What's new

Philippine 2016 Presidential Elections

I have to say oproh is the only filipino here who can think for himself. :tup:

p.s. is there any fotos of the candidates?
220px-Mar_Roxas_%282009%29.jpg

Mar Roxas

220px-VP_Binay.jpg

Jejomar Binay

220px-Miriam_beams_as_she_attends_a_wedding_as_a_sponsor.JPG

Miriam Defensor Santiago

800px-Grace_Poe_delivering_a_privilege_speech.jpg

Grace Poe

220px-Mar_Roxas_%282009%29.jpg

Mar Roxas

220px-VP_Binay.jpg

Jejomar Binay

220px-Miriam_beams_as_she_attends_a_wedding_as_a_sponsor.JPG

Miriam Defensor Santiago

800px-Grace_Poe_delivering_a_privilege_speech.jpg

Grace Poe
Thanks bud.. they look pretty young8-)
wow the Irony of that statement is so sweet
I mean you don‘t have to blindly follow your country’s policy every time right?considering the US hold many of the corrupted officials by the balls..(and their oversea bank accounts.)

That's why i said that many people have you're either with us, or against us mentality. This is particular bad especially in democratic country (same thing happened in my country). It is like if you are pro China (or CPC agenda), then you will be CPC internet trooper aka 50cents army.

I already stated sometime ago that it is better for them to have positive working relationship with China (and others around the world) instead of anti these or that. Learn a bit from SG, they are good with China and US.

But seems he is very alone among his nationalities. Most filipinos here attack his opinions.

That's why i said that many people have you're either with us, or against us mentality. This is particular bad especially in democratic country (same thing happened in my country). It is like if you are pro China (or CPC agenda), then you will be CPC internet trooper aka 50cents army.

I already stated sometime ago that it is better for them to have positive working relationship with China (and others around the world) instead of anti these or that. Learn a bit from SG, they are good with China and US.

Isn't it the same thing apply here in PDF to those who don't agree with China?

If we post statements here that is pro-Japan/West, some members here quickly label us as "Japan/West's puppets" and "traitors to our home country".

Last edited:
Thanks bud.. they look pretty young8-)

I mean you don‘t have to blindly follow your country’s policy every time right?considering the US hold many of the corrupted officials by the balls..(and their oversea bank accounts.)

Before you say ironic post like please go to the mirror and check yourself

Isn't it the same thing apply here in PDF to those who don't agree with China?

If we post statements here that is pro-Japan/West, some members here quickly label us as "Japan/West's puppets" and "traitors to our home country".

Because these people are hypocrites that's why kahit ano sabihin natin mali tayo kasi hindi natin suportanhan agenda nila agenda natin ang importante nag g@g@g0 lang tado na yan dont waste your time kabayan

But seems he is very alone among his nationalities. Most filipinos here attack his opinions.

Am attacking his anti chinoy sentiments and some of hist post but not everything he said unlike a democracy has conflicting opinion something foreign to you

You are neighbor of Singapore, so you should know them. As to my understanding, Singaporean make a lot of compromises. If based on ethnicity, culture, values, Singaporean should have kept closer ties with China than with America. But Singaporean balance the ties, sacrificed some relations with China, this is also the reason some Chinese always aren't satisfied with Singapore.( I am not one, I support Singapore's diplomatic policy. )
But Philippines etc don't want to sacrifice any relations with US to balance the ties with China. I don't know if I make my point understood?

You are neighbor of Singapore, so you should know them. As to my understanding, Singaporean make a lot of compromises. If based on ethnicity, culture, values, Singaporean should have kept closer ties with China than with America. But Singaporean balance the ties, sacrificed some relations with China, this is also the reason some Chinese always aren't satisfied with Singapore.( I am not one, I support Singapore's diplomatic policy. )
But Philippines etc don't want to sacrifice any relations with US to balance the ties with China. I don't know if I make my point understood?

Again your post is pointless

As election nears, investors reassess the Philippines after Aquino
By Karen Lema
Reuters – Tue, Nov 3, 2015

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines' election is still six months away, but already investors are seeking reassurance that whoever replaces outgoing President Benigno Aquino will honour his clean and competent style of government.

Aquino must step down next year, after reaching the end of the single six-year term permitted by the constitution, and 130 candidates have nominated to replace him, including one who claims to be an extraterrestrial ambassador.

Aquino sees Manuel Roxas, until recently his secretary of interior, as the candidate most likely to sustain his legacy.

Roxas is currently third in opinion polls. Second is current vice-president, Jejomar Binay, who is from a different political party to Aquino and faces corruption charges.

First is Grace Poe, a senator known mostly for being the adopted daughter of a famous actor. She may face disqualification over citizenship and residency issues.

Aquino's two predecessors were both convicted of corruption, and there is concern about who could follow.

"The problem is you don't have any more Aquinos waiting on the sidelines," said Kenneth Akintewe, a fund manager at Aberdeen Asset Management in Singapore, overseeing $4.5 billion (£2.92 billion) in assets.

"There is a big question mark over how sustainable the reform momentum is going to be."

Aquino's mostly steady, scandal-free administration has driven 6.3 percent average growth of the $285 billion economy, the fastest of Southeast Asia's five main economies, and the World Bank expects it to remain the region's pacesetter in 2016-17.

In Philippines' politics, personalities matter more than barely distinguishable parties or policies.

Steven Rood at the Asia Foundation, a think-tank, says investment often dips before elections - reflecting concerns that contracts already in place could be reviewed and re-awarded by an incoming administration.

"Definitely there will be problems of instability given how personality-driven Philippine politics and government are," he said.

Probably most at risk is longer-term foreign direct investment in the Philippines, which hit a record $6.2 billion in 2014, but Rood saw little prospect of a serious contraction.

"I don't expect that current overall levels of investment will fall, since there are still opportunities to make money in the Philippines." (The economy is virtually recession-proof thanks to remittances from overseas workers.)

DEBT MANAGEMENT

Aquino's economics team swapped short- and medium-term debt for longer maturities, lowering foreign exchange exposures, and cutting the budget deficit - consequently winning investment grade status from credit-rating agencies.

Inflows from migrant workers' remittances and outsourcing contracts, worth some $3 billion a month, raise personal income and consumption, driving the Philippines' robust annual growth and buffering the balance of payments.

Foreign reserves are ample, equivalent to more than 10 months' imports, while the Philippine peso has fallen just 4.6 percent against the U.S. dollar, less than any other Southeast Asian currency, in the emerging market volatility of late.

Manila's stock market is the region's best performer, and investors rate the government at a lower risk of debt default than all its neighbours, except Singapore.

This is a striking turnaround from the time Aquino took office, when Philippines' debt was seen as most likely to default.

So could the winner of next May's poll sustain this level of progress?

Soo-Hai Lim, director of Asian equities at Baring Asset Management, would like assurances that Aquino's successor won't reverse policy improvements.

"You want to see those processes that he has put in place to improve transparency, to ensure that contracts are awarded on a consistent basis, are continued by the new administration," he said.

Richard Li, chairman and chief executive of Pacific Century Group, an Asia-based long-term private capital firm, told a conference the May 2016 election was pivotal to the Philippines remaining an attractive place to invest.

"The Philippines looks very exciting indeed - as long as the next government is clean, has good governance, and strong leadership," he said.

(Reporting by Karen Lema; Additional reporting and writing by Nicholas Owen in Jakarta; Editing by Eric Meijer)

-----
As election nears, investors reassess the Philippines after Aquino - Yahoo News UK
-----

Lawyer: Negative DNA results boost case vs Poe
By Patricia Lourdes Viray (philstar.com)
Updated November 6, 2015 - 10:07am

MANILA, Philippines — The negative DNA results of Sen. Grace Poe will work against her in the disqualification case filed before the Senate Electoral Tribunal (SET), the lawyer of petitioner Rizalito David said on Thursday.

"Definite negative results will not help them. The findings in the DNA testing will have a negative impact in so far as her already precarious defenses are concerned," lawyer Manuel Luna said.

Luna noted that the negative DNA results would somehow affect how the SET will resolve the case against the senator.

David, a defeated senatorial bet and presidential aspirant, earlier filed the case seeking to unseat Poe in the Senate.

The petitioner claimed that Poe is not qualified to be a senator as she is not a natural-born Filipino.

"In so far as the impression of the tribunal or the members thereof are concerned, the more it will lend credence to our allegation that she has no known parentage," Luna said.

Luna added that Poe could be considered stateless, stressing that he cannot sit as a senator nor run for president.

"Article 7 is very clear, one of the qualifications of one aspiring for president is he or she must be a natural-born (citizen) and a resident of the Philippines," Luna said.

In the October hearing, Supreme Court senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio, chair of the SET, argued that a DNA match is a "conclusive presumption of filiation" of Poe.

"If you have a conclusive match that is a conclusive presumption, if you have a DNA match, that would solve all our problems here because you cannot argue against that anymore," Carpio said.

"If you can present that DNA match, that would be wonderful, counsel," Carpio continued. "But in the meantime, we understand your position that you are holding on to the argument that there is a presumption."

Earlier this week, Poe admitted in a radio interview that the DNA test results with her supposed biological relatives turned out negative.

However, she remains confident that she will win the cases filed against her, citing that her camp has legal basis to support her claims that she is a natural-born Filipino.

Poe is also facing several disqualification cases before the Commission on Elections, seeking to invalidate her certificate of candidacy for president in the 2016 national elections.

-----
Lawyer: Negative DNA results boost case vs Poe | Headlines, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com
-----

What is your presidential candidate's platform of government?
By JC Ansis,
CNN Philippines

Updated 19:02 PM PHT Fri, February 12, 2016

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — It's still early in the campaign period but the presidential candidates are already making their rounds to woo people to vote for them in the coming May elections.

But what platform of government are the presidential candidates offering? This, of course, differs for each of them.

During the "Election Roundtable" on CNN Philippines' Network News on Friday (February 12), representatives of those seeking the presidency briefly laid out the plans their candidates are pushing for.

Roxas: Three freedoms
For administration bet Manuel "Mar" Roxas II, the priority is to continue the "Daang Matuwid."

Akbayan party-list Rep. Barry Guiterrez, spokesman of the Daang Matuwid Coalition, said it is the principle that underlies Roxas' entire platform.

Also read: Roxas declares "three freedoms" at center of his platform

"Anybody can talk about what they will do. But at the end of the day, who can you really trust to implement what they will do. Over the past five and a half years, that's what we think has been the biggest achievement of the Aquino administration — it has restored trust in the government," said Guiterrez.

"More than anything else, we all have our programs, we all have our plans, but it is a question ultimately of the integrity of the candidate, trusting the candidate that when he or she assumes office, he or she will not betray the trust of the people."

Guiterrez, however, said that the heart of Roxas' campaign is banked on "three freedoms."

Also read: Roxas to generate P100B for barangays, municipalities

"First is the freedom of hunger, and that is essentially concerned with job generation particularly in the agriculture sector. He talks about foreign investments in manufacturing and bigger government investments in infrastructure for the agricultural sector," he said.

"[There is the] freedom from fear — talking about safety nets on health issues and peace and order, improve policing. And the freedom to dream which goes towards in improving the capacity of individual citizens and families to actually aspire for their dreams, such as expanding the K-12 and CCT [conditional cash transfer] programs."

Poe: Heart in governance
Meanwhile, presidential candidate Sen. Grace Poe is running on a platform of "putting heart in governance" or bringing back the government closer to the people.

"True kailangan ng track record, true kailangan ng galing. Pero she's now pairing it up with puso, heart in governance. We need a government that empathizes with its people, that sympathizes and feels what the people are feeling," said Valenzuela City Mayor Rex Gatchalian, spokesperson of Poe.

Also read: Will Poe gain the support of people from the north?

Gatchalian added Poe also has plans on achieving inclusive growth, improving competitiveness, and has constantly pushed for the fight against drugs.

"Our economy has expanded rapidly, but it's now time to give that trickle-down effect a bigger push. In terms of education, she's been batting for in-school feeding programs or free lunch box programs for all public school students to combat malnutrition inside the schools," he said.

"She has vowed to declare drugs as a national security threat. And improving competitiveness, the ease of doing business — registering businesses and synchronizing national laws to make sure that it's conducive for businessmen to set up businesses, especially for our small and medium enterprises."

Also read: Poe to push for anti-dynasty bill if she wins presidency

Binay: Higher economic growth
As far as the vice president is concerned, Gary Teves, former Finance secretary and current UNA treasurer, said Jejomar Binay wants to continue higher economic growth by investing more in infrastructure and ensuring that action is taking place quicker.

"We first have to generate more resources externally by inviting foreign investors and making sure that environment is really conducive to foreign investments," said Teves.

"We were amending economic provisions of the Constitution to allow foreign investors to invest in areas that have been disallowed or limited — land, public utilities. He will also emphasize on inclusive growth, and provide emphasis on health and education."

Also read: 'Help me become first Batangueño president,' Binay asks home province

Duterte: Fight vs. crime and corruption
And what are the top priorities of Rodrigo Duterte's platform of government?

"Our top three would be 24/7 fight against crime and corruption, which is the core of Mayor Duterte's and Senator's Cayetano's campaign. Second we promote the development of our economy by tying this up with our advocacy on federalism, which is regional development," said Duterte's spokesman Peter Laviña.

"The last is we should have equality before the law and give equal opportunities for everyone."

Also read: Duterte presents programs for SMEs, agriculture

He added that Duterte wants to push for the proper implementation of laws.

"Kaya yung sinasabi niyang fight against crime, drugs and corruption may pinagmulan yun. Exhibit A ang Davao."

Also read: Duterte promises free irrigation to farmers if elected president

The office of Santiago couldn't send a representative to the "Election Roundtable" on CNN Philippines' Network News, but based on the materials they sent some of her priorities include job creation, poverty reduction, electoral and political reforms, and fighting corruption.

She is also pushing for the proper enforcement of laws while recognizing due process.

Also read: Santiago says she will campaign through social media

-----
What is your presidential candidate's platform of government? - CNN Philippines
-----

Back
Top Bottom