What's new

PPP govt added 1708 megawatts to national grid: Gilani

I think they did add 1708MW but IPPs are way to expensive for our poor public. Well i hope we will have cheaper electricity after the installation of Hyder and coal power projects already under construction

As i say they didn't

Just fooling people because in major cities the loadshedding time has gone down. I left Pakistan for my Uni like two months ago so don't know the current scene.

But the Hydro power came up as snow melted.

Very few thermal projects of the IPP have begun, most of them are not even fully commissioned yet. My dad was project executive on one of them so i guess he would know.

Rental are still being hooked up.

1700 MW is a lot of power.

It means the load shedding all over Pakistan must have come down by at least 50 %. Meaning no more 6 hour load shedding. Is that true? Can anyone confirm? (I am no longer home)

Zaki : Let us dig into the folder and see what projects have started operating since March '08. I'm not talking about who commissioned them, just how much has been connected to the grid since then. As far as I can remember, the figure stood at around 586MW in February this year. Since then, we've had the Baloki one and around three RPPs. That would make it around a thousand only. But let's see. I'll dig up the facts myself, you dig as well.

And all they virtual jihadis here :- We will be able to meet the peak electricity demand round-the-year only by the mid of 2012 and possibly late 2012. It is then expected to go back into shortfall around late 2013 and we'll run shortfalls until 2015 when we'll possibly meet the requirements. All this is based on expectations that projects will meet deadlines. If not, then even more delays.

As i say they didn't

Just fooling people because in major cities the loadshedding time has gone down. I left Pakistan for my Uni like two months ago so don't know the current scene.

But the Hydro power came up as snow melted.

Very few thermal projects of the IPP have begun, most of them are not even fully commissioned yet. My dad was project executive on one of them so i guess he would know.

Rental are still being hooked up.

1700 MW is a lot of power.

It means the load shedding all over Pakistan must have come down by at least 50 %. Meaning no more 6 hour load shedding. Is that true? Can anyone confirm? (I am no longer home)

yaar you guyz are neglecting 8% increase of electricity demand that we have every year.

Sorry in my above post i was talking about RPPs and not IPPs that was a typo. There is a visible decrease in loadshedding, do you now see industries being closed or daily strikes by the industrial sector? They have started receiving electricity recently and I believe there is a lot of electricity being added into national grid almost every month. 1 year ago we used to hear our total generation is somewhere between 8000 - 11000MW (although the capacity was near 17k) and now we hear we are producing between 11500 - 1300MW and the total production capacity standing near 20,000MW.

I often hear about electricity status from Pakistanis on pdf and other forums living in different parts of Pakistan and most of them confessed, where loadshedding used to be for 16 hours a day it has now reduced to 6-8 hours a day. Some even says 4 hours a day in some parts of Pakistan

Zaki : Let us dig into the folder and see what projects have started operating since March '08. I'm not talking about who commissioned them, just how much has been connected to the grid since then. As far as I can remember, the figure stood at around 586MW in February this year. Since then, we've had the Baloki one and around three RPPs. That would make it around a thousand only. But let's see. I'll dig up the facts myself, you dig as well.

And all they virtual jihadis here :- We will be able to meet the peak electricity demand round-the-year only by the mid of 2012 and possibly late 2012. It is then expected to go back into shortfall around late 2013 and we'll run shortfalls until 2015 when we'll possibly meet the requirements. All this is based on expectations that projects will meet deadlines. If not, then even more delays.

Here is a complete list of projects

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Govt added 1,708MW additional power to system since 2008

Saturday, July 24, 2010
By Ijaz Kakakhel

ISLAMABAD: The government has generated 1,708 megawatts (MW) additional power in two-and-a-half-year in a bid to overcome energy shortfall, sources told Daily Times on Friday.

The 1,708MW additional power generation capacity was added to the Pakistan Electric Power Company (PEPCO) system during February 28, 2008 to June 30, 2010. The contributors of this additional power to the system are; Independent Power Producers (IPPs) with 1,205MW, Hydel power generation 81MW, Rental Power Plants (RPPs) 122MW, and 300MW additional power generation through enhanced capacity due to GENCO rehabilitation.

The addition in hydel power generation was made from Malakand III Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and its 81MW addition was added in the system from November 2008. Six IPP projects added a total of 1,205MW power generation to the system. These projects are; Attock Generation Ltd of Rawalpindi, having generation capacity of 156MW, which was added to the system on March 17, 2009, Atlas Power Project Sheikhupura, having generation capacity 214MW and added to the system on December 18, 2009. The Engro Power Project of Dharki, having generation capacity 217MW, started its contribution to the system on March 27, 2010, Saif Power Generation Co of Sahiwal, having generation capacity 210MW started contributing to the national power system by April 30, 2010, the Orient Power Company Ltd of Balloki, having generation capacity 213MW was included in the national system by May 24, 2010 and the last IPP scheme was the Nishat Power Project of Pattoki Kasur, having generation capacity 195MW and started its contribution to the national power system on June 9, 2010, the official documents available with Daily Times revealed.

Two rental power plants, having combined power generation capacity of 122MW were added to the system in the last more than two years. These projects are; Gulf Power Ltd, Eimnabad, having generation capacity of 62MW was added to the system by April 29, 2010 and Summandri Road Faisalabad, having generation capacity of 60MW was added to the system by June 12, 2010.

During the last two years, the government also carried out Rehabilitation of GENCO and added 300MW to the national power system of PEPCO.

Officials in the Ministry of Water and Power told this correspondent that the 1,708MW power capacity additions would equal to an investment of $5 billion by the end of this year. This figure is unprecedented, barring investments made under the 1994 Power Policy and the then addition of 5,000MW of power generation capacity.

The official document further revealed that 17 Mega Transmission System Projects have been completed during early 2008 till June 2010 at a total cost of Rs 18 billion, an unprecedented achievement in comparison to the earlier 10 years. These works have been completed through self-financing and developmental loans garnered through KFW and ADB.

Demand Side Management and Energy Conservation have been the corner stone of the government and the PEPCO’s policy for mitigation of the ongoing energy crises inherited from the past. Consequently, the efforts during 2009 through an integrated Public Awareness and Conservation Campaign resulted in the reduction of peak demand by 1,000MW. This was the reason whey the crisis to a great extent was mitigated in last summer. The saving achieved each day on account of this effort has been quantified in the financial terms to be 55 million units of electricity each day or Rs 40 million of saving each day.

Besides, the conservation activity has brought great discipline to the load management activity and has also resulted in interruption free supply for the industry in Pakistan. The same efforts for the present year (2010) have been replicated, which was further added upon through the decisions of the Energy Summit held in April 2010 and at present 1,000 to 1,500MW is being clipped from the evening demands. The saving, while keeping the present power rates in view, is calculated to be Rs 65 million each day.

Removing subsidies is a necessary step.

Pakistan should end all subsidies because it costs too much, they distorts markets, creates generations of free loaders and can impose large economic costs in the long run. Consumers must pay real cost of the product.

integrated Public Awareness and Conservation Campaign resulted in the reduction of peak demand by 1,000MW.

Yes, the new CFLs will help but the cost does have an impact on decrease in demand. Peak demand has decreased by only 0.4 or 0.7 percent though. 1000MW is a fancy number. Check the Economic Survey.

After the drastic steps taken to conserve the electricity what is so surprising to have less use of electricity and hence a little less load-shedding, especially for industry? I remember when the Federal govt. proposed the drastic measures a few months ago there were some people who thought it was too drastic. But, in the end, they were a good Band-Aid. Certainly short term but at least the riots are not common since then.
And I am aware of the criticism against RPPs. There is probably some 'corruption' involved but short of completely eliminating electricity theft (I personally know some who do that in Karachi) and improving efficiency, the RPPs are the best short term relief measure. It is better to 'energy' available as expensive energy then not to have that at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom