What's new

PHOTOS: Indian, US troops set Thar desert on fire!

But what he said was instead of Kevlar there is another material,,somekind of fibre which is covered by wool(or wool like thing) on both the inner and outer side...better than the old BPJ which i have opened and just contains 2 heavy metal plates on both side..and is very very heavy.

Anyways am not sure about the material..will confirm and reply in a few days if i meet someone who has used it.

^^ Okay let me explain it to everyone here.

There are 3 types of BPJ in the Indian Army:-

1.Older one which weighs 15 kgs used by regular troops and Ghataks as also seen here with Insas carying guys consists of 2 plates..1 at from and another at back..outdated..is being replaced.

2.Tata BPJ weighs 500gms..not seen here at all.

3.Newer one weighs 250 gms consisting of fibre and wool(someone told me) seen here with the Tavor guys...specially for SF guys as of now.

So when i told that it is the same i didnt mean that the colour is same or the length width is same....because troops carry out modifications to suit their requiremnts.

dude no disrespect but i think you got your facts wrong .:undecided:

2.Tata BPJ weighs 500gms..not seen here at all.

500gms :no: :no:

this is from tata website
TATA Advanced Materials Ltd...
TAML has so far supplied more than 160,000 light weight Bullet Resistant Jackets to the Indian Armed Forces .
All the jackets are LIGHT WEIGHT using special hybrid composite solutions.
They are available compliant to NIJ level IIA to Level IV
The jackets can be designed to provide protection from 9 mm FMJ to AK 47 Indian ammunition, INSAS which are one of the most lethal ammunition currently in use.

The weight of the jackets are as low as 6.4 Kgs and can be offered in a variety of solutions designed to meet customer needs.

level IIA protects against 9 mm,.40 S&W,45 ACP

Level IV protects against
7.62mmX39mm bullets (steel core) launched from AK-47 rifle and
Sniper bullet.

and the image you posted of the guy with the m4 .in it you can only see his tactical vest and not the body Armour.

and would love to see a 250 gms body armour :cheesy: body armour.
peace.......

13army5.jpg

" Vote for Bahus... Liberation ...." Hmm interesting scenario painted on the mud wall. Any conspiracy theory pls ??

" Vote for Bahus... Liberation ...." Hmm interesting scenario painted on the mud wall. Any conspiracy theory pls ??

Conspiracy theory#1- Vote for Bahujanistan ... Liberation...
One can go on and on. But the graffiti is only part of the props. Its the action that is more important. :)

dude no disrespect but i think you got your facts wrong .:undecided:

500gms :no: :no:

this is from tata website
TATA Advanced Materials Ltd...
TAML has so far supplied more than 160,000 light weight Bullet Resistant Jackets to the Indian Armed Forces .
All the jackets are LIGHT WEIGHT using special hybrid composite solutions.
They are available compliant to NIJ level IIA to Level IV
The jackets can be designed to provide protection from 9 mm FMJ to AK 47 Indian ammunition, INSAS which are one of the most lethal ammunition currently in use.

The weight of the jackets are as low as 6.4 Kgs and can be offered in a variety of solutions designed to meet customer needs.

level IIA protects against 9 mm,.40 S&W,45 ACP

Level IV protects against
7.62mmX39mm bullets (steel core) launched from AK-47 rifle and
Sniper bullet.

and the image you posted of the guy with the m4 .in it you can only see his tactical vest and not the body Armour.

and would love to see a 250 gms body armour :cheesy: body armour.
peace.......

Yes i can be wrong because i am relying on a guy for my info.

The one i was talking about has a small plate on the front and back.Its big enough to just protect the vital areas unlike the older BPJ its not too big...and maybe it doesnt weigh 500 gms but thats what i was told.

Regarding the M4 guy.....Again i will say that i am relying for my info on a ex Ghatak guy who after seeing these pics told me that it is a body armour with pouches and is very light weight..he told me its 250 gms but i havent seen it in real life so cant say anything.

Feel free to disagree as i am only sharing what i am told and am not speaking from personal experience...

@ COLDHEARTED AVIATOR
I have a few questions for you....

Army to get modern bullet-proof jackets

Indian Soldier to Be Equipped with Modular Bullet-Proof Vests

India Defence Online, New Delhi – After having faced major criticism for the sad state of military gear that the Indian soldier is equipped with, the Indian Army will soon import modular light-weight bullet-proof jackets and ballistic helmets with internal communication gear. The need for better body and head armour for the soldier has been heightened due to the continual counter-insurgency operations in the country.

According to the Indian Army, the General Staff Qualitative Requirements (GSQRs) has been remodelled and modular jackets will be imported from potential foreign vendors. The trials for the same will be conducted at the Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory, Chandigarh and later in Rajasthan deserts and mountains of Jammu and Kashmir. The Indian Army will be equipped by these modern bullet-proof jackets by 2012.

Apparently, over ten companies have elicited their interest in supplying these modular jackets and the Indian Army’s tender indicates that 150,000 bullet-proof jackets will be inducted in the first phase and another 180,000 will be acquired in the second round.

The new bullet-proof jackets will be ergonomically designed, light-weight, modular and fitted to ensure agility and maximum protection. Two kinds of jackets are being envisaged by the Indian Army. For a “low threat perception” mission, the jacket will weigh less than 4 kilograms and have a trauma pad with a soft armour plate all around it and a high threat mission jacket which will weigh 10.5-11.5 kilograms with hard armour plates all around it. The latter will provide protection against 7.62mm x 39mm mild steel core ammunition fired from an AK-47 from 10 meters. Unlike the conventional bullet-proof jackets, these vests can be taken off part by part depending on the mission of the soldiers.

According to the report by the Parliamentary Panel, the Indian Army was short of 1,86,138 bullet-proof jackets despite being authorized 3,53,765 new ones way back in March 2004. Besides that, the current bullet-proof vests weigh over 11 kilogram thereby hampering the agility of the soldier who carries other equipment as well. These new acquisitions by the Indian Army are crucial to plug the gaps in its operational capability and enable effective and decisive actions in response to hostile situations.

Defence Now

What happened to this deal ??? Is it finalised ?? If yes then which one is selected ?? When are they gonna enter in the service ???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened to multi caliber assault rifle deal ??? When are the filed test due ??? When the deal likely to be signed and when production will start ??

F-Insas Rifle Design Clears Audit, To Go Into Production From Jan 2012

The defence ministry may no longer have to search for an advanced rifle to arm the Indian infantry soldier of the future under the F-Insas project. Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) claims to have come up with an advanced variant of the existing 5.56 mm Insas rifle that will go into production from January, 2012. “The rifle is an extremely modern weapon that will meet with the requirements of the future infantryman. Our designs have already cleared the audit and production is expected to start from January,” a source said. RFI has already manufactured over a million Insas rifles for distribution among security personnel in India. The Insas was first introduced before the Kargil war and several variants have since been developed. When the Future Infantry Soldier as System (F-Insas) project was launched by the defence ministry, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) got together to develop weapons for the soldier of the future.

Whats going on here ?? Any more news on this ??? Is OFB participating in IA's multi caliber assault rifle competition ??? Also whats with this new 6.8 mm caliber ??? How important/good is it or its just unnecessary development ?? Is there a requirement for this new 6.8 mm ??? Where it will be used when we will purchase assault rifle from a foreign vendor ?? How is Milap and Trichy assault rifle performing in the test or no test yet ??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RFI were issued for all these also :

Hi-tech equipment and accessories

In the later stages of the programme, the Indian Army intends to complement its new weapon platforms with a range of high-tech equipment for its infantry soldiers.
This equipment includes a new helmet with mounted thermal sensors and night vision, as well as cameras and chemical and biological sensors. The helmet will have an integrated visor with a heads-up display (HUD) capable of outputting images with the equivalent space of two 17-inch computer screens.
Other proposed accessories include a full battle-suit with a bullet-proof and waterproof jacket, health sensors and even solar charging devices.
This kind of personal energy generation could be used to power the soldier's HUD and sensor systems, as well as a wrist-mounted Palmtop GPS system that will be used to increase battlefield awareness and act as a networked messaging system between battalions and their commanders.

Any progress here ??/ When the deal likely to be signed ???

Yes i can be wrong because i am relying on a guy for my info.

The one i was talking about has a small plate on the front and back.Its big enough to just protect the vital areas unlike the older BPJ its not too big...and maybe it doesnt weigh 500 gms but thats what i was told.

Regarding the M4 guy.....Again i will say that i am relying for my info on a ex Ghatak guy who after seeing these pics told me that it is a body armour with pouches and is very light weight..he told me its 250 gms but i havent seen it in real life so cant say anything.

Feel free to disagree as i am only sharing what i am told and am not speaking from personal experience...

They are called plate carries.They are a bit different from the Bullet Resistant vests, unlike them they do not have soft armour panels that is no kevlar is present only the plates are carried.They weigh around 500gms to a 2KG's without plates.Both softarmour panels plates can be added to the Plate Carriers.They are mostly used by light infantry and special forces who need more mobility.

BTW if you see this pic you can easily make out that it is NOT a tactical vest but a bullet proof.

indiantavor3.jpg

Correct, if you see more clearly you'll notice the straps that are used to fasten the Assault Vest which is worn above the Bullet Resistant Vest/Plate Carrier.As far as I know only the MARCOS as of now have integrated PALS webbing in their vests.

@ COLDHEARTED AVIATOR
I have a few questions for you....

Army to get modern bullet-proof jackets

What happened to this deal ??? Is it finalised ?? If yes then which one is selected ?? When are they gonna enter in the service ???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened to multi caliber assault rifle deal ??? When are the filed test due ??? When the deal likely to be signed and when production will start ??

Whats going on here ?? Any more news on this ??? Is OFB participating in IA's multi caliber assault rifle competition ??? Also whats with this new 6.8 mm caliber ??? How important/good is it or its just unnecessary development ?? Is there a requirement for this new 6.8 mm ??? Where it will be used when we will purchase assault rifle from a foreign vendor ?? How is Milap and Trichy assault rifle performing in the test or no test yet ??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RFI were issued for all these also :

Any progress here ??/ When the deal likely to be signed ???

To be honest i have no clue just like you.I cant comment on what will be inducted when as my sources are not at such a high level where planinng or the decision making process for the induction occurs and all these things are limited to a few people.The rest of the Army doesnt have any idea just like me and you.

If you have anything else to ask beside the induction on the current available things or anything related to operations then you can PM me.

Yep, check out my post #156, that's what I believe- regular (non SF) PARAs took part as counterparts to the US airborne forces.

Back
Top Bottom