What's new

Political impropriety ! Govt announces Lt Gen Suhag as next Army chief despite BJP objections

Indo-guy

Reaction score
Country
India
Govt set to announce Lt Gen Suhag as next Army chief despite BJP objections - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: After getting the Election Commission's nod despite BJP's charges of impropriety, the government is now all set to name Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag as the next Army chief after General Bikram Singh, who retires on July 31.
Though a new government is likely to come into office after the Lok Sabha results on May 16, the UPA government's stand is that it went by the long-standing convention of announcing a new service chief "at least two months in advance" while adhering to the seniority principle in the armed forces.
The Election Commission gave the green signal for announcement of the next Army chief's name to the defence ministry on Monday, following which the file was sent to the appointments committee of the cabinet for the final nod.
The BJP had earlier complained to the Election Commission that the UPA regime was showing undue haste in declaring the new Army chief before it demitted office in mid-May.
BJP Lok Sabha candidate from Ghaziabad and former Army chief Gen V K Singh, in particular, kept up his sharp attack against the Bikram-Suhag line of succession in the Army.
Incidentally, if Lt Gen Suhag, a Gorkha Rifles officer, had been overlooked, the second seniormost serving lieutenant general, Southern Army Command chief Ashok Singh, would have been the frontrunner for the chief's post. Lt Gen Ashok Singh's son is married to Gen V K Singh's daughter, as earlier reported by TOI.
Even since Admiral R K Dhowan superseded Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha to become the Navy chief on April 17, the 1.18-million strong Army was all agog over whether its own chain of succession would also undergo a change, especially with Gen V K Singh wading into the battle to hurl accusations against Lt Gen Suhag.
Gen V K Singh had imposed a discipline and vigilance (DV) promotion ban on Lt Gen Suhag just before retiring as the Army chief in 2012. He charged Lt Gen Suhag with abdicating responsibility in handling a botched operation by an intelligence and surveillance unit under him as the 3 Corps commander in Dimapur.
But soon after Gen V K Singh retired in May 2012, following a messy battle over his actual date of birth with the UPA government, Gen Bikram Singh had lifted the DV ban on Lt Gen Suhag, clearing his promotions as the Eastern Army commander and then the vice-chief, with defence minister A K Antony's concurrence.
Over the years, new service chiefs have been named "58 to 89 days" in advance, with the seniormost lieutenant general, vice-admiral or Air Marshal virtually always making it to the top post.
The only two prominent supersession cases were when Lt Gen S K Sinha was overlooked by Indira Gandhi to make General A S Vaidya the Army chief in 1983, and Air Chief Marshal S K Mehra became IAF chief by superseding Air Marshal M M Singh in 1988. Both Sinha and Singh had then promptly resigned.

Congress must be setting itself up. Either this guy is corrupt, had good ties with the Gandhi's, or is part of the arms lobby. Why the f-k would they want to select a person so quickly, when they took their sweet *** time, releasing the Swiss bank documents which are BS. It means corruption! I suggest all Indians on this site to post this on their social media....and spread it,

Congress must be setting itself up. Either this guy is corrupt, had good ties with the Gandhi's, or is part of the arms lobby. Why the f-k would they want to select a person so quickly, when they took their sweet *** time, releasing the Swiss bank documents which are BS. It means corruption! I suggest all Indians on this site to post this on their social media....and spread it,

It's an obscene move by UPA to appoint next Army chief when it's at fag end of it's tenure ...

There is no urgency to appoint next Army chief ...

while UPA took several months to appoint Navy chief even as the post of Navy chief remained vacant ..why it's maneuvering to appoint successor to current Army chief .

This is absolutely condemnable ...

@Indo-guy, when this gentleman is due for retirement? I think till that new govt. has to watch his steps!! We all know UPA wants to politicise the only non political organistion in our country.

@Indo-guy, when this gentleman is due for retirement? I think till that new govt. has to watch his steps!! We all know UPA wants to politicise the only non political organistion in our country.

It's quite surprising why no one aside from BJP is raising voice against this totally improper conduct of UPA .

The shadow boxing between some constituents of BJP and UPA has done a great damage to institution of military which was never politicized to this extent ..

It's matter of great shame that it's happening .

I have no personal objections for Lt gen Suhag singh ..but the way he is being used as pawn in a game to check mate NDA/BJP moves is unfortunate ...

I just hope that President Pranab Mukhaerjee will exercise his discretion by refusing to give his assent ...

Pranab Mukherjee is expected to remain impartial and be guardian of constitutional propriety ...

It's absolutely unethical for lame-duck government to press ahead with appointments when it is matter of just 3 days when the results of general elections will be declared and the process of installation of new government will kick-start ...

UPA is about to set bad precedent ...and it will not stop there in there itself .

NDA if it comes to power is likely to overturn this decision taken in haste ....further clouding the pristine image of military .

I just want to know isn't this person involved in some corruption/wrongdoing.............?

I think I saw it on news some time back.

While my blood is boiling with this government decision ...I won't drag vice army chief's name ....without knowing anything about it .

Let us ourselves maintain propriety by not dragging Lt Gen Suhag's character in this issue .

Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag named new Army chief - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: The outgoing UPA government on Tuesday named Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag as the next Army chief after General Bikram Singh who retires on July 31.
The Election Commission had on Monday given the green signal for announcement of the next Army chief's name to the defence ministry, following which the file was sent to the appointments committee of the cabinet for the final nod.
The BJP had earlier complained to the Election Commission that the UPA regime was showing undue haste in declaring the new Army chief before it demitted office in mid-May.
Gen V K Singh had imposed a discipline and vigilance (DV) promotion ban on Lt Gen Suhag just before retiring as the Army chief in 2012. He charged Lt Gen Suhag with abdicating responsibility in handling a botched operation by an intelligence and surveillance unit under him as the 3 Corps commander in Dimapur.
But soon after Gen V K Singh retired in May 2012, following a messy battle over his actual date of birth with the UPA government, Gen Bikram Singh had lifted the DV ban on Lt Gen Suhag, clearing his promotions as the Eastern Army commander and then the vice-chief, with defence minister A K Antony's concurrence.
Over the years, new service chiefs have been named "58 to 89 days" in advance, with the seniormost lieutenant general, vice-admiral or Air Marshal virtually always making it to the top post.
The only two prominent supersession cases were when Lt Gen S K Sinha was overlooked by Indira Gandhi to make General A S Vaidya the Army chief in 1983, and Air Chief Marshal S K Mehra became IAF chief by superseding Air Marshal M M Singh in 1988. Both Sinha and Singh had then promptly resigned.

@Indo-guy bro don't drag the new COAS's name through the mud just because of the general dislike/distrust of the UPA. I personally believe there is nothing wrong with this accession, since Bikram Singh became COAS Dulbir Singh has been in line to become the next COAS- fro 2 years now this has been on the cards and only now (during an election) the BJP are raising their objections. This has a LOT to do (actually everything to do) with VK Singh, it is his belief that the entire age issue that forced him out the door was because there was some nefarious conspiracy hatched to get Dulbir Singh as COAS, this was the narrative HE put out there because this is the only way he could defend himself on the issue. 2 years down the line and he has been pretty much silent on the matter until election time comes around (interesting that, not to mention he is now part of the BJP). His allegations on the TATRA trucks have come to NOUGHT- the CBI closed the case a few weeks back because there was absolutely 0 evidence of wrongdoing only an unsubstantiated claim by VK Singh.

Now I don't know what Mr VK Singh is playing at but it certainly seems that he is using anti-UPA sentiment to further his own interests I mean he has quickly been absorbed by the BJP and is set to attain quite a lofty position in the next Govt. He has broken with almost every established norm and thrust himself into politics immediately after retirement and let's not forget took the Govt to court (a move that is just not done in the Indian Mil) whilst still serving. Who knows how long he has been planning this? Possibly he was always looking to get into politics after retiring and has set him self up nicely to do the same.

I have no doubt that VKS has used the whole matter to further his own goals but through the process has tarnished the image of the institution that has made him all he is, I'm sorry but this is just not on.

Anyway, let's not forget, the post of COAS whilst being senior in the IA is not all that powerful a position. The Indian Mil is still 100% subservient to the civilian authority so even IF (and that's a big if) he has ties to Congress (again entirely unsubstantiated and bordering on slander really) so what? The BJP govt (looks to be the next GoI) will still be able to dictate to him quite easily and he will not have any say on national policy.

@Indo-guy bro don't drag the new COAS's name through the mud just because of the general dislike/distrust of the UPA. I personally believe there is nothing wrong with this accession, since Bikram Singh became COAS Dulbir Singh has been in line to become the next COAS- fro 2 years now this has been on the cards and only now (during an election) the BJP are raising their objections. This has a LOT to do (actually everything to do) with VK Singh, it is his belief that the entire age issue that forced him out the door was because there was some nefarious conspiracy hatched to get Dulbir Singh as COAS, this was the narrative HE put out there because this is the only way he could defend himself on the issue. 2 years down the line and he has been pretty much silent on the matter until election time comes around (interesting that, not to mention he is now part of the BJP). His allegations on the TATRA trucks have come to NOUGHT- the CBI closed the case a few weeks back because there was absolutely 0 evidence of wrongdoing only an unsubstantiated claim by VK Singh.

Now I don't know what Mr VK Singh is playing at but it certainly seems that he is using anti-UPA sentiment to further his own interests I mean he has quickly been absorbed by the BJP and is set to attain quite a lofty position in the next Govt. He has broken with almost every established norm and thrust himself into politics immediately after retirement and let's not forget took the Govt to court (a move that is just not done in the Indian Mil) whilst still serving. Who knows how long he has been planning this? Possibly he was always looking to get into politics after retiring and has set him self up nicely to do the same.

I have no doubt that VKS has used the whole matter to further his own goals but through the process has tarnished the image of the institution that has made him all he is, I'm sorry but this is just not on.

Anyway, let's not forget, the post of COAS whilst being senior in the IA is not all that powerful a position. The Indian Mil is still 100% subservient to the civilian authority so even IF (and that's a big if) he has ties to Congress (again entirely unsubstantiated and bordering on slander really) so what? The BJP govt (looks to be the next GoI) will still be able to dictate to him quite easily and he will not have any say on national policy.

where and how I drag the name of new COAS through mud ?
@Abingdonboy you should omit and edit reference to me saying that I should not drag COAS name through mud ...because simply I did not .

For your information this is what I said yesterday afternoon as you can see in post no. #9

" While my blood is boiling with this government decision ...I won't drag vice army chief's name ....without knowing anything about it .
Let us ourselves maintain propriety by not dragging Lt Gen Suhag's character in this issue "

Back
Top Bottom