What's new

PIA fligt diverted just to drop Senior officer daughter

I read somewhere that PIA has the highest number of personnel assigned to an aircraft ratio in the world.

PIA suspends serving meal in domestic flights | The Nation

PIA suspends serving meal in domestic flights

By: Amraiz Khan | January 29, 2013

LAHORE – Closing eyes from the other major reasons behind losses faced by the national flag carrier including pilferage in spare parts procurement, surplus staff, mismanagement in recruitments, poor performance of employees and nexus between travel agents and marketing department to create artificial shortage of seats in flights, the PIA management, in a bizarre move, has decided to stop serving meal to onboard passengers in domestic flights without cutting fares apparently to pull the airline out of crisis, says a report. The decision by PIA management to suspend serving hot meals on domestic flights would have been welcome had the politically-appointed mediocrity that dominates its top management simultaneously announced a fare-cut between 20 to 30 per cent, said sources in PIA on Monday.

However the PIA spokesman, when contacted, denied the reports saying the airline had suspended the meal on domestic flights some couple of years back and it was a cost-cutting measure to pull the losses-stricken airline out of crisis. Aviation experts have termed the decision of PIA management to suspend meal on flights merely a cosmetic measure, for, they are of the view that PIA without making its top management clean and tackling notoriety of being declared an airline with highest employees to aircraft ratio in the world, has embarked on move to stop offering hot meals to passengers without any reduction in fares.

A comparison of PIA with other airlines of the world reveals that Southwest Airlines has a fleet of 694 aircraft, with 46,000 employees on its payroll and six sets of pilots per aircraft which means six captains and six copilots, while PIA with a fleet of 32 aircraft has almost 23,900 employees with 20 to 26 pilots per serviceable aircraft, which does not include over 30 pilots rehired after retirement on contract basis and more than 300 new pilots recruited in the past four years waiting to be operational.

Such cost-cutting measures only yield benefits if airline first gets rid of its surplus staff and administrative expenses involved in running and maintaining an overcrowded head office like the one PIA has at Karachi and other line stations both domestic and international. While PIA has invested over $ 60 million on procuring, installing and operating a fully computerised reservation and booking system, it has yet to offset this additional investment by closing down its overstaffed and elaborate sales and booking offices all over the world, including its off-line stations such as Sydney, Singapore, Colombo, Chicago, Washington, Rome, Glasgow, Yanbo, Ras al Khaima, Fajura, Tehran and some others, where no PIA flight operates to.

Low cost airlines operating all over the world offer passengers competitive low fares without offering any meals to passengers, who are allowed to purchase food from outlets that offer their services within the transit lounge. Airlines like Southwest Airlines after merger with Trans Air in USA offer passengers, low fares and two free bags each weighing under 50 Pounds on domestic routes, with attractive variety of low fares.

For example seats booked in advance by 20 days through Internet E-Ticketing, are encouraged, and savings on administrative expenses is passed on to passengers. These domestic airlines offer complimentary snacks like potato chips and free cold drinks, or coffee during flight. Some airlines sell cold meals onboard. The cost of serving hot meals is minuscule when compared with salaries, allowances and perks of the surplus number of employees of every cadre, massive pilferage, corruption and kickbacks that plague PIA. An officer of catering department from Lahore station said that a sum of Rs 10 million was being spent monthly on meal to passengers and a suspension could result in decrease in people choosing PIA for travel.

Some Facts and Figures

Aircraft to employee ratios:

Lufthansa: 127 people per aircraft
Singapore Airlines: 140 people per aircraft
Emirates Airlines: 314 people per aircraft
Pakistan International Airlines: 570 people per aircraft

PIA wholly owns the prestigious Roosevelt Hotel in the heart of Manhattan, New York City. The building and land are worth close to US$ 1 billion. And yet 30% of PIA fleet is grounded.

I read somewhere a story about someone who works for PIA and was a part of the team responsible for Hajj operations.

This bloody fcking guy took his wife, three kids, parents, 2 sisters, 2 brother in laws, 3 nephews along with him for Hajj.. The family stayed in Saudi Arabia for 10 days on government expense.. and also this was his family’s second hajj in 5 years!

:hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall:

solution is to privatize this airline and sell off assets; fire the management and bring in capable people (managers, flying staff) who are appointed based on COMPETENCE and not by who is their uncle or brother / family connections

but as i said, nothing is likely to change anytime soon.....just more embarrassing stories like this

Some Facts and Figures

PIA wholly owns the prestigious Roosevelt Hotel in the heart of Manhattan, New York City. The building and land are worth close to US$ 1 billion. And yet 30% of PIA fleet is grounded.

I read somewhere a story about someone who works for PIA and was a part of the team responsible for Hajj operations.

This bloody fcking guy took his wife, three kids, parents, 2 sisters, 2 brother in laws, 3 nephews along with him for Hajj.. The family stayed in Saudi Arabia for 10 days on government expense.. and also this was his family’s second hajj in 5 years!

:hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall:

solution is to privatize this airline and sell off assets; fire the management and bring in capable people (managers, flying staff) who are appointed based on COMPETENCE and not by who is their uncle or brother / family connections

but as i said, nothing is likely to change anytime soon.....just more embarrassing stories like this

Damn, I didn't know that PIA owns the Roosovelt Hotel in Manhattan....:blink:

Damn, I didn't know that PIA owns the Roosovelt Hotel in Manhattan....:blink:

For quite some time they've owned it.

They used to own a holiday inn in Houston Texas (I think) though it was later sold off (I wonder who lined their pockets after that deal)

Ye to kuch bhi nahin Hamari Air India ke mukable bhai log. Air India to jaati hi non profitable routes par hai.... Hamaare kutton ke ghar / Business wahan par jo hain.

Did you know how much our last ***** of a President did to AI? i think it was like 27 carore that she
Squandered on her trips in 1 single year. She also 'flew' MKI along with another pilot... Are batao yaar buddhi ke Raam naam lene key din hain ya fighter jets mein ghoomne ke? aur MKI land karne ke baad mein pakka apne nakli Danton ka set dhoondh rahi hogi... Gir jo gaya hoga nikalkar..

And Saali mayawati ne Shoes lene ke kaaran ek city se flight special Bombay bheji thi.

We do it Grande!!! :/ . Uugghhh.

Hai koi Pakistan mein aisa? ;p

This is the national carrier. The son of PIA director too has thrown a lot of money in various parts including New York for his own benefit.

"PIA’s counsel Raja Bashir informed the court that current management of PIA was attempting to improve the company’s conditions. He also said that in the previous years, PIA had incurred a loss of Rs. 119 billion in total due to delays and other issues."

Furthermore:
On Thursday during the question hour Naveed Qamar told the National Assembly that disciplinary action is being taken against those five pilots of PIA who have fake degrees. He said that at present only 26 airports out of total 43 are functional and only five of them are profitable.
He said that the sanctioned strength of PIA is 19159 whereas actually there are 20448 employees are working in the organization. Some 3058 workers are also on the daily wages.

So we have chiefs and people in there so corrupt while these issues are faced daily. Extra employees too are employed. In customs too I heard after PPP came it brought its people into jobs. Pakistan cannot develop with corruption.

This is the national carrier. The son of PIA director too has thrown a lot of money in various parts including New York for his own benefit.

"PIA’s counsel Raja Bashir informed the court that current management of PIA was attempting to improve the company’s conditions. He also said that in the previous years, PIA had incurred a loss of Rs. 119 billion in total due to delays and other issues."

Furthermore:

So we have chiefs and people in there so corrupt while these issues are faced daily. Extra employees too are employed. In customs too I heard after PPP came it brought its people into jobs. Pakistan cannot develop with corruption.

Hang the corrupt leaders and privatize the PIA and also allow more Air Lines in Pakistan this will also reduce tickets and PIA will also go in profit their are many countries which don't have their government air line

These events have increased thanks to PPP & PML-N mainly. Who have no love for the country & they only love themselves.

Lawlessness, rented political crimes & rented political terrorism have increased mainly because of PPP & PML-N, others incompetent politicians are following.

These incompetent politicians are truly disloyal to Pakistan & have absolutely no love for Pakistan.

Instead of bellyaching how many of you will do something about it? Get on the streets, get on the media, expose the corrupt, shame them, and ensure action is taken against the twits responsible. Otherwise it's just gonna be more of the same!

My friend no one will come to clean this mess for us and wanting alone wont help we will have to do it ourselves but how thats the big question...One thing is forsure we are running out of time now and I m not very optimistic about PTI I feel a list of about 5000 people need to be made who should either be killed or jailed and all their assets be confiscated...Just read the news today that Pak tax exepmtions is last four years has surpassed IMF loans
http://www.defence.pk/forums/econom...akistan-tax-exemption-surpasses-imf-loan.html in other words had we collected that tax there was no need to take the loan from IMF and if can manage that in such times of poor stability and energy crisis where will stand once all is order and the real use of pak locations as an energy and goods corridor serving 50% of worlds population(china,india on one side and iran,central asian republics and russia on other side)....This is the reason alone why all the world players are in pakistan tryin to destabilize us but just blaming them wont help as we have own weaknesses like this news as well that needs to be rectified along with thousand other things ...

How dare you blame us for the wrongs that we have obviously committed and point out our inadequacies as a people and the lack of any balls to own up to what we have destroyed? Leave us with our blaming mechanisms! Everyone is to blame but ourselves, the responsibilities towards Pakistan belong to everyone but ourselves.

Ye to kuch bhi nahin Hamari Air India ke mukable bhai log. Air India to jaati hi non profitable routes par hai.... Hamaare kutton ke ghar / Business wahan par jo hain.

Did you know how much our last ***** of a President did to AI? i think it was like 27 carore that she
Squandered on her trips in 1 single year. She also 'flew' MKI along with another pilot... Are batao yaar buddhi ke Raam naam lene key din hain ya fighter jets mein ghoomne ke? aur MKI land karne ke baad mein pakka apne nakli Danton ka set dhoondh rahi hogi... Gir jo gaya hoga nikalkar..

And Saali mayawati ne Shoes lene ke kaaran ek city se flight special Bombay bheji thi.

We do it Grande!!! :/ . Uugghhh.

Hai koi Pakistan mein aisa? ;p

Have you heard about Mr. Nawaz's breakfast? It flew from Karachi to Islamabad everyday because he liked the stuff made at Avari Beach Luxury.

Some Facts and Figures

:hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall::hitwall:

my god those numbers of employees for a company in huge loss? I bet half of them are fake degree holder pfttt...

PIA, Pak Railways, power companies - all the same haal

Unless something drastic is undertaken, ain't nothin gonna change

Back
Top Bottom