What's new

Relocation of GHQ

It makes sense to have it in the capitals, however not in congested areas.
Capitals are usually congested.Maybe the outskirts of the city.
But if Islamabad is like Ottawa then it's ok I guess.

GHQ in Isb's proposed area will only make life miserable for more people, specially when there are no plans to vacate the existing premises. The naval complex in E-8 and PAF complex in E-9 have already taken the most prime premises of Islamabad and with addition of GHQ, life of those citizens who live by in near areas will become restricted. These beautiful areas should be kept for residential sectors. All three headquarters can be moved on the outskirts of the city. The whole area from E-12 to F-6 will become a garrison town.

These are just my personal opinions so no offence meant.

Last edited:
Strategically the Army Head Quarters should not be in Islamabad

Islamabad is like what few hour away from Kashmire, tactically
speaking the GHQ should be in central area of Pakistan so that its away from the "Enemy borders"

If the army is breached then the GHQ command would be lost , so it should not be in Islamabad -

I am in favour of moving the GHQ some where central in Pakistan -

All three headquarters should be in capital and close to each other. This shall improve communication and decision making process. This perhaps was the idea behind current locations of the three head quarters.

With the global settelite systems you don't need to be close to battle field, the most important thing is you are safe in central pakistan , so even if a air attack comes, your way you have 30-40 min windows to command your defences....

Staying in Islamabad is sorta not smart, as its too closed to occupied Kashmir regions.

Sure the Armmy could have barracks but the main HQ should be located in a safe zone - 10-20 km security zone , like area 51 provides.

GHQ in Isb's proposed area will only make life miserable for more people, specially when there are no plans to vacate the existing premises. The naval complex in E-8 and PAF complex in E-9 have already taken the most prime premises of Islamabad and with addition of GHQ, life of those citizens who live by in near areas will become restricted. These beautiful areas should be kept for residential sectors. All three headquarters can be moved on the outskirts of the city. The whole area from E-12 to F-6 will become a garrison town.

These are just my personal opinions so no offence meant.
but i think as Army is doing for Pakistan, so they really deserve it! sectors E as a whole can be given to Army. This will be useful as the Margalla Hills will then be protected and the capital will be free of danger of terrorism!

With the global settelite systems you don't need to be close to battle field, the most important thing is you are safe in central pakistan , so even if a air attack comes, your way you have 30-40 min windows to command your defences....

Staying in Islamabad is sorta not smart, as its too closed to occupied Kashmir regions.

Sure the Armmy could have barracks but the main HQ should be located in a safe zone - 10-20 km security zone , like area 51 provides.

The global satellite system is not ours nor can we trust on it in the case of a war. Plus the GHQ, AHQ & NHQ are all the peace time HQs, nor will the whole GHQ shift to E-10. AHQ is in Islamabad but many of the deptts are still working at the old location, same case with NHQ. in case of a war they would be nearly empty, we have a separate war time HQ (place & location unknown) from where the top hierarchy can control it & be safe.

So if GHQ is shifted, it will not be 100% to Isb nor is E-10 large enough to accommodate the whole of GHQ.

Last edited:
The global satellite system is not ours nor can we trust on it in the case of a war. Plus the GHQ, AHQ & NHQ are all the peace time HQs, nor will the while GHQ shift to E-10. AHQ is in Islamabad but many of the deptts are still working at the old location, same case with NHQ. in case of a war they would be nearly empty, we have a separate war time HQ (place & location unknown) from where the top hierarchy can control it & be safe.

So if GHQ is shifted, it will not be 100% to Isb nor is E-10 large enough to accommodate the whole of GHQ.
Yeah brother! Pak Army goes under ground at the time of war as i have been told of earlier times of wars.

All three headquarters should be in capital and close to each other. This shall improve communication and decision making process. This perhaps was the idea behind current locations of the three head quarters.

A single squad of enemy jets can do it than. Starting from Secretariat and upto E-10 in a row........ easy pray and target.

Targets should be scattered so that can remain secure and difficult for enemy hostility during war.

Communication in present days isnt an issue.

KIT Out

A single squad of enemy jets can do it than. Starting from Secretariat and upto E-10 in a row........ easy pray and target.

Targets should be scattered so that can remain secure and difficult for enemy hostility during war.

KIT Out

Sir, plz read the post 2nd one above yours this post, as i said, the E-8,E-9 & E-10 are the peace time HQs not war time. During war the top commanders & top political hierarchy transfers to the war time HQ, which most probably is underground & hidden somewhere safe & well defended & not easy to be spotted.

KIT Out

Islamabad is pretty well defended by air defense system backed up by surface to air missiles.

The structures above ground may be easy targets but what is underground is an entirely different story.

Communication still is an issue. With longer the distance the easier to hack the system. The more hi tech you go more the chances of hacking and jamming.

i personally think military HQs must be out of city boundaries, therefore GHQ should also be, the best location i found is Ratwal as it is geographical safe with mountain facing. near to the motorway, new purposed Islamabad airport and some defence research organisations.

Sir, plz read the post 2nd one above yours this post, as i said, the E-8,E-9 & E-10 are the peace time HQs not war time. During war the top commanders & top political hierarchy transfers to the war time HQ, which most probably is underground & hidden somewhere safe & well defended & not easy to be spotted.

Khan G, I have read it before your recommendation but whether active or passive, GHQ will always remain a target of Enemy AF. My point is that GHQ being in such an area where population is high can be a threat to the population there. For not only GHQ get "banged" but also areas lying around it.

In wars, GHQ gets deactive and HQs of Brigade level get active with supreme command commonly known as CCC is established. Indeed they are hard to tackle and spot.

As far as the Air Defences of Islamabad are concerned, we have an op. Air Base in Chaklala. Also some G-2-A missile systems are installed but what if they didn't prove much effective, just a thought. An airforce strong enough and 4X bigger than us if wishes to bomb our cities than we have to be more carefull. I say again targets should be scattered. Let say if Naval HQ, Air HQ and GHQ all will be at the same place than enemy will try their hell best to destroy them.

With targets so close we can also endanger the civilian assets of our country. Two top ranking universities Air Univesity and Bahria university can be such assets. I think even NHQ and AHQ must also be not close to each other.

I Welcome you corrections.

KIT Out:pakistan:

Islamabad is pretty well defended by air defense system backed up by surface to air missiles.

The structures above ground may be easy targets but what is underground is an entirely different story.

Communication still is an issue. With longer the distance the easier to hack the system. The more hi tech you go more the chances of hacking and jamming.

Well maybe it is so that we are depending on underground bunkers and compounds. But how deep we can go? Bombs can penterate deeper now, mostly laser guided. Still progeress is upto it.

And maybe when the war is fought such bombs would have been developed that can penetrate upto 250 m. Just a guess.

KIT Out

I think the GHQ...needs to build near the foot of Margalla Hills and should be deep enough to survive a nuclear strike....

Kind a like the Pentagon but part of it embedded in the Mountain and going deep underground and have secured checkpoints which can thwart any taliban animal trying to attack them

Back
Top Bottom