What's new

PM oks $1bn deal with US for 4 Poseidons

proud_indian

Reaction score
Country
India

New Delhi: The India-US strategic clinch continues to get tighter. Soon after the two finalised the bilateral military logistics pact, the US has bagged yet another mega arms deal to reassert its status as India's largest weapons supplier in recent years.

Defence ministry sources on Friday said the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), chaired by PM Narendra Modi, has cleared the acquisition of four Poseidon-8I longrange surveillance and antisubmarine warfare aircraft at a cost of over $1 billion. "The contract will be inked with Boeing in the next few days. The first P-8I will be delivered to the Navy within three years," said a source. The four new P-8I aircraft, packed with radars and weapons, will join the first eight such aircraft inducted by the Navy in 2013-2015 under a $2.1 billion deal.

The Navy is using the eight P-8Is, armed with deadly Harpoon Block-II missiles, MK-54 lightweight torpedoes, rockets and depth charges, to keep an "intelligent hawk-eye" over the entire Indian Ocean Region, which has witnessed stepped-up Chinese submarine forays over the last two years. With an operating range of 1,200 nautical miles, "with four hours on station", the P-8Is provide the reach and flexibility to undertake extensive maritime surveillance and intelligence-gathering missions.

They can detect "threats" in India's immediate and extended areas of interest and neutralise them if required. The CCS approval comes after the defence ministry last week also cleared acquisition of 145 M-777 ultra-light howitzers from the US. The Army wants these 155mm/39calibre howitzers as they can be swiftly airlifted to "threatened high-altitude areas" along the 4,057-km Line of Actual Control with China.

The US, of course, is now also aggressively hawking its fighter jets — the twin-engine F/A-18 "Super Hornet" (Boeing) or the single-engine F-16 "Fighting Falcon" (Lockheed Martin) — for the Make in India programme.

As earlier reported by TOI, the Pentagonaviation majors combine had made detailed presentations to the Indian defence establishment in April for the proposed fighter production line. US under secretary of defence Frank Kendall is leading a top Pentagon-industry delegation to New Delhi again this month for further talks.

This comes after India said it wanted "a much higher level" of transfer of technology (ToT) than the "limited" one on offer. Incidentally, Swedish defence firm Saab has also submitted a detailed proposal, with "attractive ToT", for manufacture of its latest Gripen-E fighter in India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...h-US-for-4-Poseidons/articleshow/53015224.cms

New Delhi: The India-US strategic clinch continues to get tighter. Soon after the two finalised the bilateral military logistics pact, the US has bagged yet another mega arms deal to reassert its status as India's largest weapons supplier in recent years.

Defence ministry sources on Friday said the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), chaired by PM Narendra Modi, has cleared the acquisition of four Poseidon-8I longrange surveillance and antisubmarine warfare aircraft at a cost of over $1 billion. "The contract will be inked with Boeing in the next few days. The first P-8I will be delivered to the Navy within three years," said a source. The four new P-8I aircraft, packed with radars and weapons, will join the first eight such aircraft inducted by the Navy in 2013-2015 under a $2.1 billion deal.

The Navy is using the eight P-8Is, armed with deadly Harpoon Block-II missiles, MK-54 lightweight torpedoes, rockets and depth charges, to keep an "intelligent hawk-eye" over the entire Indian Ocean Region, which has witnessed stepped-up Chinese submarine forays over the last two years. With an operating range of 1,200 nautical miles, "with four hours on station", the P-8Is provide the reach and flexibility to undertake extensive maritime surveillance and intelligence-gathering missions.

They can detect "threats" in India's immediate and extended areas of interest and neutralise them if required. The CCS approval comes after the defence ministry last week also cleared acquisition of 145 M-777 ultra-light howitzers from the US. The Army wants these 155mm/39calibre howitzers as they can be swiftly airlifted to "threatened high-altitude areas" along the 4,057-km Line of Actual Control with China.

The US, of course, is now also aggressively hawking its fighter jets — the twin-engine F/A-18 "Super Hornet" (Boeing) or the single-engine F-16 "Fighting Falcon" (Lockheed Martin) — for the Make in India programme.

As earlier reported by TOI, the Pentagonaviation majors combine had made detailed presentations to the Indian defence establishment in April for the proposed fighter production line. US under secretary of defence Frank Kendall is leading a top Pentagon-industry delegation to New Delhi again this month for further talks.

This comes after India said it wanted "a much higher level" of transfer of technology (ToT) than the "limited" one on offer. Incidentally, Swedish defence firm Saab has also submitted a detailed proposal, with "attractive ToT", for manufacture of its latest Gripen-E fighter in India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...h-US-for-4-Poseidons/articleshow/53015224.cms
Awesome News now add f18 and growler it will be final nail in China hegemony plan in south Asia and south china sea

Now, if we can get MQ4, that would greatly enhance our tracking capability. Hopefully we can get around the hurdel and get access to such techs.
This exactly, the MQ-4Cs are the real need of the hour for the IN.

I have no idea why the hype is around the MQ-9 Guardian for the IN when it comes with capabilities the IN already has with their Heron-TP MALE UAVs.

Awesome News now add f18 and growler it will be final nail in China hegemony plan in south Asia and south china sea
Why only American products can do that? The Rafales are coming.

12 should be fine, we need indigenous system in future DRDO is buying A330 for local AWACS program navy should also ask for P8 local substitute based on A330.

I don't think we have any indigenous anti-submarine warfare systems like P8i.

DRDO AWACS is completely different project. AWACS is "AIRBORNE WARNING and CONTROL SYSTEM" is mainly used for tracking flying objects in air. However it can be used to detect above surface ships and surveillance also.

P8I is specifically designed for anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare and shipping interdiction.

These two systems are different but they also complement each other.

few more years and IOR will be fully secured with Indian Poseidons.

Good news for Pakistan also now India is in deep trouble of sanctions prone zone. They will control your politicians, your army like they did to us. They will use Indian soil against chinese against their will and IF war between the two who cares India and China will destroy each other while US enjoyin Xmass.
they can only do that when you get such stuff for free under US AID and Coilation Support Fund & War Remitences and your economy is totally dependent on US economy for grants and special pacage to save it from loan defaulting but USA cant do anything when you buy such stuff with hard cash and your internal economy is strong enof to deal with any situation ... hope you get it :sarcastic:

Now a days everything is on fast track that's the difference between the competent and incompetent govt. If some UAV's are complemented to this system its an added advantage. Hope it will also be materialized soon.

Plz IAF use common sense and say no to FGFA and Rafales. Go for F 35 and more weaponize Drones will be commonsense

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom