What's new

Peepli Live Destroys Farid Zakaria's Myth of "Peaceful, Stable and Prosperous" India

Well, I haven't even watched the movie, nor do I watch many Indian movies at all. Amir Khan is the only actor that gets me to watch an Indian movie. But, if your comedy movies were used to judge your nation's sense of humor, then apart from a select few (Andaz Apna Apna, 3 Idiots, original Hera Pheri), they would indicate that you are a nation of very low standards of humor. I mean, we're talking fart-jokes and "yo mama" level comedy here.

Thankfully, I've had enough Indian friends throughout my lifetime for me to know that Indians can be, in fact, quite funny. It's the movies that let you down.

In the rush to find fault , as with anything Ind - Pak the point was missed.

Anyway 'low standards ' of humor are better than lamenting over the past forever and only aid to look forward to in the future.

In the rush to find fault , as with anything Ind - Pak the point was missed.

Anyway 'low standards ' of humor are better than lamenting over the past forever and only aid to look forward to in the future.
Sir, I was only joking. That entire post was meant to be light-hearted. I am not an expert on comedy, I just don't like most comedy movies/shows coming out of India (for fairness, I mentioned some I did like).

Pakistani humor has let us down here. Sorry.

Welcome back :)

I'd prefer Peepli live to slumdog millionaire as it represent 77% of India.

PS:Anyway guys we should watch Moosa Khan,a very good educative perspective for all kafirs and evil baniya hindooos over here :rofl:

YouTube - Anti-Hindu scene in Pakistani Movie Moosa Khan(2001) part 2

This bought tears to my eyes

C'mon don't bring Pakistani movie clips into this ..or this thread will have to be transfered to joke section :lol:

Peepli live is a good movie ..It is time we introspect ..rectify our shortcomings.

Mod Edit:
Using bold and capital letters unnecessarily makes one look like an attention-seeking child. We don't like attention-seeking children on this forum. In the future, please keep this in mind.

Last edited:
C'mon don't bring Pakistani movie clips into this ..or this thread will have to be transfered to joke section :lol:

Peepli live is a good movie ..It is time we introspect ..rectify our shortcomings.

Edited buddy,In excitement i posted it to give an example of the ridiculous logic here that a movie can dispute statistical facts.

I very happy this movie came out,finally something real and general about our country.

Well, I haven't even watched the movie, nor do I watch many Indian movies at all. Amir Khan is the only actor that gets me to watch an Indian movie. But, if your comedy movies were used to judge your nation's sense of humor, then apart from a select few (Andaz Apna Apna, 3 Idiots, original Hera Pheri), they would indicate that you are a nation of very low standards of humor. I mean, we're talking fart-jokes and "yo mama" level comedy here.

Thankfully, I've had enough Indian friends throughout my lifetime for me to know that Indians can be, in fact, quite funny. It's the movies that let you down.

With all due respect,As long as the Bollywood Movies do their primary job of raking in the moolah and provide a source of income for millions - I dont care what they show or what other nations think of it.

I loved Peepli live- first day first show housefull. It was so satisfying. This year we Indians transformed bollywood. All the Bollywood producers who thought that they could just take us for a ride and put in crappy movies have been taught a lesson in recent years.

Salman Khan's Yuvraaj- Flop. Ravan- Flop. etc. etc. many many 'big budget' & 'big star' moves were kicked out and deservingly made to lose money for their attitude of taking the Indian audiences for granted. The real hits- 3 Idiots, Tare Zammen Par, Peepli Live, Tere Bin Laden....true 32 carat gold stuff. Excellent, excellent stuff. I think when the options came, Indian audiences proved that we genuinely like intelligent movies based on real issues. Sure a bit of escapism is allright (you don't wanna be drab anyway). But on the whole we live in good times.

Sir, I was only joking. That entire post was meant to be light-hearted. I am not an expert on comedy, I just don't like most comedy movies/shows coming out of India (for fairness, I mentioned some I did like).

Pakistani humor has let us down here. Sorry.

Hey, no offence meant & none taken.

I saw the film, nothing more than satire. India is doing remarkably well economically and political stability within an elected government, good FDI, internal growth and investor confidence have all played their role in boosting India's economy and it's film and entertainment industry has played a pivotal role in promoting brand India.

Pakistanis need to respect and accept India's global role and should conduct it's affairs in a mature and respectable manner to define it's own role on the international stage.

Now, compare India's wealth distribution to Pakistan's wealth distribution, which is much more uniform and by far the better way to go in the opinion of most economists. For Pakistan, the Top 10% own 27.6% of the wealth, whereas the Bottom 50% own 26.5%. The middle-class, therefore, owns between 40% to 50% f the national wealth (Source: Pakistan Poverty and wealth, Information about Poverty and wealth in Pakistan)

in pakistan ,some of the best lands are controlled by the army.

you claim that the middle class owns 40-50 percent of the wealth , but the middle class is not that big in pakistan.

feudalism exists in many parts and landlords control the rural parts.

we in india have certainly made a reasonably successful attempt to redistribute the lands controlled by landlords to the peasants , and though we cant claim complete success in that , we certainly have at least made some progress in that direction .

of course ,the army does not own much land or exploit it in india.

films like peepli show that india's democracy has the freedom to allow film directors to show the shortcomings of society.........unlike pakistan ,where nobody has the guts to admit to such similar shortcomings of its society ,which do exist , by the way.......:azn:

Keep other matters apart! India as a nation does not have any talent in comedy department!
Dance and singing is one they are expert of.

Keep other matters apart! India as a nation does not have any talent in comedy department!
Dance and singing is one they are expert of.

ohhh really, so India does not have talent in comedy, please stop living in your delusional world, India has the finest actors in the world, and in terms of comedy, we have made some of the finest movies, so please keep your misguided opinion to yourself.

Last edited:

sorry you are totally wrong, you are judging a whole industry on some movies which again shows your short sightedness. India has always had high standards of comedy. Bad comedies are rejected by the general public and do not represent the general standard. Please do not indulge in generalization when its obvious that you fail to realize that India is not only bollywood. If you really want to judge like that then please let me know when is the last time Hollywood made a good enough comedy, apart from sex related jokes, hollywood comedies are nothing but skin show craps. Sorry but I do not agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom