What's new

Peepli Live Destroys Farid Zakaria's Myth of "Peaceful, Stable and Prosperous" India

Well, I haven't even watched the movie, nor do I watch many Indian movies at all. Amir Khan is the only actor that gets me to watch an Indian movie. But, if your comedy movies were used to judge your nation's sense of humor, then apart from a select few (Andaz Apna Apna, 3 Idiots, original Hera Pheri), they would indicate that you are a nation of very low standards of humor. I mean, we're talking fart-jokes and "yo mama" level comedy here.

Thankfully, I've had enough Indian friends throughout my lifetime for me to know that Indians can be, in fact, quite funny. It's the movies that let you down.

Since you like Amir Khan, have you watched Sarfarosh. Can that movie be used to illustrate that Pakistani state promotes terrorism and treats Mohajirs badly because it said so in that movie.

I mean I am good with dated surveys and reports, but using movies to make a point about a country (I mean Riaz's post and not your point about comedy movies, which I agree to except 3 idiots) is as lame as it gets.

Riaz has now forced me to copy my friend FoxBat's signature as mine too. @Foxbat, hope you dont mind..

ohhh really, so India does not have talent in comedy, please stop living in your delusional world, India has the finest actors in the world, and in terms of comedy, we have made some of the finest movies, so please keep your misguided opinion to yourself.

Don't be so angry buddy!
BTW how can you yourself judge Indian comedy when you yourself lack sense of humour. lol

From the comments of many Indian members I have seen, it's clear that they have either not read or have failed to comprehend my post.

Here are the key points to help you:

1. Peepli Live is not a Bollywood film. Neither the directors nor the actors have anything to do with Bollywood...Amir Khan is not in the film..nor has he made any contribution to the story or its making.

2. It deals with a real and a serious problem of farmers suicides in India...some 200,000 have committed suicides in the last 10 years.

3. The writer-producer-director has satirized well the problem of suicides as well as deep poverty and lack of sanitation problems, but she remains pessimistic that the Indian sate will solve this problem.

Haq's Musings: "Peepli Live" Destroys Indian Myths

From the comments of many Indian members I have seen, it's clear that they have either not read or have failed to comprehend my post.

Here are the key points to help you:

1. Peepli Live is not a Bollywood film. Neither the directors nor the actors have anything to do with Bollywood...Amir Khan is not in the film..nor has he made any contribution to the story or its making.

2. It deals with a real and a serious problem of farmers suicides in India...some 200,000 have committed suicides in the last 10 years.

3. The writer-producer-director has satirized well the problem of suicides as well as deep poverty and lack of sanitation problems, but she remains pessimistic that the Indian sate will solve this problem.

Haq's Musings: "Peepli Live" Destroys Indian Myths

:rofl:

1. Aamir Khan is the producer of the film. No contribution??
2. Some of cast from Bollywood:

a. Raghubir Yadav (over 50 bollywood films spanning 25 years)
b. Naseeruddin Shah (over 150 films in a bollywood career spanning 35 years)
c. Farrukh Jaffar
d. Malaika Shenoy
e. Vishal Sharma

check the rest here
Peepli Live (2010)

I agree that film shows looks at a serious issue. Just like Sarfarosh looked at the serious issue of terrorism and how it can be addressed by killing Pakistani terrorists instead of arresting them.

Whats good for Peter should be good for Paul.

Is nt it amazing how desperate he is, to find ways as to write pieces of things to make this country look bad.

So sad that there are no takers.

Lets wish him best of luck and send a free DVD of "peepli live" movie when released.

poverty exists everywhere; as do other factors that can lead to someone taking their life

hindustan is by far no exception.....highlighting issues doesnt mean you have to perceive it as making your ''country look bad''...200,000 suicides in just 10 years should raise alarm bells.

unless you people are that insecure

Wow you made our day
Point 1) Peepli Live is not bollywood movie. It's made in Pakistan maybe.
Point 2) Amir Khan has not acted on this movie and all are real characters just someone filmed them live.
So informative thoughts and see we are all misunderstanding RH, he knows about India more than us.

:rofl:

1. Aamir Khan is the producer of the film. No contribution??
2. Some of cast from Bollywood:

a. Raghubir Yadav (over 50 bollywood films spanning 25 years)
b. Naseeruddin Shah (over 150 films in a bollywood career spanning 35 years)
c. Farrukh Jaffar
d. Malaika Shenoy
e. Vishal Sharma

check the rest here
Peepli Live (2010)

I agree that film shows looks at a serious issue. Just like Sarfarosh looked at the serious issue of terrorism and how it can be addressed by killing Pakistani terrorists instead of arresting them.

Whats good for Peter should be good for Paul.

Having bit roles in Bollywood does not make one a Bollywood actor. If that were the case, millions of extras would be considered Bollywood actors.

Amir Khan has made no substantial contribution other than lending his name.

As to Sarfarosh, any film that advocates killing to solve any problem can not be a serious movie...it must be just another propaganda and action flick devoid of substance. Problem of terror can not be solved by terror. Such an approach will simply perpetuate the cycle of violence that we see today. Even the Americans like Gen Patraeus are talking about an 80-20 approach, with 80% emphasis on non-military efforts.

You have to discuss and get at the root causes.

Haq's Musings: 80/20 Strategy and Marshall Plan for Pakistan

poverty exists everywhere; as do other factors that can lead to someone taking their life

hindustan is by far no exception.....highlighting issues doesnt mean you have to perceive it as making your ''country look bad''...200,000 suicides in just 10 years should raise alarm bells.

unless you people are that insecure

suicide rate in India is 0.01% , well lower than countries like Japan, Switzerland, China, USA and Canada.

Pakistan btw does not report its suicide rates. Wonder why..

A news article did make it to the national news

DAWN.COM | National | ?Suicide rate up in Pakistan?

Having bit roles in Bollywood does not make one a Bollywood actor. If that were the case, millions of extras would be considered Bollywood actors.

As to Sarfarosh, any film that advocates killing to solve any problem can not be a serious movie...it must be just another propaganda and action flick devoid of substance. Problem of terror can not be solved by terror. Such an approach will simply perpetuate the cycle of violence that we see today. Even the Americans like Gen Patraeus are talking about an 80-20 approach, with 80% emphasis on non-military efforts.

You have to discuss and get at the root causes.

Haq's Musings: 80/20 Strategy and Marshall Plan for Pakistan

if u r so much frustrated about Indian movies why do u watch them....this all r propaganda movies churned out by the bollywood for Indian audience to enjoy......first of all stop complaining if u like to watch Bollywood movies....all Pakistani's never miss a moment to taunt at bollywood movies...but ask them they know each and every stories

if u r so much frustrated about Indian movies why do u watch them....this all r propaganda movies churned out by the bollywood for Indian audience to enjoy......first of all stop complaining if u like to watch Bollywood movies....all Pakistani's never miss a moment to taunt at bollywood movies...but ask them they know each and every stories

Dont be so naive and rude.. We now got a new film critic. So encourage him instead. Make a fund send him some DVDs and ask his review instead.

:D:D

I am very selective about watching movies...and I do watch foreign films in various languages screened in the US...particularly those that have been well received at Sundance. Peepli was well received at Sundance this year.

Do read up the link I pasted before making uninformed comments. Calling Naseeruddin Shah and Ragubir Yadav as extras is like calling Musharraf as One of the junior army officers in Pakistani army. :azn:

I am sure you as one of the financers of the film know that for a fact.

Sarfarosh also advocates the 80-20 approach. Kill the foreign terrorists (which in the movie were from Pakistan) and arrest and reform the Indians they influence. ;)

Back
Top Bottom