Status
Not open for further replies.

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello.

I have had this idea recently, so i just wanted to throw it out to you guys to get more input.

I want to start a debate initiative, right here on PDF. Its format will be different from normal threads. I would moderate the debates myself and they will only be conducted on important topics i.e global security etc through popular demand of the normal members or title holder's suggestions. There would be 2 teams with 3 penalists each picked by either member suggestion or moderation team/tts etc and they will be asked to bring counter arguments. It will be required for them to source and present arguments and counter arguments for or against the motion. It wouldn't matter what their personal views are...the debate format will focus on the ability of the panelists to research and bring relevant arguments. Since we have a load of PhDs and PhD/Postgraduate students on the board, we can make it work. Normal members will not be allowed to participate while the debate goes on, but they will be able to ask questions when the debate is closed.

Any more suggestions?

Hello.

I have had this idea recently, so i just wanted to throw it out to you guys to get more input.

I want to start a debate initiative, right here on PDF. Its format will be different from normal threads. I would moderate the debates myself and they will only be conducted on important topics i.e global security etc through popular demand of the normal members or title holder's suggestions. There would be 2 teams with 3 penalists each picked by either member suggestion or moderation team/tts etc and they will be asked to bring counter arguments. It will be required for them to source and present arguments and counter arguments for or against the motion. It wouldn't matter what their personal views are...the debate format will focus on the ability of the panelists to research and bring relevant arguments. Since we have a load of PhDs and PhD/Postgraduate students on the board, we can make it work. Normal members will not be allowed to participate while the debate goes on, but they will be able to ask questions when the debate is closed.

Any more suggestions?
That sounds interesting. This format will bring the real sides of some well educated members rather than their non serious and troll side, appending to the quality of PDF which has gone down compared to 3,4 yrs back. Point to ponder is the formation of the panel. Equal representation of sides in panel itself will be an encouraging start.

Best part of this format is we would be off with BS and rhetoric.

All right guys, shoot the ideas...we need to get this rolling.

It's an excellent idea, I would support it. The part about PhDs scared me though :eek:, that's way too high a level for an internet forum!

Normal members will not be allowed to participate while the debate goes on, but they will be able to ask questions when the debate is closed.
How do you plan on enforcing this, do you think you can get a system like in the seniors cafe where non-senior members can't post? Maybe a temporary promotion (to a rank created specifically for the debates) for the people who are participating so that non-participants can not post at all.

Otherwise, we can have weekly polls or so to choose the topic, then open a thread for it. People who want to participate should be able to give their names and moderators or TTAs should be able to select them. Sounds great to me.

All right guys, shoot the ideas...we need to get this rolling.
Damn. For a sec I read the last word ROLLING as TROLLING. :blink:

On Topic : Its OK to think bout the format and all but how do u propose to create the aura? Will the teams be uniform for every debate or dynamic teams subject to the topic? Explain more.

Damn. For a sec I read the last word ROLLING as TROLLING. :blink:

On Topic : Its OK to think bout the format and all but how do u propose to create the aura? Will the teams be uniform for every debate or dynamic teams subject to the topic? Explain more.

Diverse teams from different countries.

I'm looking forward to seeing an Indian and a Pakistani being asked to bring in arguments in favour of a topic. :D

Diverse teams from different countries.

I'm looking forward to seeing an Indian and a Pakistani being asked to bring in arguments in favour of a topic. :D
And I am looking forward to see what topic in the world exists for that to happen? :D

Hope only these 2 teams are allowed to post....... That is going to be the most important aspect of this debate.......Otherwise i find this idea an interesting one.....

Hope only these 2 teams are allowed to post....... That is going to be the most important aspect of this debate.......Otherwise i find this idea an interesting one.....
Exactly. I hope its possible to allow selected members from posting on a thread.

Yes...normal members will not be allowed to post till the debate is over.

The part about PhDs scared me though :eek:, that's way too high a level for an internet forum!

actually, the more college years one spends and the more degrees one collects, the more foolish and ignorant one becomes... so, i will be a spectator in this debate and will collect the mistakes of our phd members... :D

actually, the more college years one spends and the more degrees one collects, the more foolish and ignorant one becomes... so, i will be a spectator in this debate and will collect the mistakes of our phd members... :D
kehna-kya-chahate-ho-thumb.jpg

It's an excellent idea, I would support it. The part about PhDs scared me though :eek:, that's way too high a level for an internet forum!

How do you plan on enforcing this, do you think you can get a system like in the seniors cafe where non-senior members can't post? Maybe a temporary promotion (to a rank created specifically for the debates) for the people who are participating so that non-participants can not post at all.

Otherwise, we can have weekly polls or so to choose the topic, then open a thread for it. People who want to participate should be able to give their names and moderators or TTAs should be able to select them. Sounds great to me.
I despise the "Seniors" Cafe, it's not fair. I think it should be through invitation only, and not based on whether someone has a PhD or not. @Horus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom