What's new

PM bows to all brave soldiers who fought for the Motherland, on the 50th anniversary of 1965 war

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi at ‘Shauryanjali’, a commemorative exhibition on Golden Jubilee of 1965 war, at India Gate, in New Delhi on September 17, 2015. The Union Ministers are also seen.
s2015091769848.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi at ‘Shauryanjali’, a commemorative exhibition on Golden Jubilee of 1965 war, at India Gate, in New Delhi on September 17, 2015.
s2015091769844.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi at ‘Shauryanjali’, a commemorative exhibition on Golden Jubilee of 1965 war, at India Gate, in New Delhi on September 17, 2015.
s2015091769845.jpg

s2015091769847.jpg

s2015091769846.jpg

s2015091769849.jpg

s2015091769850.jpg

s2015091769851.jpg

s2015091769852.jpg

s2015091769853.jpg

s2015091769854.jpg

s2015091769855.jpg

s2015091769856.jpg

s2015091769863.jpg

s2015091769862.jpg

s2015091769861.jpg

s2015091769860.jpg

s2015091769857.jpg

s2015091769858.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi signing the visitors' book at ‘Shauryanjali’, a commemorative exhibition on Golden Jubilee of 1965 war, at India Gate, in New Delhi on September 17, 2015.
s2015091769873.jpg

s2015091769872.jpg

So India celebrates getting its @ss kicked by 5 times smaller military?
Boss I am pasting a link here I want you go to through a topic called THE WAR... that to the last pargraph of this topic then you will know whose kicked whose @ss ....

Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipeedia is nothing but kids making up history... its only one sided story with bharatraksak references.. Where as our references are western sources not pathological lying Indians who got their @ss kicked in air land and sea by 5 times smaller military....

Its a victory that India discovered its victory after 50 years of sense of loss.

Coming out of period of grief is the only victory India can celebrate.
of course ! pakistan won the war .. snatched kashmir away from india and is still holding it !

Wikipeedia is nothing but kids making up history... its only one sided story with bharatraksak references.. Where as our references are western sources not pathological lying Indians who got their @ss kicked in air land and sea by 5 times smaller military....
so what u won in 1965 sir. Kashmir lene chale the lahore bachane pe aa gaye !

I can't argue with you...Because the most reference I get in the internet says India controlled large portion of Pakistan's territory i.e 1900 odd square kilometers.....And if you can contradict this please send me the link so that I enlighten myself....

So you seem to suggest that there was sea war between India and Pakistan in 1965...Please provide a source for that....

What a prime minister. India is great because we have Modi? or Modi is great because he is India? Food for thought.

1965 Indo-Pak War, Indian Army`s performance surprised the world | Zee News

New Delh: During the last fortnight, we have been a witness to the recollection of various battles fought during the India -Pakistan War of 1965. The display at India Gate gives us a vivid account of those operations.

The war had followed the conflict in Kutch earlier that year, as well as the massive infiltration into Jammu and Kashmir in the summer and the invasion of Chaamb -Jaurian on September 1.

The Indian Army tried its best to halt the advance of the Pakistan Army in Chhamb. The Indian Air Force also tried to stop the invading Pakistanis, but suffered heavy losses.

India responded by invading Pakistan on September 6. The thrust was towards Lahore from three directions, from Wagah to Dograi on the Grand Trunk Road, from Harike-Khalra to Burki and Khem Karan-Kasur Axis.

Though posted in Shillong and on leave, I joined duty. Posted as public relations officer for the Lahore Sector with my office in Amritsar, I had the opportunity of covering the war in that sector.

The war was not expected to conclude the way it did by many experts in the West. To start with, many analysts thought that by attacking India in the Chhamb sector, Pakistan had played an ace. Western press correspondents, who went with the forward echelons of the Pakistan Army, wrote glowing reports of its performance.

The impression was that Pakistan Army and Air Force was better equipped. The impression was that the Patton tanks were invincible as compared to World War II vintage Shermans and Centurions that India had. The Sabres and supersonic Starfighter of the PAF were considered far superior to the Indian Vampires and Mysteres. So also the B-57 Bombers to the Canberras and Hunters that the Indian Air Force had. No one thought of the dimunitive Gnat, which proved to be more than its weight during the war

To start with, there was a great deal of criticism of India for not giving access to the theatre of war to the press, particularly the foreign press, during the war. Much of the criticism was based on the precedent when India kept the media at arms length during the 1962 operations against China.

It took almost a week for the Government of India to give access to the media to the theatre of operations. I had the privilege of covering the attack by the Pakistan Air Force on Kalaikunda I was passing through Kharagpur, when the attack was in progress. I got down at the station and rushed to the base at Kalaikunda, and could take a picture of the Pakistan Air Force aircraft shot down by us. My Director, G.G. Mirchandani, appreciated my effort and posted me to Amritsar.

I boarded an Indian Air Force aircraft going from Barrackpore to Delhi, got myself briefed and proceeded to Amritsar. During the rest of the war, I was on the move, along the road to Khem Karan, Burki, and on the Wagh -Lahore Axis. The formation in charge of the operations was the XI Corps, commanded by Lt.Gen. Jogi Dhillon.

I had the opportunity of taking press parties to Burki, and showing them Burki village, which was captured by us. I also took media persons and got briefed by Brigadier Theograj of the 2nd Armoured Brigade, as to how we were able to water the fields and make easy targets of the Patton tanks, which got bogged down. Lt. Col A.S. Vaidya and Lt Col Salim Caleb, who commanded armoured regiments briefed us on how they were able to attack the Pattons. Both of them won the Maha Vir Chakra.

The Pakistan Army, which had made advances into Khem Karan, saw fierce battles at Asal Uttar. The Armoured Division of the Pakistan Army withdrew and moved to Sialkot where we had opened a new front.

I had met Lt.Col. Desmond Hayde, the Commanding Officer of the 3 Battalion of the Jat Regiment, who had reached Dograi on the 6th of September. But, as the supporting troops did not reach, he had to fall back. He told me that he planned to recapture Dograi on 22nd September evening.

We had heard that the war was going to conclude soon after midnight on September 22 as per the resolution of the Security Council of September 20

I decided to go to the Wagah on the previous day. As I drove, I heard shells whizzing past. As the evening approached, heavy shelling stated and I was invited by a unit commander to come to his dug-out , which I did. I was advised that returning to Amritsar was out of question because of the heavy shelling.

At dawn, I drove to Dograi unsure about the outcome of the battle. As I reached Dograi, I was told that we had succeeded in pushing the Pakistanis beyond the Icchogil Canal after a fierce battle. One witnessed devastation all round. At Dograi, I witnessed some Pakistani trucks being loaded with the dead bodies of Pakistan soldiers. The stench was overpowering.

Around noon, some well-clad civilians from Amritsar drove down from Amritsar. They were joined soon by some pyjama-kurta clad persons from Lahore. They seemed to know each other and the usual warm greetings and hugs followed. A Pakistan Junior Commissioned Officer, who was supervising the collection of Pakistani dead solders, could not hide his anguish When he saw the civilians hug one another, and he remarked to me: "Major Saheb, these people make us fight and kill each other, but see what they are doing."

Through wireless, I had contacted my office in Amritsar and sent a message to Delhi. Media representatives were flown to cover the events.

War over, one felt that public interest would also fade. But the number of press correspondents visiting the area was on the upswing. Dogri, Burki, Asal Uttar continued to be generate news stores. The Western Press was keen to find out why the Patton tanks suffered the fate they did. A visit to Patton Nagar near Bhikhiwind was a must for the foreign press.

Mr. I. Ramamohan Rao retired as Principal Information Officer of the Government of India.

ANI

By PTI | 18 Sep, 2015, 09.07PM IST
65 Air veterans of IAF Maintenance Command celebrates 1965 war victory - The Economic Times

NAGPUR: About 65 Air veterans who participated in the 1965 war against Pakistan took the air warriors of HQ Maintenance Command on a nostalgic flight down the memory lane today.

The veterans were felicitated by Air Marshal Jagjeet Singh, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Maintenance Command, IAF at the Command.

Air Vice-Marshal Praveen Bhatt, the Senior Air and Administrative Staff Officer, Maintenance Command in his welcome address declared that the best way to go ahead with the event was to have an interactive session so that the gathering would get an opportunity to listen to the heroic tales of war from the persons who had been on the battle field there.

Recalling memories, veteran Gp Capt SV Pathak, reminisced the time where his Vampire aircraft was shot down after he had taken off from Pathankot.

When veteran Gp Capt SD Bhave narrated his tales of compass failure and how his five missions were conducted successfully over Pakistan territory overcoming all the surprises the war offered, all present listened in rapt attention and admiration.

The wit and succinct humour of octogenarian navigator won the hearts of all.

One of the veterans recounted stories of capture of Pak "Chhate Waale" (Paratoopers).

Wg Cdr JB Contractor thanked the Command for excellent maintenance support provided to the forward Squadrons in 1965 which ensured fine performance of IAF during the war.

All the 65 Veterans, the figures coincided with the '65 war, expressed their desire to see similar interactions.

Air Marshal Jagjeet Singh felicitated the eldest of the veterans present Groupp Captain SD Bhave as a mark of respect for him and wished world becomes war free.

Ministry of Defence
19-September, 2015 18:27 IST
Indian Air Force Conducts Ultra Marathon and Aero Expeditions on the Occasion of Golden Jubilee of 1965 Indo-Pak War

Air Vice Marshal OEM Menon VSM, SOA WAC , flagged in the IAF Ultra Marathon and Microlight and twin Powered Hang glider (PHG) cross country expeditions at AF Stn Hindon on 19 Sep 15 at 1430 hrs. These expeditions were organized by the Indian Air Force as a befitting tribute to the valour and sacrifice made by the Indian Armed forces during the 1965 Indo- Pak war.

The Ultra Marathon was flagged off on 09 Sep 15 from Pathankot and culminated at Hindon on 19 Sep 15 covering a distance of around 574 kms in 11 days covering major airbases enroute at Adampur, Halwar and Ambala. Seven air warriors participated in this extreme endurance event. Running an average of 55 kms per day, these bravehearts endured scorching heat, blistering roads and intense exhaustion and dehydration , drawing on their will power and motivation. They were joined by a large no of air warriors at the enroute air bases for distances upto 21 kms and 42 kms.

Gp Capt VS Choudhary VM, Gp Capt Arvind Tripathi, Sqn Ldr S Gayathri, and Cpl M Bishnoi completed the entire ultra marathon distance of 574 kms, overcoming blisters, cramps and heat exhaustion. Fg Offr S Dixit, Sgt GB Mishra, Sgt AK Yadav covered the distance in relay format and were joined by Gp Capt Manoj Kumar who joined the team from Ambala to Hindon covering a distance of around 240 kms.

The Microlight and twin PHG expeditions were flagged on 16 Sep 15 from AF Stn Pathankot and AF Stn Amritsar respectively. These ultra light aircraft landed at major airbases of WAC such as Adampur, Halwara and Amabala and gave motivational joy rides to air warriors and civilians to introduce them to the thrill of aero adventure sports.

The crew for the microlight comprised of Wg Cdr VS Shokeen and Sgt Sunil whereas the two PHGs were piloted by Sqn Ldr WS Singh, Sqn Ldr Ajmer Singh, Sgt ML Yadav, Sgt Ram Mehar and Cpl Dobhal.

AVM Menon complimented the runners and the pilots for successfully completing this unique odyssey and also appreciated the efforts put in by all in ensuring the success of this commemorative event.

Ministry of Defence
19-September, 2015 17:17 IST
President Visits the Golden Jubilee Commemorative

Exhibition of 1965 Indo Pak War at India Gate Lawns

Golden Jubilee Commemorative events of Indo Pak War - 1965 at New Delhi was initiated by the Honorable President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee by a Wreath Laying Ceremony at Amar Jawan Jyoti on 28 Aug 2015. The Honorable President visited the exhibition of the War at India Gate Lawns and was received by the Service Chiefs, today. He was thereafter conducted through the exhibitions area depicting Terrain Walk Through, Battle Enclosures, Martyrs Gallery and other enclosures by arms and services, depicting the Indo Pak war of 1965 in its entirety.

The President of India endorsed his remarks in the visitors book, stating “ A heart warming exhibition showcasing the grit and valour of the Indian Soldier. I salute the brave martyrs of the Indian Armed Forces who sacrificed their present for our today. Every Indian should be proud to walk through this exhibition glorifying our victory in the 1965 war. My compliments to the team for organizing this at such a grand scale”.

The President also interacted with the next of kin of the nation’s highest gallantry award winners of Param Vir Chakra during 1965 War, Lt Col AB Tarapore and CQMH Abdul Hamid and a number of war veterans of 1965 war.

On 20 Sep 2015, a Carnival to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of 1965 Indo- Pak war (Indradhanush) will be organised at India Gate Lawns. Itcelebrates the triumph of India and shares the joy of the success with one and all. The carnival showcases events like martial arts display, jazz band concert, hot air balloon rides, choreographed dance shows, Army Dog Show, Army Motor Cycle display, magicians, jugglers and host of other activities. To add to the glitz, multi- cuisine food courts are also coming up at the venue. A painting competition with ‘Indian Armed Forces’ as the theme is also planned. Fly past by Indian Air Force and Army Aviation will add to the atmosphere of festivities. The event is open to all and no prior registration is required.

The President, Shri Pranab Mukherjee being welcomed by the Chief of Army Staff, General Dalbir Singh and the Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral R.K. Dhowan, on his arrival, at ‘Shauryanjali’, a commemorative exhibition on Golden Jubilee of 1965 war, at India Gate, in New Delhi on September 19, 2015.
s2015091969986.jpg

The President, Shri Pranab Mukherjee visiting the ‘Shauryanjali’, a commemorative exhibition on Golden Jubilee of 1965 war, at India Gate, in New Delhi on September 19, 2015.
s2015091969987.jpg

The President, Shri Pranab Mukherjee visiting the ‘Shauryanjali’, a commemorative exhibition on Golden Jubilee of 1965 war, at India Gate, in New Delhi on September 19, 2015.
s2015091969988.jpg

s2015091969989.jpg

s2015091969990.jpg

s2015091969991.jpg

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom