What's new

RD-93 Engine: Strength or Weakness?

Aerosud-Marvol SMR-95 (International), Aero-engines - Turbofan

Overview
A Russian-derived fighter engine for upgrading French-built fightersIn the early 1980s Klimov design engineers drew new versions of the RD-33 fighter engine, then in full production, tailored to the propulsion of single-engined aircraft, notably updated versions of the MiG-21. In 1990 these studies went ahead into full design, known as the RD-33N, and were broadened to incorporate installational changes to enable this engine to serve as a common baseline power plant able to power not only later versions of the MiG-21but also the Mirage III, 5 and F1. Features include a completely new accessory gearbox on the engine's underside (in the previous versions of the RD-33 it had been on top, dictated by the design of the MiG-29), as well as a gas-turbine starter, oxygen injection for automatic relight under all flight conditions, twin 40-kVA alternators to give increased electrical power, high-capacity fuel and hydraulic pumps, and an advanced semi-computerised hydro-mechanical fuel control giving 'carefree' handling.

Overview
SMR-95A This, the first version of the SMR-95, was configured to fit the Mirage F1.AZ. The accessory-drive gearbox is the AADG-52. No change in aircraft centre of gravity or thrust line was necessary, and only a slight shortening of the fuselage was needed to match the new and more efficient multi-flap nozzle. Flight testing began in mid-1994. The extra thrust transforms flight performance, while the combat radius is significantly extended by the greatly reduced fuel consumption, reduced engine weight (about 200 kg, 440 lb) and increase in permissible take-off weight of about 1,000 kg (2,205 lb). Further advantages include better stability during gunfire, and faster engine acceleration, the time from flight idle to maximum rpm being only 3.5 seconds, with another 2.0 seconds being needed to bring in full afterburner.Some 70 test flights were made with the re-engined F1.AZ, Overall, radius of action was increased by 25 per cent, and combat effectiveness increased by factors from 1.2 to 3.0. However, the final decision was to retire the 30 F1.AZ aircraft and put them up for disposal (the replacement being the Gripen). Despite this decision, Marvotech ) conducted a phased flight-test programme in support of an upgraded Mirage F1 initiative. This involved not only the new engine but also a "glass cockpit" and new avionics.,

SMR-95

BASIC INFORMATION

The SMR-95 is a modified RD-33 twin-shaft turbojet engine with afterburner for MiG-29 that was developed in mid-90s to upgrade foreign-made 2nd and 3rd generation jet fighters.

PRODUCT QUALITY

In contrast to the parent model, the SMR-95’s accessory gearbox is located below the engine; it also has a greater length determined by the dimensions of the aircraft body. The engine passed bench tests and flight tests on the Super Mirage F-1 and Super Cheetah D-2 aircraft of the South African Air Force. The flight performance and combat efficiency of these fighter equipped with the new engine improved by a factor ranging from 1.2 to 3.0.

Owing to the SMR-95 excellent gas flow stability against ambient disturbances, including the use of onboard weapons, there are no restrictions on aircraft control. These engines also have a high rate of thrust increase and, consequently, flight acceleration, which is especially critical for front-line fighters.

Field servicing (“large unit assembly and disassembly”) and replacement of individual parts, units and modules are possible due to the engine’s modular construction.

FACTS

The first Russian project involving the development of an engine for foreign fighters
Successfully passed flight tests on the Super Mirage F-1 and Super Cheetah D-2 aircraft
Power class: 8000 – 9000 kgf

Principal specifications of SMR-95:

Full afterburning performance (H=0, М=0): thrust, kgf 8300

Maximum performance without afterburning (H=0, М=0): thrust, kgf 8300

Length, mm 5440

Maximum diameter, mm 1040

Weight at delivery, kg 1295

well so do they come as an improved opion for our JF17s.
It comes as improved as it can. How ever, it may not be RD-33MK.
Full reheat power setting (H = 0, V = 0, ISA), kgf 8,300
Maximum nonreheat power setting (H = 0, V = 0, ISA), kgf 5,040
Specific fuel consumpton, kg/kgf.h 0.77
Bypass ratio 0.46
Maximum turbine inlet temperature, °K 1,680

Remember: WS-13 is an equivalent.

the russians offered an improved engine with TV to china, however i cannot remember whether it was for FC20 or the JF17!!
FC20 which will come to Pakistan will have chinese WS-10.

^^^ Here good website contains lots of pictures and information. Unfortunately not an English one so try with your own risk :devil:
RD-33 (MZAK Pictures)
(Tip: a mix of czech and slovak :lol:)

RD-93 specs from PAC poster , IDEAS 2008, is 19000+ Full AB Thrust. Dry/Mil not given.

Thanks for reminding me ... ... I have a photo pf the poster saved on my pc. 11,100 lbs = 49.38kN dry thrust. 19,200 lbs = 85.41kN wet thrust. Here it is:

d03956c505d418dc0d7e9eca3889d407.jpg

Thanks for reminding me ... ... I have a photo pf the poster saved on my pc. 11,100 lbs = 49.38kN dry thrust. 19,200 lbs = 85.41kN wet thrust. Here it is:

d03956c505d418dc0d7e9eca3889d407.jpg

Well, we have probably neglected an important fact about JF-17.
The 6th model of JF-17 which is looks like Sweden Air force JAS-39!About the true operational performance of JF-17 and compare with the semblance of it , I think that many people have been deceived .The performance of jf-17 is between the F-16CD and SU-30MK.
The JF-17 fighter aircraft designer he said that China's aviation strength was still in the second echelon of the world.:cheers:

we still need to improve on that engine if we really want to take the JF to new heights, it is necessary to support powerfull and heavier radars and more weapons, atleast two extra harpoints!
my see something in this department in blk III!!

regards

jf-17's avionics and engines need to be upgraded to improve the performance.

it should have some more air superiority functions like 2d TV to improve aerial maneuvering and more fuel capacity for longer range to protect current bomber fleet.

Not sure if this is true or official but next round upgrade is ~5000-6000 KG max external load (increase from 3600-3800 KG ) and engine max to 91.1 kN (224.5X91.1=20452 lbs).

But Like F16 only JF17 (Mirage, A5, F7 does not) is capable of MK84 class weapon, ~980 KG or 2000 lbs , though single load for now.

Attachments

• FC-1 Status 3 modified.jpg
    FC-1 Status 3 modified.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 64
  • JF-17#-(78).jpg.jpg
    JF-17#-(78).jpg.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
jf-17's avionics and engines need to be upgraded to improve the performance.

it should have some more air superiority functions like 2d TV to improve aerial maneuvering and more fuel capacity for longer range to protect current bomber fleet.

which bomber fleet are you exactly pointing to??:lol:
:rofl:

regards!

Perhaps he meant bi directional thrust vectoring!! just a wild guess ;)

Back
Top Bottom