What's new

Punjab-Balochistan 500-km long Kachhi Canal Project

latest news, Phase-I of project is supposed to be completed in 2018.

http://nation.com.pk/business/08-Mar-2017/ecnec-approves-3-projects-including-kachhi-canal

ISLAMABAD - The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) on Tuesday approved three development projects including Kachhi Canal project, which cost has been enhanced to Rs80.5 billion from initial cost of Rs31.2 billion.

The projects were approved in a meeting chaired by Finance Minister Senator Ishaq Dar. Federal Minister for Planning and Development Prof Ahsan Iqbal, Federal Minister for Food Security Sikandar Hayat Bosan, provincial ministers and senior officials of federal and provincial governments also attended the meeting.

The government in 2003 had approved the project at a cost of Rs31.2 billion for irrigating 713,000 acres of land in Balochistan. However, the project suffered since the beginning, as its cost increased twice. The government first revised the cost to Rs57.6 billion in December 2013. However, the ECENC yesterday gave approval for Kachhi canal project (phase-I) at a cost of Rs80,352 million. The project aims at development of water and land resources within the less developed areas of Balochistan covering districts of Dera Bugti, Naseerabad, Bolan, Kachhi and Jhal Magsi. Kachhi canal off takes at Taunsa Barrage from river Indus with peak discharge of 6,000 cusecs and will ultimately irrigate an area of 713,000 acres.

Under Phase-I of the project, 72,000 acres would be irrigated. The project will boost the agriculture production of food grain, fiber and oilseeds. It will also facilitate availability of potable drinking water.

Thanks mate. it's a pity that this project is still "on Paper's". and still, we are only revisingn cost time to time but didn't started work on that. i hope this "allocated budget" is provided to this project and do not turn out another Chasma left canal project.

Thanks mate. it's a pity that this project is still "on Paper's". and still, we are only revisingn cost time to time but didn't started work on that. i hope this "allocated budget" is provided to this project and do not turn out another Chasma left canal project.

Its not on paper, but work is slow and cost is only increasing with time. It started in Musharaf era and still not completed.

During flood season or heavy rain , it is always good to divert , extra water by Under ground channels (Pipelines) as much as possible to reduce flooding down towards Sindh

If nations 1000 years ago used Canals to properly channel water certainly doable now with modern technology present

We really waste 95% of water and only use 5% of it in our daily needs due to poor preservations and lack of artificial lakes

The entire canal system needs upgrading plus better alignment using modern tech. This will reduce convenience losses.
It is sad to see the management not using new technology to help plan and execute these large projects. These days one could map topography of an entire country with ease and computer software can be used to get the best possible route for a canal/road etc. But wapda has time and again disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom