What's new

Razzaq likely to face disciplinary action

ameer219

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: All-rounder Abdul Razzaq is likely to face disciplinary action from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) due to his outburst against captain Mohammad Hafeez after being dropped from the World Twenty20 semi-final against Sri Lanka.

Razzaq created controversy by blaming the captain for his exclusion from the match, which Pakistan lost by 16 runs, describing the decision as ‘illogical and taken only by Hafeez’.

The board will discuss the scenario today and action against the all-rounder was likely even though he is not a centrally-contracted player, according to a PCB official.

“Razzaq was bound by PCB rules,” the official told The Express Tribune. “Even if a player is not contracted he has to follow instructions. His statement may invite sanctions. The feedback from coach and manager will also be taken.”

Team management backs Hafeez

Meanwhile, a team official, who was part of the selection process, defined Razzaq’s remarks as unnecessary.

“It’s very unfortunate,” said the official. “There were no hidden intentions behind his snub. Razzaq’s replacement Sohail Tanvir justified his selection with a good bowling performance. It was just another bad day for our batting otherwise all went well before.”

The manager downplayed Razzaq’s claims that Hafeez took an independent decision.

“It’s impossible for a single member of the tour selection committee to make a decision. Coach Dav Whatmore, PCB selector Salim Jaffer and manager Naveed Akram were also part of the selection panel.”

However, the official added that the captain’s choice was preferred to boost his confidence. He said that the manager will submit the report in a couple of days, adding that decisions will be made in light of the findings.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 8th, 2012.

Cricket: Razzaq likely to face disciplinary action – The Express Tribune

This is the guy who I should say, won us the match against the Australia during the recent series. Not forgetting his past actions, as well drawing the match with Sri Lanka.

Very big injustice is happening with Razzaq. He is a world class player. Probably because he doesn't want to tow the line and fix matches.

Good decision, he was not meant to appear before the media and create another controversy for Pakistan. He could have complained the PCB and went through the guided process to express dissatisfaction or lodge complain about it

Good decision, he was not meant to appear before the media and create another controversy for Pakistan. He could have complained the PCB and went through the guided process to express dissatisfaction or lodge complain about it

PCB toh anndhi hui wi hai. Hafeez ka bara pawwa hai koi, even Misbah ko khuday line lagaya hua hai.

Captain should be a himmat wala dude, not just a smart dude. Hafeez has shown his smarts, but the two matches we lost, we lost when Hafeez came off too scared to do anything.

Hafeez got a few sixes towards the end, otherwise he had wasted a lot of balls in the beginning to put us in the pressure.

I think Razzaq did the right thing. To merely speak out is not wrong and lets face it whatever he said was not wrong, we all felt it. Razzaq ko bahar rakhne ki koi waja nahi thi, except personal differences. To say he should not have spoken out, is the same as kisi ka maarna then complaining ke "ouch" kyun kia.

Zakii bhai aap itnay zalim shaks ho?

Kisi keh saat na-insafi hoy toh woh shikwa bhi ney kar sakay?

PCB toh anndhi hui wi hai. Hafeez ka bara pawwa hai koi, even Misbah ko khuday line lagaya hua hai.

Captain should be a himmat wala dude, not just a smart dude. Hafeez has shown his smarts, but the two matches we lost, we lost when Hafeez came off too scared to do anything.

Hafeez got a few sixes towards the end, otherwise he had wasted a lot of balls in the beginning to put us in the pressure.

I think Razzaq did the right thing. To merely speak out is not wrong and lets face it whatever he said was not wrong, we all felt it. Razzaq ko bahar rakhne ki koi waja nahi thi, except personal differences. To say he should not have spoken out, is the same as kisi ka maarna then complaining ke "ouch" kyun kia.
When i read the line up for the semi final I immediately knew we are going to lose the match since Razzaq is not playing. I have no idea why they were persistent in playing Tanvir instead. Although Tanvir did bowl well in the semi final and looking at the condition Razzaq may or may not have made any impact. He has been one of my favourite player since his entire career and I would have preferred to see him in final XI any day. Now that is a different story that Razzaq is no longer as potent as he used to be and his cricketing career is coming to an end soon.

Having said that, Razzaq is under the contract and no board would allow her players to speak before the media and backbite each other. Kevin Pieterson's recent scandal was not very different and he too had to lose his place in the squad and was not able to play the T-20 World series. I am not judging the nature of accusations Pieterson had raised or Razzaq has done recently but the bottom line is, he is under the contract and cannot speak in the public. He is violating his contract and PCB is allowed to take disciplinary action against him.

The idea of players powers is nothing new to PCB/Pakistan and the last management had to work hard to curtail the players power. Muhammad Yousuf and Younis Khan were banned for life for the similar behaviour and later forgiven and Malik was banned for 12 months when Yousuf and Malik were appearing in the media and started accusing each other.

There is a described method to protest and coming to TV especially when you are under the contract and violating the terms of the contract is childish IMO.

When i read the line up for the semi final I immediately knew we are going to lose the match since Razzaq is not playing. I have no idea why they were persistent in playing Tanvir instead. Although Tanvir did bowl well in the semi final and looking at the condition Razzaq may or may not have made any impact. He has been one of my favourite player since his entire career and I would have preferred to see him in final XI any day. Now that is a different story that Razzaq is no longer as potent as he used to be and his cricketing career is coming to an end soon.

Having said that, Razzaq is under contract and no board would allow her players to speak before the media and backbite each other. Kevin Pieterson's recent scandal was not very different and he too had to lose his place in the squad and was not able to play the T-20 World series. I am not judging the nature of accusations Pieterson had raised or Razzaq has done recently but the bottom line is, he is under the contract and cannot speak in the public. He is violating his contract and PCB is allowed to take disciplinary action against it.

The idea of player powers is nothing new to PCB and the last management had to work hard to curtail the players power. Muhammad Yousuf and Younis Khan were banned for life for the similar behaviour and later forgiven and Malik was banned for 12 months when Yousuf and Malik were appearing in the media and started accusing each other.

There is a described method to protest and coming to TV especially when you are under the contract and violating the terms of the contract is childish IMO.

Razzaq is 100x better than Afridi saab.

And what if the entire system is corrupt?

This is not new for anything in Pakistan.

So where should he then go to complain?

Abdul Razzaq has breaked the law of PCB & is guilty for bringing out internal issue to media, its is justicable if he is fined & punished.

But still its good to see Abdul Razzaq who is one of the best allrounder Pakistan has to come out & speak about the injustice being going on. Abdul Razzaq is a high quality cricketer, his inclusion in team always gives useful performances to the team. He is been a part of T20 world cup winning & is expert in bowling with good economy & batting under pressure in big matches.

The real reasons for his snub should be investigated before carrying disciplinatory action against him.

Razzaq is 100x better than Afridi saab.

And what if the entire system is corrupt?

This is not new for anything in Pakistan.

So where should he then go to complain?

Well I was actually in favour of playing Razzaq by replacing Shoaib Malik... not Tanvir as we needed a fast bowler on that particular day. Razzaq heavily criticised Tanvir's selection which is unfair as that dude gave away only 11 runs in 3 overs for his bowling performance. Razzaq's batting is dangerous but his bowling standard has dropped so much that even India or Zimbabwe are producing better fast bowlers these days. He used to be dangerous but no more, age factor I reckon?

Hypothetically speaking if Razzaq had made those 16 runs that cost us the match then he surely would have given 25-30 runs in his 3 overs unlike Tanvir who bowled reasonably well in that particular match. I personally don't like Tanvir but for that game he was a better choice. Razzaq should have replaced Imran Nazir or Shoaib Malik.

It is as if Pakistan had won the match, nobody would be raising eyebrows on Hafeez's decision. He is still new, like Asim said he is still immature and not as brave as Afridi or Misbah would have been but from his little captaincy experience he has shown that he understands the game pretty well and the team selection cannot be right forever. You are bound to make mistakes but there is prescribed method to lodge your complaints. The first thing Razzaq should have done is to speak to the team management followed by the board and the chairman. For most of the times this was more than necessary...

Well I was actually in favour of playing Razzaq by replacing Shoaib Malik... not Tanvir as we needed a fast bowler on that particular day. Razzaq heavily criticised Tanvir's selection which is unfair as that dude gave away only 11 runs in 3 overs for his bowling performance. Razzaq's batting is dangerous but his bowling standard has dropped so much that even India or Zimbabwe are producing better fast bowlers these days. He used to be dangerous but no more, age factor I reckon?

Hypothetically speaking if Razzaq had made those 16 runs that cost us the match then he surely would have given 25-30 runs in his 3 overs unlike Tanvir who bowled reasonably well in that particular match. I personally don't like Tanvir but for that game he was a better choice. Razzaq should have replaced Imran Nazir or Shoaib Malik.

It is as if Pakistan had won the match, nobody would be raising eyebrows on Hafeez's decision. He is still new, like Asim said he is still immature and not as brave as Afridi or Misbah would have been but from his little captaincy experience he has shown that he understands the game pretty well and the team selection cannot be right forever. You are bound to make mistakes but there is prescribed method to lodge your complaints. The first thing Razzaq should have done is to speak to the team management followed by the board and the chairman. For most of the times this was more than necessary...

Zakii bhai, don't you think it would be foolish to assume that he didn't lodge a protest with the team management before taking this step?

Zakii bhai, don't you think it would be foolish to assume that he didn't lodge a protest with the team management before taking this step?

No because every team has differences and their central contracts forbids them to speak before the public/media. It is breach of the code of conduct and no sane player would accuse his captain like that.

Muhammad Yousuf did when Shoaib Malik was the captain, the moral of the story was Malik banned for 12 months and Yousuf is history since then.

No because every team has differences and their central contracts forbids them to speak before the public/media. It is breach of the code of conduct and no sane player would accuse his captain like that.

Muhammad Yousuf did when Shoaib Malik was the captain, the moral of the story was Malik banned for 12 months and Yousuf is history since then.

Okay, but what other teams are going through this kind of drama?

Obviously there is something that stinks in this whole matter.

Okay, but what other teams are going through this kind of drama?

Obviously there is something that stinks in this whole matter.

every team faces similar problems. But it is the job of former players to criticise the decision of captain (so the former players could earn bread n butter by commentary/analyst/cricket expert etc). The players are more like an army where they have to abide by the orders of the captain. They cannot openly criticise them in public.

India also made lots of blunders in the T-20 World cup/series and Dhoni being years old captain and having won big tournaments for India was criticised by many cricketing experts but that was the job of former players and not the current players themselves who were under contract. No player gave such statements in the media and trust me there would have been differences in the Indian team too.

Kevin Pieterson criticised the captain in the last series held in England against South Africa, the sms's were exposed and since then he is in exile. His central contract was terminated and he is suspended since then (now he recently signed 4 months contract). You just cannot come to the media and start complaining about your colleagues/players. This is unethical and breach of the code of conduct.

Shahid Afridi gave some statements in the media and he was fined 4 million rupees last year... Shoaib Akhtar gave such statements in the media and he was also fined by the board. He came up with the excuse that he is playing in the team but has not signed the central contract with the PCB so he is not bound by the PCB's code of conduct and sued PCB in the court that led to another scandal.

Razzaq could have given simple diplomatic statement but he was probably too straight forward when this question was against to him, I do not know if he intentionally accused the captain or he was just too straight forward and he meant something else

oops I just read that Abdul Razzaq's name is not in the list of Central Contracted players

Pakistan | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

No idea if that restriction would apply to him in that case

But you must also understand that Razzaq didn't play a test match since 2006 and ODI since 2011. He is just playing T-20 and that too not every game. So you can imagine he is no longer considered as a backbone of the team alongside Afridi

Abdul Razzaq | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Back
Top Bottom