What's new

People from India, China out-educating Americans in maths and technology: Barack Obama

There is a definite correlation, especially considering that PISA is a set of tests including literacy, science and mathematics. Unfortunately the star pupils of Tamil Nadu performed terribly even in the literacy department so I cant even imagine how the rest of India would have performed.
Obama really hasn't done his homework by lumping China and India together. Next he will say that China and India are going to erode American dominance in the Olympics.

First, If there is a correlation, show me a study that says a country's literacy is proportional to PISO test. Second, give me a good reason to why I should believe a on-line ape to Obama. Third just don't fire from your rear end and expect me to respond.

we know the level of rural education in India by PISA scores but you are making idiotic comparison of rural student of India with that of Urban students of China.

Evidence before your eyes, you still want to deny?????? Tamil Nadu is one among the best states for education, yet it came in last in PISA. No one is comparing with Shanghai. Why are you so obsessed with CHina? LOL.

First, If there is a correlation, show me a study that says a country's literacy is proportional to PISO test. Second, give me a good reason to why I should believe a on-line ape to Obama. Third just don't fire from your rear end and expect me to respond.

You need a 'scientific' study?
How about simply using logic? As I mentioned before, literacy is a complete section of the PISA exams which is not one exam but a set of exams. A student with high literacy skills will score higher in the literacy section thus increasing his/her overall PISA score.
Then again, you probably went through the Indian education system and will not understand what I am pointing out.

The Chinese performance in rural cities performed admirably, even though their scores were not published.
Although poor, the students studied hard and were disciplined. As Fattyacid pointed out - chalk, a blackboard and a dedicated teacher goes a long way.
Instead of taking an introspective look into the problems with the Indian education system, Indians make excuses and then pull out of the next PISA - like an ostrich with its head in the sand.

In 2010, when the only test that attempts to contrast and compare the world’s education levels, PISA (Program for International Student Assessment), released the results from 15-year-olds in Shanghai for the first time, the reaction was incredulous.“Top Test Scores From Shanghai Stun Educators” read the New York Times’ headline, and educators had good reason to be stunned. Shanghai schoolchildren were top of the world in Reading, Maths and Science, beating previous contenders such as Finland and South Korea.

One commenter, who had served in President Ronald Reagan’s Department of Education, told the Times that this was likely only the beginning.

“I’ve seen how relentless the Chinese are at accomplishing goals, and if they can do this in Shanghai in 2009, they can do it in 10 cities in 2019, and in 50 cities by 2029,” Chester E. Finn Jr said.

Now, it’s beginning to look like Finn was undervaluing China when he made that statement, and fears that Shanghai was a freak results are simply wrong.

Speaking to the BBC this week, Andreas Schleicher of the OECD (the body behind the PISA tests) said that even unpublished results from poor rural areas were “remarkable”.

“Shanghai is an exceptional case – and the results there are close to what I expected,” Andreas Schleicher said. “But what surprised me more were the results from poor provinces that came out really well. The levels of resilience are just incredible.”

The next round of PISA tests are due to be released late next year

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/china-education-pisa-schoolchildren-2012-5

Chinese authority forced PISA to release the scores only of Shanghai, even the selective rural villages were chosen by Chinese authority who's scores were not allowed to be published on the insistance of Chinese authority. Rural education is too in dismal state in China.

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/brown-center-chalkboard/posts/2013/10/09-pisa-china-problem-loveless

As you claimed that you have never heard of PISA testing, which is the international benchmarking of primary and secondary education, how would you know anything about your govt sending kids for PISA test?

Without literacy, where does the reading and problem solving skills come from???????? High literacy correlates positively to the test performance. Test performance can be affected by others factors, but that's a different point altogether.
PISA is not an examination, students were simply asked to complete the questions.

I can have 5 brilliant students and remaining state illiterate and still win any international tests.

I am from a political family and I know first hand how Indian government works...For Indian Government running a subsidy schemes that provide free money, TV or mobile phone to people is infinitely more important than educating young minds or encouraging the young minds to participate in international tests.

You need a 'scientific' study?
How about simply using logic? As I mentioned before, literacy is a complete section of the PISA exams which is not one exam but a set of exams. A student with high literacy skills will score higher in the literacy section thus increasing his/her overall PISA score.
Then again, you probably went through the Indian education system and will not understand what I am pointing out.

I am not interested in your logic or what ever you call it.

Evidence before your eyes, you still want to deny?????? Tamil Nadu is one among the best states for education, yet it came in last in PISA. No one is comparing with Shanghai. Why are you so obsessed with CHina? LOL.

Shanghai is where China most of elite lives who spends a lot on quality of education. You are comparing them with villagers of Tamil Nadu who don't have enough money for education. You skyrocketing high IQ is making bizarre claims.

Chinese authority forced PISA to release the scores only of Shanghai, even the selective rural villages were chosen by Chinese authority who's scores were not allowed to be published on the insistance of Chinese authority. Rural education is too in dismal state in China.

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/brown-center-chalkboard/posts/2013/10/09-pisa-china-problem-loveless

The author points out that the composition of the students chosen through the selection process is skewed but provides no proof whatsoever with the exception of pointing out the usual poverty, poor facilities etc.
Rural students are poor, but they still performed well as pointed out by the article I posted earlier.

Shanghai is where China most of elite lives who spends a lot on quality of education. You are comparing them with villagers of Tamil Nadu who don't have enough money for education. You skyrocketing high IQ is making bizarre claims.

Are you retarded?? No one is asking for comparison with Shanghai. The fact is Tamil Nadu is one of the best states in India yet it came last in PISA against the WORLD. Compare yourself with the US, this is what the article is about.

Stop your obsession with China. It's not good for your mental health.

I can have 5 brilliant students and remaining state illiterate and still win any international tests.

I am from a political family and I know first hand how Indian government works...For Indian Government running a subsidy schemes that provide free money, TV or mobile phone to people is infinitely more important than educating young minds or encouraging the young minds to participate in international tests.

You can't make your argument based on relevant point? Or do simply you have comprehension problem?
PISA does not measure top students, it captures the mean of the middle average. How about doing your homework on PISA, how it was conducted, before making your argument?

Arguing with Indians is funny. You cannot win because they can never understand.

No, you still win. They understand perfectly, but they have to play dumb and make stupid argument. Otherwise they will have to admit the reality, problem is most indians are not honest with themselves. Some even have serious complex.

Are you retarded?? No one is asking for comparison with Shanghai. The fact is Tamil Nadu is one of the best states in India yet it came last in PISA against the WORLD. Compare yourself with the US, this is what the article is about.

Stop your obsession with China. It's not good for your mental health.
The title suits you. Even if Tamil has good literacy, the rural people need government help to get free education and government give them free meals to attract them towards school. You are making foolish analysis by comparing rich elites of Shanghai where people spend a lots towards quality education with poor villagers of Tamil Nadu. LOL

The author points out that the composition of the students chosen through the selection process is skewed but provides no proof whatsoever with the exception of pointing out the usual poverty, poor facilities etc.
Rural students are poor, but they still performed well as pointed out by the article I posted earlier.

You better read the full article I posted and see the flaws and censoring of rural score.

Who the hell cares of PISA tests, India have exams like IIT to take care off. Indians are one of the best minds in maths and complex calculations, Romans even do not know more than 1000 numerical at that time we are calculating complex mathematics using algebra and numericals of 10 to the power of 10 and more.

Stop you B.S and PISA tests, chinese love to cheat and will get angry when they are stopped from cheating.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ese-teachers-try-to-stop-pupils-cheating.html

Back
Top Bottom