What's new

Physicists To Test If Universe Is A Computer Simulation

I've heard of this before, when I was reading up about existentialism and the concept of a "simulated reality". It's not a bad theory.

They said that since time goes on forever, and the many universes are so vast, there is a possibility we have already reached a very far point in the future, and have created a simulation of the past. And that we are currently living in that simulation.

The argument is based on logic and rationality, which I like... however of course there is zero empirical proof of this being the case.

So it's just a hypothesis. I like it because it sounds fun to me, but I don't feel that it is particularly likely. Possible but unlikely.

As far as we know.

My previous post here

Fact is - yes, could be living in a computed reality. The thing is - it is an evolved simulation and it contains a free-will switch, so there is a lot of randomness in it. It is non-deterministic, in other words, because of the free will aspect.

Either we are in a simulation or the true reality makes absolutely no difference to us, atleast in a practical sense, because we cannot effect the simulation parameters or rules that control it. The only difference would be one of philosophical or theological depending on the individual.

This is not BS guys. If you have a little bit of mathematics background, I suggest you try to follow this google tech talk: The Quantum Conspiracy: What Popularizers of QM Don't Want You to Know - YouTube

I promise you if you have ability to grasp basic algebra, tiniest amount of calculus and just a little bit of partial derivative equations, this will become so clear to you that you would wonder how you didn't understand it before.

If you don't have math background, or if you are under 14, I suggest you spend a little time and get yourself familiar with the math. You can still watch the video and assume the math is correct (it is correct, but this is why I want you to get up to speed so you can see that for yourself).

So does that mean that we are programmed and Alqaida is a virus??

Just because it is a simulation does not mean you are an automaton. You still control your own actions, the implication only extends to how significant they are in the big scheme of things.

Also, this is slightly different from existentialism in that the math is simply implying a total of zero universes (actually either that or a multiverse, but that has implications about laws of preservation of momentum and energy and requires some wiggling/relaxing of some fundamental rules and just like the lecturer in the video, I don't find this very intuitive).

I always thought maya meant power or knowledge? :coffee:

As explained Maya is the illusion of reality. It states that everything around you is nothing more than an illusion and hence, you should not get too attached with it. As Shri Krishna spoke in Gita, "What have you brought that you will take with you?" Nothing is yours. Nothing ever was. Its all an illusion.

As for Gods, they create these illusions. We feel them as reality.
This perfectly fits with the simulation theory :P

So does that mean that we are programmed and Alqaida is a virus??

Al-Qaeda are the bad guys amongst us. They are part of us. So, they are the same program, I guess. They wouldn't be a virus of a Trojan :P

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of parallel universes is itself a hypothesis at best.

My will is my own!

Why yes, I in fact do.

I can't really argue with that, i suppose its motivated by religion. I personally believe that extraterrestrial life exists. Simply because life itself ceases to be a unique phenomenon when you consider the scope of our universe.

I can't really argue with that, i suppose its motivated by religion.

Such as Heaven and Hell I suppose...

Nevertheless, the idea of parallel universes is still hypothetical. We simply do not possess the kind of know-how to scientifically prove their existence.

Religion however does state their existence (i.e. Heaven and Hell).

I personally believe that extraterrestrial life exists. Simply because life itself ceases to be a unique phenomenon when you consider the scope of our universe.

It's possible. But I'll only believe it when I see it :D

Back
Top Bottom