What's new

Press TV muslim anchor arrested in the US on unspecified charges

I like to know why the FBI arrested her. By law FBI has to tell her what is she charged for

The charges will be made public soon and she will have her day in court under prescribed due process.

The FBI can do whatever they want if the suspect is a Muslim albeit a US citizen. Being Muslim means all your constitutional rights are forfeit.

Constitutional rights apply to ALL citizens and residents without any regards to any religion.

Isn't it funny the 'restart' morons cry about Iran arresting Nazanin etc, but support this! :laugh:

it will be interesting to see what her charges are, if the case becomes mainstream i think they will be pressured to release her.

but i don't believe the reports she was only fed pork lol, i read they just did not give her halal meals so she chose to only eat bread. the hejab being ripped off is probably not true either, she was probably forced to remove it once arrested for identification purposes, that is fine by me.

Maybe someone should refresh the memory of people around here on what the US routinely does to people at gitmo and what they did to mostly innocent people at Abu Ghraib.

What happened at Abu Gharib was humiliating ? it was less painful and less bloody than what Shia militiamen did to the prisoners

yeah but you are just a private citizen. Try doin that on the air.......lol.....they'd be on you like flies on shit!

I bashed the US government for the Iraq war in 2003. no one cared about what i said
:(:(:(

And people wonder why a wall is a bad idea. Amerika is a 'prison nation', if questioning the mafia klan in Washington gets you kidnapped by the FBI, there are millions questioning the criminality of the Washington regime in Amerika. A wall means they cannot flee to the mountains and escape to Mexico.

The wall's goal is not to keep the Mexicans out, that is the cover, the wall is to jail everyone in.

To the north to Canada means possible passage to freedom, but with the Canadians arresting Chinese citizens, you are not safe there, you were safer fleeing to Mexico. Amerika will turn into a FEMA camp, gun rights stand in the way of that.

Chinese and Asians better see the writing on the wall and get out of hell. Go back to China. Pull out all investments from the neo-nazi regime of Amerika.

She is an African-American:

Born
Melanie Franklin

December 21, 1959 (age 59)
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268425

She has an American passport.

but i don't believe the reports she was only fed pork lol, i read they just did not give her halal meals so she chose to only eat bread. the hejab being ripped off is probably not true either, she was probably forced to remove it once arrested for identification purposes, that is fine by me

All common these days. Prison abuse and rape by guards is also not unheard of.

Low-paid, heavily indoctrinated prison guards take their aggression out on minority prisoners.

She has not been charged with crime, she has been imprisoned as a witness!

That's right, U.S laws allows it's government to detain and torture journalists for as long as they want, they just need to label the victim as Material witness.

The following article from a Zionist reveals it all:
--------------------------
Justice Department Arrests News Anchor, Calls PressTV “Propaganda Outlet,” Demands it Register as Foreign Agent
January 18, 2019 by Richard Silverstein

Marzieh Hashemi, PressTV’s new martyr, c/o the U.S. Department of Justice

Last week, PressTV news anchor, Marizeh Hashemi flew from Iran to visit her U.S. family in St Louis. When she arrived at the airport, instead of meeting son and grandchildren, FBI agents arrested her, took her to another plane, flew her to Washington DC and put her in prison.

Hashemi, who is a U.S. citizen, was manhandled by prison authorities, who forcibly removed her hijab and would only offer her pork to eat, despite her being a devout Muslim. Since then, she has subsisted, according to what she told her daughter, on a box of crackers.

News reports say she was only allowed to speak once to her daughter, two days after she was imprisoned. She has appeared in federal court twice and is represented by a federal public defender. Today is her sixth day of imprisonment.

Initially, the government refused even to say what the charges were against Hashemi. But later they revealed she was being charged as a material witness. DOJ refused to reveal anything about the case in which it wanted her to testify. The statute is a rarely invoked law meant as a last resort if the government believes a potential witness is a flight risk whom they believe might not appear in court.

It has been used only once against a U.S. citizen in a case brought by the Bush administration against a man who the government sought to testify in a terrorism case. In that case, the defendant was eventually acquitted and the citizen charged as a material witness was never charged with a crime or called to testify. He later sued the U.S. attorney general and the case went to the Supreme Court where it eventually ruled against the man, claiming that the AG was not responsible for the errors of his subordinates.

But Hashemi’s case is even more disturbing because she is a journalist and the First Amendment guarantees freedom of the press and offers protection to reporters. Nor does the constitution offer these protections only to U.S.-based journalists. They are offered to U.S. citizens who are journalists wherever they may practice their profession. So the fact that a U.S. citizen who is also a journalist has been mistreated in this fashion is doubly disturbing.

The Committee to Protect Journalists released a strong statement condemning the Trump Justice Department behavior:

“We are concerned by the arrest of a journalist for Iranian state TV, Marzieh Hashemi, and call on the U.S. Department of Justice to immediately disclose the basis for her detention for the past five days,” said Alexandra Ellerbeck, CPJ’s North America program coordinator.

The ACLU’s Human Rights Program director, Jamil Dakwar tweeted:

I e-mailed the FBI with a series of questions about Hashemi’s case and was met with a resounding “no comment.” The next day the Justice Department emailed me an unsealed document saying that while Hashemi was not charged with a crime, she was a material witness who would be asked to testify and then released. What the statement left out was that the government could delay the case almost indefinitely, and only bring her to testify at its end. Meaning that unless her defense demands that she be released and secures a judge’s agreement, she could remain in prison for a year and a half or even two years. Keep in mind that this is a grandmother who is 59 years old.

Today, Reuters quoted a “government source” revealing slightly more about this exceedingly murky case:

A U.S. government source told Reuters it appeared that the grand jury was examining whether Press TV is a propaganda outlet that failed to register with the Justice Department as an agent of a foreign government.

If we unpack this bizarre statement, it appears DOJ is going to claim that PressTV is not a media outlet and therefore does not deserve the protections afforded such organizations. As a “propaganda outlet” it would be a mere extension of the Iranian government. And since the U.S. is currently an adversary of Iran, the news organization should be treated as a hostile entity.

Hashemi regularly returns to the U.S. both to visit her family and produce documentary segments which air on PressTV when she returns home to work. In fact, during this trip she visited her birthplace, New Orleans and filmed a Black Lives Matter protest. I suppose the government could argue that given Iran is a hostile entity that what the Iranian-American was doing was only slightly less provocative than an Iranian intelligence agent filming American sites.

In this way, DOJ transforms Hashemi from a legitimate Iranian-American journalist into a dangerous agent of a hostile foreign entity.

It’s worth nothing that over the past year, the Trump administration warned the Russian government news outlets RT and Sputnik that they must register as foreign agents as well. But while the demand was provocative and unwarranted, at least it gave the organizations time to comply with the demand. It didn’t make its demands known by arresting the network’s most prominent news anchor and throwing him into prison.

There will be an unintended consequence of the government’s over-zealous and hasty legal strategy: it will draw international attention to PressTV. It will turn Hashemi into a martyr. It will drive the world even farther from the U.S. position against Iran. Before this PressTV was at best a minor thorn in the side of U.S. policy. It was a minor provocation. But now, the Iranian TV network has been offered a megaphone to amplify its views. People who’d never heard of it will want to know and hear what it has to say. As a regular interview subject, I welcome the increased attention. I just wish it didn’t come at this woman’s expense.

Not to mention that if we begin determining that foreign news organizations with reporters here are not journalist and are subject to criminal prosecution, other nations may start treating our own journalists the same way. Be prepared for a CNN or Voice of America news anchor to be unceremoniously thrown in jail in some far-off country as Egypt has done with Al Jazeera journalists and Myanmar has done with Reuters reporters. We are not immune. We only think we are because we presume we are too powerful to be treated so shabbily by our inferiors.

Compare PressTV’s treatment to the accommodations offered to the Israel Lobby here. Israel’s agents, diplomats and ministers are treated royally. Prime ministers routinely address joint houses of Congress. Israel intelligence assets are treated with kid gloves by the Justice Department even when they’re stealing government secrets. No pro-Israel group, even those supported financially by the Israeli government has ever been asked to register as a foreign agent.

Further evidence of the utter hypocrisy of the DOJ’s position in this case is that Donald Trump has publicly admitted that he approached a Russian bank to finance his proposed Moscow tower project. That financial institution, VT Bank, was listed as one of the sanctioned Russian companies by the U.S. government. In other words, Donald Trump, while he was running for president, pursued negotiations with a business no American citizen should touch with a ten foot pole. Doing such business was illegal and he could have been punished severely. Yet he faced no consequences and is unlikely he would have had he consummated the deal.

Yet, a poor grandmother who’s done nothing more than perform her job as a journalist gets thrown in prison because she happens to work for a media entity the U.S. government has declared persona non grata. And what benefits did she earn from this? Anything like the $300-million Trump stood to earn in profits from his Moscow Trump tower? Hardly.

She is currently represented by a federal public defender. This is a complex national security case involving criminal charges. Hashemi needs a skilled defense lawyer, not a public defender. I hope she gets the representation she needs and deserves. Further, her children have also been subpoenaed to testify. Keep in mind that there is parent-child privilege. So what possibly could the government expect children to say about or against their mother? The thought of this legal charade criminalizing both a parent and her children is outrageous. It is an only slightly different version of the Trump administration’s policy of separating immigrant families in order to create trauma and deter them from migrating to the U.S.

Even worse, her children have told the press that they can no longer makes any public statements on behalf of their mother. They said they have received a gag order. If this is true, the only possible way the government could do this is by obtaining a national security letter, a secret document which compels the subject to remain silent about the letter and its content.

In normal circumstances, anyone subpoenaed to testify before a grand jury may speak freely before or after the hearing. The other matter on which they must remain silent is the content of the grand jury testimony itself.

I am a regular guest on PressTV and have been interviewed a number of times by Hashemi. I do not know her personally and have no contact with her besides these interviews. I can say that she is a journalist no different from any U.S. TV news anchor, and our government would never treat Brian Williams or Rachel Maddow as it is treating Hashemi.

I fear that the Iranian journalist may be a pawn in a larger game played by U.S. and Iranian authorities. She may serve as an example for the Trump administration to show it’s cracking down on Iran, as hostilities increase between the two countries.

There are two Iranian-American citizens being held in Evin Prison under flimsy charges. The Obama administration did a prisoner exchange under which we freed several Americans detained there in return for Iranians detained here. But Siamak Namazi and his son were not among those included in this exchange. It’s entirely possible that the Trump administration is holding Hashemi hostage in return for the release of the Namazis. Her status as a well-known Iranian TV personality gives her even more cache as a bargaining chip in such a negotiation.

The other possibility is that as an American who works for the Iranian government, the Justice Department may seek to punish her for violating U.S. sanctions. But given the current set of charges, it doesn’t seem like that is the direction it is taking in prosecuting her.

I urge human rights NGOs who’ve not released statements on this case to do so. I urge those which have released fairly tepid statements expressing no more than “concern” for Hashemi to begin questioning the premise of the U.S. case against her and demand that DOJ answer substantive questions about its strategy, goals and behavior in this matter. We’ve seen the Bush Justice Department make a mockery of the constitution after 9/11. We’ve seen the Trump administration do even worse. Let’s not permit further infringement of individual rights by this horrid administration.

Let's wait for the charges to be made public. Due process must be followed.

So she was detained as a material witness in a criminal case after trying to avoid testimony. She was presented before a Grand Jury in that case and was released once that was complete, in accordance with fair and due process. No details of the criminal case are being released for now due to being under grand jury proceedings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom