What's new

Pic of J-10B with WS-10X for the 8.1 Anniversary

Currently 20 years would be an optimistic estimation.

China is about 20 years behind USA in those critical technology fields.

US had its PWF-100 in the mature stage back in the early 1990s.

China has now its mature WS-10 in 2011.

US had its Trident II SLBM successful in 1990.

China has its JL-2A SLBM successful in 2010.

I was referring to when the F100-PW-229 came into mass production, which has a very similar thrust and also thrust: weight ratio to the WS-10A.

20 years now means that China easily now has all the base infrastructure required to produce the WS-15 engine for the J-20.

WS-10 also has some superior variant like WS-10G.

Nevertheless, i agree with you that China is overall 20 years behind USA in the jet engine technology, meanwhile the civilian jet engine is also part of it which China is currently working now.

We don't know how powerful WS-10 really is, but it's fairly safe to assume it should give J-10 a T/W ratio of at least 1:1.
Assuming it offers the exactly the same thrust as its F110 cousin (132 kN, with growth potential to 145 kN), it's still an excellent engine. I know many of you wish the WS-10 to be as powerful as the F135 (192 kN), but do bear in mind that the F135 is a much larger engine, with a MISERABLE T/W ratio of 6.6:1 (it weighs 5,000~6,000 lb, depends on the version). At 145 kN, the WS-10 is second only to F119 in term of T/W ratio in its class (let's not count the Russian wet dream yet, as they have the tendency to use inmature technology that they can't possibly put into production to attract gullible customers).

We don't know how powerful WS-10 really is, but it's fairly safe to assume it should give J-10 a T/W ratio of at least 1:1.
Assuming it offers the exactly the same thrust as its F110 cousin (132 kN, with growth potential to 145 kN), it's still an excellent engine. I know many of you wish the WS-10 to be as powerful as the F135 (192 kN), but do bear in mind that the F135 is a much larger engine, with a MISERABLE T/W ratio of 6.6:1 (it weighs 5,000~6,000 lb, depends on the version). At 145 kN, the WS-10 is second only to F119 in term of T/W ratio in its class (let's not count the Russian wet dream yet, as they have the tendency to use inmature technology that they can't possibly put into production to attract gullible customers).

The maximum thrust of WS-10G is about 155kn, and its T/W ratio is close to 9.

Since WS-10 and WS-15 don't belong to the same family, if the progression of the WS-15 is delayed, then WS-10G, the pinnacle of the WS-10 family, could be served as a temporary replacement for J-20.

China is about 20 years behind USA in those critical technology fields.

US had its PWF-100 in the mature stage back in the early 1990s.

China has now its mature WS-10 in 2011.

US had its Trident II SLBM successful in 1990.

China has its JL-2A SLBM successful in 2010.

PW F100 was first test flown in F-15 in 1972, and entered USAF service in 1976.
The F110 (which is WS-10's closest counterpart) entered service aboard F-16C Block 30 in 1987.
Fortunately, the US hasn't made much progress since then (only managed to put F119 into service).

My heartiest congratulations to my brothers and sisters from China.

In human civilization, never has a country progressed at the speed at which China is developing. At the end of World War 2, China could not even produce a truck. Today, China has put a man on the moon, is growing at a rate of 10% and is building some of the greatest infrastructure projects this world has seen. It was only a matter of time before the Chinese caught up in this critical technology of producing engines, it was a matter of national security for them and they overcame. Only a matter of time before the Chinese engineers sort out all the defects and start serial producing these engines. Pakistan is lucky to have a friend like China, i certainly hope that my people can learn the art of hard work from our Chinese friends.

PW F100 was first test flown in F-15 in 1972, and entered USAF service in 1976.
The F110 (which is WS-10's closest counterpart) entered service aboard F-16C Block 30 in 1987.
Fortunately, the US hasn't made much progress since then (only managed to put F119 into service).

I've always wondered what happened to the F-120 after the first few flights on the YF-22. Seems like a more capable engine than the F-119.

In human civilization, never has a country progressed at the speed at which China is developing. At the end of World War 2, China could not even produce a truck. Today, China has put a man on the moon, is growing at a rate of 10% and is building some of the greatest infrastructure projects this world has seen. It was only a matter of time before the Chinese caught up in this critical technology of producing engines, it was a matter of national security for them and they overcame. Only a matter of time before the Chinese engineers sort out all the defects and start serial producing these engines. Pakistan is lucky to have a friend like China, i certainly hope that my people can learn the art of hard work from our Chinese friends.

It was even worse than that, we can't even produce a rivet back in that time.

The maximum thrust of WS-10G is about 155kn, and its T/W ratio is close to 9.
Sounds reasonable. The F110-GE-132 (a souped-up 1970's vintage engine) has been tested past 165 kN mark (even though it's normally rated at 145 kN), so WS-10 should be able to hit 155 kN while still retaining reasonable lifespan. If WS-10 can't beat a 30 y.o. American engine, then the WS-10 R&D team deserve to be shot.

Sounds reasonable. The F110-GE-132 (a souped-up 1970's vintage engine) has been tested past 165 kN mark (even though it's normally rated at 145 kN), so WS-10 should be able to hit 155 kN while still retaining reasonable lifespan. If WS-10 can't beat a 30 y.o. American engine, then the WS-10 R&D team deserve to be shot.

Its overall lifespan is around 2500 hours, maybe close to 3000 hours.

China can also improve the AL-31F engine, making its overall lifespan increasing from 900 hours to 1500 hours.

I've always wondered what happened to the F-120 after the first few flights on the YF-22. Seems like a more capable engine than the F-119.
Kept on life support in the form of F136, even though none of F-35 partners intends to adopt it. A most grotesque form of corporate welfare indeed.
And they wonder why China can afford to launch multiple defense programs at such rapid pace.

Man on the moon? China has not done that yet.

And the navalized version of J-10.

27_72972_5ca033253453239.jpg

27_72972_5bb15b49695b05a.jpg

27_72972_37cdb828177dfe4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom