What's new

Punjabis ruling both India and Pakistan

It's not Punjabi. Its Paari or Pahari. There are similarities because Punjab borders Azad Jammu and Kashmir. I can provide you as much evidence as you want. Some people from Azad Jammu and Kashmir mix Punjabi with Pahari when they speak.

Depends on how you classify language/dialect

As per Ethnologue and Glottolog (both follow ISO 639 standard),

Western Panjabi, Saraiki, Southern Hindko, Northern Hindko, Jakati, Pahari-Potwari, Mirpur Panjabi and Khetrani are members of Lahnda macrolanguage

But then, as per ISO 639 classification, even Pakistani and Indian Punjabis are two different languages !! ..

I have a put forward a proposal to them regarding changing the classification of Mirpuri Paa'ri. I have included evidence. Insha Allah, I should get a reply soon.

It depends on usage and understanding too. There is no doubt that there are similarities between the language of Azad Jammu and Kashmir and Punjabi. But then there are similarities between Urdu, Hindi, and Punjabi. They are three different languages.

What proposal have you put forward? They follow some strict rules/standards (regardless of the accuracy)

Urdu and Punjabi are two different languages, but Seraiki and Punjabi (or Hindko and Punjabi )are not

Maybe due to different writing systems.

There are more than one writing systems used for writing Eastern Panjabi (GurMukhi&Devanagari)

The point is that if Indian and Pakistani Punjabi are two different languages as per Ethnologue/ISO 639-3

It's hardly a surprise that Seraiki, Hindko or Mirpuri have been listed as individual languages (instead of dialects).

I disagree. Provide some evidence. Anyway you have a right to your own opinion.

Kun, kus, kaile, jaile, ule, kro, mii, tui, etc is not Punjabi.

I do not know what you are talking about.
it is pahari/mirpuri.

mirpuri log city banndey ta pahari banndey oh pari perr rehney.

Example:

Old.
Hindi/Urdu/Punjabi: puraana.
Mirpuri Paa'ri/Pahari: praana.
Kashmiri: pronu.

In our Gujranwala punjabi language the word for old is "prana" and not "purana", that is without any vowel between p and r. we generally don't like to have vowel at the beginning of the words we rather prefer to have consonant clusters like "pr" instead of "pur" which is urdu/hindi style of pronunciation.

Adverb
When.
Punjabi: kadon
Mirpuri Paa'ri/Pahari: kaile.
Nepali: kaile or kahile or kailhe.
Kashmiri: keli.

The word for "When" in Gujranwala punjabi is not just limited to "kadon", we regulary also say "kaihray wailay" and often shortened to just "kaihlay" which means "at what time", your example in pahari languages "kaile" seem to me equivalent ot a kind of short form of that. I have often felt that pahari speaking people speak too fast compared to us in the plains, I feel like they developed a lot of shortcut pronunciations of punjabi words to facilitate the speed of their talking which is always pretty fast.

Imperative "eat it".
Punjabi: isnu khaao.
How do you say that in Mirpuri Paa'ri or Pahari:?

We don't say "isnu khaao", we say in punjabi "ay nu kha" to people who we are frank with and "ay nu khao" to our elders in a formal way, but jangli and other western punjabi dialects (jhang, chinyot, sargodha etc.) speaking people say "ays nu khao".

Last edited:
I did not cover all varieties of Punjabi. Just one version.

When.
Kaile is Nepali.
Kaile kaile means "sometimes" in Nepali.

https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/turnernepali_query.py?page=105.

Keli in Kashmiri.

https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/grierson_query.py?page=436

In Mirpuri Paa'ri/Pahari it is also kaile.

Eat it.
Punjabi: ay nu khao (Gujranwala).
Mirpuri Paa'ri/Pahari:
issi khao,
issi khai shoro,
issi khai kino,
khaos,
khai kinos,
khai shoros.

https://dsalsrv04.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/soas_query.py?qs=purāṇá&searchhws=yes

For all these ways to say to eat we have equivalent in our Gujranwala punjabi and your examples from mirpur look to me related to them on dialectal basis.

issi khao (Mirpur)
ay nu khao (Gujranwala)

issi khai shoro (Mirpur)
ay nu kha sharr (also chhadd) (Gujranwala)

issi khai kino(Mirpur)
Ay nu kha lay(Gujranwala)

khaos (Mirpur)
kha su ainu (Gujranwala)

khai kinos (Mirpur)
kha lay su (Gujranwala)

khai shoros (Mirpur)
kha sharr (also chhadd) su (Gujranwala)

"su" is often interchanged with "hu" in our area. In fact many in many words "s" and "h" are interchangeable like asi to ahi, tusi to tuhi etc.

What does that prove, it proves that you have just "surface" knowledge of the varieties of saying a sentence in punjabi language. That is what happens when you rely only on books and internet. "ay nu khao" is just one of many many ways to say the same thing.

Last edited:
What do you mean surface level. I am under no obligation to spend all day on here.

Also, "shor" is not Punjabi.
We have a suffix "s" that does not exist in Punjabi

We in Gujranwala use "chhadd", "chharr" and "sharr" interchangeably.

Shor is not Punjabi.
Tell me which language it's from it your knowledge is profound.

You are a troll and I ban you for interaction with me, it is called putting someone on ignore list.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom