What's new

PM Imran says 'establishment' gave him three options: resignation, no-confidence vote or elections

PM Imran says 'establishment' gave him three options: resignation, no-confidence vote or elections

Dawn.comPublished April 1, 2022 - Updated about 2 hours ago

Prime Minister Imran Khan during an interview to ARY News. Photo courtesy ARY News

Prime Minister Imran Khan during an interview to ARY News. Photo courtesy ARY News

Prime Minister Imran Khan revealed on Friday that the "establishment" had given him three options: "resignation, no-confidence [vote] or elections", following the filing of a no-confidence motion against him in the National Assembly.

He shared this during an interview to ARY News, which was aired on Friday, while responding to questions about whether the opposition, government or "another party" had proposed early elections and his resignation as options.

The premier said when he was presented with the three options, "We said elections is the best option, I cannot even think about resigning and as far as the no-confidence vote is concerned, I believe in fighting till the end."

Pointing out that several members of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf had defected to the opposition ahead of the no-trust vote, the premier explained that even if the opposition's no-trust move failed, "We cannot run the government with such people (defectors)."

So, he said, "it will be better for Pakistan if we hold elections again."

Asked whether he was prepared to go for early elections, he replied, "If we win [in] this [no-confidence] vote, it is a very good idea to go for early elections."

To a question about what would the government's strategy be in case the opposition's no-trust motion fails, he answered, "We will make a strategy [in the coming days]."

'There's threat to my life'​

Earlier in the interview, the premier said there was a threat to his life, claiming that those conspiring to topple his government were "scared knowing that even if he is ousted, the public will continue to support him".

"I am saying this openly that there is a threat to my life," he said.

"They, all those who have colluded [against me], know that I will not sit silently," the prime minister went on, adding, "What do they think? They will spend Rs20 billion, Rs25 billion and topple my government and I will watch silently?"

"This is why I am saying openly, there is a threat to my life."

The prime minister's statement comes hours after Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said a plot to assassinate Prime Minister Imran Khan had been reported by security agencies.

Earlier this week, PTI leader Faisal Vawda had made similar claims, stating that a conspiracy was being hatched to assassinate the prime minister over his refusal to "sell the country".

Vawda had made the remarks on ARY News show "Off the Record" in response to a question about a letter PM Imran brandished at the PTI's March 27 power show in Islamabad, claiming it contained "evidence of a "foreign conspiracy" to topple his government.

He said there was a threat to the prime minister's life but remained evasive when asked whether the purported conspiracy to assassinate the premier was mentioned in the letter.

When PM Imran Khan confirmed this in his interview, he said his life was under threat because he did not suit those involved in the conspiracy as well as "people like Shehbaz Sharif, who polishes boots" and "are slaves to money".
The premier added that people like PML-N President Shehbaz had no public support.

Without naming anyone, he continued, "They are afraid of people who have public support. They are talking about assassination because they know that if he (PM Imran) is ousted from the government, he will still be relevant because the public is with him."

"Then they go for the other option. Look at the history," PM Imran said, adding that "they will try their best through local collaborators, the three stooges" — a term he uses to refer to Shehbaz, PPP co-chair Asif Ali Zardari and Pakistan Democratic Movement chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman.

The prime minister further claimed that a campaign would also be initiated for his "character assassination", adding that his wife, Bushra Bibi, and one of her associates named Farah would also be targeted.

'Knew about the conspiracy since Aug'​

Earlier in the interview, the prime minister revealed that he was aware of the "conspiracy" being hatched to oust his government since August last year.

"I had an idea since August and I also knew that planning was ongoing in London," he said, adding that he had also informed his cabinet back then that the coming "winter would be a very difficult time for us".

He said he also had reports from agencies in this regard, as he went to name PML-N supremo as one of the persons involved in the conspiracy.

"He (Nawaz Sharif) was meeting people, people like Hussain Haqqani [...] who was involved in memogate. They were in constant touch," he alleged, claiming that Nawaz had held the last meeting in this regard on March 3. "And we received this document (a letter he claims has evidence of a foreign conspiracy to topple his government) on March 7."

The prime minister went on to say that people who had colluded in this purported conspiracy were also against the Pakistan Army, adding that "Pakistan has been surviving because of its army."

"And Nawaz Sharif and his daughter have openly railed against the army," he remarked.

The prime minister further alleged that the joint opposition was making efforts to oust his government in order to get an NRO (amnesty).

"But I will never give them an NRO," he expressed his resolve.

Moreover, he said "external powers" needed "robbers and thugs ... and the corrupt who become their slaves to save their corruption".

He further claimed that the "threat letter" said if Imran Khan was ousted through the no-confidence vote, the foreign powers involved in the conspiracy would "forgive Pakistan".

"But if he survives the no-confidence vote, there will be dire consequences for Pakistan and we will isolate Imran Khan," he added. "How do they know that the new government will work [well] with them? ... This means that they had a connection with them (opposition). This means that this conspiracy is being hatched for the past six months."

He went on to say that some PTI members who had defected, people from the opposition and media persons had been meeting with officials at "embassies".

"I had all the reports," he said.

To a question about whether his recent visits to China and Russia had "fast-paced the process of regime change against him", he compared Pakistan's foreign policy to that of India.

"During the Cold War between America and the Soviet Union, they (India) remained non-aligned. They were close to the Soviet Union" but they still maintained ties with the US.

"And because of their (India's) foreign policy, see how is the Indian passport respected in comparison to Pakistan's," he added. "When you are a self-respecting nation, others respect you as well. But we continued to change blocs," he lamented.

He further lambasted the previous governments for allowing drone attacks in the country during America's war on terror.

'No differences on ISI chief's appointment'​

In response to a question about civil-military relations with respect to "an appointment in October" — which was an apparent reference to the appointment of a new Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) director general — the prime minister said, "We were all on one page. We had no differences"

He said he had no issues with the military leadership unlike past leaders, who were "scared of the army because of their corruption".

When the anchorperson specifically named the former ISI chief, Gen Faiz Hameed, asking whether the premier wanted him to continue as the spymaster because he was his favourite, PM Imran said he had worked with Gen Faiz for three years and he knew that the winter of 2021 winter "will the most difficult time for us".

Citing economic difficulties and the situation in Afghanistan after the US exit, he said "I was insisting on him (Gen Faiz) continuing till winter as he was experienced".

"They had their own view, which was that there was a system in the army. They had their own perspective and I had mine. But I wasn’t thinking about who will be the new army chief," he clarified.

He also denied reports that he intended to de-notify Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa as the army chief and said it was "the PML-N's disinformation campaign".

Meanwhile the Establishment has approached media houses and presented their version as well, which is going directly against the Prime Minister's.

The west is not bringing PMLN and PPP for a party. They will demand a price and the price is keeping Pak military under constant pressure and continue with civil mil divide.

The west has made its mind that india is a natural leader of S.A and Pakistan must either accept is or prepare for consequences.

If Pakistan military is ok with being humiliated like they were with memo gate, dawn leaks, pathan kot fir, ajmal kasab admission by nawaz sharif, General Zaheer ul Islam's being directly accused of murdering Hamid Mir on national tv and much more than who are we to blame.

True. The military used to be treated like shoes before IK. It was frustrating when our government used to stay quiet when India used international forums to attack our army. Now they know IK will give a befitting reply. This is just fact

Its time the army grew a moral conscience because they will be soon be faced with a decision on which province to back once the opposition balkanize it.

Diesel - KPK

Sharif family - Punjab

Zardari family - Sindh

Bugti - Balochistan

FATA merges with Afg.

Kashmir is lost to India.

Are all the generals going to get on their first class flight out to the US to live happily ever after?

If you ask some questions... you would know reality of Bajwa.
  • Who took Nawaz out of Jails after being convicted twice? And then helped him leave the country with courts refusing to demand an assurance bond when Government of Pakistan wanted the courts to do that?
  • Who saved Shahbaz Sharif from going to jails with 56 personal companies scandal was exposed?
  • Who took Maryam Nawaz out of Jail (and is still outside) despite being guilty of forgery in the supreme court?
  • Why is Zardari not prosecuted? Infect not just Zardari but anyone from PPP at all...?
So Establishment is not as neutral as they want to be seen. They are neutral towards the corrupt and people who destroyed this country.

Think about it, what can the establishment benefit with IK in power, the retired elite assets will be targeted in the west, Pakistan would be blacklisted, this will bring Pakistan down to its knees, we will suffer economically.

Can IK offer a plan for Pakistan to survive. Will the anti west camp invest in Pakistan? Will they buy our exports? Will they sell us oil and gas at a good rate. Will they guarantee Pakistan will not be isolated and it will suffer?
38%+ of our exports are to the west.
30B of our remittes come from outside.
What can be the solution to this?
Charge tu batao...

On what basis will US impose sanctions on Pakistan?

Did we invade another country, did we launch terrorist attacks into US???

Charge tu batao...

On what basis will US impose sanctions on Pakistan?

Did we invade another country, did we launch terrorist attacks into US???

We were major non nato ally and now are in the grey list and might end up blacklisted, despite being with Usa for decades we still could not receive bvr missiles and f16 block 72s. My point is will the Pakistani government be able to find alternative investment than USA including exports.

Bhutto was hanged but Bhutto ajj bhi zinda hai. What you are demanding will create more enemies inside. I don't know in which world PTI fans are living. They should understand many people support other parties and if you think by your logic things will be better go ahead and try that.

Party with 517,408 demanding CM of Punjab from the party with 16,903,702. They are blackmailing IK. One and only option is elections and get back with majority.

image.png
Also shows parlimentary system is broken and not for pakistan

If you ask some questions... you would know reality of Bajwa.
  • Who took Nawaz out of Jails after being convicted twice? And then helped him leave the country with courts refusing to demand an assurance bond when Government of Pakistan wanted the courts to do that?
  • Who saved Shahbaz Sharif from going to jails with 56 personal companies scandal was exposed?
  • Who took Maryam Nawaz out of Jail (and is still outside) despite being guilty of forgery in the supreme court?
  • Why is Zardari not prosecuted? Infect not just Zardari but anyone from PPP at all...?
So Establishment is not as neutral as they want to be seen. They are neutral towards the corrupt and people who destroyed this country.
Lahore high court
Since govt cant do shit
And courts has executive power in this country

Establishment especially Bajwa regime is at the centre of vote of no confidence.
They couldn’t take international pressure and had to get rid of Khan
Thats probably the long game. If Imran khan goes out then there is no real leader set to take over Pakistan. So most likely, A military regime is going to take over for another 10-15 years..

We were major non nato ally and now are in the grey list and might end up blacklisted, despite being with Usa for decades we still could not receive bvr missiles and f16 block 72s. My point is will the Pakistani government be able to find alternative investment than USA including exports.
All that zalalat for not doing anything...

Aye Tair-e-lahooti iss rizq say maut achi...

Army generals need to start selling their properties in US asap and also move any funds in US bank accounts into crypto. Relocate your children to Dubai, Saudi, China. I know they are going to be upset and moan but the gravy train has to come to an end. Your time is up over there.

Army generals need to start selling their properties in US asap and also move any funds in US bank accounts into crypto. Relocate your children to Dubai, Saudi, China. I know they are going to be upset and moan but the gravy train has to come to an end. Your time is up over there.

What is the difference between Usa/Europe to China and areas like Hong-Kong. People just have the old mentality of west being the master and you being the slave. I would rather move to Hong-Kong.

What is the difference between Usa/Europe to China and areas like Hong-Kong. People just have the old mentality of west being the master and you being the slave. I would rather move to Hong-Kong.

Their kids grow up there and consider themselves as "American". Its a cultural thing. I would strongly advise them to start moving their assets out of the country ASAP before its too late.

Their kids grow up there and consider themselves as "American". Its a cultural thing. I would strongly advise them to start moving their assets out of the country ASAP before its too late.

They would disagree with you, they rather become American than Pakistanis, otherwise they would have already moved. Hong-Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Turkey would be excited destinations. At the end of the day its up to the Pakistani public, noone forces them to follow Nawaz Sharif or Zardari but they do it for benefits, they also dream of making maximum wealth without paying tax and then themselves would move wealth overseas. Every single PPP PMLN supporters knows these people hide wealth and do corruption but deep down they feel impressed by them, they too want to become wealthy.

If my analysis is incorrect then believe me no power on earth could remove IK, even if no confidence motion is successful, the public will pressurise the government to hold early elections and IK would be back at the PM seat. You watch the public will not bother.

The whole argument is based on hypothesis and assumptions.
Nah, the whole argument is based on boot polishing, proving the establishment an innocent 2 yr old child, lol.

I want bloodbath for these traitors only because they have been around for 30 years or so taking turns one after another, they always find a way back in. I want them finished once and for all so they can never again harm my country and it's people.
The issue is, who are "these traitors"? Not everyone in the PML/PPP etc. is corrupt. But people are taking broad strokes with this us vs. them kind of statements.

For now, lets see what transpires on Sunday. I am still optimistic that inshallah the outcome will set up IK alright. There are some factors at play worth considering. The LB polls in KP are an indication of a trend picking up in the country (whether it is sympathy for PTI or anger against the others remains to be seen) but any "career politician" turncoat must be watching this. This may have an impact on what happens on Sunday.

Also shows parlimentary system is broken and not for pakistan

Lahore high court
Since govt cant do shit
And courts has executive power in this country
No. Nawaz Sharif was definitely the establishment. Lahore high court only processed the documentation.

PPP has always played nice with the establishment so zardari's cases abruptly put into the freezer wasn't a surprise as sindh province basically has 0 law and order.

They would disagree with you, they rather become American than Pakistanis, otherwise they would have already moved. Hong-Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Turkey would be excited destinations. At the end of the day its up to the Pakistani public, noone forces them to follow Nawaz Sharif or Zardari but they do it for benefits, they also dream of making maximum wealth without paying tax and then themselves would move wealth overseas. Every single PPP PMLN supporters knows these people hide wealth and do corruption but deep down they feel impressed by them, they too want to become wealthy.

If my analysis is incorrect then believe me no power on earth could remove IK, even if no confidence motion is successful, the public will pressurise the government to hold early elections and IK would be back at the PM seat. You watch the public will not bother.
Golden

From my experience
Public wont bother

Back
Top Bottom