What's new

Question to Indians

Basbug

BANNED
Reaction score
I would like to ask Indians some questions.

Most important is why is there such huge spending on defence, I think you are going over the top, like 2-3 AC, so many different jets and massive spending when you have enough deterrence and not an upcoming war..... Instead of buying so so much if you spend some of that on the poor it can help like build like a massive housing project for poor, like hundreds of modern flats will cost you like 1/10 of even one AC.

Second is why is their buying so unorganised, you have so many different jets it looks very unorganised like soon rafale, Russian SU jets, Russian migs, Indian new jet coming up, New PAKFA, harrier, jaguar etcccc already counted so many instead why don't you have like 3 that can do many roles.

Also I read that you will get 100 ships by 2017 is that serious? By ships do you mean everything even coast guards and little things or just big, if it's true I think that just mad spending to show off, we have a word ayagn yorganina göre uzat which mean do appropriate spending.

Thanks

Most important is why is there such huge spending on defence, I think you are going over the top, like 2-3 AC, so many different jets and massive spending when you have enough deterrence and not an upcoming war..... Instead of buying so so much if you spend some of that on the poor it can help like build like a massive housing project for poor, like hundreds of modern flats will cost you like 1/10 of even one AC.

Second is why is their buying so unorganised, you have so many different jets it looks very unorganised like soon rafale, Russian SU jets, Russian migs, Indian new jet coming up, New PAKFA, harrier, jaguar etcccc already counted so many instead why don't you have like 3 that can do many roles.

Also I read that you will get 100 ships by 2017 is that serious? By ships do you mean everything even coast guards and little things or just big, if it's true I think that just mad spending to show off, we have a word ayagn yorganina göre uzat which mean do appropriate spending.

Thanks

You want to know everything? In how many words. 100 or 200?

We need to spend on defence. We were attacked four times by one neighbour, and attacked them once; with another, bigger neighbour, some stupid leadership forced us into a war that traumatized us, almost permanently.

We buy from everywhere because unlike countries which happily became slaves of the Americans, we elected to stay neutral between the US and the USSR, and were penalized for that.

Now we are trying to develop our own, so that no supplier can blackmail us.

That enough?

These questions are already answerd in the forum.

a) why spending on defence: We have an enemy which can attack us anytime, Pakistan.
b) China is bigger threat, You can see china agenda in SCS,how they are grabbing lands from Viets,Japan and others.

Why not spending on public welfare: who told u that we are not spending on welfare. You know there is something called budget, The money is provided for welfare work as well. The only problem is corruption, the money is get eaten by corrupts. If we divert all money from defence deal to welfare, then also nothing will change.

Its like yearly budget is providing money for all, Defence dept is doing less corruption while other ,more.

Why buying unorganised: coz our inventory is old and our need is diverse.

MiG21: Bought long time ago , now no one make it
Jaguar: Bought long time ago
MiG23/27: Bought long time ago...

Ideally MiG21, MiG27, jags should have been retired by now. The ideal condition coukd be
1. MIG29 series
2. Su27 series
3. Mirage/Rafael

Its like a woman been given her husbands VISA card- and she went bezerk on a sensless shopping spree-

This is questions to Indians thread, not fatwas on India thread.

At the original question - poster can you with numbers show how india spends as a percentage of GDP more than the international norm for a country the size and location of India. As you formulate that question, you will find your answer.

Thanks

Indian defence spending is 1.5% or near of GDP and we live in tough neighborhood including a unstable nation who threatens with nukes and other an asian giant with big military power.World point us on defence expanding coz we import lot and also the with rise in economy,defence expenditure is increased.

Even pakistan spends more than us if we compare as per GDP.

and we spend a lot on poverty but it looks negligible due to corruption coz here both consumer and spender are corrupt.

------------

We already had inventory of russian and french jets and we are updating them just or replacing them with new.

----------

Our coast is long enough and its not possible to guard when on one side you have paksitan and on other side you have chinese threat and guarding indian ocean too.....

and in future to guard energy lines,we need huge navy.

India are a country surrounded by two nuclear armed strong militaries. One is China and one is Pakistan with both we had territory disputes and wars.
As they move closer towards cooperation in various fields including defense India has spend to fight a defensive war just in case both invade (worst case scenario for Indian armed forces).

Second is Indian Ocean. Our strategic defense mainly lies at sea so India needs a strong Navy to safe guard its interests and block malacca straits in case of war with China.
Indian ocean also has lot of Natural resources, India also has to defend those assets and Trade routes. This is the reason India is spending more on Navy and will continue spending to strengthen its naval assets.

Regarding diversifying our defense purchases, India wants best of technologies available in the world market and try to integrate them into our customized products Sukhoi_30MKI is a finest example of that. Indian scientists are trying to digest these technologies and try to gain knowledge to further improve and indigenize. Hope this strategy works and we will have better defense industry in future.

Ahh We are spending not only on defence but on other sectors too.

Some of the major allocations made for different sectors of economy are as follows:

Agriculture and Allied Activities

• Budgetary allocation for agriculture and allied activities 2012-13 increased by 18%
• 9217 crore rupees allocated for Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana.
• 1000 crore rupees for Bringing Green Revolution to Eastern India (BGREI) project
• 300 crore rupees to Vidarbha Intensified Irrigation Development Programme under RKVY.
• 200 crore rupees allocated for incentivising research with rewards
• 14242 crore rupees allocated for Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP)
• 500 crore rupees provided to broaden scope of production of fish to coastal aquaculture

Rural Development

• 14,000 crore rupees allocated for rural drinking water and sanitation
• 24000 crore rupees allocated for Pradhan Mantri Grameen Sadak Yojna
• 12040 crore rupees provided for Backward Regions Grant Fund scheme
• 20,000 crore rupees allocated for Rural Infrastructure Development Fund
• 5000 crore rupees earmarked for creating warehousing facilities

Education

• Sarva Siksha Abhiyan-Right to Education- 25555 crore rupees
• 3124 crore rupees provided for Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA)
Health
• 20822 crore rupees National Rural Health Mission

Employment and skill development

• 3915 crore rupees provided for National Rural Livelihood Mission
• 1276 crore rupees allocated for Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme
• 1000 crore rupees allocated for National Skill Development Fund

Defence and Security

• 193407 crore rupees aallocated for Defence services including 79579crore rupees for capital expenditure
• 1185 crore rupees to be allocated for construction of nearly 4000 residential quarters for Central Armed Police Forces
• 3280 crore rupees proposed to be allocated for construction of office building of CentralArmed Police Forces

Infrastructure and Industrial Development

• 25360 crore rupees allocated for Road Transport and Highways Ministry
• 3884 crore rupees loan waiver for handloom weavers and their cooperative societies
• 500 crore rupees pilot scheme announced for promotion and application of Geo-textile in the North Eastern Region
• 70 crore rupees allocated to set up a powerloom mega cluster in Ichalkaranji in Maharashtra
• 5000 crore rupees India Opportunities Venture Fund to be set up with SIDBI
• 15888 crore rupees to be provided for capitalisation of public sector banks and financial institutions

Other major allocations

• 37113 crore rupees allocated for Scheduled Castes Sub Plan
• 21710 crore rupees earmarked for Tribal Sub Plan

Pakistan and China are both Nuclear states and they have both fought wars with India. Secondly, the Indian Armed forces is modernizing according to 21st century standards. For example the Mig 21s are old, and are being phased out. So we need replacements. For that we bought the Rafale. etc.,

Also the IAF's sanctioned strength is about 42 squadrons I guess. Currently we have only 34, so we need planes for those.

On top of all that is India's global ambitions. India is the 3rd largest economy according to PPP, and wants to become a regional power. With China building up, Pakistan building up, we need to balance it out by building up ourselves to keep the status quo and the power balance in the region.

As for the money spent being used on the poor, that is actually a wrong assumption. Defense procurements/developments diversify into various industries that actually result in industrialization and jobs. So its actually something we should spend MORE money on. Current spending is too less actually. Plus the ToTs, research etc will help in knowledge addition.

Lastly, taking money from somewhere and giving it to someone else wont reduce poverty. You need the means to tackle poverty and hand outs are not the way to do it.

Its to not let your enemy plan any sort of fixed strategy towards you. Thats why Indian planes integrate all kinds of tech. For example we have Russian air frames, Israeli, French and Indian avionics. This is just my opinion.

Also, where the jets come from dont matter. Its the role they play in the airforce that matters. Most Indian jets are from France and Russia. So I guess its not THAT unorganized anyway.

I guess yes, 49 on order, 49 more to be ordered I THINK. Not sure. But we have a 7000 km coastline, so I guess we need that much to protect those borders. And I guess it will be mostly submarines, ACCs, destroyers, corvettes etc., Not sure exactly what they are building.

Some would argue that our defence institutions are not spending enough. Money gets allocated, little gets spent--which is just plain wrong if you ask me. We really need to clear the bureaucratic hurdles in defense procurements.

Ideally, I would like to live in a world with no weapons at all.

But then, every defence deal gives our politicians and bureaucrats an opportunity to earn big bucks through kickbacks - through Bofors guns, through jets, even through coffins. Our politicians will make hay while the sun shines.

I understand India's need to protect its coastlines - but then given its size, would 100 ships be sufficient? Shouldn't they be investing in technology which keeps them informed via satellite when Indians naval borders are breached without permission?

Back
Top Bottom