What's new

Q&A with PAF Fighter Pilot, Kaiser Tufail

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A very insightful interview from Wing Cdre (R) Kaiser Tufail of the Pakistani Air Force. Well worth a listen, but here are the main takeaways:
1 - The PL-15 is confirmed for the Block III JF-17.
2 - The PAF plans to retire Mirages and F-7s by 2025.
3 - The PAF is interested in inducting more Falcons, depending on whether Uncle Sam wants to play ball.
4 - No plans to induct any new platforms like the J-10 until the Mirages and F-7s retire and the JF-17 fleet reaches full strength.
5 - Chinese radars, particularly the newer AESA radars are every bit as good as their western counterparts.
6 - The PAF is confident that the Block III JF-17 is going to be as capable as the Rafale in BVR engagements, and have an edge in WVR engagements.
7 - The PAF is confident that its F-16s and JF-17s are going to be able to deal with India's Rafales, given the aforementioned parity in technology and also the PAF's decades of experience in operating its platforms.
8 - JF-17 vs. Tejas: Both are fairly evenly matched, but in BVR the Thunder takes it, especially the Block III.
9 - No plans for the Pakistani Navy to get its own fighter squadron.
10 - An interesting story about letters from Neil Armstrong

Credit for Points : Ashas Bukhari

Point 5 = Depends upon which variants are being compared (Chinese show promise in this domain but USA maintain significant lead over all by and large)

Point 6 = Too early to tell (Rafale is an evolving platform as well)

Point 7 = Hopefully

I remembered an interesting story.When I was in high school, PLAF organized pilot selection.One of the requirements is not to be too tall.The popular explanation was that shorter people were more resistant to overload.
When I was watching the video, I remembered how small the cockpits were in the Soviet Union.It is the Chinese F7 mentioned in the video.

Is this height explanation just a rumor?

Did any of you post any Questions?

Some questions were so lame and seemed to have been written without giving it even a single thought...

I remembered an interesting story.When I was in high school, PLAF organized pilot selection.One of the requirements is not to be too tall.The popular explanation was that shorter people were more resistant to overload.
When I was watching the video, I remembered how small the cockpits were in the Soviet Union.It is the Chinese F7 mentioned in the video.

Let's go with the word of the fighter pilot who has flown in those jets. And in the above video, the popular explanation you shared was not coherent with the reason PAF pilot gave to the audience.

For all interesting questions due to confidentiality answer was "I am not supposed to tell you this" but still its always nice to hear him.

Point 5 = Depends upon which variants are being compared (Chinese show promise in this domain but USA maintain significant lead over all by and large)

Point 6 = Too early to tell (Rafale is an evolving platform as well)

Point 7 = Hopefully
I would add:
Point 2 - doubtful for M3/5 given reach out to EAF for legacy Horus. There will remain around 3-4 squads for SOWs. Similarly F7 - these would be the F7Ps not PGs. The later are ideal for point defence and newer.

I knew a pilot (although fixed wing-navy) who went to PAF risalpur for basic training around 05.

He said something similar but this was due to the cockpit size restriction.

I would add:
Point 2 - doubtful for M3/5 given reach out to EAF for legacy Horus. There will remain around 3-4 squads for SOWs. Similarly F7 - these would be the F7Ps not PGs. The later are ideal for point defence and newer.
I hear much about HORUS lately.

JF-17 Thunder is advancing at an impressive pace;

Block I = experiments;
Block II = supporting roles;
Block III = mission independence on several counts;

These jets offer 'versatility' and 'mission capability' which are a must for PAF in the coming years (standoff munitions (Ra'ad series ALCM) = very important consideration given the fact that India will receive Russian S-400 systems at some point). Expected electronic upgrades such as KLJ-7A AESA radar system, HMD, and integrated EW components will enable these jets to hold their own against most capable combat aircraft in the inventory of IAF for a while (much thanks to Chinese assistance in this regard). Higher quality engines = another very important consideration.

Expanding mission capability in short, therefore, some of the older aircraft are very likely to be replaced.

However, I will insist that a single platform can never be enough for every role imagined given the fact that defensive-applications continue to evolve and new types of threats continue to emerge as well as Indian moves to diversify its defensive applications. Even with JF-17 Thunder Block III variants in the picture, the F-16 fleet will remain a valuable force-multiplier and it will continue to offer important mission capabilities of its own (Block 52+ in particular). PAF should try its best to source the cutting-edge F-16 Block 70/72 in decent numbers [if possible] and/or Swedish and Turkish developments and options in the long-term (growing out-of-touch with Western options is a worrisome dynamic to be in). SAAB has rolled out world's first AESA radar system with GaN TRMs for use in fighter aircraft - very impressive accomplishment.

On 27-02-19; PAF delivered results with effective utilization of virtually everything it had in its arsenal including inter-platform coordination capabilities (netcentric); this was by no means an 'easy' accomplishment. Indians were caught with their pants down on this day but it would be foolish to assume that they cannot (will not) commit a much bigger strike package with new types of armaments for a particular mission in the near future. They are also working to deploy a number of SAM systems close to Pakistani border in the near future (S-400 systems will be complemented by others). Questionable quality of Indian professionals notwithstanding, they have plans to make it difficult for PAF to operate over Indian borders and airspace.

My 2 cents.

some very good question and a very interesting answer by KT

At 25:50

Q: Are there any plans for the indigenous BVR weapon system by the Air weapon complex?
A: Classified, No comments.

At 26:47

Q: Are PAF pilots acquainted with Qatari Rafales?
A: Can't answer that.

At 23:00, his statement means that Jeff will be able to replace all of our mirages. This does put a smile on my face. :-)
@The Eagle @Deino @araz @Zarvan

It was said pretty much the way Sir KT describes. However, online argument was that the delta cannot be replaced as such but then again, we need to consider the facts as per doctrine and operational requirements given the capability of Thunders as well as our limitations. I think a lot has been changed since the time of Mirages being built for specific role having limitations on that time... we are looking at newer weapons, smart payloads, electronics, avionics etc etc that can be referred for the replacement of Mirages with Thunders that can do the job per current air warfare & advancements.

Back
Top Bottom