What's new

PM Imran says 'establishment' gave him three options: resignation, no-confidence vote or elections

PM Imran says 'establishment' gave him three options: resignation, no-confidence vote or elections

Dawn.comPublished April 1, 2022 - Updated about 2 hours ago

Prime Minister Imran Khan during an interview to ARY News. Photo courtesy ARY News

Prime Minister Imran Khan during an interview to ARY News. Photo courtesy ARY News

Prime Minister Imran Khan revealed on Friday that the "establishment" had given him three options: "resignation, no-confidence [vote] or elections", following the filing of a no-confidence motion against him in the National Assembly.

He shared this during an interview to ARY News, which was aired on Friday, while responding to questions about whether the opposition, government or "another party" had proposed early elections and his resignation as options.

The premier said when he was presented with the three options, "We said elections is the best option, I cannot even think about resigning and as far as the no-confidence vote is concerned, I believe in fighting till the end."

Pointing out that several members of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf had defected to the opposition ahead of the no-trust vote, the premier explained that even if the opposition's no-trust move failed, "We cannot run the government with such people (defectors)."

So, he said, "it will be better for Pakistan if we hold elections again."

Asked whether he was prepared to go for early elections, he replied, "If we win [in] this [no-confidence] vote, it is a very good idea to go for early elections."

To a question about what would the government's strategy be in case the opposition's no-trust motion fails, he answered, "We will make a strategy [in the coming days]."

'There's threat to my life'​

Earlier in the interview, the premier said there was a threat to his life, claiming that those conspiring to topple his government were "scared knowing that even if he is ousted, the public will continue to support him".

"I am saying this openly that there is a threat to my life," he said.

"They, all those who have colluded [against me], know that I will not sit silently," the prime minister went on, adding, "What do they think? They will spend Rs20 billion, Rs25 billion and topple my government and I will watch silently?"

"This is why I am saying openly, there is a threat to my life."

The prime minister's statement comes hours after Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said a plot to assassinate Prime Minister Imran Khan had been reported by security agencies.

Earlier this week, PTI leader Faisal Vawda had made similar claims, stating that a conspiracy was being hatched to assassinate the prime minister over his refusal to "sell the country".

Vawda had made the remarks on ARY News show "Off the Record" in response to a question about a letter PM Imran brandished at the PTI's March 27 power show in Islamabad, claiming it contained "evidence of a "foreign conspiracy" to topple his government.

He said there was a threat to the prime minister's life but remained evasive when asked whether the purported conspiracy to assassinate the premier was mentioned in the letter.

When PM Imran Khan confirmed this in his interview, he said his life was under threat because he did not suit those involved in the conspiracy as well as "people like Shehbaz Sharif, who polishes boots" and "are slaves to money".
The premier added that people like PML-N President Shehbaz had no public support.

Without naming anyone, he continued, "They are afraid of people who have public support. They are talking about assassination because they know that if he (PM Imran) is ousted from the government, he will still be relevant because the public is with him."

"Then they go for the other option. Look at the history," PM Imran said, adding that "they will try their best through local collaborators, the three stooges" — a term he uses to refer to Shehbaz, PPP co-chair Asif Ali Zardari and Pakistan Democratic Movement chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman.

The prime minister further claimed that a campaign would also be initiated for his "character assassination", adding that his wife, Bushra Bibi, and one of her associates named Farah would also be targeted.

'Knew about the conspiracy since Aug'​

Earlier in the interview, the prime minister revealed that he was aware of the "conspiracy" being hatched to oust his government since August last year.

"I had an idea since August and I also knew that planning was ongoing in London," he said, adding that he had also informed his cabinet back then that the coming "winter would be a very difficult time for us".

He said he also had reports from agencies in this regard, as he went to name PML-N supremo as one of the persons involved in the conspiracy.

"He (Nawaz Sharif) was meeting people, people like Hussain Haqqani [...] who was involved in memogate. They were in constant touch," he alleged, claiming that Nawaz had held the last meeting in this regard on March 3. "And we received this document (a letter he claims has evidence of a foreign conspiracy to topple his government) on March 7."

The prime minister went on to say that people who had colluded in this purported conspiracy were also against the Pakistan Army, adding that "Pakistan has been surviving because of its army."

"And Nawaz Sharif and his daughter have openly railed against the army," he remarked.

The prime minister further alleged that the joint opposition was making efforts to oust his government in order to get an NRO (amnesty).

"But I will never give them an NRO," he expressed his resolve.

Moreover, he said "external powers" needed "robbers and thugs ... and the corrupt who become their slaves to save their corruption".

He further claimed that the "threat letter" said if Imran Khan was ousted through the no-confidence vote, the foreign powers involved in the conspiracy would "forgive Pakistan".

"But if he survives the no-confidence vote, there will be dire consequences for Pakistan and we will isolate Imran Khan," he added. "How do they know that the new government will work [well] with them? ... This means that they had a connection with them (opposition). This means that this conspiracy is being hatched for the past six months."

He went on to say that some PTI members who had defected, people from the opposition and media persons had been meeting with officials at "embassies".

"I had all the reports," he said.

To a question about whether his recent visits to China and Russia had "fast-paced the process of regime change against him", he compared Pakistan's foreign policy to that of India.

"During the Cold War between America and the Soviet Union, they (India) remained non-aligned. They were close to the Soviet Union" but they still maintained ties with the US.

"And because of their (India's) foreign policy, see how is the Indian passport respected in comparison to Pakistan's," he added. "When you are a self-respecting nation, others respect you as well. But we continued to change blocs," he lamented.

He further lambasted the previous governments for allowing drone attacks in the country during America's war on terror.

'No differences on ISI chief's appointment'​

In response to a question about civil-military relations with respect to "an appointment in October" — which was an apparent reference to the appointment of a new Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) director general — the prime minister said, "We were all on one page. We had no differences"

He said he had no issues with the military leadership unlike past leaders, who were "scared of the army because of their corruption".

When the anchorperson specifically named the former ISI chief, Gen Faiz Hameed, asking whether the premier wanted him to continue as the spymaster because he was his favourite, PM Imran said he had worked with Gen Faiz for three years and he knew that the winter of 2021 winter "will the most difficult time for us".

Citing economic difficulties and the situation in Afghanistan after the US exit, he said "I was insisting on him (Gen Faiz) continuing till winter as he was experienced".

"They had their own view, which was that there was a system in the army. They had their own perspective and I had mine. But I wasn’t thinking about who will be the new army chief," he clarified.

He also denied reports that he intended to de-notify Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa as the army chief and said it was "the PML-N's disinformation campaign".

Meanwhile the Establishment has approached media houses and presented their version as well, which is going directly against the Prime Minister's.

All of you going off your rocker in support of PTI are doing Pakistan a disservice. These options were not "news" to PMIK/PTI. They already knew these are the only 3 constitutional options available. So if the establishment is re-iterating the same, are we to assume that PMIK is being dictated to by the establishment?? Does he not know those are the only options on the table?

I think some of the malign media is doing what it does best. They continue to seed more discord because these bastards don't want to portray the context for what it is. NSC met, meeting minutes/communique from the ambassador got discussed, options got discussed. All of the establishment (bureaucracy and the military) were in that meeting and suggested the three options at this juncture.

So what else is the establishment to do? The demarche was sent to the USG as per the NSC decision. Do members expect the military to impose ML in IK's favor?
I thought the military's job was to protect the borders, who the hell appointed them to mediate between political parties?

PM said "establishment" is the same like saying "You know Who" or "He Who Must Not Be Named", in Harry Potter series.

It is genuinely so embarrassing to see that how blatantly the Prime Minister - the Chief Executive of the country is talking about establishment - clearly admitting the fact that the said government institutions are involved in political maneuvering and manipulation which is clearly going beyond their domain. Only in Pakistan, a grade 21 officer will go and tell the PM the three options he has. Only in Pakistan, a government servant whose salary is paid by the tax payer is more powerful than the elected representative of the SAME people. Hilarious and tragic at the same time. Imran Khan deserves this, he was brought in by polishing boots, the same thing he accuses others. All are the same. Pathetic thirsty for power.

Not thirsty of power, more like afraid to fight the "establishment"

Bhutto was hanged but Bhutto ajj bhi zinda hai. What you are demanding will create more enemies inside. I don't know in which world PTI fans are living. They should understand many people support other parties and if you think by your logic things will be better go ahead and try that.

Party with 517,408 demanding CM of Punjab from the party with 16,903,702. They are blackmailing IK. One and only option is elections and get back with majority.

image.png
Bhutto sirf choron, lootairon aur ghaddaron kay dil mein zinda hai...

Nobody came out on the streets when that ba$tard was hanged...

People are losing it and are applying anti army angle to everything. It's quite concerning how misinformation and rumours are making people completely loose rational thinking at this point. There's no evidence for anything so far and people quick to point fingers without knowing any facts, jumping to conclusions and behaving like patwaris and jiyalas it's a disgrace tbh, we're supposed to be better than them..

What if the NCM fails and they're rumours are proven to be wrong, what then?

Why establishment doesn't foil attempts of foreign puppets when it is now confirmed in National Security Meeting that that foreign threat is real and serious?

IK supporters have been closely following political circus since 2013.

We know what delaying/diversion tactic is.

Imran Khan in his Arshad Sharif interview told that he was aware of foreign interference since October 2021, there had been US Ambassadors meeting with PPP/PMLN members, Bilawal visited US, Nawaz Sharif meets with Israel/UK/AFGH ambassadors........and voila suddenly No-Confidence motion is born.

What were they doing for 3.5 years when IK was going through serious tough times with economy (thanks to financial terrorism by PMLN Ishaq Dar)? Our foreign reserves were in negative, current account deficit, trade deficit, IPPs were causing billions in losses, Reko Diq .. the list is infinite.

Now when the hard part is done, some people in establishment want to reimpose the looters and plunderers to please their foreign masters? Sorry not accepted.

Imran Khan must complete 5 years term.

Whats your take on the situation including "neutrality"
My take. And of course it’s my personal opinion. They were not neutral but on board (even if partially) to bring IK down.

Now they are in damage control mode after the backlash.

You don’t call people up and tell them when you really are neutral: *wink*wink* I am neutral, did you hear I am neutral *wink*wink*

Why establishment doesn't foil attempts of foreign puppets when it is now confirmed in National Security Meeting that that foreign threat is real and serious?

Imran Khan in his Arshad Sharif interview told that he was aware of foreign interference since October 2021, there had been US Ambassadors meeting with PPP/PMLN members, Bilawal visited US, Nawaz Sharif meets with Israel/UK/AFGH ambassadors........and voila suddenly No-Confidence motion is born.

What were they doing for 3.5 years when IK was going through serious tough times with economy (thanks to financial terrorism by PMLN Ishaq Dar)? Our foreign reserves were in negative, current account deficit, trade deficit, IPPs were causing billions in losses, Reko Diq .. the list is infinite.

Now when the hard part is done, some people in establishment want to reimpose the looters and plunderers to please their foreign masters? Sorry not accepted.

Beleive these narratives if you want to, it's not an accurate assessment of the ground reality at all. We'll see on 6th April what happens

Bt if you want to live in a fools paradise then go for it and are unwittingly falling for this then honestly I won't counter you and anyone with your views

We cannot go backwards. Even 3 months of opposition rule they will buy off every institution and corrupt and fix the elections.

It is better to take the blow back and article 6 them all and sentence them then hold fresh elections with a clean opposition after Khan's term ends.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a journalist just a regular forum poster conveying my opinion.

This is my final conclusion after listening to obviously umpteen numbers of shows, tweets, interviews, and salim bokhari on khabarhaar.
  • When Imran Khan sent back the letter of appointment of DG ISI that is when the fight started (apparently it is in the DNA of the army that once the letter is issued it's not taken back)
  • After that, there were probably a couple of more scenarios where IK decided to not take the Army on board, I cannot name them exactly but Absolutely not is NOT one of them.
  • The establishment probably tried to get back in touch when all of the NCM talks started a few months ago and because the intelligence agencies were providing information about the meetings of Americans with various opposition leaders.
  • The establishment probably foresaw something and wanted to sit down to plan the future strategy with IK but IK wanted to concentrate on the economy in the winter so he unknowingly or knowingly did not engage with the establishment (again the saria problem IK has)
  • Basically, IK thought he could ride the wave on his own and probably in good faith as well wanted the establishment to stay away from politics and keep doing what they are responsible for.
  • I think, IK did not realize the gravity of the situation early enough and the so-called angry MNA was a surprise he never foresaw. He didn't expect so many people to sell themselves.
  • The establishment has never taken this letter seriously and still don't because these sort of cables are normal, only this time they had more threatening wording
  • IK did share the letter with the establishment but instead of engaging with them on the next steps he decided to play it as a TRUMP CARD and only showed it in the jalsa first time and when the establishment realized that the shit will fall on them when turd will hit the fan, they decided to act and as we all know those meetings that took place 3 times a day, IHC conveying to PM not to show the content and basically seal the details of the letter
  • The establishment still does not consider the letter a threat and consequently, there is no proof of foreign funding or phone calls so they cannot do anything. They are however making sure the PM is protected from any assassination plan
  • Finally, someone managed to convince IK to contact the establishment but it was too late for mediation so only 3 options were presented which are clear from the interview today.
So my conclusion is that IK was more at fault here for not concentrating enough on his party and trying to go it all alone. I do not condone what the opposition has done by buying the MNAs from foreign funding but it just seems like IK was too busy fighting off economical issues and didn't see the alarm bells soon enough. Naive AF.

My conclusive perspectives
As Imran Khan: He is unable to convince the establishment or anyone else who is important that a foreign hand is involved and therefore he is presented with 3 outs. 2 of them are actionable, either fight the NCV or announce elections but it seems like it is too late for the second option now only NCV will make or break him.

As The Establishment: It does seem like they were neutral all along and IK left it too late to go to them for any sort of constitutional strategy to occur. They only acted when they felt they will be blamed when the letter was outed by IK in jalsa and even then it was too late to offer any strong support to the government.

As the opposition: Questions still remain about how they got funded and the nod of approval to bring the NCV. Also, they managed to turn so many ittehadis. What exactly do they have that is so hard to reject for these sold-out MNAs and ittehadis.

Personally, I still think if the letter mentions the time of NCV, this should ring alarm bells for the establishment to take action. This is my wish they should act to make this NCV unsuccessful because surely even they can see the other side has the same people who have plundered the resources and who have corruption cases against every one of them. They tried to be neutral it seems and if now they were to make the so-called "calls" everyone will know Bajwa once again helped IK. But i hope they do make those calls.

Beleive these narratives if you want to, it's not an accurate assessment of the ground reality at all. We'll see on 6th April what happens

Bt if you want to live in a fools paradise then go for it and are unwittingly falling for this then honestly I won't counter you and anyone with your views

Sir jee. Ap ki baat sir ankhon pe.

I know there are things which can't be discussed on this forum for greater interest of country.

Lekin muhib-e-watan Pakistaniyon se saath mazaq na kiya jaye. We're equally patriotic as the people in establishment.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a journalist just a regular forum poster conveying my opinion.

This is my final conclusion after listening to obviously umpteen numbers of shows, tweets, interviews, and salim bokhari on khabarhaar.
  • When Imran Khan sent back the letter of appointment of DG ISI that is when the fight started (apparently it is in the DNA of the army that once the letter is issued it's not taken back)
  • After that, there were probably a couple of more scenarios where IK decided to not take the Army on board, I cannot name them exactly but Absolutely not is NOT one of them.
  • The establishment probably tried to get back in touch when all of the NCM talks started a few months ago and because the intelligence agencies were providing information about the meetings of Americans with various opposition leaders.
  • The establishment probably foresaw something and wanted to sit down to plan the future strategy with IK but IK wanted to concentrate on the economy in the winter so he unknowingly or knowingly did not engage with the establishment (again the saria problem IK has)
  • Basically, IK thought he could ride the wave on his own and probably in good faith as well wanted the establishment to stay away from politics and keep doing what they are responsible for.
  • I think, IK did not realize the gravity of the situation early enough and the so-called angry MNA was a surprise he never foresaw. He didn't expect so many people to sell themselves.
  • The establishment has never taken this letter seriously and still don't because these sort of cables are normal, only this time they had more threatening wording
  • IK did share the letter with the establishment but instead of engaging with them on the next steps he decided to play it as a TRUMP CARD and only showed it in the jalsa first time and when the establishment realized that the shit will fall on them when turd will hit the fan, they decided to act and as we all know those meetings that took place 3 times a day, IHC conveying to PM not to show the content and basically seal the details of the letter
  • The establishment still does not consider the letter a threat and consequently, there is no proof of foreign funding or phone calls so they cannot do anything. They are however making sure the PM is protected from any assassination plan
  • Finally, someone managed to convince IK to contact the establishment but it was too late for mediation so only 3 options were presented which are clear from the interview today.
So my conclusion is that IK was more at fault here for not concentrating enough on his party and trying to go it all alone. I do not condone what the opposition has done by buying the MNAs from foreign funding but it just seems like IK was too busy fighting off economical issues and didn't see the alarm bells soon enough. Naive AF.

As Imran Khan: He is unable to convince the establishment or anyone else who is important that a foreign hand is involved and therefore he is presented with 3 outs. 2 of them are actionable, either fight the NCV or announce elections but it seems like it is too late for the second option now only NCV will make or break him.

As The Establishment: It does seem like they were neutral all along and IK left it too late to go to them for any sort of constitutional strategy to occur. They only acted when they felt they will be blamed when the letter was outed by IK in jalsa and even then it was too late to offer any strong support to the government.

As the opposition: Questions still remain about how they got funded and the nod of approval to bring the NCV. Also, they managed to turn so many ittehadis. What exactly do they have that is so hard to reject for these sold-out MNAs and ittehadis.

Personally, I still think if the letter mentions the time of NCV, this should ring alarm bells for the establishment to take action. This is my wish they should act to make this NCV unsuccessful because surely even they can see the other side has the same people who have plundered the resources and who have corruption cases against every one of them. They tried to be neutral it seems and if now they were to make the so-called "calls" everyone will know Bajwa once again helped IK. But i hope they do make those calls.
Now this is a reasonable balanced take

Sir jee. Ap ki baat sir ankhon pe.

I know there are things which can't be discussed on this forum for greater interest of country.

Lekin muhib-e-watan Pakistaniyon se saath mazaq na kiya jaye. We're equally patriotic as the people in establishment.
If IK wins NCV will you take your words back? Will anyone take any sort of accountability if Ik actually wins NCV for the misinformation they've been spreading for the past 1 month???

Now this is a reasonable balanced take

Kuch nahi hoga to IK. If he wins NCV will you take your words back? Will anyone take any sort of accountability if Ik actually wins NCV for the misinformation they've been spreading for the past 1 month???

I will take all my words back if Imran Khan stays PM for 5 years.

Tick Tock till Sunday​

Fahd Husain
11 hr ago
There is a frenetic calm in the capital city.
It is a calm that comes with this city having witnessed too many governments come and go with rhythmic instability borne of yawn-inducing predictability. As the PTI government prepares to pack up its bags – yes the inevitable has sunk in – Islamabad reclines back to witness the cyclical process of our familiar ‘pass-the-power’ game.
Except, some things are different.
The stench emanating from power play is so much more noxious this time. If the convulsion is greater, so is the revulsion. The Red Zone is being subjected to a tumult that has a certain menace to it – a menace laced in malice that cuts through institutional and constitutional stability like acid burning through soft flesh. The scars will not heal easily.
As the clock ticks it way towards Sunday, and as time reinforces the mortality of those who sported delusions of perpetuity in power, gloves are coming of. So are the masks. Exposed from beneath is the hideousness of petty ambition, misplaced arrogance and feigned confidence. As the fall begins in agonizingly slow but painfully deliberate motion, the meltdown of those in power, and of those who danced around those in power, is a spectacle to see.
But it’s a sad spectacle. The desperation in their eyes, the panic on their faces and the fear – ah yes the fear that always accompanies a fall from grace – that fear, visible in every word that escapes their lips, all this resembles a Shakespearean tragedy being played out with modern-day characters. The tragedy though is not the inevitable self-destruction of yet another group of people who believed themselves to be the ultimate saviours; the tragedy is not even the ruination of yet another edifice of expectations fabricated so lovingly by naïve and gullible people – no ladies and gentlemen – the real tragedy is that this system continues to catapult men and women with feet of clay to positions of authority; positions that demand far more than they can deliver. The fall of Imran Khan has not auto-corrected this ingrained fault in the system.
Which is why today here inside the Red Zone you can sense a resigned feeling of inevitability that accompanies every change of a government. The cycle of win-lose-win-lose continues to spin. What awaits us beyond this Sunday is all-to-familiar. It is the end of the Imran Khan government, but it is the beginning of a process that will now churn out more stuff about the Imran Khan government - stuff that will not shed too favourable a light on the Imran Khan government. That is how it is done in this system.
The House, as they say, always wins.
Back then it was Nawaz Sharif’s turn to experience the wrong end of the stick. Today it is Imran Khan’s. Brace now for the stories to emerge. You didn’t know what was happening in Punjab these Usman Buzdar years? Now you will. You didn’t realise who was on the take and who was not? Now you will. You didn’t know which federal minister in Islamabad awarded which contracts to which friends in return for what incentives? Now you will. You didn’t know who had a recording of whom in the government and what that recording actually recorded? Now you will. And you didn’t know – you actually didn’t know – who really gained from the various scandals and in what way – well, get ready because now you will. And that too in Technicolor.
The gravy train ran thick and fast. Like it does in all governments. But the real flavour of this gravy comes out when the government is dragged down, kicked around and ‘un-governmental-ised’ by the new sheriff in town. Shutter down your windows and bolt up your doors – unless, of course, you would enjoy witnessing this beating.
Power gives you the Iron Man suit. The opposition is readying to suit up. Will there be vengeance? The verdict is split for now. Unlike the outgoing government, the incoming one has ‘been-there-done-that’. These men and women are accustomed to power and the levers that come along with it. They have been on the wrong side of it these last many years, and that has chastened them. Yet, some have blood in their eyes.
Turbulence is in the air. The stench of power play is nauseating. But the circle of life continues inside the Red Zone as Sunday approaches with peril and promise.

The whole argument is based on hypothesis and assumptions.

Back
Top Bottom