Perspective.

In this whole scenario, he desperately needed a HERO, to whip up National Hysteria.

This was one incident where they could declare some kind of effort for the " Liberation" as they called it, even though the attempted hijacking was foiled by our 20 year hero.

@syedali73

@Pakistanisage
Operational Maps, PAF plans about India and other secret documents and locations.

Sorry @Tipu7, I missed your question. let me try to answer your question candidly.

You have to look at it from their Perspective ( Bangladeshis ), especially from Mujib ur Rehman's Perspective.

In this whole scenario, he desperately needed a HERO, to whip up National Hysteria.

This was one incident where they could declare some kind of effort for the " Liberation" as they called it, even though the attempted hijacking was foiled by our 20 year hero.

In his desperation Mujibur Rehman forgot that they were awarding "BS" to a guy who under OATH, kidnapped a pilot, and hijacked an aircraft. A very dishonorable thing to do!

And then you have Pakistanis, who even after taking off their uniform, remember that they once took an oath as God as their witness.

The glaring difference, says a lot about integrity, doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom