What's new

Power generation through coal gasification by next year: Dr. Samar

Ok, lets be serious.

I accept that Kalabagh is improbable due to the mistrust created by the Big Province but there are various sites where hydroelectric power stations can be built.

We have limited resources, therefore, we have to set a list of priorities. when we complete one thing on the list, only then should we go for the item below.

Bhai Jan, mein aap ko coal gasification say ziada acha idea dayta hon:

Start mining for Uranium in the ASTEROID BELT and bring it back to earth to run the 500 nuclear power plants that have been secretly contructed by our VERY EFFICIENT GOVERNMENT.

Wont that be a little expensive :azn:
and suffice to say..
government hai kiski?.. ask not what your government is doing for you ..but rather why am I just sitting around watching them do nothing.

UCG.. is cheaper and cleaner than normal coal gasification.
And requires less investment..
No deep mine shafts. etc..

I dont say the government will do it.. or whether it will ever happen..
but it is NO waste of time..

I respect Dr Mubarakmand immensely but one important point he ignored to mention is the quantum of financial investment required. IMO the project will take a long time to complete but we have a silver lining on the horizon; that Pakistan has the potential of becoming self sufficient in energy. This alone is no small matter.

He did actually,

There was a series of his interviews last week so I am not sure if you missed any. He said a typical coal-gasification plant requires an initial investment of 1 dollar per 1KW comparing to $1.6 dollars for coal, $2.3 for Hydel and $3.5 for Nuclear reactors. So this is the cheapest solution we have available right now

After the initial investment it will generate electricity for 3 to 4 cents per unit.

PS: We all know that the alternative sources varies from 5- 15 cents per unit except hydro which is cheaper but requires big money for initial investment and sufficient water to generate electricity otherwise the total production will not be achieved.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you remember these deserts were lacking basic infrastructure, there was hardly any noticeable work going on and there was hardly any attention being paid by the government. But now its a different scenario... We have probably hundreds of Scientists & Engineers working in these deserts to exploit coal reserves, the basic infrastructure is already built and will be upgraded in future after the successful completion of first 100mw project due to be completed after 4 months... and later we will be moving for several 1000MW projects funded by both Federal/Provincial governments and the foreign investors. There was a time when we had nothing in these barren lands... now we have hundreds of scientists working in these coal mines so that alone makes a big difference.

The technology is being used for rightful purposes :D

Last edited:
He did actually,

There was a series of his interviews last week so I am not sure if you missed any. He said a typical coal-gasification plant requires an initial investment of 1 dollar per 1KW comparing to $1.6 dollars for coal, $2.3 for Hydel and $3.5 for Nuclear reactors. So this is the cheapest solution we have available right now

After the initial investment it will generate electricity for 3 to 4 cents per unit.

PS: We all know that the alternative sources varies from 5- 15 cents per unit except hydro which is cheaper but requires big money for initial investment and sufficient water to generate electricity otherwise the total production will not be achieved.

Those figures are WRONG. 1 dollar per KW means a 5000MW plant would cost only 5.5 million dollars. If only.

For large scale power plants, capital costs range from about 1,000 to 8,000 dollars per KW installed capacity, plus fixed and variable O&M costs ranging from 10 to 50 dollars per KW capacity.

If nothing happens, we will at least be converting this coal to diesel and save country's foreign reserves and boost Sui Northern Gas capacity by converting this coal into Gas

Two big advantages of these coal mines

Those figures are WRONG. 1 dollar per KW means a 5000MW plant would cost only 5.5 million dollars. If only.

For large scale power plants, capital costs range from about 1,000 to 8,000 dollars per KW installed capacity, plus fixed and variable O&M costs ranging from 10 to 50 dollars per KW capacity.

Oh nai that would 5.5 billion dollars instead

You can watch this video for more info. Start watching after 11 minutes

YouTube - Capital Talk 30th Nov 2010 Part 3

Old truth.....
And science without honesty is not complete........:smokin:

I didn't expect Dr. Samar Mubarak Mand to seduce simple Pakistanis into thinking that Pakistan can solve its electricity problems.

Oh sorry! I forgot. RHETORIC and EMOTIONAL OUTBURSTS are traits ingrained in our genes.

Dam banaanay nahein aur chalein hein coal gasification karnay.

Khuda ka khauf karo aur dam banao.

Yes building dams is an important issue but here we are discussing about Power generation through coal so please no unnecessary deviation from topic :cheers:

Last night on Capital Talk,
Dr Sahib said,
50000 MW electricity per year near about 1 cent.
and a lot of production of mobile.
great news.

50,000 MW per year at about 1 cent per unit? IMPOSSIBLE.

Today I saw Dr AQ Khan and Dr Samar Mubarak in Muhammad Ali Jinnah University Convocation that really was a pleasure to see. These two scientists have proved their worth over the years not in nuclear development but in defence, education, social, medical, industrial and agricultural fields as well. Now is the time that we put all of our best and proven minds on projects of national building like coal gasifiation by pitching them as rivals like KRL and NESCOM.

Even that figure is way too low if ALL the costs are taken into account.

we live in Pakistan not in USA

A device made in Lahore may worth 20,000 rupees and probably cost 500 dollars in USA

We have cheaper employment, can build infrastructure cheaply, can build the whole plant in reduced costs

Coal bhi apna hai - so may believe the scientists...Dr Samar Mubarakmand is too good to be doubted like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samar_Mubarakmand

Today I saw Dr AQ Khan and Dr Samar Mubarak in Muhammad Ali Jinnah University Convocation that really was a pleasure to see. These two scientists have proved their worth over the years not in nuclear development but in defence, education, social, medical, industrial and agricultural fields as well. Now is the time that we put all of our best and proven minds on projects of national building like coal gasifiation by pitching them as rivals like KRL and NESCOM.

^^^ I wish them both every success in their noble endeavors!

Back
Top Bottom