What's new

People of Swat dislike Malala Yousafzai.

Assault Rifle

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Malala, survivor of Taliban, resented in Pakistan hometown.

(Reuters) - For many of her compatriots, Malala Yousafzai is a stooge of the United States and a CIA agent, a symbol of the West's evils and a global conspiracy to bring down her native Pakistan.

She has won the European Union's prestigious human rights award and was one of the favorites to win the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, but in her native Swat valley, friends and neighbors reacted with a mixture of resentment, fear and jealousy.

"Malala is spoiling Pakistan's name around the world," said Mohammad Rizwan, a shop owner in her hometown of Mingora. "We didn't need Malala to come and tell us how important education is."

Around the corner from his shop is the quiet street where Malala, 16, was shot a year ago after trying to defy the Taliban with her outspoken views on women's right to education.

She survived after being airlifted to Britain for treatment and has since become a symbol of defiance against militants holed up in nearby tribal areas on the Afghan border.

But in this deeply conservative part of Pakistan, where women are expected to stay at home and keep their views to themselves, many people view Malala's campaign with suspicion.

In a nation thriving on conspiracy theories, some have even doubted the sincerity of her campaign, claiming it is part of her family's ploy to move to Britain or that she is just an attention seeker.

Social media sites are brimming with insulting messages. "We hate Malala Yousafzai, a CIA agent," says one Facebook page.

"Here, people have been unkind to her. They want to forget her. They think she is a drama queen. But what can you do?" said Ahmad Shah, a childhood friend of Malala's father who helped write her speech at the United Nations this year.

"Here in Swat, we have seen the hell that is Taliban rule. And yet, some people still say they would much rather side with the Taliban than Malala. Sometimes people never learn."

In an impoverished region where violence is part of daily life, some of Malala's neighbors were simply afraid. Some appeared keen to forget about her and move on.

The picturesque valley was overran by the Taliban, who imposed strict Islamic laws and kept its people in fear, in 2007. It is now controlled by the Pakistani army. Mingora, a dusty town of windy roads surrounded by jagged hills, is festooned with billboards reading "Long live the Pakistan Army!"

There were no posters of Malala.

"Malala is a talented girl, no doubt," said Zahid Khan, head of the Swat Peace Jirga, an anti-Taliban body who has survived three attempts on his life for his work.

"I have been attacked. Shot. Almost killed. But no one is honoring me. The state hasn't given me a cent in compensation."

The Taliban have issued repeated threats to kill her.

"She says she does not want to live like an illiterate person in a walled compound and deliver children," said Shahidullah Shahid, a Pakistani Taliban spokesman.

"Her mother and grandmother used to live in walled compounds and deliver children, so by saying that she didn't even spare her mother."

At Khushal Public School, a three-storey building where she studied, many avoided mentioning her name altogether.

A red and yellow school bus parked outside its metal gate was the same as the one in which Malala was shot on October 9, 2012. In her classroom, her old seat was still empty. Someone had placed a schoolbag there to mark her presence.

But there were no events held to mark the first anniversary of her shooting.

"We want the girls to forget the trauma of that day," said Nargis Bibi, a school administrator. "We want them to forget it. We don't want them to relive it again. We all want to move on."

Quratulain Ali, Malala's friend, said quietly: "We are all very happy in our hearts (that she was nominated to win the Nobel Peace Prize) but we don't often speak about it openly. There could be danger for us also."

The award went to the Hague-based Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, which is overseeing the destruction's of Syria's arsenal.

(Writing by Maria Golovnina; Additional reporting by Gul Yusufzai; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Malala, survivor of Taliban, resented in Pakistan hometown | Reuters

This is what happens in areas with low literacy. People start being suspicious. I recently watched an interview of Malala. I do think she also needs include how things are changing. Also how in certain areas of Pakistan things are different. In Karachi, Islamabad, Lahore, and other major Pakistani cities female education is a normal thing. She is also a child so people need to take it easy.

However she is doing something positive and bringing light to the problems and gathering funds for girls school.

People in Pakistan also forget easily. One moment they'll be hating someone or some political party but the next year they're in love.

Well you can't say that .Everyone has his own views .She's brave and pride of pakistan

This is what happens in areas with low literacy. People start being suspicious. I recently watched an interview of Malala. I do think she also needs include how things are changing. Also how in certain areas of Pakistan things are different. In Karachi, Islamabad, Lahore, and other major Pakistani cities female education is a normal thing. She is also a child so people need to take it easy.

However she is doing something positive and bringing light to the problems and gathering funds for girls school.

People in Pakistan also forget easily. One moment they'll be hating someone or some political party but the next year they're in love.

Sure she is doing something positive but she could do it in a different way, making speeches from a foreign country is different from being among your people and the whole drama of her being shot is very suspicious and no concrete evidence.

People are suspicious, they have every right to be as hundreds of girls women are killed or punished by the taliban and we don't have anyone making fuss of it, people maybe illiterate but they are not stupid.

If she wants to campaign for womens rights and girls education then i support her fully and so will others if she does this from any corner of Pakistan in a transparent manner.

Not everyone from those areas is illiterate and this is a village boy telling you this.

Sure she is doing something positive but she could do it in a different way, making speeches from a foreign country is different from being among your people and the whole drama of her being shot is very suspicious and no concrete evidence.

People are suspicious, they have every right to be as hundreds of girls women are killed or punished by the taliban and we don't have anyone making fuss of it, people maybe illiterate but they are not stupid.

If she wants to campaign for womens rights and girls education then i support her fully and so will others if she does this from any corner of Pakistan in a transparent manner.

Not everyone from those areas is illiterate and this is a village boy telling you this.

That's what happens when you gain international attention people want to talk to you. Whether she makes speeches from Pakistan or from another country does not matter.

She's a person she can go wherever she wants. Saying she should be with her people is like like me telling you should never leave Pakistan because you like your country and should never leave your people. That may be so, but I have no right and you're free to travel.

Plus did you see what happened to her when she was with her people she got ATTACKED!

You say:
People are suspicious, they have every right to be as hundreds of girls women are killed or punished by the taliban and we don't have anyone making fuss of it

So you're saying girls should just shut up and take whatever the Taliban do because that's normal? The Girls are scared. If no one makes a fuss about girls getting killed or punished by the Taliban that's a huge problem.

I'm surprised you think people think it's ok for the Taliban to be doing what they do. No they are furious!

as for proof of her being shot google image search "Malala Injured"

She should be proud of herself but she is the shame of Pakistan

No she isn't watch Pakistan media she has all the backing go speak with the average citizen she has support. A reporter went out and focused on the handful of people that are confused or suspicious but for got that the rest of the country is with her.

She should be proud of herself but she is the shame of Pakistan

Why? All the media supports her. Of course there are exceptions but the entire country loves her as does the world because she stands up for something right no matter the consequences.

What Malala stands for is good, but does she deserves a Nobel Prize...big no.

The west is using Malala to troll Pakistan.

the whole drama of her being shot is very suspicious and no concrete evidence.

#Suspicious Yeah a girl almost dead if it wasn't for the medical care , she received in Britain being shot is very suspicious . Also the statements of doctors in Pakistan and the report about her condition where multiple surgeries had to performed are also suspicious . The condition of the little girl in U.K is again very suspicious . Does it happen that for some people " paranoia is a normal state of mind " thinking everything and specially established facts as a " conspiracy theory "? A bullet that went through head , neck and shoulder was a fake rubber bullet right ? No concrete evidence for all this , right ? :azn:

Sad . A whole nation ready to believe in " conspiracy theories " and maintaining " all which is adoped , encourage , supported , promoted is evil and forbidden " . Really sad .

Maybe , she just shot herself to get abroad and get this limelight ? How's that theory now !

That's what happens when you gain international attention people want to talk to you. Whether she makes speeches from Pakistan or from another country does not matter.

She's a person she can go wherever she wants. Saying she should be with her people is like like me telling you should never leave Pakistan because you like your country and should never leave your people. That may be so, but I have no right and you're free to travel.

Plus did you see what happened to her when she was with her people she got ATTACKED!

You say:

So you're saying girls should just shut up and take whatever the Taliban do because that's normal? The Girls are scared. If no one makes a fuss about girls getting killed or punished by the Taliban that's a huge problem.

I'm surprised you think people think it's ok for the Taliban to be doing what they do. No they are furious!

as for proof of her being shot google image search "Malala Injured"

No she isn't watch Pakistan media she has all the backing go speak with the average citizen she has support. A reporter went out and focused on the handful of people that are confused or suspicious but for got that the rest of the country is with her.

There is no evidence to suggest that it was the taliban, afterall the official line was it was the taliban, it was these same officials who said they werent comlicit in drone attacks but now we know better.

I never said taliban have a right to treat women like that, but why was there no such media attention given to them.

Believe what you must.

Take the kid gloves off mate, and give him a thorough bashing! :D

Yeah a girl almost dead if it wasn't for the medical care , she received in Britain being shot is very suspicious . Also the statements of doctors in Pakistan and the report about her condition where multiple surgeries had to performed in also suspicious . The condition of the little girl in U.K is again very suspicious . Does it happen that for some people " paranoia is a normal state of mind " thinking everything and specially established facts as a " conspiracy theory "? A bullet that went through head , neck and shoulder was a fake rubber bullet right ? No concrete evidence for all this , right ? :azn:

Sad . A whole nation ready to believe in " conspiracy theories " and maintaining " all which is adoped , encourage , supported , promoted is evil and forbidden " . Really sad .

Maybe , she just shot herself to get abroad and get this limelight ? How's that theory now !

What about half of her paralysed face?

Not many will stand up after being punished for their views and those 'killed' as you mentioned, won't under any circumstances.

I have yet to see her do anything else.

They are literate as in they can read and write, but little more. Our education system is famous for churning out armies of dunces.

There is no evidence to suggest that it was the taliban, afterall the official line was it was the taliban, it was these same officials who said they didnt were comlicit in drone attacks but now we know better.

I never said taliban have a right to treat women like that, but why was there no such media attention given to them.

Believe what you must.

They wrote a fuc*ing pamphlet discussing why shooting her was justified and said on air that they would try to kill her again. I'll ask Shahid ullah Shahid to hand deliver a message as a dancing courier to your door so you know it's legit.......
Honestly dude, being sceptical is one thing, this is paranoia.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom