What's new

College text has material from Pakistani defence site

PDF is good to help these undergraduate students to learn about harsh realities of india :D

otherwise all they get on indian media/forums is rosy picture of india where all is well :P

Traditionally Indians have always had faith in their ruling class.

There is this news report that Mumbai varsity book has chapter on human rights in India and the material is taken from a Pakistani defence website. could it be PDF?

Mumbai varsity course text has material from Pakistani defence site - The Times of India

Thousands of undergraduate students, studying under the University of Mumbai, have taken lessons on human rights violations, the caste divide in India, and the alleged communal bias of the Indian Army and police from a Foundation Course-II (FC-II) book that has material sourced from Pakistan's defence website.

TOI reported on January 18 that Professor Michael Vaz authored the book, which has the controversial and communally sensitive content and is meant for first and second-year students. Vaz now claims that he was unaware that the selective content in the book came from the Pakistani site. "I was unaware that some of the content in the book was sourced from the Pakistan defence website. I do not want to talk on this issue, but will assure you that the new book will delete all such controversial references," Vaz told TOI. Critics had termed content in the book's chapter " Human Rights Violations and Redressal" as controversial.

The book, published by Mannan Prakashan, stirred a string of protests from political parties, with senior BJP functionary Sanjay Kelkar and general secretary from Navi Mumbai, Santosh Pachlag, holding a demonstration and burning copies of the book at Vashi, Navi Mumbai on January 18.

Pachlag said that less than a week after the TOI report, Vaz sent him a letter of regret stating that the controversial content in the book was not his own comments, but were sourced from newspaper reports and articles on the net. "In his letter, Professor Vaz shared the URL from where he had copied the content. One of the links was that of Pakistan's defence, wherein a commentator had painted a picture of India as an anarchic state torn by communal bias and caste-hatred," said Pachlag. "It's all vague commentary taken out of context by the writer and used to demonize India. However, it is very unfortunate that our students should be taught all that and that too in their textbook."

Pachlag added, "The topics in the FC course are meant to sensitize the student community towards human rights violations and bring before it a true picture of the goings-on. Instead, the book is a propaganda tool for spreading lies about our nation and Professor Vaz has copied the content from a Pakistani website without bothering to verify the facts. Neither has the learned academician or the publisher thought it important to present a view and counter-view on the issue and now they want to wash their hands of the controversy."

Pachlag said the book's publisher, Nitin Shah, has given an unconditional apology, but it is too little too late as students have prepared for their exams from the book which is bound to colour their minds.

The BJP functionary added that they will take up the case with the police and press for sedition charges against the author and publisher. "It is not only anti-national but also a fraud as there is a clear copyright violation here by the author."

Vaz, on his part, said his new book would be vetted carefully and any blame ascribed to political parties or the mentioning of names would be strictly avoided.

Idiots do not even know that such links like PDF or Youtube can never be used as a reference for University!

All of you, say Hi to Professor Vaz and many like him lurking around here to know the truth.

th_hand-waving.gif

:D

He was banned sometime ago for his bluster and anti India, anti Israeli, anti American, anti Semite, anti Jew, anti Hindu, and anti world views!! That must have got the Weby's goat who promptly hauled him over the coals, strung him up and left him to dry! Jeeez! :lol:

He ran for cover and he's probably cooling his heels in the lock-up till this day! :chilli:
Don't worry He will be back really very soon

Media reports for data can be

I was taught to use credible sources when giving a a reference for example I can quote from whatever newspaper or a credible website for example Human rights watch but I must name the author/publisher.

Quoting from PDF which uses third parties is ridiculous who is the publisher behind the source? we must give the source of the original link and not use third parties is the issue.

I was taught to use credible sources when giving a a reference for example I can quote from whatever newspaper or a credible website for example Human rights watch but I must name the author/publisher.

Quoting from PDF which uses third parties is ridiculous who is the publisher behind the source? we must give the source of the original link and not use third parties is the issue.

I dint read the book but it is clear case where the book has quoted a link (read data soruce from either a newspaper or NGO/Intel HR body posted on PDF).

This means the end source is NOT PDF but what was posted on PDF from other sources.

The only issue here the Indians have NOT The credibility but the word Pakistani Defence website/forum.

above all the Indians are not willing to accept that in India cast based discrimination against Dalit Hindus is still prevailing

Oh by the way Times of India does visit this site :P

rondoos

I dint read the book but it is clear case where the book has quoted a link (read data soruce from either a newspaper or NGO/Intel HR body posted on PDF).

This means the end source is NOT PDF but what was posted on PDF from other sources.

The only issue here the Indians have NOT The credibility but the word Pakistani Defence website/forum.

above all the Indians are not willing to accept that in India cast based discrimination against Dalit Hindus is still prevailing

That is my point you can not give a reference using third parties you must quote the original link there was no reason to say it is posted on PDF or Indian defence site because they did not contribute to the report!

No wonder the state of further education in India is appalling if I was their teacher I would have caned them! :angry:

Wat da fuq!!!

How does anti-national content find it's way into the syllabus in the first place? It's the equivalent of the Americans teaching the Phoenix Program and prisoner abuse at Bagram to their students. No nation on the planet would go along with such nonsense.

That is my point you can not give a reference using third parties you must quote the original link there was no reason to say it is posted on PDF or Indian defence site because they did not contribute to the report!

Most of the times when members post stuff in here they also mention the source of information or statistics (opinions of expert , NGos, survey/surveyor, newspapers,Wikipedia,videos etc) at the end of the their post. Even Wikipedia is not reliable source for academic purpose but it gather information from different sources which are mentioned under references

I think being an Indian, i should really appreciate the effort and eagerness of those people who are contributed immensely to develop and maintain this foroum...Truely it is appreciable...Being the people from India, I can definitely say that the moderator of this forom has done a great job.

Well I dont know why Pakistanis are laughing..this could result in PDF getting banned in India..surely the Admins are not laughing.

Back
Top Bottom