What's new

Powering the Solar Revolution In Pakistan

Absolutely... @waz -- thoughts where to put thread on vision issues? It will be helpful for all? Members Club?

Bro as in a thread about "off the grid/sustainable" living? That would be a great idea.

5KW on grid is going to be expensive, probably costs around 5Lakhs in PKR. If it's hybrid including battery it'll add another 1-2Lakhs in batteries. Solar systems for home is good if you have a daily consumption of 10KWh.
I have an off grid system it charges from a 750W panel and gives me 2 KWh a day, we don't have any power cuts so I use it mostly to reduce my electricity bill, and it'd take at least 10 years to break even.

Always do a cost-benefit analysis if you pick a hybrid system. The costs I mentioned earlier may be lower-higher depending on the costs of materials in Pakistan.
Batteries like these: DIB-260-1.jpg (800×450) (pakistanbatterytraders.pk) cost around Rs.25000. Alhamdulillah Rs.500000-600000 is no big deal for me. You need to take into account how expensive electricity is in Pakistan, considering that this setup is cheap.

Bro as in a thread about "off the grid/sustainable" living? That would be a great idea.
The only people who should ever consider off grid system should those who live in remote areas or in villages that lack reliable electricity supply.

The only people who should ever consider off grid system should those who live in remote areas or in villages that lack reliable electricity supply.

Superb.

One of the outreach programs we started to do here in our community. As a collective, we work to identify areas where there are need especially where we have elderly looking after young; either the parents are deceased or they are far away working. Based on this our group (Jamat + Beth) pools funds together. One 60W solar panel +charger+inverter+ one deep cycle truck battery is used. LED bulbs and electrical wire + switches. We contracted with a few suppliers and get this as a whole unit. Then local unemployed electricians or those who just got into the trade are leveraged. Another criteria is we coordianate our effort with the regional authoritity to ensure that there is no over lap in terms of getting power there. One thing we also do is run education sessions to bring women on board as they are the household runners; teach them basic electricity training, wiring.

Fortunately guys, while power is a key utility; i would like to have clean water also raised in the thread.

I will put 3 threads- one for off grid setup, water, eye which @Cookie Monster was looking for.

@waz @Cookie Monster @_NOBODY_ - 3 threads commenced in Members Club.

Last edited:
We should consider adopting the “solar canals” concept being done in India, especially for Rural areas, as it would cut down on the need for long transmission lines and the associated line losses, along with a myriad of other benefits.

Last edited:

Look what Amir Khan is doing.. training people to store water.. without giving money and just training and motivating them

We should consider adopting the “solar canals” concept being done in India, especially for Rural areas, as it would cut down on the need for long transmission lines and the associated line losses, along with a myriad of other benefits.

I don't think so a continuous stretch of panels on top of canal is suitable... sunlight is needed for water organisms... else, it will create a dead patch of water where there is no sun light...

I don't think so a continuous stretch of panels on top of canal is suitable... sunlight is needed for water organisms... else, it will create a dead patch of water where there is no sun light...

which is why we should study it, and do experiments to determine how severe the negative aspects actually are.

Most Canals are artificially constructed for agricultural purposes that feed water from the river or some wells into farming fields that may be miles away. I don't think there is much aquatic life that would sustain in these Canals as they often run dry.

Or you can convert barren land where nothing grows, especially arid lands into Solar farms.
just training and motivating them
Engage in projects like building lakes or similar reservoirs in farming areas.

When will Pakistan start manufacturing solar cells and Batteries.

Pakistan has already started to utilizing their people with the brightness of solar systems. I personally know a company in Pakistan solar solutions known as Shams Power. They are the joint venture of two of Pakistan’s leading energy companies (PITCO and Orient Operating Company), offers you economically priced solar power for the next 15-25 years, on a Build Operate Own and Transfer basis. For more you can visit their official website: https://shams-power.com/

Nothing beats good old Hydropower and importance of dams. Hydropower is dirt cheap. Solar per KW many times expensive. These expensive shenanigan suits, those countries that have no other options and extra money to experiment. Pakistan need to first utilize it’s hydropower potential before importing foreign technology and hardware for these fancy so called renewable projects.

Nothing beats good old Hydropower and importance of dams. Hydropower is dirt cheap. Solar per KW many times expensive. These expensive shenanigan suits, those countries that have no other options and extra money to experiment. Pakistan need to first utilize it’s hydropower potential before importing foreign technology and hardware for these fancy so called renewable projects.
Utilizing hydropower is government's responsibility but we as individuals can install solar panels on our personal properties.

Utilizing hydropower is government's responsibility but we as individuals can install solar panels on our personal properties.
May be works for Pakistan in remote area and because grid is unreliable. Current Pakistan is in energy surplus with all the Chinese projects. So I don’t see needs further solar projects.

As far as her numbers are concerned, I don’t think she us correct when she say, you can recoup your investment in 2-3 years and than its free. It takes 15 to 30 years in US to payoff investment given how cheap is electricity.

Even the best Solar panels lose their efficiency overtime. It’s just how they work. LG is the leader in solar panels manufacturing and their warranty is 15 year. For cheap Chinese brands in Pakistan, there is no guaranty. Idk Which brand is her company will be installing in Pakistan but something better than nothing I guess.
In my area, solar companies like hers try hard to sell their service. Same business model. But when I crunch the number. It’s cheaper to pay monthly bill than paying off solar panels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom