Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Report: Navy’s New Submarine Hunter Doesn’t Work

by MIKE HOFFMAN on JANUARY 24, 2014

P-8torpedo.jpg

The U.S. Navy’s next generation submarine hunter isn’t any good yet at hunting enemy submarines, according to recent Defense Department tests first reported on by Bloomberg.

A report filed by Michael Gilmore, chief of the Pentagon testing office, stated that the P-8A Poseidon exhibited flaws in the “plane’s radar performance, sensor integration and data transfer,” according to Bloomberg reporter Tony Capaccio, who received an early version of Gilmore’s report.

The U.S. Navy has spent about $35 billion on the P-8. The reported stated that the aircraft, which was built to replace the P-3 Orion, is not yet deployable, according to Gilmore’s report.

The Navy ran the P-8 through strenuous combat testing from September 2012 to March 2013. Results of those tests led Gilmore to conclude that the P-8 “is not effective for the intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance mission and is not effective for wide area anti-submarine search,” according to the Bloomberg report.

U.S. officials outfitted a Boeing 737–800 with sensors capable of tracking submarines to produce the P-8. The Navy expected the P-8 to replace the P-3 and effectively track Chinese submarines.

The Navy plans to buy 113 of the P-8. So far, Boeing has delivered 13 of the aircraft.

Navy leaders told Bloomberg they are aware of the problems discovered in the P-8 and are working on software solutions to those problems.

Read more: Report: Navy's New Submarine Hunter Doesn't Work | Defense Tech
Defense.org

Boeing Surveillance Plane Not Yet Effective, U.S. Tester Finds - Businessweek

Pentagon report: Indian Navy's new submarine hunter is ineffective | Business Standard

lol..and india already bought couple of them by spending billions...

lol..and india already bought couple of them by spending billions...
That is because the Indian's new about the US version and asked them to add extra sensors on the plane, you can look at the difference between P8I and the P8A there are more sensors on the Indian version.

Report: Navy’s New Submarine Hunter Doesn’t Work

by MIKE HOFFMAN on JANUARY 24, 2014

P-8torpedo.jpg

The U.S. Navy’s next generation submarine hunter isn’t any good yet at hunting enemy submarines, according to recent Defense Department tests first reported on by Bloomberg.

A report filed by Michael Gilmore, chief of the Pentagon testing office, stated that the P-8A Poseidon exhibited flaws in the “plane’s radar performance, sensor integration and data transfer,” according to Bloomberg reporter Tony Capaccio, who received an early version of Gilmore’s report.

The U.S. Navy has spent about $35 billion on the P-8. The reported stated that the aircraft, which was built to replace the P-3 Orion, is not yet deployable, according to Gilmore’s report.

The Navy ran the P-8 through strenuous combat testing from September 2012 to March 2013. Results of those tests led Gilmore to conclude that the P-8 “is not effective for the intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance mission and is not effective for wide area anti-submarine search,” according to the Bloomberg report.

U.S. officials outfitted a Boeing 737–800 with sensors capable of tracking submarines to produce the P-8. The Navy expected the P-8 to replace the P-3 and effectively track Chinese submarines.

The Navy plans to buy 113 of the P-8. So far, Boeing has delivered 13 of the aircraft.

Navy leaders told Bloomberg they are aware of the problems discovered in the P-8 and are working on software solutions to those problems.

Read more: Report: Navy's New Submarine Hunter Doesn't Work | Defense Tech
Defense.org

Boeing Surveillance Plane Not Yet Effective, U.S. Tester Finds - Businessweek

Pentagon report: Indian Navy's new submarine hunter is ineffective | Business Standard

The first two sources talk about P 8A being ineffective not P 8i which is upgraded with additional system.The third link is an Ajai Shukla article who manipulated the original bloomberg news report ..:hitwall:

P-8I-1.jpg

These sort of maritime patrol planes are too vulnerable in modern warfare. Big and not stealthy, they are sitting targets for air defense destroyers, fighter jets, even land based long range air defense.

Subs these days have AIP and many are already getting pump jets. These planes are not sensitive enough to effectively detect stealthy subs unless they can deploy mini sonar submarine drones.

Sonobuoys clog up the sea. Bad for nature.

P-8's MAD boom seems tiny compared to Y-8 maritime patrol plane's MAD boom.

1356952284_64112.jpg

Last edited:
P-8 is the real designation - I stands for India.

I know,perhaps this post by @sancho can help

The P8I has added multi mode radar and the MAD that is not added to the US version, to increase it's detection capabilities, be it against surface targets or submerged. The US navy however has different requirements and tactics, for the surveillance they plan with joint operations of the P8 with wither naval HALE drones, or small version, that can even be launched by the P8A. For the sub hunting, they also don't think that the 737 is a good platform for low level flights, which makes the MAD not important for them, again a field where smaller UAVs might be used. That's why they want to use sonobuoys to detect subs and use special wingkits for the torpedos, to remain at high altitudes.

So the report basically says, IN did the right thing to choose more capabilities, although I have my doubts about the usefulness of the 737 at low altitudes too. One reason I hope for a prop engined MRMR aircrafts, which is better suited for that.

And then,why did you change the title to ' p8i doesnt work'?why not 'p8 doesnt work'?

So the US navy kept all P8's which don't work and sold India all P8's that work......
This is a new one.....

If I am not wrong then Americans have not added many ASW systems(like Magnetic Anamoly Detection) on their P-8A(I dont know why) but India has added those.

P-3 already have sonobuoys and MAD. What's new with P-8? :coffee:

Personally, I prefer a turboprop anti sub patrol plane. Jet planes are maybe too fast for sub hunting.

So the US navy kept all P8's which don't work and sold India all P8's that work......
This is a new one.....

Or may be the conv was like this

US navy: " u see sub press button and boom !" and
Ind navy: " nufff said !!!! we giv billions sell it".
And guess what we hav taken the delivery of this aircraft and used by ppl who are blind folded.

Since you being a milt prof, i think you sure get the process rite !!!!.

P-8 is the real designation - I stands for India.
Yes.
And many technologies on A version that USN uses were removed by IN and many technologies that IN wanted specifically were added both by US and DRDO.

P-3 already have sonobuoys and MAD. What's new with P-8? :coffee:
Hydrocarbon sensors to detect diesel submarines, Increased range and duration, more weapon load. (in future ice detection system too which has problematic now)

Back
Top Bottom