What's new

Possibility of funding given to BNP in 1991 for elections

@icewolf.....woow what a retarded post... drone are not external threat...pls declare them Quami Parinda now.

P.S. As an Indian we should not mind what is happening inside Pakistan...if they are happy with ISI's performance who are we so say otherwise.

@icewolf.....woow what a retarded post... drone are not external threat...pls declare them Quami Parinda now.

P.S. As an Indian we should not mind what is happening inside Pakistan...if they are happy with ISI's performance who are we so say otherwise.

When Pak Governemnt has given nod to drone strikes, how is it a external threat, moron?

When Pak Governemnt has given nod to drone strikes, how is it a external threat, moron?

woow...personal attack !!

You are saying Pak govt has approved the drone attacks .. really !!

where is the stance that drone attack is the violation of Pakistan's sovereignity ?

as someone suggested earlier you should start reading newspaper

Pakistan Ends Drone Strikes in Blow to U.S. War on Terror - Businessweek

Pakistan has told the White House it no longer will permit U.S. drones to use its airspace to attack militants and collect intelligence on al-Qaeda and other groups, according to officials involved in the talks.

U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because the drone program is classified, called the use of unmanned aerial vehicles such as San Diego-based General Atomics’ MQ-1 Predator and its MQ-9 Reaper a critical element in the Obama administration’s anti-terrorism strategy.

Eliminating drone missions would “contribute to a resurgence of extremist groups operating in the tribal areas” along Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan, Peter Singer, author of “Wired for War: The Robotics Revolution and Conflict in the 21st Century,” said in an interview.

Pakistan’s ambassador to Washington, Sherry Rehman, met Vice President Joe Biden’s national security adviser Antony Blinken on March 9 and told him that Pakistan’s political parties have agreed that the drone flights over Pakistan must end, officials involved said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the talks were private.

Pakistan’s sovereignty over its airspace and the civilian casualties that have resulted from drone strikes are emotional issues in Pakistan, where public opinion heavily favors terminating drone missions, Pakistani officials say.

The U.S. will try to reach an accommodation with Pakistani leaders, two American officials said. The U.S. gave Pakistan $4.4 billion in economic assistance, counterinsurgency funding and military reimbursements in 2010, according to the Congressional Research Service.

Essential Strategy
The only chance for a compromise, Pakistani officials said, may be if the U.S. agrees to share intelligence and coordinate strikes first, a strategy Pakistan has long advocated. The U.S. has resisted giving information to Pakistan in advance because of fears that some in Pakistan’s security forces might warn the targets of impending strikes.

The drone program, which President Barack Obama acknowledged publicly for the first time in January, has been part of U.S. counter-terrorism strategy in Pakistan since 2004, officials and counter-terrorism experts say. The administration authorized 53 drone attacks in 2009 and 117 in 2010, compared with 35 in 2008 under former President George W. Bush, according to Bill Roggio, a U.S. military analyst whose website, the Long War Journal, maintains a database of the campaign.

‘Key Leadership’
The drone program is “critical,” because it provides better real-time surveillance and reconnaissance than satellite imagery does, Seth Jones, a senior political scientist in Washington for the Santa Monica, California-based RAND Corporation research institute, said in an interview.

“If it is used selectively,” it can help both the U.S. and Pakistan by taking out “key leadership” of al-Qaeda and other groups such as Tehrik-i-Taliban of Pakistan, which poses a greater threat to Pakistan than it does to the U.S., said Jones, a former representative of the U.S. Special Operations Command at the Pentagon.

Singer said that “for several years, Pakistan has openly said, ‘How dare you violate our sovereignty,’ but it turned out the CIA was flying from Pakistani bases with Pakistan’s permission.”

This time, it’s possible “they really mean it,” after a series of high-profile disputes have damaged relations, said Singer, director of the 21st Century Defense Initiative at The Brookings Institution in Washington.

Frayed by Controversies
U.S. officials are being dispatched to meet with Rehman today to discuss the dispute over drone missions and other sticking points in an alliance frayed by numerous controversies. Those have included the U.S. raid to kill Osama bin Laden without first informing the Pakistani government and the killing of two Pakistanis by a CIA contractor.

The security relationship has been virtually frozen since Nov. 26, when U.S. helicopters from Afghanistan fired on border posts, killing 24 Pakistani soldiers. In protest, Pakistan closed its border to the resupply of U.S. forces in Afghanistan and suspended much military and intelligence cooperation.

While drone attacks have continued this year, their frequency has waned. As of March 10, the U.S. had conducted eight attacks, an average of one every nine days, compared with one strike ever six days in 2011, according to Roggio.

The border attack spurred Pakistan’s political parties to form a parliamentary committee to review the U.S. relationship. A decision on whether to permit drone missions is one of the most anticipated elements of the review, which has not been made public.

Panel’s Recommendations
Pakistani officials said the committee will present its recommendations to a closed session of parliament as early as March 19, and lawmakers will have an opportunity to debate and amend the recommendations. Pakistan’s leaders are expected to share the review with the U.S. by the end of this month, officials on both sides said.

If the U.S. were to continue flying drone missions without Pakistani permission, some Pakistani military officials suggested last year that Pakistan would be within its rights to shoot them down.

“A Predator flies little faster than 100 miles per hour; a World War I pilot could shoot them down,” said Singer. For that reason, and to keep the operation secret, the U.S. used jet- powered semi-stealth technology in the bin Laden raid, flying a Lockheed Martin (LMT) RQ-170 Sentinel, the same type of aircraft that Iran said it had brought down over its airspace last December, Singer said.

Possible Compromise
The best solution may be a compromise that involves the Pakistanis more closely in drone operations, Singer said. “That’s certainly something the Pakistanis have asked for, but it may not be politically feasible in the U.S.”

“The better Pakistan can argue publicly that it’s involved in these strikes,” the better the chances of keeping the program alive, Singer said. Given how much trust on both sides has deteriorated, he said, any such cooperation would likely have to start slowly, choosing a few targets to test the strategy.

Singer said he predicts the U.S. will either reach a secret accommodation with the Pakistanis for continued drone missions, or “try a number of workarounds,” that might include flying stealth aircraft instead. Piloted stealth planes can’t linger over a target as long as drones can, he said.

Either solution has drawbacks, he said, from a “fear that the more information we share with them, the less effective our strikes are going to be,” to a concern that using stealth rather than drone technology means “you’re not going to be able to carry out as many of these operations.”

Ripple Effects
What happens in Pakistan may have ripple effects for U.S. drone programs around the world, in places including Somalia, Yemen and the Philippines, he said.

Testifying before Congress last week, Marine Corps General James Mattis, the head of U.S. Central Command, expressed confidence that the U.S. and Pakistan will overcome tensions.

“We do have a problematic at times relationship with Pakistan. That does not prevent us from working it. And there’s a lot of common ground that we use -- that we operate off of together against this enemy. We don’t have 100 percent common ground about it, but it is not a show stopper,” Mattis told the House Armed Services Committee on March 7.

To contact the reporter on this story: Indira A.R. Lakshmanan in Washington at ilakshmanan@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: John Walcott at jwalcott9@bloomberg.net

complete and utter bs any member of any spy agency would never voluntarily give up any information let alone the spy chief giving up classified info about the agency's ops......

woow...personal attack !!

You are saying Pak govt has approved the drone attacks .. really !!

where is the stance that drone attack is the violation of Pakistan's sovereignity ?

as someone suggested earlier you should start reading newspaper

Pakistan Ends Drone Strikes in Blow to U.S. War on Terror - Businessweek

Kiddo, you and I both know that Zardari will not stop drone strikes until he keeps getting his paycheck from the Americans.

complete and utter bs any member of any spy agency would never voluntarily give up any information let alone the spy chief giving up classified info about the agency's ops......

He is an "ex" agent. ;)

I think what u Indians did in 1971. Someone has to payback for it and who will be better other than ISI for such a task.

Good going ISI.

And Baluchistan is completely a different ball game , in 71 there was a big area between east and west Pakistan which was difficult to control but in Baluchistan there is no other than Balochistan(Pakistan) and Iran's border and SEA of course.
How now Pakistan army has learnt its lesson and knows how to deal with small miscreants of BLA.

We did nothing in 1971. Brave bengladesi had already won war before we engaged into conflict. The credit goes to Bangla Awam.

Pakistan should be thankful to us, we saved your 90,000 soldiers. Benagli brothers were angry the way our sisters have been "treated" by Pakistani forces. They wanted to kill Pakistani POW. In one instance JR Jacob says "The Mukti W guerrillas were forcing us to give away the pakistani soldiers, we were outnumbered. I stand firm and told, no POW will be given to MW. Though I was scared that MW can use force against us" Book: The dhaka fall..

@topic: What I see Pakistani judiciary should have tried ' former ISI chief Asad Durrani' in close proceeding. By revealing such facts Mr Durrani is bringing shame to Pakistan. Its affecting Pakistan image in subcontinent. Its clear now that BD leader Khalida Zia is Pakistani agent in BD. This will hurt her political career.

He is an "ex" agent. ;)

He is " former ISI chief Asad Durrani" not any field agent. use your common sense. :)

We did nothing in 1971. Brave bengladesi had already won war before we engaged into conflict. The credit goes to Bangla Awam.

Pakistan should be thankful to us, we saved your 90,000 soldiers. Benagli brothers were angry the way our sisters have been "treated" by Pakistani forces. They wanted to kill Pakistani POW. In one instance JR Jacob says "The Mukti W guerrillas were forcing us to give away the pakistani soldiers, we were outnumbered. I stand firm and told, no POW will be given to MW. Though I was scared that MW can use force against us" Book: The dhaka fall..

@topic: What I see Pakistani judiciary should have tried ' former ISI chief Asad Durrani' in close proceeding. By revealing such facts Mr Durrani is bringing shame to Pakistan. Its affecting Pakistan image in subcontinent. Its clear now that BD leader Khalida Zia is Pakistani agent in BD. This will hurt her political career.

He is " former ISI chief Asad Durrani" not any field agent. use your common sense. :)

Dear, you didn't save our 90,000 soldiers, we called them back. Our 90,000 soldiers could have easily tooken care of themselves in East Pakistan as they were before.

Dear, any General of an Army is still a soldier, no?

BNP is Bangladesh not India's North East.

Asim,

Thanks for correction of the title.

It would be more grateful of you if you would delete all the non-sense posts, and issue infractions.
The quality of posting has seriously fallen, with direct attacks to members, low quality and off topic posts, baseless accusations and statements.

Dear, you didn't save our 90,000 soldiers, we called them back. Our 90,000 soldiers could have easily tooken care of themselves in East Pakistan as they were before.

Ingratitude. Your soldier were lucky that Indian forces didn't let MW to take revenge of atrocities. They were low on ammo,food and medicine, how could have they taken care of them self??? In one instance JR Jacob says "Pakistani forces were low on warm cloth, I asked my officer to bring some blanket and provide it to Pakistani officer-- book: The dhaka fall"

Dear, any General of an Army is still a soldier, no?

what a lame logic. If I go by ur logic, Bill gates is a human and I am a human, so both of us carry equal weight.

Asim,

Thanks for correction of the title.

It would be more grateful of you if you would delete all the non-sense posts, and issue infractions.
The quality of posting has seriously fallen, with direct attacks to members, low quality and off topic posts, baseless accusations and statements.

Didnt you call a member a moron a few posts back ? ;)

BNP is Bangladesh not India's North East.

Pakistan's Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) has admitted to meddling in India's Northeast and funding the right-wing Bangladesh National Party (BNP) during the 1991 general elections in that country

@Icewolf...sorry sir...you are a hopeless case.. Zardari is deciding Pakistan's foreign policy is shocking !!

@Icewolf...sorry sir...you are a hopeless case.. Zardari is deciding Pakistan's foreign policy is shocking !!

My Dear, I meant Zardari gets paycheck but also whole of PPP gets paycheck from USA.

Pakistan's Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) has admitted to meddling in India's Northeast and funding the right-wing Bangladesh National Party (BNP) during the 1991 general elections in that country.
The admission came from no less than former ISI chief Asad Durrani during a Pakistan Supreme Court hearing on the spy agency's mandate on Wednesday.
A three-member bench of the apex court headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhary grilled the former spy agency chief on ISI's funding for politicians both within and outside Pakistan.
Recently a UAE-based daily had alleged that ISI paid Rs 50 crore to BNP chairperson and former PM Khaleda Zia ahead of the 1991 elections in which the BNP won and formed the government.
There are allegations that the ISI has been active in Bangladesh whenever the BNP has been in power (1991-96) and later during 2001-06.
The spy agency was also alleged to have launched a campaign from Bangladesh to destabilise the Northeast by patronising and providing logistic support, including funds, to the insurgent groups operating from Bangladesh.
The ISI is alleged to have supported a network in Bangladesh, which includes the hardline Jamaat-e-Islami (JEI), the BNP and Northeast rebel groups during the BNP's rule.

Pakistan ISI admits supporting insurgency in India's Northeast | Mail Online
Here is the detailed statement
ISLAMABAD: Former DG ISI Lt Gen (retd) Asad Durrani has now formally involved the Military Intelligence as well in the money disbursement case, generally referred to as the Mehrangate scam.

In his latest statement, submitted before the apex court on March 8, Durrani said that he had used the Military Intelligence for the disbursement of the money deposited by Younis Habib.

Durrani, whose earlier affidavit had brought the ISI’s dirty role into focus, has now named the Military Intelligence too in the same shady business of 1990 when the anti-PPP politicians, political parties andjournalists were paid money by the ISI on the then government’s direction.

In his original affidavit of 1994, Durrani, who at that time was PPP government’s ambassador in Germany had revealed: “In September 1990 as DG ISI, I received instructions from the then COAS General Mirza Aslam Beg to provide “logistic support” to the disbursement of donations made by some businessmen of Karachi to the election campaign of IJI. I was told that the operation had the blessings of the government.”

Now after 18 years of his initial affidavit, Durrani in his two-page statement submitted before the apex court on March 8, 2012 said: “Mr Yunus Habib did deposit Rs140 million in various branches in the accounts opened, on my orders, by Brig Hamid Saeed (heading MI and not ISI formation in Karachi).”

Durrani added, “This fact was also mentioned by me in the affidavit that I had signed and handed over to Mr Rehman Malik, the then DG FIA on 24-07-94.”

However, the July 24, 1994 affidavit of Durrani does not mention even once of the Military Intelligence. Instead in that affidavit, Durrani said: “Accordingly I tasked some officers, and took the following actions: (a) Opened a few cover accounts in Karachi, Quetta and Rawalpindi. (b) Money-eventually 140 million rupees-was deposited in Karachi accounts by one Mr Younus Habib. (c) As required amounts were transferred to Quetta and Rawalpindi accounts. (d) A total of 63 million rupees were distributed as directed by the COAS or at time directly by the election cell in the President. (e) The remaining money was transferred to a special fund.”

However, what Durrani did not write in any of his two statements (the 1994 affidavit and March 8, 2012 SC statement) is reflected in his confidential note that he had written to the Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in 1994: “A few points I could not include in my ‘confessional statement’ (affidavit) handed over to the director FIA. These could be embarrassing or sensitive.

a. The recipients included Khar 2 million, Hafeez Pirzada 3 million, Sarwar Cheema 0.5 million and Mairaj Khalid 0.2 million. The last two were not on the wrong side. It was merely some one’s ‘soft corner’ that benefited them.

b. The remaining 80 millions were either deposited in the ISI’s ‘K’ fund or given to director external intelligence for special operations. (Perhaps the saving grace of this disgraceful exercise but it is delicate information.)

c. The operation not only had the ‘blessings’ of the president and the whole hearted participation of the caretaker PM, but was also in the knowledge of the Army High Command. The last mentioned will be the disgrace of may of us including Gen Beg (who took his colleagues in confidence) but that is the name we have to protect.

The point that I have ‘war gamed’ in my mind very often is: what is the object of his exercise?

a. If it is to target the opposition; ‘it might be their legitimate right to take donations, especially if they came through ‘sacred channels’. Some embarrassment is possible but a few millions are peanuts nowadays.

b. If the idea is to put Gen Beg on the mat; ‘he was merely providing ‘logistic instruction’ from the government and with the ‘consent’ of the military high command’. In any case I understand he is implicated in some other deals in the same case.

c. GIK could pretend ignorance, as indeed he never involved himself directly.

d. Of course one has to meet the genuine ends of law. In that case let me take care of the sensitivities like special operations and possibly that of the Army.

“It was for these reasons that I desperately wanted to see you before leaving. I also wanted to talk about my farewell meeting with the COAS. In the meantime you must have met after enough and worked out what is in the best interest of the country.”

Asad Durrani involves MI in Mehrangate - The News
There is no direct expression of any kind as such, this news piece is only posted by this newspaper, which is also, if fact, based on allegations.

Are you trying say that assisting Sindhdesh formation is the payback for Mumbai attacks?
I thought we already did the payback for mumbai attack..:agree:
Atleast 10 times the people killed in mumbai attack were killed in pakistan after 26/11.. ISI buildings were blown up twice... if RAW is not involved,"somebody":angel: is doing the job for us.

Back
Top Bottom