What's new

Powering the Solar Revolution In Pakistan

As far as her numbers are concerned, I don’t think she us correct when she say, you can recoup your investment in 2-3 years and than its free. It takes 15 to 30 years in US to payoff investment given how cheap is electricity.

Even the best Solar panels lose their efficiency overtime. It’s just how they work. LG is the leader in solar panels manufacturing and their warranty is 15 year. For cheap Chinese brands in Pakistan, there is no guaranty. Idk Which brand is her company will be installing in Pakistan but something better than nothing I guess.
wrong.

this isnt usa, its pakistan. you can breakeven in 2-3 years on solar. and, yes, chinese brands have 15 years replacement, and a further 10 years repair guarantee. and I have personally seen 10 year old solar panels working properly. your information is either outdated, or from untrustworthy sources.

One of the outreach programs we started to do here in our community. As a collective, we work to identify areas where there are need especially where we have elderly looking after young; either the parents are deceased or they are far away working. Based on this our group (Jamat + Beth) pools funds together. One 60W solar panel +charger+inverter+ one deep cycle truck battery is used. LED bulbs and electrical wire + switches. We contracted with a few suppliers and get this as a whole unit. Then local unemployed electricians or those who just got into the trade are leveraged. Another criteria is we coordianate our effort with the regional authoritity to ensure that there is no over lap in terms of getting power there. One thing we also do is run education sessions to bring women on board as they are the household runners; teach them basic electricity training, wiring.
This was done in some villages in Pakistan, esp. those in northern areas, but not by the govt, but by the locals themselves. UNIDO also sponsored or created awareness about these things.

wrong.

this isnt usa, its pakistan. you can breakeven in 2-3 years on solar. and, yes, chinese brands have 15 years replacement, and a further 10 years repair guarantee. and I have personally seen 10 year old solar panels working properly. your information is either outdated, or from untrustworthy sources.
I guess it all comes down to cost of installation (labour and service) and solar panels which in Pakistan case are more likely cheap Chinese. But still 2-3 years sounds unrealistic.

As far as them Working properly, they most probably are for average lay.man. They are design to last 15 to 25 years ( depending on company). What I am talking about is decrease in efficiency overtime.You need to do your research to understand physics behind solar panels.

One of the biggest issues holding back massive investments in this sector is that net-metering isnt allowed beyond 1MW. removing this limit will allow Universities and factories to install systems greater than 1MW.

I guess it all comes down to cost of installation (labour and service) and solar panels which in Pakistan case are more likely cheap Chinese. But still 2-3 years sounds unrealistic.

As far as them Working properly, they most probably are for average lay.man. They are design to last 15 to 25 years ( depending on company). What I am talking about is decrease in efficiency overtime.You need to do your research to understand physics behind solar panels.
okay, lets calculate. a 10KW system, considering reduced efficiency of 80%, and 8 hours of intense daylight (a very very conservative estimate), will generate 64 units per day. 64x365 = 23360 per annum. for a tariff of 20rs per unit, it comes to 467,200 rupees savings per year (not including the advantage due to net-mtering). total cost of installation of a 10kw system, with labour, wiring, inverter, small battery backup is 1 million to 1.2 million PKR. with savings of 467,200 PKR per year, you breakeven in less than 3 years.

Dude, the efficiency drop is 0.5% per annum (as guaranteed by manufacturer). if its distributed over the guaranteed period, it will still be running at 80% efficiency, at worst (again, expecting the worst here, not best). if it doesnt, the guarantee covers it. dude, you need to do your research.

@waz Insha'Allah I'll start constructing my house in 1-2 years and I will definitely be using a 5KW on grid solar system to power my home.
my friend is using already and lots of ppl now doing in house.

I am also planning to install one. It would be cheaper but govt still have to pay capacity bill no matter we use it or not due to contracts?

okay, lets calculate. a 10KW system, considering reduced efficiency of 80%, and 8 hours of intense daylight (a very very conservative estimate), will generate 64 units per day. 64x365 = 23360 per annum. for a tariff of 20rs per unit, it comes to 467,200 rupees savings per year (not including the advantage due to net-mtering). total cost of installation of a 10kw system, with labour, wiring, inverter, small battery backup is 1 million to 1.2 million PKR. with savings of 467,200 PKR per year, you breakeven in less than 3 years.

Dude, the efficiency drop is 0.5% per annum (as guaranteed by manufacturer). if its distributed over the guaranteed period, it will still be running at 80% efficiency, at worst (again, expecting the worst here, not best). if it doesnt, the guarantee covers it. dude, you need to do your research.

For 10KW Setup 60+ unit is max & not even close to average.
To achieve this no. not only you need a clear sunny day but also no load shedding, clean panels (Our air is dusty) and most importantly perfect angle. Directly facing sun but structure are fix so you can't get max every time.

Smog also badly effect output.

Net Metering Rules are not that simple for first few month they will adjust unit against unit after that they will convert your extra unit to Rs 8 or something.

Your math and units are off. Energy is produce in watts by solar panels. You convert your units into kWh because energy is measured in kWh for house hold. kWh means 1000 watt per hour. So on and so forth.

I really don’t think people in Pakistan are paying 1.2 million RS in 2 years for their electric bills. Plus solar panel doesn’t work on cloudy day, nights, trees or shadows, or they are not kept clean. And reduction in efficiency is a gradient. Google is your friend.

As far as renewable is concerned. We once evaluated and found out manufacturing solar panels produces decent amount of carbon footprint itself when compared to its usefulness to reduce carbon emission over the years. Than there is a recycling issue once panels are useless.

Last edited:
People are quick to jump on Gora bandwagon without visualize the whole picture. Use hydroelectric that is flowing free of cost.

People are quick to jump on Gora bandwagon without visualize the whole picture. Use hydroelectric that is flowing free of cost.
Dams are being constructed all over Pakistan right now. You can check ghazi52's thread where he is constantly updating us with the progress being made. @ghazi52 Would you be kind enough to share the link of your dam thread?

Dams are being constructed all over Pakistan right now. You can check ghazi52's thread where he is constantly updating us with the progress being made. @ghazi52 Would you be kind enough to share the link of your dam thread?
I knows I saw his threads. Solar panels are fine for individual house holds but this solar farms and wind farms are just Chinese scams to make money, and by politicians to employ choty moty political lotay. My school friends is on board of directors for Quaid e Azam solar farm. Qualifications: Some non technical certificate (not degree) from unknown university in UK and full time political lora. Son of ex MNA.

Your math and units are off. Energy is produce in watts by solar panels. You convert your units into kWh because energy is measured in kWh for house hold. kWh means 1000 watt per hour. So on and so forth.
yeah, that is how it has been calculated, use your brain a bit.
For 10KW Setup 60+ unit is max & not even close to average.
To achieve this no. not only you need a clear sunny day but also no load shedding, clean panels (Our air is dusty) and most importantly perfect angle. Directly facing sun but structure are fix so you can't get max every time.

Smog also badly effect output.

Net Metering Rules are not that simple for first few month they will adjust unit against unit after that they will convert your extra unit to Rs 8 or something.
angle can be optimized using readily available software. even then, daylight estimate ahs been kept low on purpose, daylight time in summers is 14 hours. I have used 8 hours (less than what we get in winters, in Islamabad, southern areas receive wayy more), and have also reduced efficiency. dont worry, you will get a good output. besides you wont be using any of that in winters (no AC and fans), so excess output will go to the grid.
My school friends is on board of directors for Quaid e Azam solar farm. Qualifications: Some non technical certificate (not degree) from unknown university in UK and full time political lora. Son of ex MNA.
board of directors does nothing. consultants and contractors do. as far as day to day ops are considered, board of directors is meaningless.
Plus solar panel doesn’t work on cloudy day, nights, trees or shadows, or they are not kept clean. And reduction in efficiency is a gradient. Google is your friend.
again, genius, daylight hours have been used. if you cannot comprehend what that means, then follow your own advice and google a bit.

Last edited:
angle can be optimized using readily available software. even then, daylight estimate ahs been kept low on purpose, daylight time in summers is 14 hours. I have used 8 hours (less than what we get in winters, in Islamabad, southern areas receive wayy more), and have also reduced efficiency. dont worry, you will get a good output. besides you wont be using any of that in winters (no AC and fans), so excess output will go to the grid.

Already using 10KW Poly setup in Lhr.
Your numbers & points is no where near reality.

1> Panels are on fixed structure. But Sun Position in Winter, Summer & so on is different. You can't get best angle for 365 days.
Your 60+ number with 10KW setup required bright sun, no load shedding and most importantly your panels should be arranged for that month to get such no.
2> Trust me there is no such thing as 14 or 8 Hrs. e.g. Cloud, Monsoon, Smog, Fog, Dust on Panel, Panel Angle and last but not least Load Shedding all impact output.
3> Excess unit will go to grid but after 2~3 months your export unit will be converted in to Cash Rs 8~9 something. So don't expect your winter Export Unit will be adjust in Summer.

Last edited:
We could have benefited from Large Hydro Project like water storage, Flood protection & Cheap electricity.

But State has even used hydro project against Pakistan.

Senselessly constructing run of river IPP projects in AK. Who is going to pay for those expensive electricity. People and even industries moving toward solar because your can't afford power tarrif which will go further high.

Ignoring the most important hydro project on Indus which will save us from floods from both Indus and Swat & Kabul river but also near load(will reduce distribution cost) & as Terbala 40% capacity is gone we need a storage downstream.

Instead we are going to build Dams Up North while power needed in central. Water flow is also less. adding cost in construction but also Distribution cost which we have to pay forever.

We are also building Small hydro projects in KP which make zero Sense. As North will have Surplus Power after Large Dams & Main Lines will pass through KP. So not only KP don't' need power But those small Project unit cost is too high with Zero benefits.

Back
Top Bottom