What's new

Plan to fence, mine Afghan border

I found some pictures on internet.

249763_221918274498450_100000408385098_818689_7226334_n.jpg

254083_221654341191510_100000408385098_816692_2668308_n.jpg

250045_221654357858175_100000408385098_816693_2306025_n.jpg

254285_221918164498461_100000408385098_818684_7602812_n.jpg

A fence is only as good as its supervision.

Fencing hilly terrain its its own implications & expenses.

Interesting points from the article

Pakistan is seriously considering to ‘fence and mine’ some important parts of the Pak-Afghan border ,

In a recent attack by militants in Mohmand this month, the Pakistan Air Force had to be called in to recapture a post. This seems like a replay of the border clashes that took place on the Pak-Afghan border in the 60s

“The insurgency from across the border is growing and we have already taken up the matter with Afghan officials but there appears to be no end to the incursions. A plan to fence the border is being discussed and a final decision will be taken by senior military officials,”

The official said the Afghanistan government had always been against fencing the border.

Maj-Gen Athar Abbas, the spokesman for the army, told Dawn: “We did fence around 35km of the border area as it faced continuous militant incursions. It was a joint project of Isaf and Afghanistan. But then they backed out. It was a very costly project

A fence is only as good as its supervision.

Fencing hilly terrain its its own implications & expenses.

india has always viewed Pakistan's open border with afghanistan as a kind of leverage to be used against Pakistan. If this border gets closed you and your new found friends loose that leverage against Pakistan

india has always viewed Pakistan's open border with afghanistan as a kind of leverage to be used against Pakistan. If this border gets closed you and your new found friends loose that leverage against Pakistan

Why do you need an enemy when you have your own people to do the needful?

Lets hope this project doesn't not fall through like previous times!

We shouldn't have the afghan government dictating us

If you know that on Durand line we have not only insurgency problem but problem which are connected with status of boundary too, Afghan government can't dictate but real power is Pushtons living across border on both sides. You can't simply go and fence it. Best way to solve this problem is to talk with Afghan government to control and solve border violation problems with mutual cooperation.

US once opposed fencing border in past and Kabul also can put concerns over it but they want to do nothing against insurgency because their own interests are involved and covert support to these insurgents where attack in Lower Dir proved this fact.

Either Pakistan has to adopt aggressive policy to secure border or they will go for this costly option, meanwhile rapid air strike, improve command and control, intelligence across border (in favour to alert air force or military over possible militant attack) option should consider seriously.

If you know that on Durand line we have not only insurgency problem but problem which are connected with status of boundary too, Afghan government can't dictate but real power is Pushtons living across border on both sides. You can't simply go and fence it. Best way to solve this problem is to talk with Afghan government to control and solve border violation problems with mutual cooperation.

US once opposed fencing border in past and Kabul also can put concerns over it but they want to do nothing against insurgency because their own interests are involved and covert support to these insurgents where attack in Lower Dir proved this fact.

Either Pakistan has to adopt aggressive policy to secure border or they will go for this costly option, meanwhile rapid air strike, improve command and control, intelligence across border (in favour to alert air force or military over possible militant attack) option should consider seriously.

Trust me a vast majority of the Pakistanis Pashtuns would welcome this move because they are as sick as everyone else of border attacks and immigrants crossing over from afghanistan.

What other option do we have then fencing and mining the border?

enough of this "muslim brotherhood" thats good to know but they should have done this years ago mine and fence the whole thing and send all afghans in pakistan back home.I can't believe we bent over for the afghans last time on this issue how pathetic that we ignored our security and let afghanistan decide what we do on our own soil no less !

Well do u guys know tht the pashtuns living on the afghan side of the border also have Pakistani NICs??? i mean they r dual nationals .....lol

What abt them? Id say expand out walls further and take there small villages.......

in the international arena, it will be a very unpopular move --since many countries (even in Africa) are paying millions of dollars to de-mine.

in the Pak-Afghan context, i think some mining of crucial trouble-prone areas is not unwarranted. You can't really mine the whole border, but at least crucial points where (based on mapping data) it can be determined where criss-crossing of militants and the smuggling of drugs weapons and other merchandise takes place

there were talks back in 2008 whereby the head of US Department of Homeland Security (Ms. Janet Napolitano) was in Pakistan to address Pakistan's concerns regarding the unchecked criss-cross movements and in fact affirmed her support for the fencing of the border. However for political reasons, the plan never went through.

Most of the opposition came from the Afghan side, and Pakistan was heeding to their 'concerns'.

Back
Top Bottom