What's new

RAS receive order from Pakistan Navy (Aircraft ATR 72 conversion to maritime patrol/ASW)

It may, since it is most probably already be carrying the required equipment for that job.
Hi,

Please excuse me for my limited understanding in thois particular domain

Thank you for your reply. But then don't you think it will be much more affordable for us to have ASW craft, which can also carry out reconnaissance and then targeting of enemy ships or subs ?

Pakistan is reaching out to the European states for its defense needs. First Italy and now Germany, a very positive development indeed.

Hi,

Please excuse me for my limited understanding in thois particular domain

Thank you for your reply. But then don't you think it will be much more affordable for us to have ASW craft, which can also carry out reconnaissance and then targeting of enemy ships or subs ?
The reason for operating planes for this role is cost related. Procurement cost related mainly. You do not need to equip all your aircraft on patrol duties with expensive weapon systems and fire control radars etc. The patrol duties can be performed by planes with very basic equipment. ASW will be a dedicated platform.

The reason for operating planes for this role is cost related. Procurement cost related mainly. You do not need to equip all your aircraft on patrol duties with expensive weapon systems and fire control radars etc. The patrol duties can be performed by planes with very basic equipment. ASW will be a dedicated platform.
Point noted. But, what I meant was say for instance p3c orion is sent for reconnaissance mission, without being outfitted with weapons, but then again it will use up engine life of plane and it will require more servicing. Yeah i get your point what you mean now. Thanks

Point noted. But, what I meant was say for instance p3c orion is sent for reconnaissance mission, without being outfitted with weapons, but then again it will use up engine life of plane and it will require more servicing. Yeah i get your point what you mean now. Thanks
That is the point. Due to limited number of P3C (ASW aircraft) and them being difficult to get hands on, we spared them but using more MPA to do the patrolling (just quoting as an example, not suggesting or denying that P3C will be difficult to procure). The P3C wont be sent for recon missions if we have a dedicated MPA aircraft for that purpose. The MPA fill in the gaps left due to smaller number of operational ASW.

Could you point out the difference btw too? never realised the difference before

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/atr-72-asw-anti-submarine-warfare-aircraft/

same platform,but equipment will have to add.Just the difference between

300px-SAS_Scandinavian_Airlines_Boeing_737-800_%28LN-RRJ%29_taking_off_from_Stockholm_-_Arlanda_Airport.jpg

and

p-8-pic2.jpg

Simply put;
  • MPA (Maritime Patrol Aircraft) are for reconnaissances and patrol, not an offensive platform against enemy assets.
  • ASW (Anti-Submarine Warefare) aircraft are fitted with torpedo and AShM to attack and destroy enemy ships and submarines
One is an offensive/attack platform and other is a defensive mobile outpost to guard and keep an eye on your area.
I'd say MPA is more of a blanket term, one that can include aerial ASW and AShW platforms. For surveillance I've seen people use Maritime Surveillance Aircraft (MSA).

I don't think so.

MG stands for the city in Germany called " Mönchengladbach ". It is a city in North-Rhine, Westphalia, Germany.

This city was formerly known as " Munchen Gladbach " and hence the abbreviation MG.

ATR 72 is a French-Italian Passenger Aircraft Production from company named ATR. Their latest version is ATR-72-600.

RAS ( stands for Rheinland Air Service ) is a German company located in Mönchengladbach ( MG ) Airport which is converting the Passenger Aircraft ATR-72 for ASW / Maritime Patrol role.

My question was if the Aircraft being converted was the latest ATR-72-600 or ATR-72-500 ?

Thanks, that answers my question.

I think those are ATR-72-500, if I am not mistaken.

Its a german specific upgrade, so cant say its 600 or 500. I read and speak german since 20 years, the author says MG- made in germany, may be its only a word play from the authors side.

Last edited:
I'd say MPA is more of a blanket term, one that can include aerial ASW and AShW platforms. For surveillance I've seen people use Maritime Surveillance Aircraft (MSA).
Correct, that was one aspect i missed on. You are spot on with this i would say sir.
@salarsikander you will find this useful.

Correct, that was one aspect i missed on. You are spot on with this i would say sir.
@salarsikander you will find this useful.
Besides the ATR-72 MP/ASW, I honestly believe there is a strong chance we'll see the C-295 MPA in PN colours too. Maybe not in the short-term, but in time as the P-3Cs age. The C-295 is an affordable and widely flown platform, but the C-295 MPA kit enables the aircraft to use both ASW torpedoes and AShM, and this is based on the last iteration (which Turkey will adopt). The PN could take it a step further by picking up an AESA radar.

i dont think ATR's carry any weapons!

secondly what is the current inventory of these ATR's in Pakistan Navy.

This aircraft is not good ASW platform because of its size/length and tech.... P3 P8 way much better

Besides the ATR-72 MP/ASW, I honestly believe there is a strong chance we'll see the C-295 MPA in PN colours too. Maybe not in the short-term, but in time as the P-3Cs age. The C-295 is an affordable and widely flown platform, but the C-295 MPA kit enables the aircraft to use both ASW torpedoes and AShM, and this is based on the last iteration (which Turkey will adopt). The PN could take it a step further by picking up an AESA radar.
Lets see. IAF will be operating 50-60 planes in the next few years.

If we can make it happen i say it would be a good choice. The main reason being the fact that there are lots of variants of this same aircraft and may be we can look at the gun ship ones along with the MPA/ASW aircraft. Also can use for AWACS and light transport. Will be a good choice to go with but the Indian deal may be a problem. Plus what about subsystems? I mean if we plan to integrate Chinese and/or Turkish radars and ASW equipment then why not go for a Chinese platform as well? What are the added benefits of C295 (considering the IAF deal as well)

Back
Top Bottom