What's new

Public hangings in Iran

Capital Punishment is Barbaric. And Public hanging is even more barbaric. A society that needs to be kept in fear about rape in such a way is seriously not a civilized society.
Bullsh1t. The closer the crime occur to home, the worse the emotional impact and there is nothing more close to home than a robbery, rape, and murder, in that order. The worse the emotional impact, the greater the desire for retribution and vengeance and there is nothing worse than having your body violated.

Here is what I did to an anti death penalty believer many years ago...I slapped him in the middle of his rant. He responded violently and both of us were restrained by other people. I slapped him not out of malice but the point was made to him that now he must question himself on how would any woman feel after a rape or how would any father feel after his child was killed by another.

TX Dad Who Killed Daughter's Attacker Not Charged | Reuters
A grand jury decided not to bring charges against the Texas dad who killed a man molesting his daughter.

Some crimes are so emotionally damaging, so morally outrageous, and so physically offensive that retribution and vengeance, even when conducted by the impersonal State, weighs more than the idea of deterrence.

In the US where some states have the death penalty, a few members of the public are selected to be witness that the execution actually took place. I may not believe in public execution for the entertainment of the masses, but I support the death penalty for these most morally outrageous crimes.

Fear depends on society you are brought in, your expectation from life and how much you can lose.
I wont do even a minor crime, because I have too much to lose, but a begger/tramp might.

We need to create a society where a mere prison sentence( even with all mod cons) is enough to make people think twice.
In the meantime, stop the public display of barbarity.(remeber, even public hanging is an advancement over medival way of punishment)

Everyone fears death the most in my opinion.And I dont see how we can make people be afraid of cells.I doubt some psychopaths even fear death though...So yeah...

IMHO Death Penalty can only be given to MURDERERS......for all other cases(including rape), it is NOT justified.....

Giving death penalty to rapists have a profound inhibitory psychological effect on normal human beings especially on a MALE child....
In the short run it may seem justified but in the Long Run, this inhibitory psychological effect when continued for generations after generations, may result in impotency....

Humans are born with this 'basic instinct'(along with many other instincts)..... it needs to be controlled but not prohibited....i.e you can punish the rapists as you punish someone for any other 'Human Rights Violation' case but killing ONLY for rape has a detrimental effect on the society......

While a murderer kills someone,a rapist destroys a persons life.That person is alive,but cant go back to her/his life again.They can never be the same person again,and they are most likely to be judged by society.Where as a murderer has taken away a life(which is not justified,and deserves death sentence),a rapist keeps its victim alive but violates its soul in unimaginable inhumane ways which put the soul beyond repair in most cases.So they are worse if you ask me,and they deserve worse punishment,maybe public torture for days,then death.

Wonderfully outsmarted by my friends here on PDF. Lovely comments on the first page.

@OP starter: Don't start a thread to lecture others. You're an American, a country with savage human right abuses and a savage history, which is continuing to this day. Do NOT lecture others on how to govern their country.

we have to see the annual numbers and compare them to countries with similar pop'n and economic standards. If Iran's figures are lower, than we can say the executions are preventing more crime and any year-to-year increase or decrease is irrelavent. If the situation is similar to other countries or worse, than we can say the executions are pointless, but that's a big if......

Here are the annual numbers for you......

Number of Executions in IRAN, year wise from 2007-2011

Year Executions

2007 317
2008 346
2009 388
2010 252
2011 360

Death penalty statistics, country by country | visualisation and data | News | guardian.co.uk

The execution rate is more or less steady, which in turn implies that the crime rate is more or less steady....

Well, you can say, at least the crime rate is not increasing, BUT I can say, it's neither decreasing....despite of having death penalty....

Now, if you think, abolishing death penalty would increase crime rate, then how would you explain this(see below)....

DPvNonDPStates.jpg

The Death Penalty and Deterrence | Amnesty International USA

I'm certain that Iran is much safer than any country with similar pop'n and economic status.

Iran is the second largest executioner in the world.....

Every year so many people are executed PUBLICLY....still the crime rate is same year after year...
People are witnessing public hanging of rapists and murderers more than 300 times a year still the same no. of crimes next year....
People are not deterred even by the fear of death.....and you think Iran is the safest place on earth....
Don't you think the problem lies elsewhere....

Here are the annual numbers for you......

Number of Executions in IRAN, year wise from 2007-2011

Year Executions

2007 317
2008 346
2009 388
2010 252
2011 360

Death penalty statistics, country by country | visualisation and data | News | guardian.co.uk

The execution rate is more or less steady, which in turn implies that the crime rate is more or less steady....

Well, you can say, at least the crime rate is not increasing, BUT I can say, it's neither decreasing....despite of having death penalty....

Now, if you think, abolishing death penalty would increase crime rate, then how would you explain this(see below)....

DPvNonDPStates.jpg

The Death Penalty and Deterrence | Amnesty International USA

Iran is the second largest executioner in the world.....

Every year so many people are executed PUBLICLY....still the crime rate is same year after year...
People are witnessing public hanging of rapists and murderers more than 300 times a year still the same no. of crimes next year....
People are not deterred even by the fear of death.....and you think Iran is the safest place on earth....
Don't you think the problem lies elsewhere....

Dude what is your point? Hanging people in pulbic or not is not the case.. There is no diffierence between the ''hanging'' punishment if its inside or outside. This wont control the crime rates. But if we talking about stoning and beheading.. that we must follow the numbers that how many people do the same crime because of that punishment.. Also in sharia countries the crime rate of robbing or stealing is low because of the fact that you know that if you get captured, that you will lose a hand.

Dont manipulate people now with the numbers.

i think public hanging is just like doing crime instead of punishing someone

Iran executes three men on homosexuality charges

Saeed Kamali Dehghan, guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 7 September 2011 14.41 EDT

The men, only identified by their initials, were hanged on Sunday in the south-western city of Ahvaz, the capital of Iran's Khuzestan province.

"The three convicts were sentenced to death based on the articles 108 and 110 of Iran's Islamic penal code, for acts against the sharia law and bad deeds," the Isna agency quoted a judiciary official in Khuzestan as saying.

Iran Human Rights, an independent NGO based in Norway, said the men were charged with "lavat" – sexual intercourse between two men. It is not clear whether the three men were homosexuals or merely smeared with homosexualityaccused of being gay.

Isna said the men were also convicted of robbery and kidnapping.

Three other people were also executed on the same day on charges related to drug-dealing, rape and robbery.

It is believed that the execution of the three men is the first time for many years that any Iranians have been given death sentences on the basis of their sexuality.

In the past, Iran has executed convicts for homosexuality but they were typically simultaneously convicted of other charges that carried the death sentence, such as male rape.

"The executions for sodomy might be among the rare cases where the Iranian authorities admit to having executed men convicted of homosexual acts ... Iranian authorities normally present such cases as rape, but rape has not been mentioned in this case," said Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, a spokesman for IHR.

Mohammad Mostafaei, a prominent Iranian lawyer who has represented people accused of homosexuality and now lives in exile in Norway, said in an email: "It is not clear whether these three men had any lawyers or were tried without legal representation. Who are their lawyers? I believe they are innocent.

"We should not forget what [president] Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in a speech during his visit to New York for the UN general assembly when he said we don't have homosexuals in Iran and no one will be punished for homosexuality in the country. Many innocent people have indeed been sentenced to death or hanged in secret based on such ambiguous accusations in Iran [in recent years]."

Ahmadinejad famously said in New York: "In Iran, we don't have homosexuals like you do in your country. This does not exist in our country."

In August 2010, an 18-year-old Iranian, Ebrahim Hamidi, a client of Mostafaei,faced execution on charges of homosexuality on the basis of "judge's knowledge" which is a legal loophole that allows for subjective judicial rulings where there is no conclusive evidence. Hamidi, who has been temporarily reprieved after his case drew widespread international attention, is not gay.

In July, human rights groups raised alarm over a sharp escalation in the use of capital punishment in Iran where almost two people a day were executed in the first six months of 2011.

Islam advises against execution during the holy month of Ramadan but capital punishments have again taken place since the fasting month came to an end last week.

Iran executes three men on homosexuality charges | World news | The Guardian

Iran: where bill posters are raped

The Times July 06, 2010 12:00AM

AMONG the many harrowing tales from Iranian refugees, few can match Farrokh's account of how he was raped by the Basij for sticking posters on a wall.

Sitting in his flat in the southern city of Kayseri, the 27-year-old, who is gay, told his story yesterday, growing agitated and chain-smoking while he did so.

"I still can't believe anyone could do such a thing," he said.

Though Farrokh is far from Iran he would still not give his full name or be photographed face-on for fear of reprisals against his family. He was a human rights activist working clandestinely for the Iranian Railroad for Queer Refugees, a group that supports homosexuals in a country where gay sex is punishable by lashing or execution.

In last year's presidential elections, Farrokh campaigned for Mehdi Karroubi, a reformist candidate. He then supported the opposition movement in his home town of Karaj, an hour's drive from Tehran.

On the symbolically important 40th day after the death of Neda Agha Soltan - a young woman whose shooting death made her a worldwide icon of the opposition - he went out at night with two friends to stick pictures of her on walls. Two plainclothes security agents in a passing car caught them and took them to a Basij base.

They were made to stand blindfolded in a yard for 90 minutes and were asked repeatedly whether they were working for the MKO - an exiled opposition movement. Farrokh was then taken alone to a classroom where the two men began hitting him.

His problems really began when one of the men noticed that he had dyed hair and plucked eyebrows - a sign of being gay in Iran. They bludgeoned him with batons, kicked him and accused him of besmirching the honour of men. "I was begging for mercy," he said. "I told them I was a transsexual . . . I was saying I need a sex-change operation."

Transgender people are at least tolerated by the regime but it made no difference. They took him to another room and left him.

When they returned they told him to take off his jeans and underpants. "I did what most people do - I started crying," he said.

They told him mockingly that he was beautiful and they would like to do to his mother and sister what they were about to do to him.

The men knocked him to the ground face down and one man knelt on his head and arms while the other raped him. Farrokh passed out. When he came round he was naked but alone.

"I don't even know if he finished or if he was the only one," he said. In the small hours of the morning he was given his clothes back and taken to another building, where his father was waiting. The Basij had found his number on Farrokh's mobile telephone.

"We never talked of what happened but they knew," he said of his family.

For days he slept, but only fitfully, suffered fainting fits and was afraid to be alone. Then he went back to his human rights work. "I needed to look at it like a fight, a war situation. It helped me persuade myself that what happened was not a catastrophe," he said.

Farrokh fled to Turkey in December. Another man, with whose former partner Farrokh had begun a relationship, recorded his telephone conversations and threatened to betray him. His house was raided days after he left. He is awaiting settlement in the West but yearns for his home and family.

Farrokh believes the regime uses rape as a weapon. He said of his attackers: "They don't know what they are doing. They see the (Supreme) Leader as their god and they think whatever they do to serve him is moral and good.

"What's important to the regime right now is survival and nothing is off limits," he said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ry-e6frg6so-1225888214366 The Australian[/url

Wow i didn't know that public hangings is more democratic than beheading.:woot:
how is democracy relevant anyway? :cry:
He's saying that OP is crying for "democracy" in Iran while in Saudi you guys can't even go to cinemas and don't let your women drive. That's what he's saying. Basically if OP cares about people's rights in the ME, he should start with the kingdom.

At the others. You guys don't seem to realize that the vast majority of the executions happen in the prisons, not in public. Those are rare cases. They have to be stopped though. However, having executions is none of anybody's business but Iranians. At the Indians crying over the life of criminals: please go and cry over the death of baby girls in your country or the lack of basic hygiene in your nation which result in disease and deaths. The few hundred rapists, criminals and killers in our country aren't worth your fake asss tears nor are any of your concern.

OP, there is something srsly wrong with you to be obsessed about a country you don't share anything with. You guys are on another planet in terms of geography and culture and yet you spend all day, every day, on this forum posting news about Iran, all negative. As I've told you before, an old man must enjoy his life before he kicks the bucket. Spending your days posting hateful messages about Iranians is the biggest waste of life I can think of lol

you spend all day, every day, on this forum posting news about Iran, all negative.

I only post straightforward news about Iran. Since I am retired, I have time to post interesting articles for other, busier, members of this Forum to think about and discuss. You say the ones I post on Iran are "negative". That is just your opinion. I think they accurately reflect events in Iran. I express no judgement about whether these Iranian events are "positive" or "negative". You are the one who is characterizing my Iranian events posts as "negative". If you think your country is "negative", that is your own opinion. Not mine.

He's saying that OP is crying for "democracy" in Iran while in Saudi you guys can't even go to cinemas and don't let your women drive. That's what he's saying. Basically if OP cares about people's rights in the ME, he should start with the kingdom.

At the others. You guys don't seem to realize that the vast majority of the executions happen in the prisons, not in public. Those are rare cases. They have to be stopped though. However, having executions is none of anybody's business but Iranians. At the Indians crying over the life of criminals: please go and cry over the death of baby girls in your country or the lack of basic hygiene in your nation which result in disease and deaths. The few hundred rapists, criminals and killers in our country aren't worth your fake asss tears nor are any of your concern.

OP, there is something srsly wrong with you to be obsessed about a country you don't share anything with. You guys are on another planet in terms of geography and culture and yet you spend all day, every day, on this forum posting news about Iran, all negative. As I've told you before, an old man must enjoy his life before he kicks the bucket. Spending your days posting hateful messages about Iranians is the biggest waste of life I can think of lol

you still didn't answer my points.

Less barbaric than the electric chair and other methods used in the U.S.
How do you give death penalty in turkey? One rule for turks and another for iranians?
Or do you think Iranians are third rate people who deserve to have such barbaric way.

are you stupid or what ? we Iranians ourself want the capital punishment.
I was talking to him about his view about punishment. Not iranian view. :)
offtopic: Is it customary there to call others 'stupid' or 'idiot', those you dont agree with.

Back
Top Bottom