What's new

Policy watch: What factors helped Bangladesh overtake India in per capita income?

Even if we go by what you have said with unskilled labor and cheap RMG has Bangladesh come up to this far and turned it into one of top three fastest growing economy with 480 billion usd economy which is going to be confirmed this July if nothing has changed? Even if that’s true why do you think all renowned brands and companies still investing on Bangladesh but not other countries? Do you think RMG sector of 1980s and now are the same? Do you even have realization how this garments industry has employed more than 3 million unskilled woman which helped them to eliminate poverty in their family? How many countries have such example?

Plus despite having everything why both Pakistan and India lagged behind Bangladesh?

Saying all these you forgot about large domestic investment and consumption along with more than 30 million middle class that’s helping Bangladesh to grow these fast.

Bangladesh has transformed itself in a sustainable manner than since 1970s that many could not do. Now it’s heading towards one of the top 25 economy by 2035 and top 20 by 2050.

As economy is growing government is focusing on many other industries which I have mentioned above. As more infrastructures are getting built, energy production increases and some of the bottlenecks are removed along with 100 SEZ completes its construction it’s just a matter of time FDI will accelerate which is at present 3 billion usd and many are already in the pipelines.

So the bottom line is Bangladesh needs steady and sustainable development which more or less it is getting as it’s evident from year over year increase in growth rate.

I don’t know you, so it’s not important for me to know where do you work or your company name. But renowned companies look for knowledgeable and smart people to join them but unfortunately looking at your writing style and dearth of knowledge on economics you seems lack that part.

Why are you feeding the troll?

Best to ignore and it will leave.

This dude thinks that he knows more about BD economy than IMF, ADB and World Bank combined.

Ppl look at headline numbers. Two sectors that dominate bd economy since early 1990s is low skilled migrants and cheap garments. Nothing much has changed.

U put Canadian flag on display but dont know about Brookfield lol. Half of canada own by them. Do some research before bragging about bd sweatshops.

Instead of admitting bd failed to diversify its economy and cant get fdi. Without transfer of knowledge and fdi no country can diversify.
This is exactly right. We have very limited technological know-how to be able to produce high end products. What people often miss is FDI comes with tech transfer - something we badly need to be able to diversify away from excessive reliance on garments.

Some people think Walton alone can pull the country out of its misery, it can't nor is it their responsibility.
The pharma industry will go bust soon if it cannot transition fast towards researching and patenting its own drugs - the IP exeption that comes with LDC status will go away soon meaning no more generic drug production without strict licensing from foreign patent owners.

The government must start confiscating wealth of rich tax dodgers and direct the fund towards improving infrastructure and connectivity between industrial areas and ports/airports and setting up international standard trade schools all around the country.
Offer good infrastructure and skilled labour and FDI's will flow in like a tsunami.

Last edited:
This is exactly right. We have very limited technological know-how to be able to produce high end products. What people often miss is FDI comes with tech transfer - something we badly need to be able to diversify away from excessive reliance on garments.

Some people think Walton alone can pull the country out of its misery, it can't nor is it their responsibility.
The pharma industry will go bust soon if it cannot transition fast towards researching and patenting its own drugs - the IP exeption that comes with LDC status will go away soon meaning no more generic drug production without strict licensing from foreign patent owners.

The government must start confiscating wealth of rich tax dodgers and direct the fund towards improving infrastructure and connectivity between industrial areas and ports/airports and setting up international standard trade schools all around the country.
Offer good infrastructure and skilled labour and FDI's will flow in like a tsunami.
Without fdi and tech trasfer bd will remain what it is today. Bunch of sweat shop factories selling cheap cotton products in deep discounts.

keep praying poor migrants from middle east keep sending money on official channels.

Even if we go by what you have said with unskilled labor and cheap RMG has Bangladesh come up to this far and turned it into one of top three fastest growing economy with 480 billion usd economy which is going to be confirmed this July if nothing has changed? Even if that’s true why do you think all renowned brands and companies still investing on Bangladesh but not other countries? Do you think RMG sector of 1980s and now are the same? Do you even have realization how this garments industry has employed more than 3 million unskilled woman which helped them to eliminate poverty in their family? How many countries have such example?

Plus despite having everything why both Pakistan and India lagged behind Bangladesh?

Saying all these you forgot about large domestic investment and consumption along with more than 30 million middle class that’s helping Bangladesh to grow these fast.

Bangladesh has transformed itself in a sustainable manner than since 1970s that many could not do. Now it’s heading towards one of the top 25 economy by 2035 and top 20 by 2050.

As economy is growing government is focusing on many other industries which I have mentioned above. As more infrastructures are getting built, energy production increases and some of the bottlenecks are removed along with 100 SEZ completes its construction it’s just a matter of time FDI will accelerate which is at present 3 billion usd and many are already in the pipelines.

So the bottom line is Bangladesh needs steady and sustainable development which more or less it is getting as it’s evident from year over year increase in growth rate.

I don’t know you, so it’s not important for me to know where do you work or your company name. But renowned companies look for knowledgeable and smart people to join them but unfortunately looking at your writing style and dearth of knowledge on economics you seems lack that part.
Its not 480 billion lol. Why does bd ppl love to brag. Its not even 400 billion considering dollar is now close to taka 100. Bd net fdi is 3 billion? Its not.

And for say its 3 billion where its going. Mostly in power sector investment from China state back companies and rest are going to same underwear sweat shop industry. Some might be intercompany trasfer through mnc but they mostly reinvest what they make from bd. Not fresh investment.

Almost all asian countries have better track record. You think bd is some sort of economic super star lol. Difference is most asian countries move up lot faster on diversification because they were successful when it comes to fdi and knowledge trasfer. From china to thailand to Korea same example again and again.

I find it hillarious sweat shop owners now advertise on cnn for better branding. Good luck with that. U can't teach a old dog new tricks. Bd sweat stops have a reputation being low paid shit working conditions wont change with bunch of ads on cnn.

Last edited:
Comparison betwee successful S Korea and Thailand FDI as percentage of GDP.

This clearly shows a reverse correlation between FDI and economic growth.

Anyone with half a brain would be able to figure why too much FDI is bad for any economy that wants to develop it's own industries. BD has the balance about right at this stage.

S Korea: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/BX.KLT.DINV.WD.GD.ZS?locations=KR

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 15.03.59.png

Thailand: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/BX.KLT.DINV.WD.GD.ZS?locations=TH

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 15.05.21.png

Last edited:
What is with too personal. You dont like my post dont bother reply.

Only one embarrassing is you. underwear export is not 50. And to reach 40 billion swear shops export u also import 25 billion import of raw materials and need shit load of indian management to achive that. So net is very low.

Main driver is low skilled migrants in middle east and send poor women to get raped. Have u been to middle east how bd ppl are treated...worse then animals.

Freelance earn barely billion dollar. Mid tier IT companies made more then that.

All this pharmacy and ship building how long u will be bitching about same bs. It still didn't even pass 1 billion mark (not even 500 million) and we been hearing this since early 2000 lol. And what auto industry? Are you for real. U do realize bringing indian motorcycle parts and assemble in bd dont make u any one in auto industry right.

Only export item cross 1 billion is cotton underwear and some leather export which making havoc on environment.
Just curious on one thing in India, your online scamming income should be in big. I have no doubt you guys are the biggest scam driven earners in the world. In Sydney in recent weeks I had no less than 5 calls from your kind.

My questions are
1. What is indias total income from scam industry?

2. Is indias scam industry earn more than Bangladesh's total export?

3. What sort of assistance Indian government provide to the scam industry?

4. What is the training called that makes these scammers shameless and lack remorse when scamming and stealing money from the elderly?

5. What amount of people do the scam industry employ?

India is at an enviable position in worldwide scam activity. I doubt any country in the world dare to even do 1% of what they do. lack of moral, shame, upbringing has brough india this fame, you should be proud of this industry hope you keep the position for ever.

Just curious on one thing in India, your online scamming income should be in big. I have no doubt you guys are the biggest scam driven earners in the world. In Sydney in recent weeks I had no less than 5 calls from your kind.

My questions are

4. What is the training called that makes these scammers shameless and lack remorse when scamming and stealing money from the elderly?

India is at an enviable position in worldwide scam activity. I doubt any country in the world dare to even do 1% of what they do. lack of moral, shame, upbringing has brough india this fame, you should be proud of this industry hope you keep the position for ever.
Illegal Bangladeshis who come to India by jumping fences do these kind of work.

My questions are
Very less , nothing significant. It dosen't get counted in any economic survey .
Defintely not. But india's IT exports (legitimate IT exports) are worth some 149 Billion dollars which I am sure is larger than Bangladesh's entire 50 Billion exports ( mostly textiles)
Indian Government dosen't use them nor does it need them. They have much more professional and qualified people to do their jobs .
Find one and ask one .
Much much Less than those working hard day and night to earn their living.
Actually , india's neighbors are infamous for scamming too . China and pakistan included.

Without fdi and tech trasfer bd will remain what it is today. Bunch of sweat shop factories selling cheap cotton products in deep discounts.

keep praying poor migrants from middle east keep sending money on official channels.

Its not 480 billion lol. Why does bd ppl love to brag. Its not even 400 billion considering dollar is now close to taka 100. Bd net fdi is 3 billion? Its not.

And for say its 3 billion where its going. Mostly in power sector investment from China state back companies and rest are going to same underwear sweat shop industry. Some might be intercompany trasfer through mnc but they mostly reinvest what they make from bd. Not fresh investment.

Almost all asian countries have better track record. You think bd is some sort of economic super star lol. Difference is most asian countries move up lot faster on diversification because they were successful when it comes to fdi and knowledge trasfer. From china to thailand to Korea same example again and again.

I find it hillarious sweat shop owners now advertise on cnn for better branding. Good luck with that. U can't teach a old dog new tricks. Bd sweat stops have a reputation being low paid shit working conditions wont change with bunch of ads on cnn.

Where BD will remain that can be seen but where BD is now that nobody even thought of it. Bangladesh has overtaken both Pakistan and India in terms of per capita gdp which was unthinkable even a decade ago.

FDI and tech transfer doesn’t happen overnight. Bangladesh is meeting the requirements that is required for attracting high level FDI. Already many countries have shown interest for large scale investments. So many news are posted in this forum.

No one is fool enough to show such interest or give large scale loans if a particular country doesn’t have the capability to pay back.

I guess you don’t read fully that’s why whining on the total GDP. I said this July this will be 480 billion USD as base year is upgrading to 2015. With this rate by 2030-2035 Bangladesh will be well over a trillion dollar economy that’s too small for anyone to ignore.

No country develop itself overnight. Whichever Asian countries you are referring they also had to go through same process or they started with higher base. In fact I am not aware of any country that were under colonialism for 100-200 years have developed already or growing as fast as Bangladesh.

Regarding your whining on sweat shop again and again it doesn’t change the fact that Bangladesh has some of the worlds largest RMG and condition is better than many other countries. Not only that RMG industry has created job opportunity for many unskilled woman with no expertise which helped them to come out of poverty and they would have had very few option for earning livelihood.

As long as Bangladesh’s earning on RMG is increasing every year all these doesn’t matter. It’s evident that all the top brands of the world are investing in Bangladesh.

Illegal Bangladeshis who come to India by jumping fences do these kind of work.

Dada faaltu post dia nijer shomman-ta nijei komailen. Kono dorkar chhilo na.

Most of the scammer operations (that I have seen on YT publicized) are based in new town in Kolkata near the airport but some are based in Salt Lake too.

I have no idea why federal and state law and order people in Kolkata (ED, Police) do not take action. Someone is one the take for sure.

Here's the Godrej Genesis building in Salt Lake (Kolkata) which has been a scammer business HQ for a while.

Here's the YT video where the hacker that confronted the scammers found out about their location.

The guy's channel is full of videos where he "outs" these scammers.

Kolkata is a hotbed of this kind of activity because ED and police enforcement is fairly lax in that city.

Here's another scam call center in Rohini Sector Three (New Delhi?),

Anyhow let's not hijack the thread. We should discuss this somewhere else....

Last edited:
Have you looked at his post? He is spewing venom. I just silenced him.

Internet e silence ke karey kortey parey? Luv nai.

Post pasand nahoiley 'ignore' dia den. Best policy.

Paroshporik Shabdik bakyoban ar kada chhorachhuri koira faida nai.

Dada faaltu post dia nijer shomman-ta nijei komailen. Kono dorkar chhilo na.

Most of the scammer operations (that I have seen on YT publicized) are based in new town in Kolkata near the airport but some are based in Salt Lake too.

I have no idea why federal and state law and order people in Kolkata (ED, Police) do not take action. Someone is one the take for sure.

Here's the Godrej Genesis building in Salt Lake (Kolkata) which has been a scammer business HQ for a while.

Here's the YT video where the hacker that confronted the scammers found out about their location.

The guy's channel is full of videos where he "outs" these scammers.

Kolkata is a hotbed of this kind of activity because ED and police enforcement is fairly lax in that city.

Here's another scam call center in Rohini Sector Three (New Delhi?),

Anyhow let's not hijack the thread. We should discuss this somewhere else....
You read my mind! :rofl::dance3:
Upon reading Pikku babu's post, I was also thinking of Scammer Payback.

They love regurgitating the BS BD migrant narrative to feel good about their own miseries.

Back
Top Bottom