What's new

RAF Eurofighter Typhoons 'beaten by Pakistani F-16s'

Did not fit into future plans.. still very sanction prone.. without the friendly support from nations flying the type..
even today with the Saudi's flying it, it would not have mattered.. since the Beduin loves his money more than they love you.

If the Ef is equipped with the AMRAAM.. and the Viper is equipped with the same.. then it all come down to the electronic gizmo's.. The CAPTOR radar's performance is slightly better in BVR modes than the APG-68(assuming its an upgraded F-16AM.. the CAPTOR will outperform the APG-66 by a mile). But will that matter at the maximum range of an AMRAAM 28nm??
Since it is likely that both jets would have spotted each other and would in burners to provide maximum KE to the shot..
The EF's DASS would provide an upper hand to the EF pilot.. whilst the F-16AM pilot would have to rely on whatever meagre(comparatively) defensive aids he has.
The EF still has the upper hand.. replace the AMRAAM on the EF with a meteor.. the F-16 is not going home for certain.

what role pilot skills play in missile aviodance. as in manoevering the plane to avoid the incoming

According to a Pakistani officer? :rofl: Without corroboration from an authentic independent unbiased source, this is just a lot of hot air!!

RAF Eurofighter Typhoons 'beaten by Pakistani F-16s' ? The Register

Before questioning the credibility of PAF officer why didn't you show your credibility and posted the whole paragrap instead of copying only a part of it. Here is the remaining part of your paragraph which you didn't posted.

It seems likelier that the story is the truth as he perceived it: that the RAF's new superfighter was thrashed in the very type of combat it is supposed to be best at by a 1970s-era plane, albeit much modernised.

According to a Pakistani officer? :rofl: Without corroboration from an authentic independent unbiased source, this is just a lot of hot air
Without reading the narrative on the exercise, I guess it's not difficult to conclude who is blowing it,
Incidentally, even Alan Warnes mentions the PAF's achievement in a recent article, suffice to say, he wouldn't have included it in a journal which is widely read by Airforce guys around the globe without solid confirmation. !!!

All said and done.. real world.. the EF would have engaged the viper from miles off using an AMRAAM.. and have had a greater chance of surviving the return shot.

But are not simulation's played to depict original war fields.

Anyway thats what I too see completely fishy,why EFT's choose to ignore their BVR capability which is their fort.

what role pilot skills play in missile aviodance. as in manoevering the plane to avoid the incoming

They would.. and there is a whole discourse on it in other section so I wont elaborate it here.
But there is only so much training can do.

It is possible for F-16 to shoot a EF out of sky. It all depends on the circumstances of the engagement.

The results of a training exercise should not be used for judging the plane.

In a training exercise, no fighter EVER uses its radars and sensors at its full potential, almost always the the radar operates on a reduced capabilioty mode.

That means, in an actual war, possibly, the EFT will blow away the F-16 even before the F-16 realizes on what hit it.

But since this a WVR setup, congrats to PAF for a very good performance.

But this shows RAF in poorlight, since the Typhoon is supposed to be an air dominance fighter and that dominance must come in both - BVR as well as WVR.

But are not simulation's played to depict original war fields.

Anyway thats what I too see completely fishy,why EFT's choose to ignore their BVR capability which is their fort.

Nothing fishy about it..
Training set up's are varied..
This may have been set up as a WVR engagement.

But it has happened that aircraft of differing generations have defeated more advanced ones in close combat.. PAF FT-5(mig-17's) have gotten the better of F-16's in training..
I have read of one incident where IAF mig-21's have bettered their mig-29's ..

Whether its true or not.. well, that comes down to what you wish to believe.. what seems plausible.
The rest of his interview seems plausible to me... people being cynical jackasses wont change the reality of it being a hoax.. or a true occurrence..
both satisfy the ego's of immature fanboys..

A question for members with insights into the Air Force fighting dynamics...

In todays times of modern fighter, AWACS etc ... Is Dog Fight/WVR even relevant? If I have a BVR system, won't I just kill the enemy before I see his plane?

3-0 is annihilation and all congrats to PAF men... At the same time, I am surprised about is that Brit pilots are not so well trained in WVR fight... How can one of the famous air forces of the world have so weak dog-fight capabilities...

Because they don't work harder but SMARTER.

Without reading the narrative on the exercise, I guess it's not difficult to conclude who is blowing it,
Incidentally, even Alan Warnes mentions the PAF's achievement in a recent article, suffice to say, he wouldn't have included it in a journal which is widely read by Airforce guys around the globe without solid confirmation. !!!
Ah! Then all I can say is - Typhoons suck! Thank God we're going in for the Rafale!! :cheesy:

why then rafale choosing not to go for close in fights at international excersics...

It is.. went toe to toe with M2K-9's and F-22 raptors during ATLC in the UAE.

Back
Top Bottom