What's new

President Xi urges support for vocational education

However, proficiency in English provides the basis for overseas professions for many Chinese.

It depends on who need it. In high school, most students can master at least 5000 common English words, it's enough to communicate. If you want a higher degree of professional experience oversea, you can choose to get more Enligh training in professional education agency.

However, proficiency in English provides the basis for overseas professions for many Chinese.

I think language profficency (especially basci profficiency) is alright so long as there is genuine need. What most people object is a one-size-fits-all approach. Sort shoving English language into each and every student's brain, regardless of their interest, future plans and capabilities.

So maybe it is better to start with a sound national language education and offer foreign language much later when the student is able to develop certain interests and capabilities. Language has never been hard to learn so long as there is need and desire. No need to start pushing kids as early as cram school age.

I am averse to the idea maybe because I am sensitive toward cultural imperialism.

It depends on who need it. In high school, most students can master at least 5000 common English words, it's enough to communicate. If you want a higher degree of professional experience oversea, you can choose to get more Enligh training in professional education agency.

I do agree with your point, but I will also add that since more and more western and foreign investors are doing businesses in China, and have established an overseas expansion into the Chinese market, it will be beneficial for many Chinese college graduates to have a full mastery of the English language so they can find job employments in foreign-owned businesses in China. In this case, many of the tactical managers that run these overseas production facilities are foreigners and communicate with the operational managers / supervisors in the English language. For example, the new INFINITI manufacturing site that Japan will be opening in Dalian is hiring Chinese mechanical and automotive as well as Industrial engineers to fill its ranks, and the modicum of communication will be , of course, English. Now, do you think the Japanese tactical and strategic managers will hire: 1) the Chinese engineer who has mastery / high proficiency of the English language in conjunction with a strong engineering background or 2) the Chinese engineer who has low to medium proficiency of the English language , but a strong engineering background? They will select Choice #1. As China rises in global trade , it will only necessitate the mastery of the English language for Chinese technocrats.

In addition, it is rather obvious that the quality of technical education in China is questionable. The Xi administration would do well to further invest in improving the quality of education, which , in turn, will directly improve the quality and efficiency of the product: The Students !

Last edited:
I do agree with your point, but I will also add that since more and more western and foreign investors are doing businesses in China, and have established an overseas expansion into the Chinese market, it will be beneficial for many Chinese college graduates to have a full mastery of the English language so they can find job employments in foreign-owned businesses in China. In this case, many of the tactical managers that run these overseas production facilities are foreigners and communicate with the operational managers / supervisors in the English language. For example, the new INFINITI manufacturing site that Japan will be opening in Dalian is hiring Chinese mechanical and automotive as well as Industrial engineers to fill its ranks, and the modicum of communication will be , of course, English. Now, do you think the Japanese tactical and strategic managers will hire: 1) the Chinese engineer who has mastery / high proficiency of the English language in conjunction with a strong engineering background or 2) the Chinese engineer who has low to medium proficiency of the English language , but a strong engineering background? They will select Choice #1. As China rises in global trade , it will only necessitate the mastery of the English language for Chinese technocrats.

In addition, it is rather obvious that the quality of trechnical education in China is questionable. The Xi administration would do well to further invest in improving the quality of education, which , in turn, will directly improve the quality and efficiency of the product: The Students !

Of course, a proficiency in English will help when Chinese graduate apply for foreign companies in China, which only account for a rather small portion of employers in China market, most employers are China domestic based companies. Just saying English is over stressed in China, several years ago, college students even need to pass College English Test level 4 when at college, if not, they won't receive diploma, this is ridiculous, now rules changing. But I do agree with you with China's global trade surging, more Chinese companies doing business overseas, like the Japanese did. China will learn from US, Japan and Germany about the education reform, student is the core competitiveness in the future.

Of course, a proficiency in English will help when Chinese graduate apply for foreign companies in China, which only account for a rather small portion of employers in China market, most employers are China domestic based companies. Just saying English is over stressed in China, several years ago, college students even need to pass College English Test level 4 when at college, if not, they won't receive diploma, this is ridiculous, now rules changing. But I do agree with you with China's global trade surging, more Chinese companies doing business overseas, like the Japanese did. China will learn from US, Japan and Germany about the education reform, student is the core competitiveness in the future.

Thanks for the input. Its a necessity for China, namely English remains the international language that most of us communicate in. I mean, let's take this forum for an example; You (Chinese) and I (Japanese) are talking and discussing with other nationalities in not Kanji (hanzi) , but in what? English alphabets.

The more Chinese students master English, the greater they will have a competitive edge. Definitely.

Back
Top Bottom