What's new

President approves Sharia laws

"Anyone still want a holiday in Swat?"

Bummer. Trout fishing looks good up there but, no way. My noggin ain't safe in those hills. AND they'll take my fly rod. Guilty of having too much fun.

They'll chop ol' S-2's head clean off. Whack.:agree:

Sighting dead bodies of innocent kids and women left by US air attacks that won’t be a bad revenge. After all Americans were as mad and out of sense after 9/11 and same human being live here too.

"Anyone still want a holiday in Swat?"

Bummer. Trout fishing looks good up there but, no way. My noggin ain't safe in those hills. AND they'll take my fly rod. Guilty of having too much fun.

They'll chop ol' S-2's head clean off. Whack.:agree:

I will take you with me dont be afraid ,you can do fishing but no more fishy fishy:lol:

Shariah courts deal with family cases and criminal cases , our civil courts failed to provide fair and free justice .

If this is sucessful then other part of pakistan shariah law can be implemented it is in benefit of poor people , cant afford present expensive and unfair justic system .:enjoy:

Yes that is so lets wait and see if it works.

On the other hand Fazlullah and his men from Baitullah group can not be trusted and it sounds like they are going to breach the accord which means a good chance to continue millitary operation against militants using TNSM with whome the accord is signed by government.

Shariah courts deal with family cases and criminal cases , our civil courts failed to provide fair and free justice .

If this is sucessful then other part of pakistan shariah law can be implemented it is in benefit of poor people , cant afford present expensive and unfair justic system .:enjoy:

Federal Shariat Courts are available in all the provinces - my family has got a +ve ruling from the FSC as compared to the Civil Courts. it was a land issue. the Civil Court kept on delaying for 12 years. FSC gave its decision in 1 year! but such cases are few and far!

Pakistan already has a dual system.

What do you think the Federal Shariah Court and teh Council on Islamic Ideology represent?

Add to that every government and leader, from Musahrraf to Nawaz, has proclaimed that whatever law they are passing and whatever laws the constitution has on the books, are "in complete accordance with Shariah and Islam".

The CII routinely issues opinions on which laws are against Islamic injuctions, and surprisingly, has argued in favor of womens and minority rights far more than our so called 'moderate and progressive' parties.

Remember the case on the rights of divorce for women that the CII issued its opinion on a few months ago - an opinion that would have drastically shifted the rights in that issue to a more even keel for women and men - it was the 'secular' PPP legislators that went so far as to criticize the CII bench as not being 'complete enough' to issue such a ruling.

Quite frankly, we already operate on two systems, and by putting relatively educated Islamic scholars in institutions such as the CII and FSC, we have laid teh foundations of a moderate Islamic school of thought. Strengthening the hands of these moderate and progressive Islamic institutions might be an issue worth thinking about.

Federal Shariat Courts are available in all the provinces - my family has got a +ve ruling from the FSC as compared to the Civil Courts. it was a land issue. the Civil Court kept on delaying for 12 years. FSC gave its decision in 1 year! but such cases are few and far!

Courts under Sharia Law will be like FSC in Swat. Only if in the past we had used our brain and set up FSC the mess might had been less.

^I think the delays have to do with the structure of the system. Sharia laws are based on a code, whereas the civil courts rely on common law - which requires long drawn procedures based on precedents.

Warraich - if this was just about Sufi Mohammed I might be more optimistic.

The main issue is not Sufi however, it is his Son-in-Law Mullah Falullah and the three thousand men and their commanders operating under his organization, including many experienced foreign extremist 'mercenaries' from Central Asia and Afghanistan.

These people have issued FATWa's in Swat very similar to those of the Afghan Taliban - destroying girls schools, and only allowing education for girls up to the fourth grade. They have also tried enforcing edicts like compulsory beards and prayers etc.

I am therefore not very optimistic about the success of this deal, becasue I see the Taliban starting their violence again on these issues, and I do not see how the GoP can agree to not allow education for women and show its face to the world.

AM,

Majority of SAWT and MARDAN tribes supporting sufi muhammad basically follow the teaching of tablegee jamat , i know tableege jamat very well they dont promot violance and they condemed Mulla Omer for his wrong steps in Afghanistan and also stopped sending jamats in Afghanistan.

So dont worry , hope fully they will not close schools .

Its call of provincial Gov. if people wanted it than its good step :tup:

AM,

Majority of SAWT and MARDAN tribes supporting sufi muhammad basically follow the teaching of tablegee jamat , i know tableege jamat very well they dont promot violance and they condemed Mulla Omer for his wrong steps in Afghanistan and also stopped sending jamats in Afghanistan.

So dont worry , hope fully they will not close schools .

Warracih,

You don't understand. The tablighi jammat and Sufi Mohamed are not the ones controlling the militants, they are not the ones fighting the Army.

The militants led by Mullah FM are the ones doing that and they have already declared their 'vision' by destroying close to 200 schools in Swat.

What do you think Sufi Mohamed is going to talk to the militants about? Convince them to lay down arms - that itself is an indication that he may have no control over them. If he can pull this off, without sacrificing moderate and progressive Islamic ideals, then good for him and good for Swat and Pakistan - I just have my doubts that he will succeed, given the declared vision of the TTP-S and their actions in Swat.

And in other news, even the Saudis appear to be moving away from the fanatical nutjobs who have been running the place for so long -

Saudi king’s govt shakeup hailed as ‘bold’

Monday, February 16, 2009
RIYADH: Saudis on Sunday cheered King Abdullah’s sweeping government shakeup as a bold step forward, a day after he sacked two powerful conservative religious figures and named the country’s first-ever woman minister.

‘Bold reform,’ Al-Hayat newspaper said in its headline, while the Saudi Gazette heralded the shakeup as a ‘boost for reform’ in the Muslim kingdom.

‘Everything is fantastic. This is what we have been fighting for,’ said Ibrahim Mugaiteeb, leader of the Human Rights First Society, who has done battle with successive governments over rights violations.

On Saturday, Abdullah announced the first major government shakeup since he became king in August 2005, naming four new ministers, changing a number of top judiciary chiefs and shaking up the Ulema Council, the leading clerics whose interpretations of Islamic rules underpin daily life in the kingdom.

The king also named 79 new members to the consultative Shura Council, Al-Hayat said.

In major changes that appeared to target the ultra-conservative clerics who have dominated the judiciary, he replaced Supreme Judicial Council head Sheikh Saleh al-Luhaidan, who Saudi activists say had blocked reforms for years.

And he replaced the head of the Muttawa religious police, Sheikh Ibrahim al-Ghaith, who had led an aggressive campaign in the media for a strict enforcement of Islamic mores, challenging other more liberal figures in the government.

‘The Saudi government reshuffle announced yesterday is not just a changing of the guard,’ the Arab News said in its editorial. ‘It is a clear sign of a major transformation in the kingdom.’

Few were ready to predict just what changes on the ground could come from the king’s moves.

Battles over public morality and women in senior jobs have been brewing for years, and the challenges to the Islamic conservatives have grown in recent months.

Women’s groups have demanded more rights and the breaking down of barriers that limit their career opportunities; the public has clamoured for movies to be shown in cinemas, banned for 30 years; and rights groups have accused Islamic judges of harsh and inconsistent judgements.

And last week Princess Amira al-Taweel, the wife of Saudi tycoon Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, complained publicly that while she can drive anywhere else in the world, she cannot take the wheel of a car in her own country, because women are banned from driving.

But the symbolism of the king’s changes is bound to have an impact. The most symbolic was the naming of veteran educationalist Norah al-Fayez as deputy education minister for women — the most senior job ever granted a woman in the Muslim kingdom.

‘She is one of the leading ladies of the country,’ Mohammad al-Zulfa, outgoing member of the Shura Council, told AFP. Even so, the move for women did not go as far as some expected. In January, Saudi media had reported that the new members of the Shura Council would include six women, who have not been represented on the council in the past.

Saudi king’s govt shakeup hailed as ‘bold’

Lets hope we don't end up regressing.

Ah. The irony. The Saudis prosecute terrorists wanted by America, while Pakistan shields them.

Ah. The irony. The Saudis prosecute terrorists wanted by America, while Pakistan shields them.

And some woudl argue that Saudis fund them through religious charities ...

Who knows, those policies might change as well ...

Stop jumping to conclusions, only time will tell how things work out.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom