What's new

PLA Navy: From 'Green Water' to 'Blue Water'

I think to have true blue water capabilities China needs aircraft carriers.

Well the news from the rumour factory is that after the Varyag there will be another two CATOBAR carriers in the pipeline. the VAryag will be a training ship apparently.
2015 timeframe

Any updates on Varyag? Is it safe to say that the carrier is in the final stages?

Well the news from the rumour factory is that after the Varyag there will be another two CATOBAR carriers in the pipeline. the VAryag will be a training ship apparently.
2015 timeframe

Yes, at the moment the Varyag has been refurbished to a worthy vessel.

As you may know, China has aquired many aircraft carriers from different nations, but most have been turned into floating amusement parks.

The reason is clear for this, China's purpose in those was to study them and not for active use.

Out of all the carriers, China admires the Varyag the most because China considers the Varyag a unique type of aircraft carrier, a unique class.

The Russians called is a "heavy aircraft-carrying cruiser", so you could see it is not a average aircraft carrier of western designs.

The Varyag and it's future uses is strouded in mystery. Not much information has been released about the future. I would presume it would be a permanent trainer for future indigenous aircraft carriers.

Any updates on Varyag? Is it safe to say that the carrier is in the final stages?

I think it depends on the purpose of the Varyag in terms of "final stage".

If the purpose is as a aircraft carrier trainer, then I would presume it is in the final stages.

However, if the purpose is to make it operational for the sea then probably not.

Back
Top Bottom