What's new

Possible future of Al-Zarrar tanks

convert them into suzuki mehran new model
I was thinking something along the lines of this:
btrt_03.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-T

Buddy, you need to be corrected on many accounts.

AZ doesn't hold any sentimental value. These are not old Tanks. They have been heavily modified with newer gun, newer armor and newest technology. Their time isn't gone, yet i agree with views on AK and that AK series should have equipped 50% of PA armor by now.

Every MBT is fragile against modern ATGM's, none is invincible. Al Zarrar can take on any Indian MBT, whether its T-90 or Arjun or T-72. Rest assured that heavy causalities will be on both sides.

Stop under estimating the 125mm main gun as well as tactics. PA would never approve a gun to be used on hundreds of MBT's if it wasn't capable of penetrating Indian MBT's.

Also bear in mind that PA wouldn't equip a major armored formation with out-of-date Tanks. T-59 is out of date and has been relegated to infantry support role.

Why not make an un-manned version of the AK-series and put it on the market too. AK clones have been inducted in 5 militaries around the world, although not comparable to T-54/55 and T-59 induction around the world, but since you keep talking of the future, so a newer platform is always better.

Al-Zarrar has already been upgraded to a major extent. Some minor changes maybe required but too much money has already been spent on this MBT. Its best to use new platforms and relegate the role of AZ to infantry support after AK series equips 70-80% of PA Armor.

PA APC methodology hints at no direct contact of APC with enemy, instead infantry dis-mount's and jumps into combat. So conversion of APC seems far fetched. Shortage of MBT is another issue, whether reserve or active.
First, most modern tanks can resist some shots of ATGMs in the front. In Syria Russian T-90 successfully resisted a lot of rebellion ATGMs, that saved lives. It depends on your composite armor and ERA. Al Zarrar doesn't have composite armor, and it's ERA is quite old too.

Yes, Al Zarrar has 125mm cannon. So what? T-55AM6 and A-55AGM and lots of T-55 tanks have 125mm guns. It dosen't mean those T-55 variants are third generation tanks which can match Indian T-90s and combat improve Ajeya.

When I am saying about Un-manned AZ, I mean an infantary supporting unmmanned tank. If a tank is hitted by ATGM on the side, AK and AZ make no difference. So using cheaper AZ as a un manned tank to support infantary is reasonable. Especially in city combat and mountain side combat.

A good tank even like AKII,it only takes days to produce a new one. But good tank crews will take years to get.

So unmanned AZ is a really good solution to support infantry in city combat or anti-terror operation. Let your enemy waste lives encountering Robert tanks. Even they successfully destoryed those AZ without crews, you can still recover most of them and repair those tanks.

Well as T-90 or OPLOT comes to replace older Tanks all those Tanks should be given FC KPK and Baluchistan and Sndh and Punjab Rangers. Than after some time retired.

First, most modern tanks can resist some shots of ATGMs in the front. In Syria Russian T-90 successfully resisted a lot of rebellion ATGMs, that saved lives. It depends on your composite armor and ERA. Al Zarrar doesn't have composite armor, and it's ERA is quite old too.
My friend,
Modern ATGM are top attack weapons. Even with heavy warheads, they are designed to penetrate the softer part of the MBT. If you are not talking about modern ATGM's, then Al Zarrar also resisted attack by RPG's from three directions. It was the IED's which destroyed Al Zarrar eventually and the crew of four survived, uninjured.
As for protection, there is composite layer protection at front and sides, spaced on turret sides and an option of add-on armor and anti-mine armor is available, apart from the ERA which is light to medium but not old as the old armor was light.

Now since you keep talking about ATGM, let me ask you what could be the relative payload of an IED and can you compare the payload of IED and ATGM? The IED could not destroy the Al Zarrar completely and the crew survived. The tank was without ERA plates at that time.
Yes, Al Zarrar has 125mm cannon. So what? T-55AM6 and A-55AGM and lots of T-55 tanks have 125mm guns. It dosen't mean those T-55 variants are third generation tanks which can match Indian T-90s and combat improve Ajeya.
Al Zarrar is required to take on the enemy with its main Gun, 125mm cannon which is stabilized and has the capacity to fire different kinds of rounds. If the 125mm gun wasn't required, the upgrade would have been using the older L-7 105mm gun, but the 125mm gun was installed keeping in mind the ability to engage and destroy T-90, T-72 and Arjun. The FCS and BMS are modern, apart from thermal imaging and night combat capability. Al Zarrar has been upgraded over time in terms of armor, ammunition, FCS, sensors etc , up to 3-4 standards more at least. The sensors combined with the bigger main gun gives a good chance to engage and take out the enemy in as less reaction time as possible.

When I am saying about Un-manned AZ, I mean an infantary supporting unmmanned tank. If a tank is hitted by ATGM on the side, AK and AZ make no difference. So using cheaper AZ as a un manned tank to support infantary is reasonable. Especially in city combat and mountain side combat.
I have already explained that PA is short on MBT inventory and the use of Mechanized Infantry by PA.

A good tank even like AKII,it only takes days to produce a new one. But good tank crews will take years to get.

So unmanned AZ is a really good solution to support infantry in city combat or anti-terror operation. Let your enemy waste lives encountering Robert tanks. Even they successfully destoryed those AZ without crews, you can still recover most of them and repair those tanks.

More funding should be spent on developing new MBT's whether manned or un-manned. AZ has limitations due to its size. Newer MBT's are larger and can accommodate more ammo/sensors (combat and non-combat), bigger power pack means more armor, more mobility not just in muddy plains and semi-hills but also in the desert, etc.

@Hu Yao

You can visit this thread for more information.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/al-zarrar-mbt-news-updates-discussions.43232/

although a cheaper solution to offset Indian larger armour but i strongly feel Al Zarrar lacks many things and very soon is going to be irrelevant with new generation of tanks rolling out ,only way i see Al Zarrar viable or even to be considered is use of trophy and active armour system

View attachment 471610

View attachment 471611
I know these pictures are not new but imagine RPG or in counter insurgency specially in the FATA area this tank has taken its toll .

Another worry for me APC PA currently have as we have seen devastating results in Iraq
http://pakmr.blogspot.com/2012/07/hits-muhafiz-apc-proves-to-be-deadly.html#ixzz217pKn0TP
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/pakistani-equipment-destroyed-in-iraq.323475/

So incase of Armour carriers and tanks all is not well ,patriotism demands to be realistic as well ,what we need is redesign and single chassis platform which can form the base line of Armour core

These pictures actually highlight a strength of Al-Zarrar in urban/COIN warfare and how survivable and cost effective it has been. I've posted recently about this particular event and there is a thread as well.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/how-al-zarrar-mbt-was-destroyed.27211/

This particular Al-Zarrar was ambushed and survived 6 suicide attacks and RPGs in a span of 15 minutes. It was immobilized but the hollow armor protected it, no breaches on the turret and hull. Crew survived and the tank was later put back in service after repairs.

No doubt it's a dated tank with some modern upgrades in firepower, but Al-Zarrar models have been shown with ERA Armour platting in defense exhibitions and some pictures were recently posted by a Chinese poster. Although most recent pictures are of units from western front but PA must must have the option to equip these with ERA on units deployed on eastern front.

Back
Top Bottom