What's new

Post your non Anatolian Turkish ancestry

Okay guys my turn. :)

Father side:

According to my father our Ancestors came from Sincan / Urumçi. They traveled below the Hazar Sea and entered Anatolia before 1071. They first settled in Konya region later the travelled in to Antalya region Manavgat/ Aksu. But weather was too hot and not suitable for animal breeding. They travelled to Afyon region Çay/Bolvadin. My great grandfather's 4 brother martyred in Çanakkale War. As he was crippled (at his youth a stone wall collapsed onto him ) Military didn't enroll him. He raided Greeks with his friends (on horse) when they reached Afyon.

I have family tree as a Autocad drawing, passed to me by father which i can trace my 16th grand father. I treasure it a lot.

Mother's Side:

After Ottoman conquest of Egypt my mothers ancestors settled in Egypt who were previously residing in Anatolia. In 1790s A great great granddad moved to Crete to have a better work. He first settled in Ziga village. Later on they travelled and settled in Candia town. Around 1890's when Nationalism was on rise, Greeks began to assault Turkish villagers. At some time Greeks killed a Turkish İmam.. My granddad's grandad Ali who were built up and a "Kabadayı" in a night went to Greek village and killed 15 Greeks whom participated in attacks, by raiding their homes. He put their heads in a bag and went to Ottoman Kadı of that area. He opened the bag and dropped the heads on the ground. Ottoman Kadı said " Well done, lion..... from now on you shall be known as Black Lion" ...... Karaarslan, ( after decleration of Rebuplic, they take that nick for their surname). After the killings Ali had been a target for Greeks Fearing for his family's safety he travelled to Bodrum, later to Manisa.

And this concludes my lineage. :)

Nice story. My family has some history with the greeks as well. When the Ottomans were losing selanik my great great grandma was fighting the greek soldiers with an axe. They ran away from her. My family lived on the outside of selanik. Ataturk was also going to marry one of my ancestors but they said no because he was a soldier and would always be moving. Imagine if my ancestor married ataturk.:hitwall:

The only ancestor i know who fought in war was my grand grand father. He was sent to Egypt and returned alive. Second one. My grand mothers brother fought as navy sergeant in Cyprus war.

Maybe we should open seperate thread about ancestors who foughtin wars.

May be we should rename thread to "Post your ancestry" :D

Yeah i forget the " non Anatolian Turkish" part. :)

As i posted before. My father's side is pure Turkish.

My fathers side is a different issue. "My mother says, that her ancestors lived in Turkish villages and Turkish districts in a closed community not marrying with natural inhabitants"....... but she's blond with blue eyes..... when i say "Okay than, how can you explain your hair and eye color ??"

She can't :) I think at a point they took brides from both Greeks and Egyptians... so there is certain possibility that i carry Egyptian and Greek blond. By best chance i have 1/32 Greek blood, and by best chance Egyptian part should be around 1/1000s.

The only ancestor i know who fought in war was my grand grand father. He was sent to Egypt and returned alive. Second one. My grand mothers brother fought as navy sergeant in Cyprus war.

I once, opened a thread about my Grandfather whom fought in Korean war.

I was looking for a specific answer, still couldn't find that answer. :undecided:

Diary of a Turkish Soldier in Korean War

My paternal grandma's grandpa is fought at Galicia in ww1, he lost an arm and nicknamed Çolak, he was a good and caring man according to grandma.

My paternal grandpa's grandpa and great uncles etc. as far as I know are all or mostly partipicated in ww1(I haven't heard the whole story from my grandpa's uncle so I can't speak decisively) , can't quite remember but I guess he sai something about only one of them returning, because he was a cook, I suppose that was our great grandpa.

As I said I don't know much about my maternal side's history, but their surname indicates they were camel herders.

May be we should rename thread to "Post your ancestry" :D
:enjoy:

Actually, my uncle, from my father side, martyred in the war with Iraq, my grandparent dad from my mother side, fought against GB in WWII and I know that my grand-...-grand father attended the wars with Russians, and my ancestors were in fights against Zand dynasty, and they were cooperating with Safavids in wars, ...
Yeah i forget the " non Anatolian Turkish" part. :)

As i posted before. My father's side is pure Turkish.

My fathers side is a different issue. "My mother says, that her ancestors lived in Turkish villages and Turkish districts in a closed community not marrying with natural inhabitants"....... but she's blond with blue eyes..... when i say "Okay than, how can you explain your hair and eye color ??"

She can't :) I think at a point they took brides from both Greeks and Egyptians... so there is certain possibility that i carry Egyptian and Greek blond. By best chance i have 1/32 Greek blood, and by best chance Egyptian part should be around 1/1000s.

I once, opened a thread about my Grandfather whom fought in Korean war.

I was looking for a specific answer, still couldn't find that answer. :undecided:

Diary of a Turkish Soldier in Korean War
Being blond or having blue eyes does not necessarily mean that a person has non-Turkish blood. for example, some of my cousins have exactly the same appearance as you have mentioned, and we have nothing to do with greeks ;)

@Sinan

They say Cretan Turks are not Turks but Muslim Greeks, many were actually had dual language, some of the Cretan immigrants in Antalya were still able speak Greek when I was at middle school.

But may be your family is an exception I don't know.

@Sinan

They say Cretan Turks are not Turks but Muslim Greeks, many were actually had dual language, some of the Cretan immigrants in Antalya were still able speak Greek when I was at middle school.

But may be your family is an exception I don't know.

My Grandfather's parents were able to speak Greek. But they moved to Crete from Egypt and before it was Anatolia.. we are certain that they were Turks.

Okay guys my turn. :)

And this concludes my lineage. :)

You guys should be proud that you know your history that well. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Company, Muhtar Kent, once said - according to an article I read - that "You have to know where you come from in order to know where you are going.". He has got a point. I wish I knew mine as good as you guys do :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom