What's new

Featured Project Azm: Pakistan's Ambitious Quest to Develop 5th Generation Military Technologies.

Thank you Sir. There is a key message in this post that everyone missed. PAF has been conducting studies for the past two years. Rather than a 'design' being finalized in two years, studies have been conducted. This is exactly the research based approach I want PAF to take. Collaboration is awesome as long as PAF gains core scientific insight, the ability to reproduce results locally, and then applies it towards quick, short, iterative goals that lead to a solution being inducted into the airforce and getting used by our personnel. Awesome. And looking forward to PAF working together with our Turkish brothers. This comment from the ACM resonates with a key recent comment from Turkey that said "We appreciate PAF's efforts towards indigenization".

I highly doubt the West will ever return your best and brightest minds. Merely studying in a uni gets you nothing. The real learning cones from working in a company like Raytheon and LM and for that you require security clearance. Depending on level of clearance, they may even look at things like how many times you went back to Pakistan.

Homeland security does an interview to make sure you are not associated with any foreign military and agency. This is part of the process for basic security clearances, different levels are more difficult to get.

PAF may join TFX or it's 5th gen may receive tech from it.
One is keep project Azam its Pak varient J31 according to @Rafi then TFX as well we can replace F16s with TFX along Azam.

I believe putting the flags of two nation into TF-X/PF-X is not a dream. Both side have very positive consideration to join into partnership.
I believe more partners involves with more numbers in production means lower price of jet.

JF-17 is the granddaddy of all the PAF homemade fighters to come.

This honour and being the killer of IAF, no one can take away from our little Iron Falcon Thunder.

Regarding, PAFs 5th generation fighter needs... it is going to be a thoroughly Eurasian solution. This in its own right is a strategic achievement!

Former Air Chief had said that PAF was looking at both the East and West for 5th Gen solutions... i.e. Turkey and China.. with Russia into the mix for strategic reasons.

However, the Best 5th Generation Sealth Aircraft of PAF is the Pak GDP growing at 7.5 to 8.5 for three decades non-stop. For this GoP would need a Project GDP AZM and Next Generation Finances.

So far it is debt redemption and contracting GDP impacting defence production.

Regardless, although going slower than desired.. the PAC/PAF are moving forward... I would love nothing more than an entire jet produced locally including engines even under licence....

J31 is still a testbed. F22 is the plane to copy. The shape is stealthy and agile. USA spent alot of RD money to develop this shape. It is better then F35. TFX, KFX, IFX look like scaled down F22s. AZM should be the same.
What does the J-31 looks-like if not the F-22?

J31 is still a testbed. F22 is the plane to copy. The shape is stealthy and agile. USA spent alot of RD money to develop this shape. It is better then F35. TFX, KFX, IFX look like scaled down F22s. AZM should be the same.
:disagree: Especially KFX/IFX is based on F-35 and as for your information KFX/IFX is same project, initially started by South Korea but later this project joined by Indonesia @CrazyZ :angel:

He talking about shape of both jets is quite similar @Pakistan Space Agency

PAF may join TFX or it's 5th gen may receive tech from it.

I didn't start a separate discussion in this regard for many reasons including that we don't have much to discuss or share except that for the time being TAI TF-X is Turkish project. Similarly, we had our discussion in regard to SAC FC-31 but at that time, we didn't have much about Project AZM.

So currently I am looking at three subjects for discussion, as if we go by developments...

1. PAC and SAC=FC-31
  2. PAC and TAI = TF-X
  3. PAC Project = AZM (in partnership)
The first & second option may turn out to be PAC AZM or anyone from 1 & 2 & a separate Project AZM.

All I am waiting for something concrete to initiate a new discussion in regard to TAI TF-X but as far as I read the comments; it may be saying that whatever TAI TF-X has on card/plan is pretty much what PAF wants. So that does not mean we are going into some partnership, at-least not yet, nor reveals that there is no consideration. So it could be possibility that we may adopt from TAI TF-X or invite collaboration.

What PAC says is that we can expect either our own AZM in line of TAI TF-X like jet or TAI TF-X plus AZM. As project AZM is ambitious plan with long term process; PAF may like to bring TAI TF-X till AZM matures. Not to forget that Turkey Pakistan possible collaboration, is not something like a dream. The offer is already there in fact Turkey invited Pakistan long ago and who knows how far we have been went in this journey. May be this tweet was a tiny drop to convey.

Not really. Intakes are different. F22 is definitely stealthier from the rear aspect. Easiest and fastest approach is to take the shape of f22 and scale it down for twin rd93 or chinese equivalent engine.

Why not.
Not really. Intakes are different. F22 is definitely stealthier from the rear aspect. Easiest and fastest approach is to take the shape of f22 and scale it down for twin rd93 or chinese equivalent engine.

5517312749_e3c71c285c_o%20%281%29.jpg

2TyO3.jpg

Different Intakes and cockpit bubble shapes.

32233421265_2c903c8627_o.jpg

5bb7781f98a1805c82279149-750-463.jpg

F-22 is stealthier from the rear aspect. Americans spent a lot of money developing the a very stealthy agile air frame. It is the air frame to copy for a stealth fighter platform.

5517312749_e3c71c285c_o%20%281%29.jpg

2TyO3.jpg

Different Intakes and cockpit bubble shapes.

32233421265_2c903c8627_o.jpg

5bb7781f98a1805c82279149-750-463.jpg

F-22 is stealthier from the rear aspect. Americans spent a lot of money developing the a very stealthy agile air frame. It is the air frame to copy for a stealth fighter platform.
If you called a copy for FC-31 then i have to say sorry to you, the weakest Part of China aerospace sector is definitely engine development and they are working on that to achieve rear aspect stealth and remember bro USA has vast experience for designing/development of fighter jets that china is currently lacking @CrazyZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the recent defense cut impact the AZM project?
There's a misconception about the supposed defence cut. ISPR stated that there wontw be any increment in the defence budget for next fiscal year and all the officers of armed forces will not get any pay raise for upcoming fiscal year. I don't see this impacting project Azm in any way.

There's a misconception about the supposed defence cut. ISPR stated that there wontw be any increment in the defence budget for next fiscal year and all the officers of armed forces will not get any pay raise for upcoming fiscal year. I don't see this impacting project Azm in any way.

Thanks! Looks like I've been mislead by crappy news stories.

Copy of shaping does not guarantee meaningful results, and neither it is possible from photos. Lot of minute structure-related details are not apparent in the photos, mind you. Types of materials in use, types of bolts in use, zigzag touches, platform alignments, quality of RAM coating, engine-related considerations and making the structure unstable - herculean challenges on the whole to overcome. This is why Chinese and Russian jets have a much different look, and Russian Su-57 is not VLO, even J-20 is not VLO, and J-31 is in prototyping stage (nothing substantial) although China is doing its best. Additional projects are in drawing boards or mere RC toys.

Engine of F-35 is also different from that of F-22A Raptor - difference in the rear section is compensated in different ways.

F-35 Block 3f have uniform RCS of only 3.8 mm - the size of a bee.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom