What's new

Preparations on for super-sonic BrahMos testfiring

Almost each and every major city of pakistan comes under Brahmos range.

If it came to missile war then Pakistan will retaliate with missiles......And our cruise missiles are not limited to conventional warheads....:flame::flame:

The Distance between Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir,India) and Peshawar (North-West Frontier,Pakistan) is : 298.92 kilometers (km).
???????????????????????????????????

HA :azn: don't worry,300kg nuclear warhead can be reduced to 200Kg and brahmos can cover upto 400Kms...
do u think MTCR will object in times of war...
if anyone think so then he would be the biggest retard in the world

HA :azn: don't worry,300kg nuclear warhead can be reduced to 200Kg and brahmos can cover upto 400Kms...
do u think MTCR will object in times of war...
if anyone think so then he would be the biggest retard in the world

Why can't we discuss on topic? Why every development has to be looked as anti someone and make every thread a di?? measuring contest.

If it came to missile war then Pakistan will retaliate with missiles......And our cruise missiles are not limited to conventional warheads....:flame::flame:
But ur cruze missile will be intercepted and destroyed in mid air...with the help of AWACS and su-30MKI....cause ur cruze missile speed is 0.9Mach...:flame::flame::flame:

Our options are broadly two.
Either get out of JV for Brahmos or develop another project for long range.

For option 1 I am not sure if we can still get away with MTCR. I am pretty sure those guys might have thought of various way MTCR can be misused. The same applies anything else proposed on these lines.

Option 2 move the scientist working on Brahmos to that another project (Shaurya) and then develop that as long range. I think this or something similar might already being happening. These JV's just do not have only stated objectives I guess.

We will make it there for sure, given that we are doing a lot in R&D space and has tonnes of funds as against the past. Just wait for 2015 and we will be talking about India in a different level altogether.

You are spot on with option two. Even though afaik the Shaurya is quite a differant beast altogether than brahmos, one cannot deny the possibility that some tech cross over might have happened.
( Though unrelated here, both these missiles will share Ring Laser Gyro which is developed by DRDO)

About the range of brahmos; following are some interesting possibilities.

---Russian Club AShM supposedly uses software to limit the range of the missile. I don't know if same is the case with brahmos. If yes, then we have a difficult ;) task of reprogramming to extend the range!

---Another interesting point is whether the range quoted includes the manuvers that the missile carries out both in early and late phase? If yes, then the missile will fly longer in a straight line (no zig zag stuff!)......The range increases.

---Also we can increase the range reducing the 300kg payload.( given no software limitation is involved)

---And the final possibility, that we do not know the actual range of brahmos. It will be unleashed only in wartime! Chances are thin; but possible none the less.

Last edited:
You are spot on with option two. Even though afaik the Shaurya is quite a differant beast altogether than brahmos, one cannot deny the possibility that some tech cross over might have happened.
( Though unrelated here, both these missiles will share Ring Laser Gyro which is developed by DRDO)

About the range of brahmos; following are some interesting possibilities.

---Russian Club AShM supposedly uses software to limit the range of the missile. I don't know if same is the case with brahmos. If yes, then we have a difficult ;) task of reprogramming to extend the range!

Yes Brahmos is limited in rage by software controls and not by the fuel limitation .i.e in other words -- some of the unused fuel is used up as sort of explosive mix along with 300kg payload- It gives the missile a bit more impact considering the kinetic energy it has.

---Another interesting point is whether the range quoted includes the manuvers that the missile carries out both in early and late phase? If yes, then the missile will fly longer in a straight line (no zig zag stuff!)......The range increases.

All the maneuvers (going horizontal after ligt , steep dive , terminal avoidance, etc) are included in 290 KM range. Remember it is software controlled -- the moment it hits the number -- Brahmos would try to home in on the target available.

---Also we can increase the range reducing the 300kg payload.( given no software limitation is involved)

No MTCR guys are not morons :no: .. many of them are scientists in their own fields -- they know the loopholes. anyways its software controlled - -the point is moot.

---And the final possibility, that we do not know the actual range of brahmos. It will be unleashed only in wartime! Chances are thin; but possible none the less.

That is quite possible !! There are no checks in the war time -- and everything is forgiven if you are the defendant or if you have rightful reason to go to war. We saw a recent case where French forgave and impossed no penalties on India for having modified Mirages to carry some stuff. If French can do this then pretty much Russia being a all weather friend can give in to this request.

DRDO has been able to create Shaurya which matches Brahmos in aerodynamic efficiency. But the key thing here is seeker . Till we dont have the capability to build our own seeker, we will always be handicapped. Hope the Indo-Israeli JV will be able to crack this enigma.

DRDO has been able to create Shaurya which matches Brahmos in aerodynamic efficiency. But the key thing here is seeker . Till we dont have the capability to build our own seeker, we will always be handicapped. Hope the Indo-Israeli JV will be able to crack this enigma.

Not just seeker, but the ramjet engine too. We don't have ramjet engine tech.

Yes Brahmos is limited in rage by software controls and not by the fuel limitation .i.e in other words -- some of the unused fuel is used up as sort of explosive mix along with 300kg payload- It gives the missile a bit more impact considering the kinetic energy it has.

All the maneuvers (going horizontal after ligt , steep dive , terminal avoidance, etc) are included in 290 KM range. Remember it is software controlled -- the moment it hits the number -- Brahmos would try to home in on the target available.

OK! If this is true, then I can safely say that if India feels the need to increase the range of brahmos, it will be done! :)
( Especially, because we are partnering with the russians here)

No MTCR guys are not morons :no: .. many of them are scientists in their own fields -- they know the loopholes. anyways its software controlled - -the point is moot.

Never said or assumed that they were morons!:no: I'm aware of the payload:range ratio specifications in MTCR. I was just mentioning probabilities and that was the least probable one.:cheers:
Also please note that I've mentioned the software limitation.

That is quite possible !! There are no checks in the war time -- and everything is forgiven if you are the defendant or if you have rightful reason to go to war. We saw a recent case where French forgave and impossed no penalties on India for having modified Mirages to carry some stuff. If French can do this then pretty much Russia being a all weather friend can give in to this request.

some very good points in this post.

1.That is quite possible !! There are no checks in the war time -- and everything is forgiven if you are the defendant or if you have rightful reason to go to war.

---Also if you are the victor!:azn:

2.DRDO has been able to create Shaurya which matches Brahmos in aerodynamic efficiency.

---Ahh, shaurya! That is a mystery worthy of sherlock holmes!

3.but the key thing here is seeker . Till we dont have the capability to build our own seeker, we will always be handicapped. Hope the Indo-Israeli JV will be able to crack this enigma.

--- Seeker indeed is the achilles heel for indian missiles ( problems begin with the tiny Nag (IIR and mmw seekers) and extends all the way to Heavies like shaurya. For what it's worth, the INS on shaurya is said to be pretty good!

Being a thrust area for DRDO, seeker tech in India will see a revolution(hopefully). For us, it will be somethin like winning a test series in India was for aussies!

But ur cruze missile will be intercepted and destroyed in mid air...with the help of AWACS and su-30MKI....cause ur cruze missile speed is 0.9Mach...:flame::flame::flame:

Your definition of an excellent cruise missile is its speed :rofl:; what about the seeker, RCS, guidance and terrain hugging capabilities. Well forget that, you appear to be a very knowledgable person so i will take your word and accept that Brahmos is the best missile in the world. It appears that the Indians have outclassed the Americans by developing the Super Brahmos Missile, after all speed is the only thing that matters RIGHT :D.

Back to the topic, Congratulations to my Indian friends. Soo many Brahmos variants, impossible to remember their designations and features :D.

BrahMos cruise missile achieves supersonic dive​

jdqo7Ridbbc.jpg

Balasore: In a first in the military world, the BrahMos cruise missile being jointly developed by India and Russia achieved a supersonic dive after being fired from a defence base in Orissa as part of the trials to fine-tune its capabilities, an official said.

'The missile flew in the designated complex trajectory conducting large manoeuvres and steep dive. This is the first time in the world that a supersonic dive has been realised by a cruise missile,' said BrahMos Aerospace spokesperson Praveen Pathak.

The Indian armed forces termed it a 'perfectly precise flight', he added.

The 290-km range BrahMos missile, which can travel 2.8 times the speed of sound, was tested for the army from the Integrated Test Range of Chandipur in here, some 230 km from Orissa capial Bhubaneswar, director of the test range S P Dash said.

'The launch met all mission requirements. It was a 100 percent fantastic launch,' Dash said.

Defence Minister A K Antony congratulated the armed forces and the defence scientists associated with the project for the 'success'.

The launch was conducted in the presence of Director General of Artillery Lt Gen Vinod Nayanar, BrahMos Aerospace CEO and MD A S Pillai, scientists from the Defence Research and Developments Organisation, industry representatives and officers from different units of the army.

The sophisticated cruise missile has already been inducted into the Indian army and the navy. The Block-II version capabilities to hit precisely a small target in a cluster of larger targets were demonstrated from Pokhran recently.

'This new capability has made it even more lethal,' Pathak said in a statement.

The BrahMos missile is a two-stage vehicle that has a solid propellant booster and a liquid propellant ramjet system. It can carry conventional warheads up to 300 kg for a range of 290 km.

The cruise missile is capable of being launched from multiple platforms based on land, ships, submarines and aircraft, and currently the focus in on for the development of its air-launched and submarine-launched versions.

India and Russia are jointly designing the BrahMos missile, named after the Brahmaputra (India) and Moskva (Russia) rivers.

A regiment of the BrahMos-I variant, consisting of 67 missiles, five mobile autonomous launchers on 12x12 Tatra vehicles and two mobile command posts, among other equipment, is already operational with the army.

BrahMos cruise missile achieves supersonic dive

:man_in_love::man_in_love::man_in_love:

^^ Why are they testing/developing steep dive ? The only reason that comes to my mind is --

1) To develop a top down attack approach. It will be far more better to attack targets in a clustered environment if you are adopting a top down instead of side attack approach. I am not sure how missiles Tomhawk or Babur does this ?

But that being said -- it again validates what i have been feeling -- and as GK said -- lot of proactiveness going on -- i wont be surprised if they keep on adding some developmental tech every year or so..

Back
Top Bottom