What's new

PLA Decommissioning of the Type 62 light tanks

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
PLA Decommissioning of the Type 62 light tanks

It seems that after close to 50 years of service, the PLA has finally ready to retire it's Type62 fleet.

1298698232_51829.jpg

1295625149_91534.jpg

1298698376_72594.jpg

XINHUI

I've heard that, some type 62 tanks will be thrown into the sea, to make fish house.

Sure, why not. A new coat of paint, a little grease here, a little oil there. Then all tickety-boo.
BTW, who is buying?

African countries who does not need new ones can fetch some money

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Yes many do it they become coral reifs
I've heard that, some type 62 tanks will be thrown into the sea, to make fish house.

African countries, yes of course. Any wars are in the offing there? These will do just fine.

China already sells a upgraded version of the heavy type59 tank called the type59G.

The rebuilt tanks have been named as “Type 59G Main Battle Tank”. It incorporates a number of revolutionary improvements including a much up gunned 125mm smoothbore main gun with 42 rounds, which is capable of firing APFSDS, HEAT-FS, HE-FS, barrel-launched anti-tank guided missiles, and Depleted Uranium (DU) shells. The main gun can be reloaded by a semi-automatic autoloader and is equipped with a dual-axis stabilisation system allowing 6~8 rounds to be fired per minute. The new generation European thermal imaging sights (TIS) provides Type 59G with clear vision to commander and gunner during any adverse conditions.
http://www./index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=333&Itemid=97

Type59P.jpg

gallery_1_15_77631.jpg

gallery_1_15_38639.jpg

Isn't there a Type 62G variant?

yea it has a 105mm gun rather than 85mm and some other improvements, anyways these tanks are far thin skins for any serious tank battle, it about time they replaced them, with what i have no idea

These old tanks can always be sold to Gaddafi for cheap. I'm sure that insane bastard would pay anything to get some tanks to run over his own people.

These old tanks can always be sold to Gaddafi for cheap. I'm sure that insane bastard would pay anything to get some tanks to run over his own people.

Why would we want to stir up a political S**t storm for chump change?

Why would we want to stir up a political S**t storm for chump change?
See it's not that simple as people wanting freedom/democracy in Libya. The tribe Gaddafi belongs to has enjoyed greater part of the fruit of development in the last 40 years. However, tribes in Eastern part of the country were kept suppressed. So this is very much a tribal war. Now the only question is, which side should China support for Libyan oil. If the price is right, opposition can also be a potential customer.

China has pledged non interference in foreign issues.
It's not interfering. Giving aid to Gaddafi or his tribal opposition would be interfering. They need to purchase these tanks with cold, hard cash.

Back
Top Bottom