What's new

Philippine 2016 Presidential Elections

Cossack25A1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
After every six years, the Philippines holds the national elections where the Filipinos vote for a new president, vice-president and senators; the last election was back in 2010, where the current president, Benigno S. Aquino III won. Six months from now, the Philippines will be voting for a new president and vice-president, which will be in power from 2016 up to 2022. Each major contenders for the presidential position has different platforms that could affect the local policies and specially the foreign policies of the Philippines.

Unlike in the United States, the Philippines has a multi-party system (in contrast, the US only has the Republicans and Democrats), and the winning president and vice-president may came from different parties (for example, the president came from "Party A" while the vice-president came from "Party E")

The following news article mentions the four major contenders for the upcoming election.

-----

4 major contenders emerge in Philippine presidential election to be held next year
Published October 17, 2015
Associated Press

MANILA, Philippines – At least four major contenders have emerged in next year's presidential race in the Philippines after a weeklong registration of candidates closed Friday.

It has been nearly three decades since the country of 100 million emerged from dictatorship after the 1986 "people power" revolt, and under President Benigno Aquino III, the economy has been growing steadily. His predecessor has been detained on an elections fraud charge and three senators were separately detained on corruption charges under Aquino's anti-graft fight.

But poverty, corruption, crime and insurgencies remain daunting challenges, and past elections have been marred by fraud and violence, including the massacre of 58 people when followers of a candidate at odds with a warlord clan filed papers in a southern province months ahead of the 2010 vote.

The Commission on Elections said 130 candidates had registered for president and 19 for vice president. Most are unknown, and the commission said "nuisance" candidates who cannot mount a national campaign will be disqualified. More than 18,000 congressional and local posts will be decided in the May 9 election.

A look at the main contenders:

___

NAME POWER: GRACE POE

Although she lacks a formidable political party, independent candidate Sen. Grace Poe has a crucial advantage — name recognition — in a country where many are swayed more by personalities than policy issues. Her mother and late father are among the most popular movie couples of all time.

The 47-year-old also has a poignant life story. As a newborn, she was abandoned in a church, and later adopted by her celebrity parents. A political neophyte, she topped the senatorial elections in 2013 and has led in recent polls among potential presidential contenders. But she faces questions over her citizenship.

Poe renounced her Filipino citizenship when she moved to the United States to live with her husband, an American man of Filipino descent, and became an American. She became Filipino again a few years after returning to the Philippines in 2005. A lawyer has filed a complaint to have her candidacy voided, arguing that she was a foundling and cannot meet a constitutional requirement for aspirants to be natural-born Filipinos.

___

PRESIDENT'S PICK: MANUEL "MAR" ROXAS II

Former Interior Secretary Manuel "Mar" Roxas II has several factors in his favor for next year's race: He's the ruling Liberal Party's bet, has a presidential pedigree and, most importantly, is the choice of outgoing President Aquino, who remains popular. He's the grandson of the Philippines' first post-World War II president, a son of a prominent senator who opposed dictator Ferdinand Marcos and a scion of a wealthy political clan.

He was an investment banker before being drawn into politics in 1993 with a successful congressional run. Once a trade secretary, he's credited for helping the Philippines become one of the world's top outsourcing and call center hubs. Roxas, 58, served under President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, but later became one of her sharpest critics when corruption allegations against her emerged.

Critics blame Roxas for transport woes and widespread crimes that plagued the public when he was at the top of the transport and interior and local government departments, which were in charge of those problems. He has long suffered from low ratings, but they have improved lately.

___

TOP TO UNDERDOG: JEJOMAR BINAY

A former human rights lawyer who says he rose from poverty through hard work, including collecting pig slop, Vice President Jejomar Binay helped fight Marcos as an activist. After the strongman fell in 1986, Binay started to build a name in politics as mayor of Makati city, the country's version of Wall Street. In 2010, he was elected vice president and was given extra posts to oversee housing concerns and the welfare of millions of overseas Filipino workers, which helped make him popular.

Binay's survey ratings, however, started to dip when he faced allegations of corruption, including the use of dummy businessmen for vast real estate properties, which were investigated in months of televised Senate grillings that he skipped and called a political farce. The 72-year-old has denied any wrongdoing. In an independent voter-preference survey last month, Binay placed a strong third among the top four contenders.

___

FEISTY SENATOR: MIRIAM SANTIAGO

Sen. Miriam Santiago is running for president for the third time, narrowly losing in 1992 to Fidel Ramos, a former military general who helped lead the 1986 revolt, before finishing seventh among 10 candidates in 1998. The 70-year-old senator, a former law professor and trial court judge, is best known for her sharp tongue, sarcasm and testy demeanor on the public stage.

When she headed the graft-ridden immigration commission, she lashed back at employees who resisted her reforms and demanded her ouster with an unforgettable quip: "They should be chopped into a thousand pieces and fed to the sharks in Manila Bay. But it is problematic whether the sharks will eat them, out of a sense of professional courtesy!"

In 1995, Santiago won a seat in the Senate, where she would later challenge a fellow senator to a fist fight. She has taken a stand against U.S. interests, calling for the termination of the U.S.-Philippines Visiting Forces Agreement, which, she contends, violates Philippine laws. In a dramatic public disclosure last year, she said she had stage-4 lung cancer, but now says that the cancer has regressed and that she is fit to run for president again.

-----
4 major contenders emerge in Philippine presidential election to be held next year | Fox News
-----

As for the Vice President, several contenders are the following.

Bongbong Marcos running for vice president in 2016
By CNN Philippines Staff
Updated 01:22 AM PHT Tue, October 6, 2015

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Sen. Ferdinand 'Bongbong' Marcos Jr. announced on Monday (October 5) that he run for the vice presidency in the 2016 elections.

"I have decided to run for Vice President in the May 2016 elections," Marcos said in a statement posted on his website.

The senator first entered politics when he was elected vice governor of Ilocos Norte in 1981 at the age of 23. He then became the governor of the province, serving 1983 to 1986.

This was cut short by the 1986 EDSA Revolution. Several years after his family went into exile in the United States, Marcos returned to the Philippines.

He ran as Ilocos Norte second district representative in 1992 and won a three-year term.

In 1995, he tried his luck at the Senate but lost. Three years later, he returned to his province and served as governor before going back to the halls of Congress in 2007.

In 2010, he finally landed a seat at the Senate.

Talks with Duterte, Binay

The senator, who is the son of former President Ferdinand Marcos, said that talks of teaming up with certain presidential candidates were mere speculations.

According to Marcos, he consulted with Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, who he said promised him support.

"I too will support Mayor Duterte if and when he runs for president," Marcos said.

Marcos also revealed that he was invited to be the vice presidential candidate of United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) bet Jejomar Binay but talks did not prosper.

"There were initial talks between our supporters. But any team up with the Vice President must be rooted on a shared vision for our country, a common platform of government as well as political perspectives."

Marcos added: "Unfortunately it would be difficult for me to tame our political differences."

The announcement of Marcos came hours after Liberal Party announced the vice presidential bid of Rep. Leni Robredo.

Apart from Marcos and Robredo, Senators Francis Escudero, Alan Peter Cayetano and Antonio Trillanes IV have likewise declared their vice presidential bid.

Below is the full statement of Sen. Bongbong Marcos Jr.:

I have decided to run for Vice President in the May 2016 elections.

All these talks of teaming up with certain leading presidential candidates have been mere speculations.

I flew to Davao City on Wednesday and consulted with Mayor Rodrigo Duterte. He was gracious enough to promise me his support should I decide to run for Vice President. I too will support Mayor Duterte if and when he runs for President.

Regarding Vice President Jejomar Binay, I was invited to be his Vice-Presidential candidate. There were initial talks between our supporters. But any team up with the Vice President must be rooted on a shared vision for our country, a common platform of government as well as political perspectives.

Unfortunately it would be difficult for me to tame our political differences.

For one thing, I believe that elected officials have an obligation to our people to help change the course of our nation’s history by banishing the politics of personality which to me is one of the primary causes why our country today has become a soft state where the rich become richer, the poor become poorer, graft and corruption is endemic, the drug menace pervades, injustice is the norm and government incompetence is accepted.

Consequently, I have decided to put my political fortune in the hands of the Filipino people. I humbly ask them to judge whether or not I am worthy of their trust to be Vice President on the strength of my performance as a public servant in the last 26 years: first as former Vice Governor and Governor of Ilocos Norte, then as Representative of the 2nd District of Ilocos Norte and, finally, as Senator of the country.

Thank you and may God bless us all.

-----
Bongbong Marcos running for vice president in 2016 - CNN Philippines
-----

Trillanes: I will run for vice president in 2016
By: Maila Ager
INQUIRER.net
12:27 PM March 19th, 2015

MANILA, Philippines — Senator Antonio “Sonny” Trillanes IV announced on Thursday his intention to run for vice president in 2016

Trillanes made this declaration during a weekly forum in the Senate when asked about his low ranking in the latest Pulse Asia survey.

He said his low ranking in the presidential survey was “irrelevant” since he was not running for president anyway.

“Vice president ang tatakbuhan natin (I am running for vice president),”said the senator.

Trillanes made it clear though that it was just his “personal preference” and he would submit to the decision of his group, which is the Nacionalista Party (NP).

“This is my personal decision. Wala pa ‘yung party decision. The party decision will come much later,” he said.

“I’m expressing my personal preference. (As I said), I will submit to the party decision,” the senator added.

The NP, he said, will hold preliminary discussions before the end of April and would make a decision probably in the middle of the year.

Trillanes said among the options of the party would be to field its own standard-bearer in 2016, form a coalition with the Liberal Party or any other groups, and adopt an independent candidate.

Asked who he thinks would be his strongest contender in the vice presidential race, Trillanes said: “Marami dyan. Maraming mas masikat pa sa atin —sina Escudero, baka sina Duterte (There are a lot. There are those who are more popular than I am—like Escudero and Duterte)…”

He was referring to Senator Franciz “Chiz” Escudero and Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, who is now being floated as a possible presidential bet in 2016.

“Even si Vice President (Jejomar) Binay baka umulit,” the senator added.

Binay though has publicly declared his presidential bid in 2016. He is also the leading candidate based on various surveys.

-----
Trillanes: I will run for vice president in 2016 | Inquirer News
-----

Leni Robredo: The reluctant candidate now seeks VP post in 2016
October 5, 2015
11:24am

Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Gerona Robredo has accepted the Liberal Party’s offer to become its vice presidential candidate, more than two weeks after being asked to be former Interior Secretary Mar Roxas' running mate in the 2016 elections.

Robredo earlier expressed reluctance to run for vice president due to her three daughter’s opposition, and because she feels there are other politicians more qualified than her to assume the position.

In an interview at the House of Representatives last September 28, Robredo said her children are reluctant about her possible vice presidential bid because they are wary of the attacks that could be launched against her once the campaign season comes full swing.

“Kailangan kong sagutin ang apprehensions ng mga bata. Alam nating sa elections, kahit anong ayos ng gawa mo, nagiging vicious ang ibang mga tao. Kailangan kong masiguro na mapo-protektahan ko ang mga anak ko,” she said.

The unassuming widow of the late former Naga City Mayor and erstwhile Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo is on her first term as a member of the House of Representatives.

Prior to entering politics, Robredo worked as a lawyer for the Sentro ng Alternatibong Lingap Pang Legal (Saligan), a nongovernment organization dedicated to empowering members of marginalized sectors. For a decade, she did pro-bono legal work for clients which include farmers, urban poor, and indigenous peoples.

Following the death of Jesse in 2012 in a plane crash, public clamor for Robredo to run as the congressional representative of the 3rd district of Camarines Sur grew as she was seen as a viable candidate against Nelly Villafuerte, a member of the powerful political clan which had long held sway in the province.

Though she was only convinced at the last minute to run for Congress, Robredo defeated Villafuerte in the 2013 polls.

At present, Robredo serves as vice chair of the House of Representatives committees on good governance and public accountability, and revision of laws. She is also a member of 11 House panels.

In the 16th Congress, Robredo has advocated for the passage of the Freedom of Information (FOI) bill, and the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL).

She is one of the primary authors of the proposed Tax Incentives Management and Transparency Act (TIMTA), which is a priority measure of the Aquino administration.

Robredo has a degree in Economics from the University of the Philippines and a law degree from the University of Nueva Caceres. — ALG/RSJ, GMA News

-----
Leni Robredo: The reluctant candidate now seeks VP post in 2016 | News | GMA News Online
-----

VLOG: Chiz Escudero declares VP bid; Grace Poe-Chiz Escudero in 2016
The Poe-Escudero tandem – locked and loaded for the upcoming 2016 elections. But what about their action plan?

Rappler.com
Published 7:38 PM, September 17, 2015
Updated 7:41 PM, September 17, 2015

After months of speculations, the tandem of Senators Grace Poe and Francis Escudero are officially proclaimed, after Escudero himself declared his vice presidential bid on Thursday, September 17.

CHIZ ESCUDERO, VICE-PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Ito po ang dahilan kung bakit tinatanggap ko, ng may buong tapang at pagpapa-kumbaba ang hamon ni Senator Grace na maging katuwang niya sa landas niyang tatahakin bilang kanyang ikalawang pangulo.

The colors blue and red fill Kalayaan Hall in Club Filipino, as a sign of support to Poe and Escudero, the first tandem to declare for 2016.

Escudero's family joins him, as well as his wife's family... while Poe is with her mother Susan Roces.

In front of friends, family, and politicians, Poe endorses Escudero as the next “vice president” of the Philippines. After all, she earlier said she would be more comfortable to run with her friend and ally.

GRACE POE, PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: So ngayong araw, ikinagagalak ko na sabihin sa inyo na hinihingi ko ang inyong suporta para sa ating maasahan na manilbihan sa atin, ang ating pangalawang pangulo Sen. Chiz Escudero.

Poe admires Escudero’s supposed loyalty to their family, saying he stayed when others left them and kept quiet.

But Poe is quick to say friendship is not the sole factor in choosing Escudero, as she says Escudero is trustworthy and capable.

Escudero, in an apparent reaction to critics, reiterates no group has the ‘monopoly’ of good governance as pushed by the Aquino administration.

Escudero and Poe met with President Benigno Aquino III several times but to no avail. The Liberal Party continued publicly wooing Poe to be Roxas’ partner, until Wednesday, when Poe declared her presidential bid against Mar Roxas.

In his speech, Escudero assures the public that Poe will establish a GP, a play on Poe’s initials – Gobyernong may Puso or Government with Heart.

Escudero maintains he and Poe are independent, even as they seek the endorsement of the 2nd biggest political party, the Nationalist People’s Coalition.
CHIZ ESCUDERO, VICE-PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Naniniwala po kami na ang sinumang tumatakbo o maninilbihan bilang pangulo o ikalawang-pangulo, hindi dapat miyembro ng iisang partido (LP, NPC, NUP, NP, UNA o ano pa man). Ang dapat na partido ay Pilipinas!

Now that their tandem is certain, how are the two going to fight it out in a 3-way presidential race?

While the two have given their plan of action, they have yet to give specific details on how they plan to do this.

How will they differentiate themselves, as critics say they are hardly different from the party they declined to join.

Camille Elemia, Rappler, Manila. – Rappler.com

-----
VLOG: Chiz Escudero declares VP bid; Grace Poe-Chiz Escudero in 2016
-----

Unfortunately, there are several "unqualified" people running for political positions in 2016, many of them are from the showbiz sector.

List of Celebrities Who Will Run in the 2016 Philippine Elections

Posted by pandong'
On 9 October,2015 | In Entertainment, Politics

So far, the expected known presidentiables are VP Jejomar Binay, former DILG Secretary Mar Roxas, and Senator Grace Poe. Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte is also expected to run. For vice president, we have Senator Chiz Escudero (for Poe) and Congresswoman Leni Robredo (for Roxas), senators Bongbong Marcos, Alan Peter Cayetano and Antonio Trillanes.

Nevertheless, here are the celebrity-politicians who will run in the upcoming 2016 election:

Joseph ‘Erap’ Estrada – Yes, the 78-year old former president and now Manila mayor is running for reelection in 2016. His colorful political career started when he ran for mayor of San Juan in 1967 and held the position until 1986. Erap was elected senator (1987-1992) and vice president (1992-1997).

Congressman Manny Pacquiao – The Pinoy boxing icon recently announced that he will run for senator in 2016. The 8-division boxing champion first entered in politics in 2007, and ran for congressman of General Santos but lost. He won in 2010 as congressman of Sarangani.

Must Read: * Why I Will Not Vote Manny Pacquiao for Senator in 2016, and Why You Shouldn’t Too

Senator Vicente ‘Tito’ Sotto – After he became vice of Quezon City (1988-1992), he served two terms in the Senate (1992-2004). A former comedian and one of the main hosts of the Philippines’ longest running noontime show, Eat Bulaga, He will running for senator again.

Vilma Santos – Wife of Senator Ralph Recto and former mayor of Lipa City, Batangas, the Star of All Seasons is on her second term as governor of Batangas. She was earlier invited to run for vice president but has decided to run for congresswoman of Batangas instead.

Senator Lito Lapid – A former action star and Vice-Governor (1992-1995) and Governor of Pampanga (2004-2010), the second-termed senator announced last May his plan to run for mayor of Angeles City in Pampanga, joking that he does not belong to the Senate.

Mark Lapid – Son of Senator Lito Lapid, the former action star served as Pampanga governor from 2004 to 2007. He is the current chief operating officer of the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA), as appointed by President Noynoy Aquino.

Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista – A comedian during his younger years, Bistek as he is known in showbiz has served as vice mayor of Quezon City (1995-1998 and 2001-2010), recently announced he withdrew his senatorial bid and will run as QC mayor again.

Isko Moreno – Born Francisco Domagoso, the former That’s Entertainment star served as a councilor of 1st District of Manila for three consecutive terms (1998-2007). He is on his second term as vice mayor of Manila, and will run for senator under UNA, VP Binay’s political party.

Alma Moreno – Born Vanessa Moreno Lacsamana, the former actress lost her Paranaque mayoral bid in 2004. Nevertheless, she was elected as the city’s councilor in 2007 and was re-elected in 2007. She will run for senator under UNA, VP Binay’s political party.

Edu Manzano – Former husband of actress Vilma Santos and father of actor Luis Manzano, Edu was elected as vice mayor of Makati City from 1998 to 2001. He ran for vice president as running mate of presidential candidate Gilbert Teodoro but lost. He will run for senator in 2016.

E.R. Ejercito – Nephew of former President and now Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada, Ejercito served as mayor of Pagsanjan, Laguna (2001-2010) and was elected as Laguna governor in 2010. Despite being disqualified in May 2014 due to alleged campaign overspending he will run for reelection in 2016.

Dan Fernandez – The former actor was elected Vice Governor of Laguna from 2001 to 2004. He ran for governor in 2004 but lost, but was elected as representative of 1st District of the province, and his running again as Vice Governor of E.R Ejercito.

Lani Mercado-Revilla – Contrary to earlier rumors, the wife of jailed Senator Ramon ‘Bong’ Revilla Jr will not run for senator. Instead, the actress who is now on her second term as as congresswoman of 2nd district of Cavite will run for mayor of Bacoor, Cavite in 2016.

Jolo Revilla – Son of Senator Bong Revilla and Congresswoman Lani Mercado-Revilla, he was elected as Cavite vice-governor in 2013, making him the youngest elected vice governor in the Philippines. He is running for reelection in 2016.

Alfred Vargas – Elected as councilor of 2nd District of Quezon City in 2010 with the second-highest number of votes, the model-actor was elected as congressman representing the newly-created Fifth District of Quezon City. He will run for reelection in 2016.

Daniel Fernando – The original Scorpio Nights actor started his political career in 1996 when he was elected as Provincial Board Member of the 2nd District of Bulacan. He was elected as the vice governor of the said province in 2010 and will run for reelection in 2016.

Imelda Papin – Dubbed as the Juke Box Queen, the ‘Isang Linggong Pag-ibig’ singer ran for governor of Camarines Sur in 1995 but lost. She was elected as Camarines Sur Vice Governor for two terms (198-2004). She lost in 2004 when she ran for congresswoman in the province’s fourth district, and lost again in 2010 when she ran for senator. Her fourth lost was when she ran for congresswoman in Bulacan in 2013. She is again running for congresswoman of Camarines Sur.

Yul Servo – The actor is now on his third and last term as councilor of 3rd district of Manila. He is now running for congressman of the said district.

Richard Gomez – The multi-awarded actor ran for senator in 2007 but lost. He ran in 2010 as congressman of Ormoc, Leyte but was disqualified after he failed to establish sufficient residency. After losing his mayoralty bid in 2013, he will try his luck again in 2016.

Jomari Yllana – The actor-model is running for councilor of 1st district of Paranaque, a position his older brother Anjo held from 1998 to 2004.

Roderick Paulate – The former child star and actor-comedian was elected as councilor of 2nd District of Quezon City in 2010. He is running for reelection.

Vandolf – Son of Comedy King Dolphy and actress-politician Alma Moreno, the former child star and is still active in showbiz announced last month that he will enter politics for the first time and will run for councilor in Parañaque City under the ruling Liberal Party (LP).

Jhong Hilario – The ‘It’s Showtime’ host will run for councilor of Makati City, as his father Virgilio Hilario Sr is already on his second term. He will run under VP Binay’s UNA (United Nationalist Alliance).

Monsour del Rosario – The actor-taekwondo champion is currently on his first term as a councilor of first district of Makati City, and is running for reelection.

Rico J. Puno – The OPM icon was elected as Councilor of the first district of Makati City for 3 terms (1998 to 2007). Dubbed as the Total Entertainer, he ran as vice mayor of Makati in 2010 but lost. He is running for councilor again of first district of Makati City.

Ronnie Ricketts – After action movies went dry, former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo appointed him as Chairman of Optical Media Board (OMB) in 2009. He is now entering politics for the first time, and will run for Congressman of Muntinlupa.

Angelica Jones – Currently serving as Board Member representing the 3rd district of Laguna, the singer-actress will run for reelection in 2016.

Roselle Nava – The 90s singer will for reelection as councilor of 1st district of Paranaque City.

Daisy Reyes – Crowned as Bb. Pilipinas-World in 1996, the actress is running for reelection as councilor of Pateros.

Andrea del Rosario – The actress-model and former Viva Hot Babes member is running for vice mayor of Calatagan, Batangas.

Inday Garutay – Born Christopher Borja, the former singer-comedian will run for councilor of San Juan.

------

LIVE list: Celebrity political aspirants for 2016 elections
(philstar.com)
Updated October 16, 2015 - 9:56am

MANILA, Philippines – There’s a thin line between politics and showbiz here in the Philippines.

Celebrities are among the political aspirants who formally submitted their certificates of candidacy at the Commission on Election.

Here is an updated list of individuals who have filed the document for candidacy.

[LIVE article to load below]

Names of celebrities who filed for national posts, Updated Oct. 15, 2015, 1:35 p.m.

Day 1 to 3
National level:

1. Edu Manzano: Senator
  2. Alma Moreno: Senator
Local level:
  1. Herbert Bautista: Re-election Mayor, Quezon City
  2. Roderick Paulate: Re-election Councilor, 2nd district Quezon City
  3. Alfred Vargas: Councilor, 2nd district of Quezon City
  4. Jhong Hilario: Councilor, Makati
  5. Charee Pineda: Re-election Councilor, Valenzuela City
  6. Lance Reymundo: Councilor, San Juan
  7. Ericka Villongco: Councilor, San Juan
  8. Vandolph Quizon: Councilor, Paranaque
  9. Jomari Ylana: Councilor, Paranaque 1st district
  10. Ronnie Rickets: Representative, Muntinlupa
  11. Daisy Reyes: Re-election Councilor, Pateros
  12. Alex Castro: Provincial Board member, Bulacan
  13. Jolo Revilla: Re-election Vice Governor, Cavite
  14. Vilma Santos: Congresswoman, Batangas
  15. Andrea del Rosario: Vice Mayor, Calatagan, Batangas
  16. ER Ejercito: Governor, Laguna
  17. Imelda Papin: Congresswoman, Camarines Sur
  18. Lani Mercado: Mayor, Bacoor, Cavite
Day 4
Local Level:
1. Angelica Jones: Governor, Laguna
2. Rico J. Puno: Councilor, Makati CIty

Day 5
Local Level:
1. Daniel Fernando: Re-election Vice Governor, Bulacan
2. Hubert Webb: Councilor, Paranaque
3. Richard Gomez: Mayor, Ormoc City

National Level:
1. Isko Moreno: Senator

-----
LIVE list: Celebrity political aspirants for 2016 elections | Entertainment, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com
-----

In my opinion, it is because of these people why the Philippine politics is not only becoming a joke, but also a sort of popularity politics. A bastardized (pardon for my language) form of democracy that unwittingly establishes a form of oligarchy - where the rich, political dynasties and showbiz personalities are at the top.

Last edited:
The website The Diplomat then states the geopolitical aspects of the 2016 Philippine election as the Philippines is currently involved in a territorial dispute with China. Who ever wins the elections could either continue the current policies, or reverse the current policies.

-----

The Geopolitical Stakes of the 2016 Philippine Elections
The outcome of next year’s presidential election will have significant implications for the country’s foreign policy.

By Jeffrey Ordaniel
May 28, 2015

For almost four years now, the Philippines has been Southeast Asia’s fastest growing major economy. Once dubbed the “sick man” of Asia, the country’s image has enjoyed a turnaround under President Benigno Aquino III. The Philippines sovereign credit rating has been upgraded from junk to investment grade by all major credit rating agencies. Though still lagging its peers in ASEAN, foreign direct investment and tourism figures have all seen remarkable upticks. Investments in human and economic infrastructure through public-private partnerships, overseas development assistance, and other schemes have been unprecedented under the current administration, despite bureaucratic and other delays.

Most significantly, though, Aquino’s foreign policy has made headlines around the world. Specifically, Manila has drawn closer to Washington. In April 2014, the two treaty-allies signed the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA), which will soon see American troops with their air and naval assets rotate through Philippine military bases, including Subic Bay and Palawan, both facing the contested South China Sea. The Philippines also filed a case against China through a UN-backed court to invalidate the infamous nine-dashed line map in the South China Sea, while simultaneously internationalizing the disputes, connecting them to wider international concerns such as freedom of navigation and access to global commons. The legal move is the boldest yet among ASEAN-claimant countries. Both the EDCA, an external balancing act, and the arbitration case, an appeal to the rule of law and for favorable global public opinion, represent Manila’s resolve in defending its sovereign claims and maritime entitlements in the South China Sea.

Meanwhile, the Philippines has embarked on a modest military modernization program that, if realized, will give its armed forces submarines and other assets required for the military’s envisioned “minimum credible defense” capabilities by 2020. Overall, Manila’s South China Sea policy under Aquino has been to internationalize, to legalize, and to balance China.

However, come May 2016, the country’s economic, security, and foreign policies will all enter a state of flux, as the Philippines gears up to hold its fifth presidential election since returning to democracy in 1986. The ruling Liberal Party has yet to decide on its presidential ticket for next year’s election, but Aquino has already indicated that Manuel “Mar” Roxas II, the current secretary of Interior and Local Government and a losing vice-presidential candidate in 2010, is his top choice for a successor. In an interview with the local media, the president said of Roxas, “He has demonstrated quite a wide range of expertise in so many different assignments. He is a valuable member of the Cabinet. He has been a staunch leader of the party… And he has demonstrated the ability to sacrifice, previously, for instance, when he gave way to me. So all of these traits should point out that he is – to my mind, as far as our coalition is concerned – at the top of the list.”

In fact, Roxas was supposed to run for president in 2010, when he was at his prime in terms of name recognition and popularity, but gave way to Aquino whose own mass appeal and corruption-free image were catapulted by the sudden death of his mother, democracy icon and former President Cory Aquino in 2009.

However, Roxas has not been performing well in recent opinion polls. Currently leading the pack is Vice President Jejomar Binay of the opposition party, United Nationalist Alliance. Binay’s populist platform, which focuses on social welfare programs for the poor, seems to be resonating. However, the vice-president is hounded by allegations of massive corruption during his long stint as mayor of the country’s financial district, Makati. The country’s Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) was recently successful in urging the courts to freeze Binay’s bank accounts, and those of his immediate family members and alleged fronts. AMLC argued that the total of the bank accounts and transactions in question had reached 16 billion pesos (about $358 million) since 2008, amounts inconsistent with statutory declarations made. Since that revelation, Binay has seen his trust ratings plummet, although he still holds the lead in presidential polls.

Binay’s answer to these allegations is a blanket denial, dismissing them as politically motivated. Still, opinion polls in the coming months may move against him, especially as the case against the vice-president moves forward in court.

Because the Philippines has a weak, multi-party system, the ruling party is also reportedly eyeing neophyte Senator Grace Poe, an independent, as its alternative standard-bearer, if not as the vice-presidential partner of the less popular Roxas. Grace is the daughter of Fernando Poe, the losing opponent of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in the 2004 election, an election Arroyo critics say was largely rigged. Should the ruling party play it safe, Poe will be its presidential candidate. Should she win, she will be the third woman to rule the Philippines.

Diplomatic Implications

These domestic political dynamics in the Philippines could prove to be very consequential in Manila’s diplomacy in the years ahead. Already, Binay has indicated that he would have a different China policy than the one pursued by Aquino. Local media quoted him recently as saying, “we have to accept the fact that China has all the capital and we have the property over there, so why don’t we try to develop that property as a joint venture?” China has long called for joint development in the South China Sea, but other claimant-states’ unease with Beijing’s premise of “indisputable sovereignty” has prevented any progress on the idea.

Apparently, Binay has also not been briefed on why a joint venture with China on equal terms would be a violation of the country’s constitution, the document he would have to vow to defend should he be elected president. But some in the Philippine Left – who have always been against an American presence in the country – have already expressed support for Binay, among them University of the Philippines Professor Harry Roque, who has asked the country’s Supreme Court to block the implementation of EDCA and declare the U.S.-Philippine deal unconstitutional.

Already, Binay’s stated China doctrine has drawn criticism from the West. Scholar Malcolm Cook wrote, “If Binay wins and follows through on these views, it would be a return to the policy preferred by Aquino’s predecessor, President Macapagal-Arroyo… The foreshadowing of a second reversal of Philippines policy on its maritime boundary dispute with China in two presidential terms shows how divided the Philippine political elite and their financial backers are on this issue and its place in Philippines-China relations. A second reversal in two presidential terms would rightfully reinforce views within ASEAN, and in Washington and Tokyo, about the unreliability of the flip-flopping Philippines, and would throw into doubt the wisdom of aligning their South China Sea approaches with the policy prevailing in Manila at any given moment.” It goes without saying that a Binay win would give China reason to celebrate.

If the Liberal Party’s candidate wins, either Roxas or Poe, a continuity of policy, for at least six more years, is likely. It would signal consistency in the Philippines’ relations with the U.S., which has recently stepped up its South China Sea engagements in a bid to delegitimize China’s land reclamation in disputed areas. It would also be good news for Japan, which has been calling for greater rule of law in East Asia, a call echoed by Aquino’s decision to pursue a court case against Beijing. As the standard-bearer of the ruling party, Roxas is expected to largely continue Aquino’s foreign policy direction.

It is also worth noting that Poe formerly held both Filipino and American citizenship. She renounced her dual-citizenship and reverted back to being a “natural-born Filipino” before serving the Aquino Government in 2010. Hence, an anti-American foreign policy would be least expected from a Poe presidency. Overall, a consensus in the ruling party is slowly forming and its members seem to be zeroing in on a Roxas-Poe or Poe-Roxas presidential ticket to take on the populist Binay.

In May 2016, both Washington and Beijing will have something at stake in an election that will very likely demonstrate the interplay of a country’s domestic politics and its foreign policy choices.

-----
The Geopolitical Stakes of the 2016 Philippine Elections | The Diplomat
-----

On the other hand, Rappler's news article states that China could be an issue concerning the upcoming elections.

China to be PH election issue in 2016 – analyst
Analysts say Vice President Jejomar Binay will take a 'more moderate,' and 'unpopular' position on China if he wins as president in 2016

Ayee Macaraig

Published 11:00 AM, June 09, 2015
Updated 11:00 AM, June 09, 2015

MANILA, Philippines – Will the next Philippine chief executive follow President Benigno Aquino III's lead in criticizing and suing China or will his successor mend ties for economic leverage?

A China expert said that the Philippines' maritime dispute with China over the South China Sea (West Philippine Sea) will play a crucial role in the 2016 polls.

Chito Sta Romana, a former Beijing bureau chief for the US news group ABC News, told Rappler that Aquino's aggressive stance on Beijing, and the geopolitical power struggle between the US and China make foreign policy a major election issue.

“This could be the first presidential election where the China issue, an issue of foreign policy, could play an important role precisely because of the context we are in. All the candidates will have to state what their policy will be if they become president,” Sta Romana said in an interview on Monday, June 8.

Sta Romana said that the Philippines' historic arbitration case against China, and Beijing's massive land reclamation in the disputed sea make the choice of the next Philippine leader key to the future of Manila's foreign relations. The arbitral tribunal is expected to issue a ruling in early 2016.

“Whoever will become president will inherit the arbitration ruling, will inherit the land reclamation issue, and will inherit this escalating geopolitical rivalry between the US and China. So for this reason, I think it will play an important role. It bears watching what each candidate will say,” he said.

Only Vice President Jejomar Binay so far declared plans to run for president in the May 9, 2016 polls. This early, the opposition's standard-bearer already drew controversy for deviating from Aquino's position on China despite being a Cabinet member.

Binay wants a joint venture between Manila and Beijing to develop resources in the South China Sea. He also hopes to improve trade relations, saying “China has money. We need capital.”

Even US analysts already said that the Philippines might soften its stance on China with a change in administration. Ernest Bower of the Washington-based think tank Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) said that if Binay wins, he will have a different China policy.

“Binay by all accounts and by research we know is being courted by Chinese diplomats and being offered all sorts of incentives to steer the Philippines back towards a more moderate role to accommodate China's rise, particularly in the South China Sea. That won't be a popular position,” Bower said in a report on Voice of America.

The Diplomat said that the elections will also determine how Manila will deal with other allies like Japan, which also has a territorial row with China over islands in the East China Sea.

"Even if strong structural factors continue to pull Japan and the Philippines together in the future, Aquino’s successor following the 2016 elections may want to tweak the balance of Manila’s alignments with major powers."

Sta Romana expects all candidates to say they will defend Philippine interests in the dispute but the issue is how.

“The questions will be in the nuances or the details: joint venture? Do you have a negotiation or do we file another case? These are the different options of what to do.”

The next Philippine president will succeed two leaders with opposing China policies: Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo who was friendly with Beijing but stirred controversy for graft-tainted deals with Chinese firms like ZTE, and Aquino whose 'Nazi' comments and arbitration case caused Philippine-China ties to hit “almost rock bottom.” (READ: Why China prefers Arroyo over Aquino)

“We already experienced two extremes. From the time of President Arroyo, it's like close friendship with China at the time she had problems with the US. Now, in a sense, we're going all the way with USA and with Japan against China,” Sta Romana said.

Will China snub APEC in Manila?

A journalist who lived in China for over 3 decades, Sta Romana said that the next president can learn from the Philippines' neighbors. Other Southeast Asian nations continued high-level diplomatic relations with China while pursuing their claims on the South China Sea.

“Even Vietnam has not dropped bilateral high-level talks with China, what more Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei. We are in the sense in the frontline and a lot of people are getting a free ride on us. They are trying to see how far we will go in our legal approach. We are the only one. We are carrying the banner aligning with the US, with Japan, with Australia, in a sense with Vietnam, and trying to get ASEAN.”

In January, Philippine Foreign Affairs Spokesman Charles Jose said that Manila's diplomatic talks with China are limited only up to the director or assistant secretary level.

The Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs maintains that Manila has exhausted bilateral talks with China to resolve the maritime dispute, and will resume negotiations only when Manila secures a ruling from the arbitral tribunal.

Sta Romana said Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visited all countries in Southeast Asia, except the Philippines. “They have pointedly avoided the Philippines because of the situation.”

The president of the Philippine Association for Chinese Studies added that Manila should not choose between arbitration and diplomacy.

“It's not either/or. It's not a binary option. You can combine it. The key right now is to be able to prepare. After arbitration, the Philippine leadership has to consider going back to the negotiating table, use the clarity we achieve from a verdict of the arbitration to then hopefully gain more leverage but at the same time, seek international support.”

Sta Romana said the Philippines can use the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in November as an opportunity to improve ties with China. When Beijing hosted APEC last year, Aquino met with Chinese President Xi Jinping for the first time in a 10-minute informal talk.

“This is the year we are hosting APEC. The last thing we want is for the Chinese to boycott APEC because of this situation so I think there is a need to lower the temperature, the rhetoric.”

'Statesmanship, pragmatism'

Besides the arbitration ruling and the Philippine polls, the US presidential elections in 2016 will also determine the geopolitics at the backdrop of the South China Sea dispute.

Former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, one of the architects of the US "pivot" or rebalancing to Asia, is running for president. Bo
Sta Romana said all these factors make developments in the South China Sea uncertain.

“We're going through this difficult period because we're interlinked with arbitration, the geopolitical rivalry, and I think we will go through this if not for a couple of months, a whole year then we'll see what happens when a new administration takes over here and in the US.”

What is certain is that whoever succeeds Aquino, he or she will have major challenges on the foreign policy front.

“Our problem really is how to approach this issue in a way that will keep ASEAN unity intact and at the same time preserve our national interests and yet not escalate the geopolitical rivalry in the region,” he said.

“It's a formidable task, and it will call for a high level of statesmanship and pragmatism.” – Rappler.com

-----
China to be PH election issue in 2016 – analyst
-----

=================================================================================================================================

Aside from politics, there are also concerns about the economy of the Philippines - while there are corruption issues regarding former president Arroyo, there is some evidence that the current Aquino administration did benefit from some of the economic policies of the former Arroyo administration, even though some infrastructure projects were cancelled by the current Aquino administration.

Anyways, here are some articles regarding the PH economy's situation concerning the upcoming elections.

-----

Foreign investors jittery over PH 2016 presidential polls
Investors are also looking in general for a 'fresh face, not an old face,' says an analyst

Chris Schnabel
Published 8:07 PM, February 25, 2015
Updated 8:09 PM, February 25, 2015

MANILA, Philippines – Foreign investors are increasingly worried about whether the next administration would continue the economic policies instituted by the administration of President Benigno Aquino III.

“One question that investors increasingly ask us about the Philippines is ‘what about next year?’” referring to the 2016 presidential elections, said Frederic Neumann, co-head of the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) Asian Economic Research.

Neumann told a forum Wednesday, February 25, that while the Philippines is well-positioned to continue its economic gains for the short-term, the transition to the new administration is a source of concern and how such would impact economic reforms that are already in place.

Thus, HSBC’s Philippine gross domestic product (GDP) prediction for 2015 is down to 5.9%, but it upped its forecast to 6.1% in 2016.

Investors want a ‘fresh face’

Investment is generally abundant at the beginning of a term, but generally slows down during the final period of an administration, explained Neumann, stressing that this is true not only in the Philippines but with other countries as well.

However, political transitions in the Philippines have been more pronounced in the last two decades. While this perception is gradually fading, it is still present.

“The Philippines is a victim of its own past,” Neumann remarked.

In particular, investors are most cautious about the energy sector and the infrastructure projects under the public-private partnership (PPP) scheme, as these require massive funds and profit is often being hinged on government policies, Neumann cited.

“If you were to invest a billion dollars in a project, you would probably wait until you have more clarity on the policy front before going ahead with it,” he said.

Neumann though praised the Aquino administration, saying that 5 years ago, one could probably not have hoped for a better economic outcome.

Aquino is a “great consolidator” and probably what the country needed when elected.

Neumann added that the next president would ideally be "all about action” – a dealmaker who would push an increase of investment in infrastructure.

When pressed about which of the potential successors would best live up to that, Neumann said that investors are generally looking for a “fresh face, not an old face.”

Unusually good position

ECONOMIC MOMENTUM CONTINUES. Despite investor worries, the Philippines economy is still in a good position despite relatively stagnant economic growth globally, HSBC Asian Economic Research Co-Head Frederic Neumann said. Photo from HSBC

The Philippines is one of the consistent performers in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) for GDP growth.

The Philippines also has an unusually strong external position relative to its ASEAN neighbors. The country’s external debt stands at only about 20% of its GDP, the lowest in the region.

The country’s current accounts surplus is another bright spot standing at an estimated 4.4% of the GDP, the highest in ASEAN, mainly due to the steady tide of remittances from abroad.

Inflation is also not seen as a worry, with a forecasted 2.6 % increase year-on-year in 2015, leaving the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas plenty of breathing space.

HSBC also predicts the current 4% interest rate to remain unchanged at this year.

The Philippines will be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the low oil price, with oil imports accounting for as high as 3.75% of GDP.

Such is expected to boost consumption, which is the biggest driverof the economy at present Neumann noted.

He warned however that the country has to acknowledge that it is currently “free-riding a bit” on global economic conditions, specifically low global interest rates and oil prices.

A shift in policy toward attracting more investment from being predominantly consumption driven would further insulate the country from global economic fluctuations and make growth more sustainable in the long-term, Neumann said. – Rappler.com

-----
Foreign investors jittery over PH 2016 presidential polls
-----

2016 elections may spell economic, investment slowdown for 2015 – HSBC
February 25, 2015 5:53pm
By DANESSA O. RIVERA, GMA News

British banking giant HSBC Corporation Ltd. sees the Philippine economy slowing down a bit in 2015 before making a slight rebound in 2016 as investors start to downscale investments ahead of the 2016 national elections.

The Philippine economy is forecasted to grow by 5.9 percent this year and 6.1 percent in 2016, HSBC Asian Economic Research co-head Frederic Neumann told reporters in a briefing in Makati City.

"Anything around 6 percent in this global growth environment makes the Philippines one of the top performers and has been consistently in it for years," he said.

Neumann said bank's gross domestic product (GDP) forecast is based on the growing concerns among investors if the reforms implemented by the Aquino administration would be sustained after the 2016 elections – if policies will stay consistent, if focus on infrastructure will enhance, or if there will be a surprise shift in policy.

In Asia, the Philippines is placed as one of the fastest growing economy along with China, India and Vietnam, he noted.

Last year, the Philippine gross domestic product (GDP) grew by 6.1 percent, after accelerated government spending helped the economy recover in the fourth quarter. It was the second fastest growing economy in Asia, next to China.

In 2013, the Philippine economy grew by 7.2 percent.

"We sense that businesses and foreign investors are starting to maybe be a bit cautious about next year, because they would want to know what the future brings," he said.

"Before you commit yourself to long-term, big investment projects, you need to know what the policy environment is. Investments this year is actually slower, in part, because of the uncertainty," he added.

But if the new president in 2016 plans to build on the reforms by the Aquino administration, investments would "snap back very quickly," Neumann noted.

"But until then, the economy is going to be largely consumption supported rather than investment-supported," he said. – VS, GMA News

-----
2016 elections may spell economic, investment slowdown for 2015 – HSBC | Money | GMA News Online
-----

opruh/oproh is a extreme Sinophile Filipino...

Not surprising as there is another one here such as Fsjal.

No need to because me am true Filipino ikaw isa cheap chincom fake kinda like this

After a thread where insults got out of control, I suggest not to use "that word"...

And what do you think about the SCS island issue, May I ask?
Joint development between claimant countries but Noynoy is so greedy.

opruh/oproh is a extreme Sinophile Filipino...

Not surprising as there is another one here such as Fsjal.

After a thread where insults got out of control, I suggest not to use "that word"...
I just know what's better for the future of our country and that is working with China for development.

Joint development between claimant countries but Noynoy is so greedy.

I just know what's better for the future of our country and that is working with China for development.

Tell me this so you would allow them to take 80% of our territory plus our EZZ where majority of filipinos get their daily needs aka sea food etc? and flood the Philippine market of cheap junk to our already zombie industries especially our manufacturing and textile industry etc wow your true patriot:cheesy: troll go f yourself

It is your opinion, but I rather look at other countries, such as Japan.

basically anyone else other than china

oproh is a pinay i guess why would he lie about it

NoyNoy is a good president honest he may not be the best at least he is not a theifff

the Pinays has to choose the honest candidate i like the Mariam most and Mar is ok lang
but no one can beat RAMOS he was the best

the next president should let small time aliens business open up it iwill help a lot filipinos and make the visa to easy to get

Back
Top Bottom