What's new

Peshawar Massacre - TTP kills hundreds of school kids (Avoid graphic pics/vids)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now a raid on Western bypass Quetta.

6 TTP arrested.

A flurry of activity today. Quetta, Karachi, Khyber Agency, Lahore...raids all over.

Death warrants being signed, preparations being made.

Good to see people awaking from slumber.
Reminds me of first few days of Operation ZAB, agencies were on their tush, running up and down --- they wrapped up all lot of tangos in those days but they could not get through Sleeper cells...

Update on Quetta raid. One of the arrested is an Uzbek.

Those arrested from Lahore Qaddafi stadium had maps and other stuff on them.

Meanwhile...FIR registered against civil society for protesting outside Lal Masjid...ROFL...

@Hyperion - I can't believe the self-righteousness of some Indians over here.

Have they forgotten who was blamed (Pakistan) almost ubiquitously in India for the following and who (Hindu extremists) were found to be the guilty party ?

Malegon 2008

Samjhota Express 2007

Nanded Blasts 2006

Can't you guys thread ban such insensitive and hypocritical pricks from this thread ?

Do what I do, don't entertain their posts. MANY (not all) of them come with an agenda, their point to prove even in this tragedy.

This attack is like the 9/11 of Pakistan. A really shocking and heart breaking event unlike anything ever seen before. Can't even imagine the fear the kids must have felt when they saw those armed gunmen. At least TTP should have thought of the kids if not anything else.

We should clear all these. Finish them.
I hope we don’t forget this.

The schools which I attended treated Islam just like another subject instead of a cultural ideology. And of them are apparently good English medium schools.

My mother had a lengthy career in the schooling system and she revealed to me that some principles attempted to abolish Islamic education completely from the schools. I was genuinely surprised when I came to know this.

Islamic teachings should be integral part of education in Pakistan, not just another subject. Unfortunately, Pakistani students know much more about other subjects then Islam in current times.

I dont exactly get it, how would you like religion to be taught by these institutions? Learning it, has been compulsory, from the montessory to higher education. I mean we get a Islamiat subject here in the B.E. too. And personally, I have noted a firm commitment and much enthusiasm from the teachers in teaching the religion, so it is an integral part of the Pakistani curriculum, besides having its influence in other subjects too. The problem doesn't appear to be the lack of education of religion again and I have a strange feeling that what you want to be taught in schools, colleges and universities isn't possible or may be too much young students who aren't being sent here to become a "Mullah". And state cant possibly spoon-feed everything, expecting that is not rational, much will always be left to individual and society in general. However, what it can and should do, is regulate the religion, like the Arab countries.

Now, that isn't what I am advocating for and I am quite sure that those "some" principles were really "some" in number, universal popularity, hundred percent approval rate isn't possible in this world for anything and this is just one more example of that.

By "these" you mean Madrasah students? I have not studied in a Madrasah, so I will not comment about knowledge of Madrasah students in general.

However, it is common for young individuals in Pakistan to read Holy Quran in its original language and don't have an iota of idea about its revelations and content. The so-called religions tutors hired by parents to teach their children Holy Quran only teach children about how to read Arabic, nothing more. And parents don't give a damn either.

Yes exactly, you haven't missed out on anything. By hanging over rigidly to one interpretation of the religion (mostly sect based but today, mixed with extremism), restricting their choices in the world and providing no worldly education whatsoever unlike schools (there are a few which do, but they are exactly "few" in number) they produce a breed of young children who are both narrow minded and radicalized, offering the terror groups with ready made recruits. That is what I am talking about, but I am sure you knew all this. After all, that is where both the Afghan Taliban and TTP, got and still get the 99% of their recruits. Speak of the disastrous results of producing more children than you can raise and handing them over to Madarsas, as a result. Only to find him/her of no good to the society but to merely a group of organizations who would later use them for the most nefarious purposes.

Parents do give a damn, that is why they spent thousands to hire that religious tuitor, who is just one more Madarsa student mostly, who cant find employment elsewhere and hence chooses to stick to what he's best in and teaches the holy book as he has taught through the years. Nothing surprising if one looks at it, from the beginning.

Secularists and so-called liberals conveniently order regime change in nations which they deem as threats to their national interests. Such actions and strategic blunders disrupt and destroy lives of millions of people which is even worse.

The menace of terrorism is an outcome of strategic blunders of several nations in history, bro. Terrorists conduct their nefarious activities under the façade of Islam, they aren't genuine practitioners of this faith, their actions prove their ignorance.

They do, that isn't very true for Pakistan though, is it? Neither Zia nor Bhutto, both of the leaders responsible for messing up things in Afghanistan and as a consequence, at home, weren't secular.

No, not under the facade- he believes in a determined manner, that only his version of religion is real and on the right path and everyone else needs to be brought to it, they know more about religion than you, just the wrong kind of it. Thats not a facade, there exist interpretation of the religion which gives rise to radicalism and extremism and which has been supported by the "great scholars" of Islam. They can recite more verses from the holy book than you can, know about religious history and the Prophets, even recite you the sayings and the prayers in better Arabic accents than you. What they lack is humanity and time seems to tell, it doesn't come merely from learning about religion day and night.

This nation had much better values back then, people weren't materialistic, politics of division were not in effect, status-quo and corruption weren't prevalent. Simply put, Pakistan was a much better nation back in 60s then it is now.

Who is responsible for promoting Afghan Jihad? The secular WEST which you and other secularists worship. Here is the whole story:

Since its independence Pakistan has remained in the focus of attention of world powers to gain their politico economic interests. Pakistan was created for the oppressed people of sub-continent. It started its journey of socio-economic and political development according to the aspiration of its creators. Although there remained political instability and manifold problems, it emerged quickly as a strong country. The society of Pakistan was considered to be the most peaceful society, but since 1979 after the Russian invasion in Afghanistan the society saw great twist in the social fabric and politico economic system. The world super powers encouraged the militant organizations to promote the culture of Jihad (Islamic holy war) to defeat Russia. The world powers provided their huge support to the government of Pakistan and related militant organizations in the form of money, weapons and politico moral support. In eighties Pakistan became fertile land for the militant groups where extremist mentality was promoted both by the government and other stake holders to attract the youth to fight against the Russian forces. The government of late Zia-ul-Haq, president of Pakistan (1977-1988) and related subgroups continued to enjoy the blessing of the world powers but soon after the evacuation of Russia from Afghanistan these militant groups scattered. The international community pulled back its support from these militant organizations and their agenda was completely changed. These groups which were very resourceful in terms of money, weapons and religo-political influence in the region started to fight against each other. During the afghan war the huge quantity of arms and ammunition came and stored in Pakistan which was later used by these groups in sectarian tribal and political violence. Meanwhile, political instability, corruption, social injustice and economic disparity added fuel on fire in giving rise to different forms of manifestation of terrorism. With the collapse of Russia from the world order the geo-political situation of Pakistan changed. In this changed scenario the terrorism strongly gripped and swiftly spread in Pakistani society. Its most visible manifestation was sectarianism in 1990s triggered by religious extremism. After 9/11 Pakistan once again became the front line state in war against terror in international community. Pakistan played its role effectively to curb terrorism and militant groups which increased the acts of terrorism in Pakistan. The terrorism further enhanced intolerance and fear among the masses. These days terrorism is one of the social evils not only for Pakistan but also for all over the world. This is how the phenomenon of terrorism occurred in Pakistan and negatively hit the society as a socio-economic and political problem. The social workers who are considered to be the catalyst for social change are required to think and work on the subject to defuse the fear and effects of terrorism for social well being (Michael, 2007)..

The same secular WEST does nothing to address the issues of Palestine and Kashmir, two additional fault-lines that promote radicalism and make it easier for sponsors of terrorism to de-humanize victims of war and socio-political injustice and use them for nefarious acts.

It (is) the responsibility of the state leadership to reform a society.

Secularists of this nation are among the greatest hypocrites actually. They are enemies of Islam and Muslims in-disguise. Pakistan had been founded on religious grounds, not for secularism. I find your anti-Islamic demeanor perplexing. When a nation deviates from the principles of its founding fathers, it eventually descends into chaos and/or becomes a failed state.

Once again, the menace of terrorism is an outcome of strategic blunders of several nations in history.

To put it simply, this nation was moderate in its outlook towards the religion. Only when a certain ideology would be imported to pave way for the Afghan Jihad, would the country go this way. Pakistanis were a better nation than today, everything everytime in discussion related to this country, is always better in the past sadly.

Do you mind if I ask a better question? Who initiated the Afghan Jihad? The Americans needed it because of their beef with the Soviet Union, in the cold war. But what exact stake, did Pakistan have in it? Besides the need for the $$, that is most obvious. And please, dont give me the outdated myth of warm waters and skies falling if God forbid the Reds succeded in bringing stability back to the Afghan regime, despite them helping us economically since again the 60's and a reapproachment was always possible there. Training Jihadis on this soil with an extreme version of religion was always going to backfire and sure it did proving the planners were myopic, unable of thinking long term and to foresee the consequences of their actions. They should have considered a limited engagement instead of full blown participation. Why blame the secular West for taking care of its national interest when it was Islamic Pakistan which couldn't choose what was right for her. Zia-ul-Haq kept the nation hooked up on the opiate of the masses and people were happy to support a Muslim ruler finally- a Commander of the Faithful so to speak.

And no, I dont workship the West, I just admire it for a variety of reasons. Why expect them to come to your rescue everytime? Learn to solve your own problems, yourself. This is defeatist mindset of expecting them to make everything right for you, when you keep making wrong decisions and committing blunders.

Seculars hate no religion in particular, they just hate the infusion of religion with politics, which is found disastrous everytime and no offence, but its not the seculars or liberals blowing up or fighting against the state or maybe found shoveling what they believe in, down everyone's throat. Pakistan had been founded on religious grounds but later its founding father didn't exactly want the religious law to be the part of system of governance. But thats another debate. And no, I am not anti-Islamic, speaking against religious overdoses and asking for moderation shouldn't get me classified as such.

Peshawar school massacre survivors recall horror of attack
BBC News,

_79808039_hi025147333.jpg

Explosions and gunfire led to 141 deaths and left a trail of destruction in the army-run school.

The first two gun shots that rang out in Peshawar's Army Public School on Tuesday morning did not raise much alarm.

Students who survived the Pakistan Taliban's deadliest attack say it sounded unusual but their teachers said not to bother, that it might be the army doing training.

The army personnel who later stormed the premises believe those gun shots killed a guard who was probably sitting on top of stairs that ascend from the driveway to the main hall of the school - the auditorium - where much of the carnage took place.

"Then there were three or four more shots in quick succession, and I realised we were under attack," says Sitwat Jafri, 17, a 12th grade student.

Sitwat was one of about 45 students who were having exams in the first-floor hall of the school wing. The windows of the hall face the driveway, and the north-western compound wall beyond it, that separates the school from a strip of farmland and is topped with barbed wire.

The BBC was one of the first broadcasters to see inside the school

'Men running'
The students' initial fears that they were under attack by militants were well founded.

Sitwat says four or five months ago a bomb was discovered on one of the school lawns and everyone was evacuated through the back gate - to the south.

Officials say there was also a major security alert in August last year, which led to demands by teachers that the northern and western walls of the compound be fortified.

_79811561_pakistan_army_school_attack_v3_624map.jpg

Areas to the west and north-west of the school constitute Peshawar's "dangerous" rural backyard of Tehkal village, and include an Afghan refugee camp called Ghundai.

BBC News - Peshawar school massacre survivors recall horror of attack

This is an article worth reading with comprehension:

What have we left to fear for? We have already buried our sons - Blogs - DAWN.COM

=======================

What have we left to fear for? We have already buried our sons
Murtaza Haider
Updated about an hour ago
5492c68483ec0.jpg

Sayed Shah, shows a picture of his son Zulqarnain, 17, a student who was killed in last Tuesday's Taliban attack on the Army Public School in Peshawar. —AP

I wish I could say, “We didn’t see it coming.” But that would be a lie. We saw it coming, but chose to ignore all the warnings until it was too late to prevent our children from being murdered before our very eyes.

Peshawar, my ancestral city, is dying a slow death at the hands of religious fundamentalists. Slowly, but surely, the City fell to mullahs, madrassahs, and militants.

It all started rather inconspicuously in December 1974, when a bomb explosion injured two at the American Centre in Peshawar. Many did not think much of it. However, dozens of bomb blasts and thousands of civilian deaths later, it became obvious who the enemy was.

Still, not much was done against those who murdered civilians in cold blood. The perpetrators were ‘strategic depth’ and hence were assets for wars to be fought in the future.

Peshawar unknowingly became the nerve centre in a war between two superpowers. The Americans, supported by the West and bankrolled by the Saudis, turned Peshawar into a dormitory for Arab and Pakhtun militants who were brainwashed and trained in warfare in camps scattered in and around the city. Peshawar’s affluent suburbs became home for western spies and affluent Arab militants.

The Peshawaris became refugees in their own city.

The City was changing right before our eyes.

Overnight, the entire urban transportation fleet transformed in Peshawar. Mercedes buses from Afghanistan replaced wagons and other paratransit. Local restaurants were pushed out of business by the new Afghan eateries. Pants and shirts were replaced by beards and skullcaps. A city known for its sense of humour was giving way to fear and hate.

I used to ride a bus from the walled City to the Peshawar University. The bus passed through the fabled Qissa Khawani Bazaar en route to Saddar. After a brief stop near the stadium, it would continue towards the University Town. The bus driver would play Pushto songs. No one seemed bothered by the driver’s taste in music. But that all changed when Arabs and spies took over the City.

It was one fine morning in 1988 when the bus reached Speen Jamaat (the white mosque) near Peshawar University. A group of tall Arabs in their flowing robes boarded the bus and immediately started shouting at the bus driver, asking him to shut down the music. He promptly complied. The Arabs starting lecturing the rest in Arabic about music being banned in Islam.

No one dared to challenge them.

They were the camel in the tent, and we were the Arab being pushed out.

Becoming refugees in our City

Sitting next to me in the bus was a professor who taught at the Agriculture University. He was fuming at the collective insult meted out by the Arabs dictating their norms on their hosts. No one dared to oppose the Arabs in Peshawar. They had money and the backing. Those who tried, disappeared for good.

By 1989, Abdullah al-Ezzam, a Palestinian who earlier taught at the International Islamic University in Islamabad, had effectively taken over the war effort in Peshawar. Over three million Afghan refugees had already arrived from Afghanistan. In addition, thousands of Arabs had also landed in Peshawar to wage a ‘holy war’ against the Soviets.

Mr. al-Ezzam died in a bomb blast along with his two sons. Soon, his mentee, Osama Bin Laden, took over Mr. al-Ezzam’s operations. As Osama and his ilk gained strength, Peshawar’s ‘descent into chaos’ accelerated.

It is, however, too convenient to blame the Arabs, the CIA, and others for unleashing Frankenstein’s monster on Peshawar. Truth be told, there was ample support among the locals eager to welcome the murderous thugs from abroad.

The University campus in Peshawar experienced it firsthand when a bomb blast in February 1975 killed on campus the governor of the province, Hayat Muhammad Khan Sherpao. Many believe he was the first high-ranking victim of the covert war for the control over Kabul.

The Islami Jamiat-e-Tulaba (IJT), the student wing of Pakistan’s Jamaat-i-Islami, was too keen to align with the newfound Arab interest. They forced the campus to comply with the Arab dictates, they were instrumental in shutting down the University auditorium where movies were played every weekend.

A gaping hole near the auditorium reminded us of the un-built swimming pool. Again, it was the IJT and other religious outfits who considered it un-Islamic for the University to have a swimming pool.

The Peshawar University transformed from a liberal institution of higher learning to a madrassah.

The Arab money flowed in. By 1985, the UAE had established a Shaykh Zayed Islamic Centre at the University of Peshawar. However, Arab influence had seeped deep into the University. Even the engineering university and the medical college had transformed. Just compare the photographs of the graduating classes from the 70s to those from later years and you will find the signs of radicalisation growing on the very faces of the graduates and professors.

By the mid-80s, the Mujahedeen (the parent generation of the present-day Taliban) could be found zooming across the City in Pajeros and dual-cabin Toyotas, with heavily armed men flouting weapons in the open. There was no police or army to stop them.

At the same time, madrassahs had sprung up in and around Peshawar to train the Afghan and Arab volunteers to fight against the Soviets. The most famous of these is the Darul Uloom Haqqania in Akora Khatatk, which is also known as the University of Jihad. Ahmed Rashid in Taliban lists the high-ranking Taliban who graduated from or studied at Haqqania.

The Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan in February 1989 paved the way for infighting amongst the Afghan groups who had nothing in common except the desire to oust the Soviets. Pakistan’s establishment picked sides in the Afghans' internal feud and backed the Taliban, a colossal error in judgment for which thousands of Pakistanis and many more Afghans have paid for with their lives.

Empty threats

After the massacre on Warsak Road, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif told Pakistanis that there will no longer be a distinction between ‘good Taliban’ and ‘bad Taliban.’ He wants us to believe that the mass murder of 132 children is the last straw on the camel’s back. He promises not to rest until the menace is wiped off the face of Pakistan.

Forgive me for not being convinced by empty threats that have not been followed with action in the past.

But first, let me ask why it took Pakistan such a long time to realise that the militants offer no strategic depth?

Why was there no action after the October 2009 bombing in Meena Bazaar in Peshawar that killed 137 women and children?

Why was no action taken against the militants when they killed 127 Christians at a Peshawar Church in September 2013?

There is plenty of blame to go around.

When the Taliban attacked 14-year-old Malala, the religious forces in Pakistan registered only a muted protest. In fact, many wondered out loud if this was a ploy to justify action against the ‘righteous’ Taliban in Swat.

When Malala received the Nobel Prize for peace, numerous newspapers questioned her and the motives of those who recognised Malala for her efforts. In fact, the speaker of the KP provincial assembly refused to admit a resolution because he deemed the resolution was not a matter of national or provincial interest.

Taliban sympathisers

Less than a week before the Peshawar massacre, the Jamat-i-Islami’s lawmakers in the KP provincial assembly blocked a resolution to recognise Malala’s achievements. The Taliban must have taken the Jamaat’s move as a vote of confidence for their attempt on Malala’s life.

If attacking 14-year-old schoolgirls helps them gain the support of religious groups in Pakistan, the Taliban would not be wrong to assume even more support for mass murdering 14-year-olds at the Army Public School.

I earnestly believe that had the nation been united in its support for Malala, it would have dissuaded the Taliban from attacking other schoolchildren.

The Taliban exist because of the tacit and explicit support religious groups afford them. The Taliban thrive because no one challenges the mullahs in the mosques when they sing praise of the murderous thugs.

“Talib ta waya teeng sha”

Mian Ishaq who now lives in Toronto, also grew up in Peshawar. He is appalled at how Peshawar has gone to dogs. Ishaq is deeply saddened by the unimaginable loss of innocent lives in Peshawar. He is not scared though.

In his poems, he challenges the Taliban and their supporters who have murdered children, blown up schools and mausoleums of the Pakhtun Sufis.

He writes:

5492baca2346d.jpg

It is He who crowns, at times Bush and sometimes Obama
But He also confronts pharaohs with Moses and the Taliban with Malala

Though his (Rahman Baba) grave is desecrated and his heart consumed
Let the Taliban be warned that I have embraced the soul of Rahman Baba to confront them

In Ishaq’s words I take courage. Now is the time to reclaim our City from the jaws of evil.

What do we have left to fear? We have already buried our sons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom