What's new

Reading the true life of the bottom in China

kyle Chiang

Reaction score
Country
China
China's impressions for members here are mostly simple and monotonous.I want to post some pictures about the true life of the bottom people in China.To help you(my friends) to know more the happy or pain of common Chinese in this changeable time.

<Alive> is a series of photos aiming at sharing the light and shadow of Chinese society.

<Industrial village>
2.jpg

House,dog and the reform and open policy propaganda picture.
Mao Village sites in Big Bridge town,Shandong province which land is so infertility.There were about ten people starved to death in 1943.In 1986,the villagers,Gong Wanrong and Sun Chuangzhu,worked at a wood factory in shanghai and learned some skills.They came back home and established a workshop.With their smart ideals and hard working,they get rich soon and lead the whole village become a richest wood industrial park in their town.

3.jpg

Workshop of man-made stone plank
Before the end of 2013,more than 80 workshops spring out in this small village.Workers are usually working in dust with only one anti-dust mask and one pairs of glove.
13.jpg
Two guest young workers playing computer game in a rough Internet bar
Many young guys who can't or don't want to go university chose out-migration to work.Some of them are even less than 16 years old.

4.jpg

Freight
Almost at every dusk,Huang has to riding his tricycle passing through the Yellow River Bridge to freight his production to city.His product are active demand.

7.jpg

A villager working on land,driving his car
With the development of improved varieties,pesticides,fertilizer,irrigation wells and agricultural machinery,every farmer in Mao village has to work less than 10 days in land every year.But there are still much land fall into disuse because young generation refuse farming.
Tip:The land is evenly distributed among every villager(including children). It's the Communist policy

10.jpg

Marriage car fleet
The brand and amount of the car symbolize the wealth of bridegroom.
In China,bridegroom usually has to provide a house,a car and a expensive betrothal gifts.(It means "Yes,I am rich enough to give a good life to your daughter").
Bride's family usually will return the betrothal gifts after wedding and buy a series of households for newlyweds.

11.jpg
Western-style clothes, white wedding dress and Chinese custom.
Gong means to dispel ominous ghosts.Haulm means good harvest and wealth.

16.jpg

Air pollution mixed with morning fog.
A man are beating a dong to call people to join a village meeting.

20.jpg

Candidates look serious in village mayor election

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
well, how about the illegal land grab at expense of bottom people?

Why is OP translating the name of the village into Big Bridge Town? Why not translate Beijing into North Capital as well?

Gosh, some people are so provincial. :raise:

Yes, north China village is pretty much like this one.

By the way, I don't think these people are truly at the bottom, at least they have the land. They can do some business related to agriculture, like raising animals. The real bottom people are those who live in cities, with no land no property, living with only a fixed amount of salaries. Some villagers are against the policy to turn their identity from agriculture to citizens because of the land, when they lose the land, they lose everything.

Last edited:
well, how about the illegal land grab at expense of bottom people?
If I have time,I will post some pic about that.
Why is OP translating the name of the village into Big Bridge Town? Why not translate Beijing into North Capital as well?

Gosh, some people are so provincial. :raise:
My English is not good enough.When you have some good translation ideal.plz tell me.
Don't just complain bala bala.

Yes, north China village is pretty much like this one.

By the way, I don't think these people are truly at the bottom, at least they have the land. They can do some business related to agriculture, like raising animals. The real bottom people are those who live in cities, with no land no property, living with only a fixed amount of salaries. Some villagers are against the policy to turn their identity from agriculture to citizens because of the land, when they lose the land, they lose everything.
You are right.
But the aim I do this is to express a true face of China and reflect the huge change in these years.

Tip:The land is average for every villager(including children) .It's the Communist policy.
I think "Tip: The land is evenly distributed/divided/allocated among every villager(including children). It's the Communist policy." would better express what you meant?

I think "Tip: The land is evenly distributed/divided/allocated among every villager(including children). It's the Communist policy." would better express what you meant?
Thank you so much.I have corrected it.

<Childhood of Sanitation Workers' Second Generation>
1.jpg

There are 12 families with 2 old men and 23 children in a "sanitation workers' club",which sites near the old river bank. Children born and live here.They learn to do housework and be independent at very early age.

2.jpg

When parents sorting waste paper,Xu Chenze,a 3 years old boy,are reading the Wild Gambler in a dumped children newspaper.With the minimum wage,sanitation workers have to collect scrap to earn more money.

4.jpg

Playing table tennis

5.jpg
6.jpg

Spring festival.

7.jpg

Xi Xiang's father bought a second-hand computer. He was allowed playing the computer freely in the valuable holiday.

8.jpg

Facing a difficult math problem,Li is comforting his crying son.
Li Jingyue take hopes on her child.She says "I must help my child to go to college. He should become a real citizen in the future"

9.jpg

Rest time after the whole day hard work.They are talking about the news that the gov will dismantle this shanty town and they have to move.

10.jpg

Chen Chun is a very reasonable and very clever good girl.

11.jpg

In the afternoon on Sep 6th,2014 after removed to new house for about one month,Chen Chun died because of an accidental drowning.
A beautiful life,disappeared forever.

Last edited:
He he he, despite being out in the sun all day, some Chinese don't get dark skinned at all. They just get "sun burn" , cheeks turn red ! he he! Very similar to Japanese !

^_^, Σ(‘◉⌓◉’)

He he he, despite being out in the sun all day, some Chinese don't get dark skinned at all. They just get "sun burn" , cheeks turn red ! he he! Very similar to Japanese !

^_^, Σ(‘◉⌓◉’)
Yes,because we are both yellow race.
In view of whole world,we live in same place.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom